Sol Campbell quits Notts County after one game; impossible in FM?

In real life it appears that Sol Campbell is quitting Notts County after playing only one game for the club. The problem is not lack of first team football, difficulties adjusting or relationships with staff/players. He simply regrets joining and immediately wants to leave.

Should this type of scenario be implemented into Football Manager? For example, if you are managing a small club and land a big player, should it be possible that they immediately want to leave? As far as I am aware it is currently impossible in the game. Players never immediately want to leave a club after only one game.

Players want to leave clubs all the time in FM, but never straight away. In light of the Sol Campbell situation, should changes be made?

Have you seen any other examples irl?

I have seen players wanting to leave immediately if they "feel they were brought to the club under false pretences". That's well okay, but for other reasons I don't remember seeing that elsewhere ever.

We should not start introducing this as a feature after it has happened irl just once in a blue moon. It would lead to happening in the game way too often.

Players who join you and state that your club is just a stop in he's way to glory (under this you guess that high profile teams are involved) are stating almost the same. Those are the players which you hardly can keep more then 2 seasons which in my opinion is bad business unless you get a huge profit out of them.

i have just signed a player in the close season and when i took a closer look at the start of the season he was'nt really any better than what i had got. so i have only played him in 1 game and now 8 games into the new season he wants to leave. not quite the same as sol but close.

You do get players wanting to leave almost immediately, if they feel they were "brought to the club under false pretences" and i think thats sufficient in the game tbh. this kind of situation hardly ever crops up irl, so no need to include it in the game.

bearing in mind the thread thats floating around in here saying the game is "cheating" cos players want to move to bigger clubs, can you imagine the response if a player did a sol?!

If a player feels hes "brought to the club under false pretences", he should always accept a mutual termination and everyone can be happy. It makes no sense for a player to want to leave the club and then refuse when you let him leave.

That's actually a good point. It's always kind of frustrated me how some players won't accept a mutual termination even though they aren't happy for reasons such as that.

Have you seen any other examples irl?

I have seen players wanting to leave immediately if they "feel they were brought to the club under false pretences". That's well okay, but for other reasons I don't remember seeing that elsewhere ever.

We should not start introducing this as a feature after it has happened irl just once in a blue moon. It would lead to happening in the game way too often.

hameour bouazza at sivasspor in turkey now at blackpool

it does happen more often. remember didi hamann signed for bolton then went to city the next day. david unsworth was at west ham(?) for about 30 days. there was something with kevin campbell in turkey i dont know how long he was there for but he left quite quickly after the chairman called him a canabil(sp). i could see this being introduced but it would have to be a rare occurence.

it does happen more often. remember didi hamann signed for bolton then went to city the next day. david unsworth was at west ham(?) for about 30 days. there was something with kevin campbell in turkey i dont know how long he was there for but he left quite quickly after the chairman called him a canabil(sp). i could see this being introduced but it would have to be a rare occurence.

was it villa that unsworth signed for and then said his wife did'nt like it in the midlands or something and quickly moved on.

was it villa that unsworth signed for and then said his wife did'nt like it in the midlands or something and quickly moved on.

yeh i wasnt sure if it was villa or west ham but just a few examples. theres always the magical ali dia example at southampton was it 23 minutes or something.

yeh i wasnt sure if it was villa or west ham but just a few examples. theres always the magical ali dia example at southampton was it 23 minutes or something.

Did'nt he claim to be the cousin of george weah and graham souness put him on the bench and sent him on, based on that one claim.

• SI Staff

In real life, he can't sign for another football league club, or a Blue Square Premier side til January. We think it applies to the Prem too, although we haven't had confirmation on that from anyone. He could, potentially, move abroad, depending on the rules for a particular league. Basically, a player isn't allowed to sign permanently for 2 clubs in England in one window.

In FM, he'll be starting on a free, and available to sign, as he hasn't actually signed for anyone in FM (has been much debated today!).

In real life, he can't sign for another football league club, or a Blue Square Premier side til January. We think it applies to the Prem too, although we haven't had confirmation on that from anyone. He could, potentially, move abroad, depending on the rules for a particular league. Basically, a player isn't allowed to sign permanently for 2 clubs in England in one window.

In FM, he'll be starting on a free, and available to sign, as he hasn't actually signed for anyone in FM (has been much debated today!).

this is the most sensible approach and also offers the fun element of being able to sign campbell if you take over the reigns of a lower prem/good championship side.

much like when taribo west started on a free a few versions back.

:D

I knew you weren't allowed to play for more than three clubs in a season, but not that you couldn't sign for two in one transfer window.

Oh well I hope Sol goes abroad for a few months then comes back. Maybe he could play for Leeds :D

Oh, speaking of which, we signed David Livermore a couple of years ago, then he left within a couple of days for Hull I think. The fee was exactly the same though.

Players who join you and state that your club is just a stop in he's way to glory (under this you guess that high profile teams are involved) are stating almost the same. Those are the players which you hardly can keep more then 2 seasons which in my opinion is bad business unless you get a huge profit out of them.

This is what Lassana Diarra Did at Portsmouth, and probably what Defoe, Crouch, Kranjcar, and Johnson had in mind also, except Diarra was the only one to state it when he joined, so if this feature was implemented in FM, I'd like to see a news message about it.

I knew you weren't allowed to play for more than three clubs in a season, but not that you couldn't sign for two in one transfer window.

Oh well I hope Sol goes abroad for a few months then comes back. Maybe he could play for Leeds :D

Oh, speaking of which, we signed David Livermore a couple of years ago, then he left within a couple of days for Hull I think. The fee was exactly the same though.

leeds don't need campbell we have kisnorbo!!!!!!!!!! :)

Teletext? What decade are we in here...

maybe he ment the red button on bbc or the text service on itv, dont know if its still called teletext? or is it just itv text, i never use it because it is sooooo slow compared with the bbc service.

Teletext? What decade are we in here...

My old man still uses teletext. Finds it easier than typing and shizz.

If he's on a free i might re-sign him for Notts County on fm10 :D but he's 35, but would still be good for League 2

He's still good enough for the Premier League imo. I'd have him at Brum and many clubs around us would say the same.

Precisely, if he didn't play well in a League 2 club, then there's no hope in The Prem, I agree match fitness etc, but I'm sure he's not Prem standards.

It was only one game in fairness. It was a different team, a different league and he was against different types of opposition, he was never going to set the game alight that game.

Archived