First thoughts on FM?

CM2 for me also. Played it at every chance I got, as I was all football at that age. I have vague memories of Ipswich Town with Alessandro Melli up front (but I don't know if I am confusing two different saves here :confused:) Good times

Edit: Also, I remember all my mates at the time were like "why play a managing game? Why don't you play a game where you actually control the players?!" Needless to say, most of them became CM/Fm fans soon enough ;)

01/02 I think. I started out with LMA because I only had a console and I remember all my mates talking about CM and I was still watching Wanchope score for fun on LMA. I gave into the peer pressure and tried out CM. Thought it was great, don't recall playing LMA again after that!

I remember on one of the early versions there was a striker called 'Chris Smith' who had 1s for every single attribute, without exception.

At school I told everyone he was a cheat player who if offered a 5 year contract on £50k p/w would score hattricks at least every game.

The next day I got called a nasty name :D

My first was FM07, and even though I was really into football, I hardly knew anything about foreign players that weren't the world class ones.

So getting to grips with it was pretty daunting, as I had no idea about what players to sign, etc.

I think it was CM 93/94 or similiar; it was on an early home PC and came on a floppy disk made by Domark... Still remember the box, had a balding 'manager' pointing at you in a sheepskin coat. I had an amazing game with Brighton. Chris Bart-Williams and Ryan Giggs were absolute legends. You could play a brilliant formation with 1 D C, 1 DM C, 1 M C, 1 AM C, 2 wingers and 4 S Cs. Superb, called it 'The Crucifix' and my forwards would score 50- 60 goals each. Delicious unrealistic and addictive. Also remember having to spend hours watching an old-school Grandstand type vidiprinter as the game processed. Classic. :)

CM 03-04 me and all the lads in the same league battling up the table all playing the diablo tactic!!

those were the days!

Gillingham in the premiership with there CM scoring over 60 goals with finishing stat off like 10. haha

I remember playing old Championship Manager games - I think CM2 would have been the first version I played - round at my next door neighbours house. We used to sit in his spare room for hours. I didn't have a computer at my house at the time, so I thought that it was the coolest thing ever! I remember once we were playing a game and we had our goalkeeper sent off after conceding a penalty, and we had already made 3 subs, so had to put Uwe Rosler (remember him?) in goal...I can still remember the commentary text flashing up with "And Rosler saves it!" Brilliant. Also, I remember the 'cheat' where if you started a game and entered your name as the current international manager, you could manage the country in question. Since then, I've played most of the CM's and since the CM/FM split, all the FMs. When I was younger, about 15 or 16, my school friends and I always used to play with the Arsenals and Man Uniteds of this world, purely to see what Dream Teams we could assemble, and how many trophies we could win, and print off the evidence as bragging rights!

I remember Uwe Rösler playing at Dresden , City, Kaiserlautern and Unterhaching among others...were is my Throphy ;-)
No trophy I'm afraid, but consider this a virtual pat on the back for your Uwe Rösler knowledge :)

My first football management experience was with EA Sports' FA Premier League Manager 2001; thought it was great and got the 2002 version which was even better. However it was ridiculously easy and I seem to remember winning every single game at least 4-0.

Then I went round a friend's house and watched him play CM3, so I bought it myself and literally cried over how bad it was. But I persevered and got CM4 the next year and have never looked back since then.

CM2 was the first one for me as a young kid. I still remember finding wimbledon impossible to beat whenever i played them, yet when i managed them i couldnt win a game! I really enjoyed CM3 as well, played as england so far that the game told me i couldnt go any further and i was devestated.

It was CM01/02 with my friend (who I was also playing FM09 with last week) and we were Celtic. For fun we sold all our players and signed players with funny names like 'Marcus Jobbie' and 'Michael Jackson'. (We were about 8) and we named the save game 'Mr. Sack' because every club we went to we got sacked. Funnily enough, he still has that save on an old computer.

CM 03/04. I was Tottenham and spent the transfer funds (6M) they gave me on Papa Bouba Diop and another two guys. Then my first ever game i lost to Leeds by 2-0.

Then I went in "financial crisis" lol and finished my first ever season 10th, which I thought wasnt too bad.

My first management game experience was Premier Manager 98 on the Playstation. I must admit I thought I was buying a game where you controlled players for some reason. Despite the discovery that that wasn't the case I loved it though, and bought PM99 when it came out.

Since then I got into EA Sports FAPLM2000 and 2002. 2000 was the most buggy game I've ever played, but I still enjoyed it. I also played LMA Manager 2001 on the Playstation, as well as TCM2003 and LMA2004.

At some point though I came across a demo of CM01/02, which seemed a very different game to the others I'd played. The depth of the game, even in a demo struck me, and I bought CM4 after that and have bought every CM/FM game SI have released since then, and I have to say they've nearly always got better each year with the exception of FM2008.

I've not touched a rival series since LMA2004, and I've got no intention of doing so either. Whilst I enjoyed all the other games at the time, now I've grown up a little I prefer the realism and the challenge FM brings, rather than the gimmicks of the others.

CM3 demo, and I thought "Oh god, this is a bit too much for me!". It was the most involving footy sim I'd played and it only lasted me 10 minutes. A year later, my brain capacity grew (slightly) and I bought CM00/01 and thought it was awesome.

Anyone remember Premier Manager? I played that before the CM games. I think CM2 was the first of this series I played. I must have wasted weeks and weeks of my life on this franchise!!

I remember Premier Manager. I seem to remember only being able to start as a lower division club, and Wycombe Wanderers would always kick ass with Martin O'Neill as manager!

I remember Premier Manager. I seem to remember only being able to start as a lower division club, and Wycombe Wanderers would always kick ass with Martin O'Neill as manager!

Was that the one with the wheel with the kits on it as an anti piracy device?

I think I played that one quite a bit and seem to remember Wycombe being rather awesome.

Wasn't too keen on the 'your player has died after being hit by lightning' message though.

I think I played that one quite a bit and seem to remember Wycombe being rather awesome.

Wasn't too keen on the 'your player has died after being hit by lightning' message though.

Sounds great from my point of view :D (Being a Wycombe Wanderers Fan :D)

Yes I remember the "anti-piracy wheel device" Not sure whether it was PM or CM to be honest. However I do remember my mate ringin me everyday wanting the code of the wheel!

Does the original Football Manager game on the Spectrum count?

If so, that in the 80s, otherwise Championship Manager 2, loved the game.

I'd say so, original Football Manager on the BBC Micro for me, mode 7 teletext graphics FTW :D

Between FM and CM &FM there's one footy game game I played, Wizards software's "one-nil". Thought it was pretty good, anyone rememeber that one?

Use to love Premier Manager, with the star system to show attributes, Taylor use to be a cheap signing at 4 and a half stars and Faustino Aspirlla was a world beater, there were a couple of other games on the way to FM 05 which was the first time i really got submerged including Four Four Two which was different for sure.

Does the original Football Manager game on the Spectrum count?

If so, that in the 80s, otherwise Championship Manager 2, loved the game.

Yes! I remeber playing the Speccy FM with the black and white stick figues . Used to get really excited as I could print out the league table on the little printer attachment you could get with the spectrum.

My goalkeeper always used to break his leg in the 2nd week of the season too!

Started off with:

CM2 97/98 (Loved the editor cos you could bring Cantona out of retirement!)

Ultimate Soccer manager '98 (Brilliant!)

Fifa Manager 2000 (crap)

LMA

CM3 (2001ish?)

CM4

CM5 (Probably the game I've played the least. I didn't realise Eidos and SI had Split. Absolute Tripe!)

FM2005 (Sanity resotred!)

FM2006

FM2007

FM2008

FM2009

FM2010 (Pre-Order :D)

I've also ordered CM 2010. Not expecting much for £2.51, but will fill the gap til FM2010!

Started off with:

CM2 97/98

Ultimate Soccer manager '98 (Which was brilliant!)

Fifa Manager 2000 (crap)

LMA

CM3 (2001ish?)

CM4

CM5 (Probably the game I've played the least. I didn't realsie Eidos and SI had Split. Absolute Tripe!)

FM2005 (Sanity resotred!)

FM2006

FM2007

FM2008

FM2009

FM2010 (Pre-Order :D)

I've also ordered CM 2010. Not expecting much for £2.51, but will fill the gap til FM2010!

CM5 comment, quality, made me laugh.

I have bought every game and played every game, obviously switching to FM when the split happened so nice to see the changes and how far all this has come since I got that massive first box with the tiny blue discs in!

My mate gave me the first ever CM and I can still remember carrying it home from school with the discs rattling inside not knowing what joy was concealed in those bits of plastic! Amount of times I had to mess about with the discs because the y became corrupt or whatever it was and you could get the programs on the old amiga which would show you what fragments of the disc were knackered and you could fix etc. How times have changed :thup:

I played CM93/94, and played as man utd. I Thought it was ace, In midfield of keane, ince and bryan robson. Hughes and cantona up front, bruce, pallister parker and irwin at the back, big pete in goal, and lee sharpe.

What a side, I used to try and buy chirs sutton from norwich, and also try to sign gazza, duncan ferguson, and micheal laudrup from abroad.

I had an interesting idea about how to pick a good team. I used to base it all on morale. I didnt really look at the stats, I was only 9, and didnt actually know what morale meant. So thought the 'Superb, Very Good etc was how good they were as players.

Cute in a way. I still used to win loads tho.

Archived