Sad news-Football Manager Will Not Get You A Job

Hello Everyone,

So early last week the team that I play as (Blyth Spartans) Fired their Manager, at the bottom of the press release they said that if anyone was interested in the position to email them.

So thats exactly what I did, except I created a resume based off of my football manager career. I made it known to them that it was football manager and put in all sorts of achievements etc mixed with my actual profession.

I wanted to get to the bottom of "how realistic is football manager really..."

well sad news came yesterday, I got rejected in my bid to become the Blyth Spartans new manager.

It turns out that FM is not realistic enough to count as job experience.

For anyone interested in looking at what I wrote for my resume i have added a link below, scan it with whatever antivirus you have if you are worried, it is simply a word file with no macros.

www.subzeroping.com/Foster_Jason_Resume.doc

Here is my official response from their general manager

Good morning Jason,

If you are serious with your application I would be grateful if you could send me details of your actual football career to date and not that which has been obtained on your PC. Only then will your application be considered,

kind regards,

BSFC

My only update currently is the letter the General Manager sent to me was also sent to the chairman and two other individuals. I might get a response from one of them... it might not be over, but probably is. It was a longshot anyway since I would have to manage the team from California, USA

Well the first time you try to explain that you want the full backs to overlap by having a mentallity 5 notches higher with forward runs on and a few nothes increased in creativity, ... I think the Board would realise that you were a ......

LOL.

Actually I read 6-7 years ago that someone did apply for a Conference (or lower, can't recall) job and the Head Honcho invited them along, not for an interview - obviously, but to show them how the club was set up and how real management in Footy differs from a "game".

I once applied for the England job I still have the letter somewhere saying I was unsuccessful but thanks for trying.

The best one was a detailed plan to Bradford City about which coaching staff I would bring in the type of players they were impressed but said the lack of experience and past went against me. Good job really I had Stan Collymore down for assistant manager.

My only update currently is the letter the General Manager sent to me was also sent to the chairman and two other individuals. I might get a response from one of them... it might not be over, but probably is. It was a longshot anyway since I would have to manage the team from California, USA

You might actually have been one of the better candidates ;)

You might actually have been one of the better candidates ;)

Thats pretty funny, I remember their manager one time responding to the press question "what went wrong today" by saying " I have no clue... If i knew that I would be managing a bigger team.

I might very well have been the best canidate!

My guess is that most vacancies for real managers attract these kinds of applications; I'm sure most are immediately binned. Steve Gibson stands out as a legend in his witty reply. Even with Boro going down, he will always be the most legendary chairman in the FM community for that reason. Top bloke!

it's pretty rediculous really. i have had some amazing saves on FM but would never even think of applying for a real position at a club. if you put me in front of a real team i wouldn't stand a chance

it is just a (bloody good) game, not real life or real life experience

I think football manager expierence should count but ofcourse, the players would not respect you.

but in the real world your centreback won't get 10 goals a season by standing on the near post and man management is about a million times more difficult.

Hasn't Moyes and Juande Ramos used FM to scout players? I think I read something about them related to FM around 1 year ago.

Everton have scouting rights on the FM DB iirc.

As for FM not getting you a job are surprised really:confused:

I used to well on theme park but didnt feel it qualified my to apply for the General Managers job at Alton Towers:p

you are not going to get a job with a blue square norrth team just because of football manager if your seriously wanna get into football look at a club in the rymans league or summin like that

Nothing gets past you aye.

but in the real world your centreback won't get 10 goals a season by standing on the near post and man management is about a million times more difficult.

I agree especially with the man management comment you made.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Do you really think that after 5 years of FM experience you're able to communicate with Cristiano Ronaldo??? Nah-ah.

I beg to differ, football manager can get you a job, ive just been to an interview at my local supermarket and the guy interviewing me had football manager on his laptop and we ended up talking about it for a bit, in fact we barely talked about the usual crap you get in an interview, it was pretty much just a footy man discussion, i put me getting the job down to footy man:D

My only intention of submitting my "FM Resume" was the hopes of getting an official rejection letter, i thought that would have been great, but alas all i got was a rejection email.

Its a good think that i have a job as a programmer... since my only "real" football experience was from the ages of 6-9 and I "retired" after scoring my first goal... i was a defender.

I beg to differ, football manager can get you a job, ive just been to an interview at my local supermarket and the guy interviewing me had football manager on his laptop and we ended up talking about it for a bit, in fact we barely talked about the usual crap you get in an interview, it was pretty much just a footy man discussion, i put me getting the job down to footy man:D

See lads, there is hope yet!

Lucky the interviewer wasn't a CM fan.

My guess is that most vacancies for real managers attract these kinds of applications; I'm sure most are immediately binned. Steve Gibson stands out as a legend in his witty reply. Even with Boro going down, he will always be the most legendary chairman in the FM community for that reason. Top bloke!

Just got back from the game against Man Utd and I can' think of many other clubs where the fans wave a banner featuring a banner of the chairman. Three managers in 15 years show what a top bloke Gibson is. I'm not a Middlesbrough fan - I'm a regular at the Riverside by virtue of a smoggie fiancee - but whilst resident in the North East I'll continue to follow the Boro in the Championship, even if the whinging mags and the slack jawed mackems manage to stay up.

Gary Johnson, the Bristol City manager, did an interview recently where he was complaining about the fans who sit behind the City dugout always shouting advice and made some comment about how they should stick to playing championship manager [sic].

Donadoni got the nod ahead of me when I applied to Napoli in real life a few months ago.

I guess my rep wasnt high enough, considering I was Managing Watford to relegation in FM at the time. :D

BTW jokes aside, I did get a job once in IT (for IBM) and all we spoke about in the interview was about football and annoying injuries players get. The manager thought I was easy to get a long with and cause he was a football fanatic he hired me, regardless of my skills (which he said "can be learnt on the job).

Well if you look at things,

Gago (Real Madrid)

Higuain (Real Madrid)

Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Plenty more, all amazing on FM before they had anything to do with Real, am i the only person who see's a pattern.

Gago (Real Madrid)

Higuain (Real Madrid)

Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Plenty more, all amazing on FM before they had anything to do with Real, am i the only person who see's a pattern.

Only if the pattern includes other legends such as Cherno Samba, Tonton Makoula [sp?], To Madeira etc etc ;)

• SI Staff

I think it was the:

. I also have relatives who live in Leicester who can check on the team whenever I request.

which probably tipped them off to the fact you weren't serious ...

LOL :D

Gago (Real Madrid)

Higuain (Real Madrid)

Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Real Madrid have a great scouting network. Those three were playing very well in real life. You've added up 2+2 to get 7, I'm afraid.

YES! Two goals reached with a single task! I got a rejection notice from Blyth Spartans AND a reply and quote by Marc Vaughan himself. I can now live out the rest of my life playing fm with a grin on my face. Thanks for fufulling my dream.

Jason

Archived