Booted up FM 2009 to Show How Much Better Than FM20 It Is

26 minutes ago, jckc221013jamie said:

So it should be better your comparing something from 10 years ago tbf it should a 100 times better but it ain't

100 times better in 10 years means you're expecting a 10-fold improvement every year.

I'm not sure annually released games like FIFA, which brings in $800 million a year from in-game revenue alone (that's on top of the purchase price), are managing that with MUCH bigger teams and MUCH bigger budgets.

Even AAA games that are released years apart, like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption from Rockstar for example, rarely come close to a 10-fold improvement unless it coincides with a next-gen console release or something. Even then, it's more dictated by the graphics capabilities of the new console than massive improvements in the core gameplay.

In August 2017, Miles tweeted to celebrate a million sales. Let's be generous and say that's doubled and they got 2 million sales last year, at full price (which won't be the case because many people pre-order or wait to get some kind of discount), that would net Sports Interactive $120 million. And unlike EA, it's their only title bringing in big money.

Not sure that level of expectation can ever be fulfilled.

either way it should be a lot better than it is simple as that so and them other games do make major improvements unlike what SI do is all we get is animation update's and silly things like that 

I know that SI don't make as much money as EA sports and that but the graphics and match engine should be a lot better

Edited by jckc221013jamie

16 minutes ago, jckc221013jamie said:

either way it should be a lot better than it is simple as that so and them other games do make major improvements unlike what SI do is all we get is animation update's and silly things like that 

I know that SI don't make as much money as EA sports and that but the graphics and match engine should be a lot better

The graphics are deliberately kept on the simpler side to make the game scaleable across all kinds of setups.

They're perfectly functional for the game.

2 minutes ago, jckc221013jamie said:

I get what you're saying, but I just think there has to be some awareness as well.

"... all we get is animation updates ..." is a bit flippant. The way they've overhauled training and mentoring, tactics and player roles, and this year with the career paths, etc. is all pretty big in terms of changing and improving how the game works. It might not be perfect, but no game ever is on release.

Seriously, just go look at the "Bugs" section of the forum for any game ever.

And anyway, this is a Football Management simulation game after all.

I totally agree that I would like the graphics and match engine to be better, but I'm also aware that they are not the main reason I enjoy the game.

As kev says:

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

They're perfectly functional for the game.

I would also like Sports Interactive to continue to offer me new features and new options when it comes to actually managing my team and players, interacting with my board and staff, etc.

You know, the Football Management simulation side of things.

So smaller improvements to the match engine and graphics each year is totally worth it if they are delivering on that side - which I generally think they are.

Again, not perfect, but no game is in the first month of release.

12 minutes ago, rockpie said:

I get what you're saying, but I just think there has to be some awareness as well.

"... all we get is animation updates ..." is a bit flippant. The way they've overhauled training and mentoring, tactics and player roles, and this year with the career paths, etc. is all pretty big in terms of changing and improving how the game works. It might not be perfect, but no game ever is on release.

Seriously, just go look at the "Bugs" section of the forum for any game ever.

And anyway, this is a Football Management simulation game after all.

I totally agree that I would like the graphics and match engine to be better, but I'm also aware that they are not the main reason I enjoy the game.

As kev says:

I would also like Sports Interactive to continue to offer me new features and new options when it comes to actually managing my team and players, interacting with my board and staff, etc.

You know, the Football Management simulation side of things.

So smaller improvements to the match engine and graphics each year is totally worth it if they are delivering on that side - which I generally think they are.

Again, not perfect, but no game is in the first month of release.

Yeah i said that a bit wrong i think what they have done to the game is absolutely brilliant i was actually just on about the match engine and graphics apart from the ME the game is by far the best that their as been so i should of been clearer about that

It is just the player's look like they are ice skating, they stop dead before attempting to cross the ball their is no collision engine the keepers can't get sent off ect that is what i'm on about 

Edited by jckc221013jamie

15 minutes ago, jckc221013jamie said:

It is just the player's look like they are ice skating, they stop dead before attempting to cross the ball their is no collision engine the keepers can't get sent off ect that is what i'm on about 

For sure there is plenty of room for improvement with animations.

Don't know for sure if goalkeepers actually can't get sent off or if it just happens super rarely. Maybe @herne79 knows if/why that's the case?

And a collision engine would be lovely, I agree. But at the same time, in a football management simulation game, I don't think it should be a huge priority.

Maybe we'll get there someday. :)

It's actually not true that there is no collision detection because there is. Unlike FM12 (which is for some reason said to be a better game in another thread) your players could just ghost through other players. But yeah, it is true that goalies don't make a lot of penalty mistakes and/or red card offenses. 

3 saat önce, rockpie said:

3 saat önce, jckc221013jamie said:

So it should be better your comparing something from 10 years ago tbf it should a 100 times better but it ain't

100 times better in 10 years means you're expecting a 10-fold improvement every year.

Looks like you’re not so good at math :)

Just joking :) But the ME is really not good enough when you compare it a 10 year old version. It should be more and more developed but not. We’re still struggling with silly bugs in year 2019.

There is no collision detection. E.g. Players able to "physically" collide against one another.

There is a collision avoidance. E.g. the Code recognizes if a Player is occupying a space, and Forces other players to run around his off the ball rather than straight through. It's been introduced by FM13. All Versions Prior, FM 09 included Players "ghosted" off the ball.

The latter is somewhat less complex. The former meanwhile would allow there to be aspects of physical defending to be better simulated.

Edited by Svenc

It's been a decade and a half of FM and even more of CM, have people still not realised the beta phase ends in February when we get the real game? This is the buggy part of release. What's the big surprise?

Personally I think FM 2007 is yards better than FM 2014 though.

Great post @Zanman777, a lot of effort put in to create it. 

I fully agree, there are far too many 'features' that exist for the sake of it (tone of voice, touchline shouts etc). SI make a new game every year, with a ton of bugs, a plethora of features that have literally never worked, and by the time the game is finished (after January transfer window update), the next game is well under way and so the cycle continues... 

With the new additions, I think it's a question of does FM try to be a new FM, or a new football manager simulator?

With each year the game is less and less 'realistic'. If it was real 10 years ago, it would involve mostly watching loads of random games and sitting at your desk being bored or watching training sessions. Today it'd be similar, but remove watching games and add getting sacked at any time for any reason, including 'doing too well'. None of these design choices would go down well though!

So while it's 'realistic' to have all these little instructions etc. I feel the main question should be 'is it fun?'. We can't pretend the game's priority is ultra realism any more.

Personally I don't find fun in the newer tactical stuff and micromanagement.

Edited by git2thachoppa

It's always the same people who think differently about the game and want to deny obvious facts. I remember back in 2014 posting a bug about too many goals against from corners which later has been patched. Bug wasn't acknowledged by @Dagenham_Dave, 5 years later he's still doing the same thing. :lol:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/330188-official-football-manager-2015-feedback-thread-1513/page/30/?tab=comments#comment-10043092

https://community.sigames.com/topic/330188-official-football-manager-2015-feedback-thread-1513/?do=findComment&comment=10041996 or this one, he's playing a different game again. Even same arguments. 

Edited by Sanel

Just now, ..Valhalla.. said:

2014 was 5 years ago to be fair. 

I just assumed he was talking about FM14 rather than the actual year. Oh well. 

Anyhow, here's another scoreline for you in the 'Bug reports raised in FM20 league'. Result just in. 

Dagenham Dave 7-1 Sanel

Unlucky. 

45 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

This one's triggered so badly, he's finding posts from me from SIX years ago!! :lol:

I remember you because you're the first one to claim that an issue isn't true and in your case is different. This is also why I've tried to stay away from the feedback topic general. Also whenever I post I want it to be useful, not 5656 posts full of meaningless or misinformation. Posting comments like these just proves my point. ;) but please, keep going, I love reading it. 

Edited by Sanel

3 hours ago, Zanman777 said:

Dynamic league reputation, "the most requested feature that the Sports Interactive community have asked for in the last few years", according to SI

While I do agree that they need to trim the fat and focus on better updates, I just want to say that this particular thing; the "Dynamic League Rep" was one of the highest requested features back in the day, it was always considered odd that team reputation was dynamic but the leagues remained static. It had a massive knock on effect if you tried any of the small club - small country challenges and stuff like that, which was all the rage back in the day.

(Am assuming I'm not misremembering though.)

'having fun' for me tough career game and maybe more limited tactical match decisions that AI can cope with.

I think this is difficult from now; it is too late. 

More 'toys' always better for larger community that most developers do less work on AI.

4 hours ago, Zanman777 said:

• Touchline shouts: implemented in 2009. You can press them all at once for all the match engine cares...

Like some stuff in your post, but on this one: Git gud. :D (To be fair, I was actually concerned by this, in particular considering that the game's AI (management) does engage in much more, including dynamic tactical match Management, and still isn't nowhere near.)

2 hours ago, Sanel said:

It's always the same people who think differently about the game and want to deny obvious facts. I remember back in 2014 posting a bug about too many goals against from corners which later has been patched. Bug wasn't acknowledged by @Dagenham_Dave, 5 years later he's still doing the same thing. :lol:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/330188-official-football-manager-2015-feedback-thread-1513/page/30/?tab=comments#comment-10043092

https://community.sigames.com/topic/330188-official-football-manager-2015-feedback-thread-1513/?do=findComment&comment=10041996 or this one, he's playing a different game again. Even same arguments. 

To be fair, the hockey scorelines on FM 15 are a PERFECT example of how only certain tactical combinations triggered them. Basically, given advanced Players an attack Duty meant they couldN't be ar*ed to track back and defend. Some Players never used the top heavy formations, and even therein they may not have utilized a couple attack duties. Was Pretty rad tho. No less as everybody seemed to Attribute that to the keepers being useless, when it was simple sides being overrun on both Ends of the pitch.

PS: FM 20009 was a cheat. :P 

Edited by Svenc

FM09 was a dog turd of a game. An annus horribilis. If I remember correctly it was the first year football manager went with steam registering and it caused all sorts of problems. The ME was appalling. Strikers went hours without scoring. 

I think it was the time I thought my love affair with FM was over. Luckily we got over it...

1 hour ago, Bothan Spy said:

FM09 was a dog turd of a game. An annus horribilis. If I remember correctly it was the first year football manager went with steam registering and it caused all sorts of problems. The ME was appalling. Strikers went hours without scoring. 

Sounds legit (Ibra et all had those too. Scoring streaks of varying degrees are part and parcel of football).

edit: The following was actually 2010. Maybe we got them both confused. Don't remember anything of that sort with 2009. To be more honest though, some Players had this more, some less. There was a bug with the centre backs Opening channels in between them for easy through balls. That wasn't picked up as severe on testing, as only the "exploit tactics" later would Focus on them 24/7 as opposed to creating more varied Play and chances.  The resulting one on ones were somewhat to hard to convert, e.g. the main coder had acknowledged an issue with the keeper reach there. Eventually the Thing was sorted though IIRC. Both the frequency due to the bad Defender positioning, as well as the conversion.

Actually sounds a bit like the current "one on one" issue from tighter angles. They also come About too ofently due to a defending issue. And whilst they also aren't that easy a Chance a lot of the time (and the guy approaching the Goal from out wide should lay it off for a cut back/ tap-in Scenario when it's on more oftenly), their conversion may also be a tad too inconsistent. (I am personally still doing some Research, as I would expect most of them to be converted longer term at roughly 20% rates at best, no less as the fwd is also typically still being chased and closed down).

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, Bothan Spy said:

I think it was the time I thought my love affair with FM was over. Luckily we got over it...

The period between FM09-FM12 was the worst stretch in the series history for me, and I didn't properly re-connect with the series again until FM13, and have fully back on board ever since. I can't remember a single career save in any of these games. From FM13 onwards, there has been at least one save in every edition that I look back at fondly. 

FM13 - Bradford (Gladbach in FMC)

FM14 - Droylsden (Hibs in FMC)

FM15 - Hereford (my greatest ever FM save)

FM16 - Hacken

FM17 - Salford (Fortuna Sittard in FMC)

FM18 - York

FM19 - Sampdoria/Wolves

Edited by Dagenham_Dave