What makes a better save, more leagues or more countries?

I'm curious what the consensus is. Lets say that I have a personal limit of loading 20 leagues into my game, would I be better served loading 20 top flight leagues from 20 countries, the top 2 leagues from 10 countries, top 4 leagues from 5 countries, or some other combo?

I'm sure that the answer will depend on how you'd want to play, so lets say that I want to manage mainly in the top levels. Would my "world" play better with more nations or less nations but with more levels per nation? Would answer change if i wanted to focus on the euro continental and world cups?

Edited by jcp1417

5 hours ago, metallimuse said:

If you plan to mainly play in the top levels I would go for top two leagues from 10 countries.

what about nations i don't intend on playing in but want them accurately represented for the champions cup?

4 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

One method would be to load the game with just one league for speed. Go to the World menu and take a note of the top 20 ranked leagues then reload the game with just these leagues.

would a team lose out on lower league loan development?

28 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

what about nations i don't intend on playing in but want them accurately represented for the champions cup?

would a team lose out on lower league loan development?

Possibly ... alternatively you could load the top ten leagues plus the second league in each country as suggested by @metallimuse. Whatever you do you are limited by the stipulation of 20 leagues. It's up to you. I've often started a game with only the top 5  or 6 leagues in Europe. If you are playing in Italy or France you will be very restricted on the number of non EU players you can field so you may decide not to load any any non EU countries with little detriment to your game.

4 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Possibly ... alternatively you could load the top ten leagues plus the second league in each country as suggested by @metallimuse. Whatever you do you are limited by the stipulation of 20 leagues. It's up to you. I've often started a game with only the top 5  or 6 leagues in Europe. If you are playing in Italy or France you will be very restricted on the number of non EU players you can field so you may decide not to load any any non EU countries with little detriment to your game.

that probably sounds better, so let me ask this and this is for anyone. what 10 nations would be most likely to produce a top ten coefficient consistently if loaded?

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2019 at 15:45, jcp1417 said:

that probably sounds better, so let me ask this and this is for anyone. what 10 nations would be most likely to produce a top ten coefficient consistently if loaded?

Can't say about consistency, but here's my world in July 2037.

Capturex.thumb.PNG.422a157f6d440e7472db6618142345f4.PNG

On 07/08/2019 at 14:45, jcp1417 said:

England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia.

Then 2 from Turkey, Belgium, Ukraine, maybe Austria and Greece

It depends on what kind of save you're after...

If it's a LL one, you may want to load as many divisions as you can in your nation of choice, plus a handful of Top Nations' top tiers to keep the gameworld "alive" and for further expanding on when/if you'll have made it to the top yourself.

If it's a Journeyman save, or a One-Club Save at a high level, you may want to ignore lower divisions and focus on more top-tiers leagues in order to get more clubs to manage or to make business with.

BUT

Be careful because if you load too many leagues/nations, you may get a very "static" gameworld, because there are more players than clubs, so selling players will be tougher (and cheaper).
On the other hand if you load too few nations, the transfers market will go NUTS because of the relatively few good players available, meaning even an average Championship player may attract the interest of an EPL  side that wouldn't even give him a second look in a more "crowded" save.

I think SI should implement a "guideline" for setting up a new game. In addition to the Game Speed/Performance, we'd get a Star Rating for "Gameworld Balance", warning us when we load too many/too few players for the db's size.

I play 8 to 12 nations plus the nation I'm playing in. Generally all leagues in each nation I've chosen. The nation's I choose I base on the countries that reach the quarter finals of the Champions League and the Europa League.

I use the add/remove league feature to change the nation's each year. I find this occasionally throws up a country I've not played in before. It's only when the nation is activated by myself that I give myself the opportunity to manage there. If they drop out I lose that opportunity until they reappear another time.

I start with about 12 nations (the UK and Ireland, and then France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Holland, And Russia).

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

For me I setup my games based on Transfermarkt league data:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wettbewerbe/europa/wettbewerbe?plus=1

I add all leagues for all top 5 league nations, then add the other EU nations that have total value of £200m or more for their top division.

If I think I want to manage in one of those lesser EU nations then I make sure I have added at least two league divisions for that nation so I don’t run into problems of having a limited pool of regens for that nationality later in the game as the seasons progress. 

Edited by Powermonger

Good question. Maybe open a survey for more quantitative answers?

I like to start at very bottom leagues, so your first scenario (top leagues of more countries) doesn't excite me much. On the other hand, FM runs incredibly slow (regardless of computer power, mine is super new!), so I end up picking many leagues from many countries, and keep removing leagues as my save progresses.

My biggest ask for FM20 (and future) would be to make the game run faster!!!

• 3 weeks later...
В 07.08.2019 в 4:40 PM, Hovis Dexter сказал:

As a variant you can add more players from SA, Africa and Europe by DB details. I use this option like 'add players with continental rep' and 'add players of National Teams' from these continents for example + 8 countries (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Russia, Portugal, Netherlands) and 2th divisions for almost all of them.

~45-50k database with additional players for cases of non-EU players and other issues :thup:

Edited by Novem9