Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing I can't find anymore is the season summary you used to get around the 24th June or thereabouts. That was a good little feature that showed you all the ups and downs in the leagues and who won all the cups etc. Also let you know what teams came up from the non-leagues. Has this been moved somewhere else, or has it been removed altogether? 

5 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Another thing I can't find anymore is the season summary you used to get around the 24th June or thereabouts. That was a good little feature that showed you all the ups and downs in the leagues and who won all the cups etc. Also let you know what teams came up from the non-leagues. Has this been moved somewhere else, or has it been removed altogether? 

Country > Overview > Season Summary.

Think it used to be under Country > History > Season Summary.

You can also access it through a news item, although it eludes me at the moment what the news item looks like.
There is a little button within the news item, at the bottom, where you can one-click your way to the season summary.
An extra step compared to FM16 though.

2 hours ago, comu said:

I just started a game with Ebbsfleet United. The one sponsor I had at the beginning disappeared 3 days into the game. I started a new game (previous one is saved) and again picked Ebbsfleet United and now I'm 4 days into the game and still have the same sponsor I started with.

Before:

1.jpg

After:

2.jpg

I started a number of new games to test this, with just the English league and a medium database, and it's still occurring mostly within a week of gameplay.

Edit: there are no news items about it either.

Any takers?

1 minute ago, Welshace said:

Have you posted this in the bug reporting section rather than just here and bumping it?

Thanks, I'll get right to it.

I was wondering what people's opinion of it was. This is my first game since 2013 so thought this might be a somewhat common occurrence or something I've overlooked.

Just now, comu said:

I was wondering what people's opinion of it was. This is my first game since 2013 so thought this might be a somewhat common occurrence or something I've overlooked.

Can't say I've seen it brought it before.. certainly worth posting in the bug forums.

1 minute ago, comu said:

Looks like a bug to me.

Can't think of a reason it would disappear in such a short space of time.

16 minutes ago, bjorneklett said:

I think maybe there is a minor error with the heat map report. Everytime it says focus of attack left wing, but the heat map clearly shows the opposite. So i think left/right is swithed here.

Jonas Bjorneklett_  Innboks-2.png

Are we seeing the same screen here? I see much more concentration on the left side... (attack from left to right?)

2 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Are we seeing the same screen here? I see much more concentration on the left side... (attack from left to right?)

Isnt it attacking from right to left? The map is showing the focus of attack, so I assume the concentration shown is on the opponents half? That is where the players are when I am attacking. I mean it doesnt make much sense that the possesion was on my own third?

1 minute ago, bjorneklett said:

Isnt it attacking from right to left? The map is showing the focus of attack, so I assume the concentration shown is on the opponents half? That is where the players are when I am attacking. I mean it doesnt make much sense that the possesion was on my own third?

That would depend on your setup... if you are playing with wingbacks and quick counter attacks.. all your attacks are likely to start from your own half on the wings..

General feedback:

Match engine looks great, runs smoothly and feels like a significant step forward

Much better goal variety and long shots frequently going in is very welcome

Players with the sprint animation but not actually moving that fast (including some players with very high pace) look a bit like they’re running through treacle at normal speed.

Frequency of crosses tipped over the bar and low pressure back passes that aren't even close to going back to the goalkeeper, which was a minor issue in FM16, seems if anything to be worse.

Social media (and particularly its segregation from the more important news) is a nice idea but could use some variety. Lack of social media commentary surrounding internationals is a surprising omission.

New data editor is excellent

Would like the capability to choose range of Brexit scenarios which can/can't happen, even if it's editor-only (from what I can see we can change probabilities of countries affected, Bosman rule changes and existing players being kept but can't change anything related to limits on foreign players or liberalisation of work permits)

Right there is this advice that come into your inbox, like player recruitment advice summary, and there is little settings icon to it that you can set it to none or report, monthly, daily e.t.c

So if I untick it, set it to not receive it about it, where can I set it on again?

My save is in danger of being ruined. Just finished the 2nd season with Salford. Managed to sneak into the Vanarama National through the playoffs at the end of the season. In early June, I got notification the club was to be taken over, therefore a transfer embargo was placed on the club as usual. 

However, I'm now 4 days away from the start of the league season, and I've had no further news reports about it. Which of course means I've not been able to strengthen the team to cope with the higher division. I also only have 17 signed first team players. 

How long does a takeover normally take? Any time it's happened to me in the past, it's been done and dusted within 2-3 weeks at most. You normally get updates along the way as well. Really enjoying this save, I'll be devastated if this is broken. 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Worst possible time to be taking forever. 

I had one in FM16 that started just after the window opened and ended a couple of days before it closed.

Thankfully I had completed a few deals before the window opened and picked up a couple more on deadline day.

1 hour ago, bjorneklett said:

Ok, so the heat map shows where the attacks start?

not really,. a heat map shows where players had the ball/moved on the pitch.red spots are more intense and blue are less used areas.

heat map man city barcelona.png

above is the picture from recent Man City v Barcelona CL match. You see Barcelona moved the ball all over the pitch with area that Messi operates in, is red hot. City was mostly concentrating down the right flank for quick counters over Sterling .

from your in game picture it isn't clear if the team was playing from back, mostly passing to the left and then just punted the ball into attack never really having the ball in the offensive third, or the team completely ignored build up from defense and had "clear to wings"/ exploit flanks instruction against an opponent that played very deep and didn't really threaten much. anyway, the map should state the attack axis' for teams to avoid confusion. 

Sad to see the AI still haven't got a clue what team you put on the pitch. Six of my best players out with injuries and suspensions, and everybody still expects me to win the next match. I - of course - lose, and my assistant manager wants me to tell the players it's unacceptable. Yeah...

21 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

So to expand upon my last post - Has anyone been hit with sudden drop in board confidence resulting in a points goal demand etc  (possibly in a strange situation , ie in the middle of the season or when you are just outside your target) or been hit with                  potentially unrealistic expectations in general ?

There are a couple similar situation in the data forum and one of the researches is suggesting it may be a bug rather than a DB issue.

My example was getting hit with a 11 points in 5 games demand off the board when I was sitting 2nd only 5 points adrift of Celtic with 7 games left (after being top from October to April) , my approval nosedived to 30% and I was eventually sacked. Now the issue I wanted to log in the DB forum was Rangers expectations being too high (or King being too sack happy) given it didn't reflect upon out situation in real life ( Rangers start with a non negotiable "win league" expectation). The Head Researcher suggested this wasn't a DB issue and that I shouldn't have been sacked for sitting second etc.

The second example was one of the lads in that thread managing St Johnstone, he was sitting 4th after 15 games , comfortably meeting expectations (probably overachieving) and was hit with a 11 points in 15 games target for "performing well below expectations"

6RSRQp8.png

Anyone else seen similar things in game ?

Lost my next game and got sacked for underperforming, despite still only being four points off the top.

The team I'm managing have finished in the top three only three times in their entire history...

23 minutes ago, Viking said:

Sad to see the AI still haven't got a clue what team you put on the pitch. Six of my best players out with injuries and suspensions, and everybody still expects me to win the next match. I - of course - lose, and my assistant manager wants me to tell the players it's unacceptable. Yeah...

YOU'RE the manager, not your assistant. Perhaps your AM still thought the team was good enough to win if set up correctly. You need to give us more information here. 

37 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

not really,. a heat map shows where players had the ball/moved on the pitch.red spots are more intense and blue are less used areas.

heat map man city barcelona.png

above is the picture from recent Man City v Barcelona CL match. You see Barcelona moved the ball all over the pitch with area that Messi operates in, is red hot. City was mostly concentrating down the right flank for quick counters over Sterling .

from your in game picture it isn't clear if the team was playing from back, mostly passing to the left and then just punted the ball into attack never really having the ball in the offensive third, or the team completely ignored build up from defense and had "clear to wings"/ exploit flanks instruction against an opponent that played very deep and didn't really threaten much. anyway, the map should state the attack axis' for teams to avoid confusion. 

how do you get both teams on the heat map, with arrows showing?

Football Manager 2009 - 131 hours on record.

Football Manager 2010 - 448 hours on record.

Football Manager 2011 - 842 hours on record.

Football Manager 2012 - 681 hours on record.

Football Manager 2013 - 464 hours on record.

Football Manager 2014 - 336 hours on record.

Football Manager 2015 - 225 hours on record.

Football Manager 2016 - 82 hours on record.

Football Manager 2017 - Refunded on Steam

... Need I say more? 

Oh alright then. But only briefly. Pointless social media stuff (at least some of the hashtag words could have been in a different, more appropriate language for authenticity and not always English) that dominates the entire screen and churns out the same old comments. No improvements whatsoever to Press Conference questions, just re-writing. No improvements to overall animations of the goalkeeper (saving with wrong hand etc.)  And a really sorry example of scripting that left me no choice but to uninstall. So I was 5-0 with Sparta Prague at HT in a CL qualifier. Said the right things to keep everyone motivated. Then conceded 4 goals. Could happen, I suppose. Except all my player ratings didn't go down and all of theirs didn't go up, and my player morale stayed constant as did theirs. So what the hell was the match engine telling me? They scored 4 goals out of nothing and I conceded 4 goals out of nothing?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, and my above Steam history qualifies me to say it. Something, quite a lot actually, is amiss with the series. Would it help if there was a genuine challenger? Absolutely. Lots and lots of reviews on Steam have it spot on. It's lost its soul, it's feeling. And it simply isn't very good anymore.

Such a huge huge shame. Can't see me coming back for the forseeable.

3 minutes ago, T_Neumann said:

Football Manager 2009 - 131 hours on record.

Football Manager 2010 - 448 hours on record.

Football Manager 2011 - 842 hours on record.

Football Manager 2012 - 681 hours on record.

Football Manager 2013 - 464 hours on record.

Football Manager 2014 - 336 hours on record.

Football Manager 2015 - 225 hours on record.

Football Manager 2016 - 82 hours on record.

Football Manager 2017 - Refunded on Steam

... Need I say more? 

Oh alright then. But only briefly. Pointless social media stuff (at least some of the hashtag words could have been in a different, more appropriate language for authenticity and not always English) that dominates the entire screen and churns out the same old comments. No improvements whatsoever to Press Conference questions, just re-writing. No improvements to overall animations of the goalkeeper (saving with wrong hand etc.)  And a really sorry example of scripting that left me no choice but to uninstall. So I was 5-0 with Sparta Prague at HT in a CL qualifier. Said the right things to keep everyone motivated. Then conceded 4 goals. Could happen, I suppose. Except all my player ratings didn't go down and all of theirs didn't go up, and my player morale stayed constant as did theirs. So what the hell was the match engine telling me? They scored 4 goals out of nothing and I conceded 4 goals out of nothing?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, and my above Steam history qualifies me to say it. Something, quite a lot actually, is amiss with the series. Would it help if there was a genuine challenger? Absolutely. Lots and lots of reviews on Steam have it spot on. It's lost its soul, it's feeling. And it simply isn't very good anymore.

Such a huge huge shame. Can't see me coming back for the forseeable.

It's.

Your.

Tactics.

2 minutes ago, T_Neumann said:

You mean the tactics that were good enough to give me a 5-0 HT lead?

So when the opposition changed theirs in the second half why didn't you adapt?

If you don't like FM thats fine but don't pretend its because the game is getting worse. 

Such a shame that you can't see that......

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Bet the game wasn't at fault at that point though, eh?

No, but it was when I conceded 4 goals, owing to ratings and morale staying exactly the same across the board so I have absolutely no way of telling what happened to cause it.

7 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

How do you know?

In the save Spurs have triggered the conversation by showing interest in the players.  Did they show the same interest IRL? Even if they did how do you know a conversation wasn't had behind closed doors between the player/agent/manager/directors so everyone knew where they stood?

When you work with people you talk to them all the time and yet in FM users seem to want to shy away from that and not speak to their players which creates a disconnect.

That said I'm not saying improvements couldn't be made as the likes of Coutinho & Henderson seem settled at Liverpool and I don't think they would leave for Spurs but thats perhaps because IRL players maybe take a longer term view.

There is no reason whatsoever for a Liverpool player to want to join Tottenham, let's be real here ... I guess the problem was the reputation i chose at the start of the game (national level footballer), and that's why they wanted to join them (even though in another save, their heads were turned by Spurs with Klopp in charge). 

I have talked to them and promised that they will be allowed to leave if we don't make UCL this season.

1 minute ago, T_Neumann said:

No, but it was when I conceded 4 goals, owing to ratings and morale staying exactly the same across the board so I have absolutely no way of telling what happened to cause it.

You're not seriously going to tell me none of the opposition goalscorers had a ratings boost when they scored? :lol:

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

So when the opposition changed theirs in the second half why didn't you adapt?

If you don't like FM thats fine but don't pretend its because the game is getting worse. 

Such a shame that you can't see that......

I did, I conceded two more goals anyway. And they didn't bring on any extra attackers.

And no, it's not a shame. I've identified the worst FM in years and got my money back. I'm not missing out on anything and the general consensus is with me.

Funny how no-one is taking me to task on any of the other criticisms I said by the way. Just really really poor stuff.

5 minutes ago, T_Neumann said:

Funny how no-one is taking me to task on any of the other criticisms I said by the way. Just really really poor stuff.

I wouldn't want to take someone giving an opinion to task on anything, but I will admit that my reaction to your comment about social media was to note that I have never personally felt it was lacking by virtue of not being in languages I couldn't read.

1 minute ago, Georgik said:

There is no reason whatsoever for a Liverpool player to want to join Tottenham, let's be real here ...

Lets get back to reality, Liverpool aren't some heavenly club that no one ever leaves.

There are many different reasonable reasons why a player may want to move from Liverpool to Spurs but within FM it comes down to team rep & the fact that Spurs are playing in the Champion's League while Liverpool aren't in Europe.

10 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

How is it broken? These teams are in the Champions League, Liverpool aren't even in Europe in the first season. If Spurs have those players on their radar, then it's a great incentive for the player to play in the top European competition. 

Of course, if you're a good enough manager, you can always firefight these situations anyway. 

And even if they demand to leave, Coutinho and Firmino will get you top dollar, so you can sign replacements easy enough,  

Come on ... be real here mate. In what universe would Coutinho and Firmino demand to leave for Spurs ? 

Archived