Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Something needs to be done about strikers, conversion rate is far lower than it's ever been at any point in this game..

Background on my save..

Gladbach, 5th Season in, most reputable club in the world, 3 Times winner of the Bundesliga, 3 Times winner of the Champions League, 4 Times winner of the German Cup, and everything in between..

Alexander Mitrovic, my striker for the last 3 Seasons..

Goal-scoring Record:

Season 1: 40 Goals

Season 2: 38 Goals

Season 3 44 Goals..

Currently have reloaded a game against a Poor Freiburg team 20 times now..

I've won every game bar 2 by a minimum of 2 Goals, dominated Possession, attempts and CCCs

Mitrovic's Record - 3 Goals, 2 from penalties, 1 from open play..

I'm watching him miss one on one after one on one, easy chance after easy chance..

My midfielders have no such problems putting the ball in the net..but then, even defenders have an easier time scoring than strikers it seems.

The ball flies off of his boot like they have rockets attached to them, it pathetic..

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a thread where people can post their best own goals since the update. My current favourite is my left back standing on the near post when defending a corner, then turning around and smashing the corner in on the volley.

Also getting a bit sick of my target man heading everything 30 yards back down the pitch.

It's strange how everyone is complaining about the patch, is it really that bad or are people being over critical as usual?

It's much, much better than 14.1.4, but still has a way to go. The ME I think is much better, but the transfer market is still silly, the number of injuries reminds me of the the Hunger Games, the morale doesn;t tank if the wind changes direction, but players are still touchy at times when their professionalism and loyalty is high. Overall, I like this much more than 1.4, but the game overall leaves me a bit cold.

Can't believe what I'm seeing. Attacker has open goal after rounding keeper and no one around pressuring him, runs up to about 2 yards out, straight in front of goal, shoots wide and then runs into post. Opposition then go straight up other end with attack down right wing. My left back intercepts, turns back and then runs at his own goal, charging into the box before laying off a pass for unmarked opposition striker to score. It is absolutely clear that SI have no idea what they are doing with this game. Every release and every new patch is a lottery. This patch is one of the worst. Total joke.

It's your tactics

Since the last update, there is an issue in my save that I don't know how to fix. Some young newgens are relagated to the Trialist team without any chance to bring them back to U18 squad nor U21. All of them are 15 or 16 years old, some from my intake others signed, and I don't understand why their Squad menu have different options for the other youngsters.

Another big problem with this is that I amb unable to access to some of them, because there's not an option to see the Trialist team when you are off period.

noa97r.jpg

Massive stroke of luck as the 'keeper belts it into my striker...

2dw9u1h.jpg

And the ball has sat up beautifully, now the apply to finish...

2uh0rys.jpg

Nope, I'll square it for my non-existent team mate!

Living life in lower leagues using my own guidelines,searching for hours for just the right player.:applause:

Anyone else getting 'keepers rushing out, but then standing still and allowing the striker to just run past?

Yes. I had my Keeper take the ball all the way to center! I wasn't scored against, thank god, but it was still harrowing.

I don't they ever test their software before selling it, they're only in it for the money.

The thing is, this thread alone is about half and half between people who love the game post-update and those who hate it, and as has been mentioned before this board counts for less than 1% of the total players playing throughout the day.

On that basis, yes they do test it, but the chances are the people doing the testing won't see the issues that others here see. That's why SI have these forums. They could easily just release it and not bother updating it until the next version.

The thing is, this thread alone is about half and half between people who love the game post-update and those who hate it, and as has been mentioned before this board counts for less than 1% of the total players playing throughout the day.

On that basis, yes they do test it, but the chances are the people doing the testing won't see the issues that others here see. That's why SI have these forums. They could easily just release it and not bother updating it until the next version.

They shouldn't release it until it works, PERIOD. That's the problem.

Add in the fact that each new patch negates one's previous tactical setup, and adds new issues... it's a wonder they're in business at all. Only in gaming.

But it clearly does work, or else 30,000+ players (a day) simply wouldn't still be playing it. If your tactical set up has been ruined by an update, then find out where it's going wrong and fix it.

There maybe lies the problem.

People such as yourself think that if they are not here bitching then they are happy with the game.

There are many forums and in those forums people are complaining.

I have been playing since 97/98 but I did not join this forum until 2007!

I was not happy with all the releases, hell I went through CM04 but the simple fact was I did not know this forum was here.

This "only 1% complain" is a myth!

Check other forums, maybe even start some conversations in other forums,

Add in the fact that each new patch negates one's previous tactical setup, and adds new issues... it's a wonder they're in business at all. Only in gaming.

Without wanting to be a keeper of the forums, there are two points to be made here:

1) They release it by the date SEGA wants it released. Hence bringing in initiatives like a beta period.

2) With such a complicated game, sometimes issues may only present themselves with certain set-ups or in certain situations. Even with everyone on the planet testing, issues may still get through.

I am on other forums. Traditionally, the biggest moaners are the ones on the Dugout forums, and they've been way less angry about this version than the one from last year.

I never said only 1% of people complain, but the fact remains that over 30,000 people are playing this game every day. If it was as broken as people would have you believe on here, that simply wouldn't be the case.

And I'm not blindly defending it here, before the usual suspects jump in, there are issues, and perhaps more so since the last update which is disappointing, but a lot of the criticism is wildly exaggerated on here. And given this is where the developers look for feedback on how to improve the game, that's a worrying state of affairs IMO.

I am on other forums. Traditionally, the biggest moaners are the ones on the Dugout forums, and they've been way less angry about this version than the one from last year.

I never said only 1% of people complain, but the fact remains that over 30,000 people are playing this game every day. If it was as broken as people would have you believe on here, that simply wouldn't be the case.

And I'm not blindly defending it here, before the usual suspects jump in, there are issues, and perhaps more so since the last update which is disappointing, but a lot of the criticism is wildly exaggerated on here. And given this is where the developers look for feedback on how to improve the game, that's a worrying state of affairs IMO.

Can I ask you Dave how many PKMs have you uploaded?

How many bugs have you brought forward?

I see you defend the game at times and then go against the game at times, how many times have you uploaded a pkm to try and improve the game?

I've uploaded quite a few saves, and posted quite a bit on the bugs forum, but I'm not exactly sure in what way that's relevant.

EDIT - In fact, I think it was me who first brought attention to the original contract issue in the lower leagues, so ner ner ner :p

Oh, absolutely.

It varies from player to player. That's why there isn't really anything that is objectively harder or easier than the other.

That comes down to a player's preferences and ability.

A half-volley's trajectory will, most of the time, have a long, vertical, diagonal trajectory. Unless the player slices it, of course. Enter roykela :D

A volley can be a dipper, a straight one, a slow rising one, a ballooner etc.

Not saying you're wrong, because you're not. But it's not entirely correct either. As it varies, as mentioned, from player to player.

Perhaps so, but I still think there's an objective approach hidden in the chance and chaos - but this, perhaps, is more about philosophy than fact, for now, since I don't think it's provable either way! ;)

And on the variation - I always found I could hit flat, bullet-like shots on the half-volley more easily. In fact, when I was playing as an inside forward, I even specifically practiced a way of flicking the ball into the air on the run with the outside of my foot so I could let it bounce and thrash it one...

Used to look way better than I actually was. ;)

I've uploaded quite a few saves, and posted quite a bit on the bugs forum, but I'm not exactly sure in what way that's relevant.

Of course it is relevant, SI need the PKM's to help improve the game, there is no point in us all bitching here and no one reporting it and giving saves where it is happening.

I would say the majority of people that complain on this forum do not even back that up, let alone others that complain on other forums, that does not mean they are not having problems, that is where the myth comes in.

In FM2014, World Class Strikers miss 19/20 shots... It's not the same as the occasional real life shocker.

In real life, most strikers take 9 shots to score a goal. That's professionals. At the elite level. A really, really good striker? 6. Excuse me while I go get a screenshot of my world class striker's shots-to-goal ratio...

wf7a.png

Notice anything? 15% of shots result in a goal, or 1 goal per 6.6 shots. This is his third season performing consistently at this level - 52 goals two seasons ago, 57 last season, 45 so far this year. That's incidentally across three different patches, this season being on the latest. He's only 22, so he's also been improving over that time, and two years ago his attributes were worse than say, Torres currently.

What you can take from that is two things: firstly, your player being able to do his job well is important, but not actually as important as ensuring that the players around him enable him to do it (tactics!), and secondly, that you should read The Numbers Game - seriously. It'll be a real eye-opener.

(As a side note, I do love the difference between fouls against per game in England, and in the Champions League...)

as has been mentioned before this board counts for less than 1% of the total players playing throughout the day.

Just because it's been mentioned doesn't make it true. If anybody bothered to check they'd see this statistic is clearly plucked from someone's posterior.

As I write this the forums say there are currently 1,782 users online. Steam says there are 26,703 users currently playing FM14. That's 6.67%, not "less than 1%", and the real number is probably higher as leaving FM running in the background will count as playing the game on steam, but leaving a web browser tab open on the forum will eventually time the user out and not count against the stats.

The forums are actually a pretty sizable chunk of the player base.

Just because it's been mentioned doesn't make it true. If anybody bothered to check they'd see this statistic is clearly plucked from someone's posterior.

As I write this the forums say there are currently 1,782 users online. Steam says there are 26,703 users currently playing FM14. That's 6.67%, not "less than 1%", and the real number is probably higher as leaving FM running in the background will count as playing the game on steam, but leaving a web browser tab open on the forum will eventually time the user out and not count against the stats.

The forums are actually a pretty sizable chunk of the player base.

A lot of people run Steam in offline mode because they want to control updates (either for FM or for other games). So, the Steam stats aren't actually representative of current players. You'd need to look at total hours played over a period of time (say, a week) and compare that to active forum user hours somehow to get a real sense of the numbers.

But you're right otherwise - the 1% figure is totally posterior plucked.

A lot of people run steam in offline mode because they want to control updates (either for FM or for other games). So, the Steam stats aren't actually representative of current players. You'd need to look at total hours played over a period of time (say, a week) and compare that to active forum user hours somehow to get a real sense of the numbers.

But you're right otherwise - the 1% figure is totally posterior plucked.

Actually its probably accurate assuming they have the total figures of people playing (something that SI will almost certainly have), since the number of people playing FM varies at any one time, for example today it peaked at 51,044. But that figure on steam only tells you how many people have played it today, not how many people actually have the game and are playing it in total. For example I wouldn't register in that stat because I haven't played it today.

In real life, most strikers take 9 shots to score a goal. That's professionals. At the elite level. A really, really good striker? 6. Excuse me while I go get a screenshot of my world class striker's shots-to-goal ratio...

wf7a.png

Notice anything? 15% of shots result in a goal, or 1 goal per 6.6 shots. This is his third season performing consistently at this level - 52 goals two seasons ago, 57 last season, 45 so far this year. That's incidentally across three different patches, this season being on the latest. He's only 22, so he's also been improving over that time, and two years ago his attributes were worse than say, Torres currently.

What you can take from that is two things: firstly, your player being able to do his job well is important, but not actually as important as ensuring that the players around him enable him to do it (tactics!), and secondly, that you should read The Numbers Game - seriously. It'll be a real eye-opener.

(As a side note, I do love the difference between fouls against per game in England, and in the Champions League...)

I mistyped... I meant World Class Strikers miss 19/20 one on one breakaways / empty nets in FM 2014... not exactly real world.

Without wanting to be a keeper of the forums, there are two points to be made here:

1) They release it by the date SEGA wants it released. Hence bringing in initiatives like a beta period.

2) With such a complicated game, sometimes issues may only present themselves with certain set-ups or in certain situations. Even with everyone on the planet testing, issues may still get through.

1) Sega being their Publisher is NOT a customers problem. Nor, should customers be expected to make concessions for a Developers business situation.

2) If a Developer does not have the ability to fully finish such a "complicated" game prior to it's release date... either push the release date back, or, don't try to make (and fail to realise) something that exceeds your grasp.

I mistyped... I meant World Class Strikers miss 19/20 one on one breakaways / empty nets in FM 2014... not exactly real world.

Mine don't. Booney there scores almost every single clear cut chance he gets (my definition of clear cut, not the game engine's statistical definition). Hell, even my inside-right, Julian Brandt, who has pretty weak Finishing scores most one-on-one chances he gets.

But it clearly does work, or else 30,000+ players (a day) simply wouldn't still be playing it. If your tactical set up has been ruined by an update, then find out where it's going wrong and fix it.

If a DVD was released that was missing several scenes... people would still be able to watch it. But, I guess you'd still call it a full movie, huh!?

PS- to everyone who thinks that because only a "handful" of customers take the time to come on here and complain somehow means the majority of people are satisfied with FM2014... YOU'RE WRONG. If your logic held true, the reverse would be just as viable. IE. For every FM2014 apologist on here there's 100 times more silently hating the game.

that would certainly be a problem if it were true, but it simply isn't.

Funny, because I've read quite the number of similar complaints to mine, from dozens of disgruntled players, across multiple different forums... But, HEY! we must all be wrong because the Mighty TopToffee has said it's not happening. :brock:

If a DVD was released that was missing several scenes... people would still be able to watch it. But, I guess you'd still call it a full movie, huh!?

IF a dvd was released with several scenes missing (i'll use your analogy here, even though it's a rather poor one), do you really think that tens of thousands of people would watch it day after day?

PS- to everyone who thinks that because only a "handful" of customers take the time to come on here and complain somehow means the majority of people are satisfied with FM2014... YOU'RE WRONG. If your logic held true, the reverse would be just as viable. IE. For every FM2014 apologist on here there's 100 times more silently hating the game.

actually, the opposite DOESN'T necessarily (in fact almost certainly doesn't) hold true.

Both human psychology and market research experts agree that people are FAR more likely to voice their opinion if they are dissatisfied with something than if they are satisfied. to the tune of something like a 10:1 ratio.

Yes, your reply is complete nonsense.

If the patches ruin tactical approaches, why is it that I've managed to play pretty much the same 4-3-3 since the Beta?

If a patch ruins your tactic, then your tactic was only working because it was exploiting something which is now fixed.

Funny, because I've read quite the number of similar complaints to mine, from dozens of disgruntled players, across multiple different forums... But, HEY! we must all be wrong because the Mighty TopToffee has said it's not happening. :brock:
you said it as a blanket statement, that as a rule, world class strikers miss 19/20 clear cut chances. It may have happened in your game, I have no idea (though I'd love to see your evidence to back up your statement - however it does not happen at all times in all games, so your blanket statement was incorrect.

Or are you the only person on these forums who is allowed to tell people they're wrong?

I hate to highlight the elephant in the room, really. But... Maybe they're just not very good at the game.

1) Sega being their Publisher is NOT a customers problem. Nor, should customers be expected to make concessions for a Developers business situation.

2) If a Developer does not have the ability to fully finish such a "complicated" game prior to it's release date... either push the release date back, or, don't try to make (and fail to realise) something that exceeds your grasp.

These comments betray a complete lack of understanding of the logistics and practicalities of making a mass market game - particularly one about which the general public are so well informed (or at very least believe themselves to be) regarding the subject matter.

Cut out the snide replies. Do you have any stats or evidence to back up the claim about strikers missing 19/20 one on ones, because that is quite a specific figure. If it is happening as regularly as you say, it should be very very easy to provide lots of evidence for this.

when it happened to me, RvP missed his shot on goal when clean through.

and why are players doing stupid things, 4-0 away to southampton, last 5 minutes spent in my half, defenders flying tackles in, and my player got sent off for a professional foul (blocked the guy off) after 90+1 (and IMO there was cover, yet game says completly justified) I would understand this if I told my team to up it a bit because I'm hanging on, or want to get the ball downfield, but when 4-0 up...

Archived