The Rage Quit

This isn't really a false feedback thread, more of query as to how everyone's getting on in-regards to the new game.

I'm normally the one who doesn't rage quit, i usually try and take results on the chin and move on.

It seems the latest version of Football Manager has many, rage inducing moments. Be it the inability to defend against mediocre sides, Fullbacks chatting to the stewards instead of defending, Star strikers texting their wags instead of netting goals ect ect.

Has anyone had any rage inducing moments where you thought "you know what... Forget this, i'm going to watch tv."

Or maybe you've been struggling with Football Manager since FM08? Let me know, i'd love to read some stories.

I've had a moment like that for sure. Happened two nights ago, when I was testing out a tactic which I was CONVINCED would be the solution to my defensive troubles. It wasn't and my Villa team got an absolute lesson from Swansea. I thought, 'Sod this, this isn't any fun, I'm going to play some Diablo downstairs', so quit and walked away.

I'm now using 'Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2', from the Tactics & Training forum and it's a more defensively sound tactic than I would ever have been able to think up by myself. My plan is to use that for a season, study it and eventually use as a base to create my own.

But yeah, have rage quit. Not proud of it, but over it now.

I've had a moment like that for sure. Happened two nights ago, when I was testing out a tactic which I was CONVINCED would be the solution to my defensive troubles. It wasn't and my Villa team got an absolute lesson from Swansea. I thought, 'Sod this, this isn't any fun, I'm going to play some Diablo downstairs', so quit and walked away.

I'm now using 'Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2', from the Tactics & Training forum and it's a more defensively sound tactic than I would ever have been able to think up by myself. My plan is to use that for a season, study it and eventually use as a base to create my own.

But yeah, have rage quit. Not proud of it, but over it now.

I've also recently rage quit my save due to under preforming, i guess i'm just not used to getting hammered at home by average sides.

Unlike yourself, i always feel slightly shameful using other peoples tactics, but as you said you plan on making your own based around it, which hopefully should give your team a more well rounded solid season.

Yep at the moment I'm using a save from beginning and playing 20 odd games to find out what works and what doesn't, sussed out the fullbacks problem but too many occasional CB's just not bothering to tackle etc also now got all my strikers, that's senior and youth level having terrible ratings due to them hitting the woodwork every other shot or a total inability to hit the target regularly.

Usually getting stats like total shots 24.....on target 7......hit woodwork 6.

Until the guys here fix the bugs, the game will frustrate the hell out of you, just like last years.

read the tactic forums they do really help you understand how to beat the op more, its not easy but its challenging and great aspect to the game which makes it more interesting in my view.

Yeah the tactics forum is a good read, it's helped me out with another save, which i'm having better progress with.

Some really handy threads there to help out those who're struggling with corners, fullbacks ect ect.

here is also the things in regards full backs, I set mine to complete wingbacks and most teams I play can't get crosses in too score, I hope this helps you

I also found that tip in the tactics forum, everything seems to work better when they attack instead of defend, also having them cut inside can cause an issue if you also have pacy wingers.

I have a test save with Man Utd, I have Evra and Young on the left, Kyle Walker and Valencia on the right, deadly stuff.

I used to rage quit in FM 12 (sometimes forgetting to save). In order to prevent that, I have forcefully turned to the Autosave option this time in 14 in order to prevent "convenient save" stuff. :D

Haha i would never Reload a save just because i lost, i'd rather save and quit, cry... then play again in a few hours.

I remember back in the day, playing CM03-04, reloading saves with my lower league team, so i'd win the premier league and champions league, Filthy.

I'm taking your advice in-regards to the autosave though, in the past i've just completely closed a game, only to come back to it later to find i'm like 5 games behind my original place, very annoying having to back track.

Oh, I rage quit at least twice a season. Sometimes you'll be playing, getting good or at least decent results, you're top by a country mile, then all of a sudden you're up against East Stirlingshire who have like 4 points after 20 matches, at Shielfield Park, no less, and for some reason, your players are just standing around with their heads seemingly stuck up their own backsides, as this load of useless sods who've scored single figure goals after 20 matches bumble around your immobile defence for 90 minutes and failing to get a single shot on target until injury time when, inevitably, a corner comes in, it's headed by a Shire player, smacks the man on post, rebounds back out, hits your goalkeeper on the arse and goes in.

I mean I always save it, but I don't think you can stop oncoming rage quit after something like that.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having these problems. I've forced myself to lay off for a while because life's too short to let a computer game make you so angry. What is it about this game that makes it so good at infuriating you sometimes?

Just seems like there's certain games which are impossible to win, regardless of your line up or tactics.

But this has been discussed on many websites over the years, i guess the 3D match engine just makes it look like the players aren't trying, when in reality they've been beaten by skill/movement/pace ect ect.

I'm sure when the latest patch arrives, everything will be dandy. It has to be said though, this seems to be the toughest FM yet.

*EDIT*

I've also raged over the predictability of goals, for example: I score on the 22nd minute, 24th minute a highlight comes up, and they score.

It seems, when you score, the computer automatically scores straight after.

But as stated above, this has been an issue for years now, and is somewhat realistic as "you're most vulnerable after you've just scored"

Just seems like there's certain games which are impossible to win, regardless of your line up or tactics.

But this has been discussed on many websites over the years, i guess the 3D match engine just makes it look like the players aren't trying, when in reality they've been beaten by skill/movement/pace ect ect.

I'm sure when the latest patch arrives, everything will be dandy. It has to be said though, this seems to be the toughest FM yet.

I don't know, I still have nightmares about FM13's beast-winger rampages that were all too common in the early stages after release. It seems that our current issues have similar symptoms as those, but the disease is different. The problem I have, not being a tactical guru, is not being able to discriminate between "bug" and "individual tactical mistake". It's difficult to even formalize the notion of "bug" in such a simulation because it should sometimes intentionally cause players to do stupid things. If we can't trust the match engine's depiction of the "real story", then we really don't know at all if we're seeing bugs or the failure of our tactics.

I don't know, I still have nightmares about FM13's beast-winger rampages that were all too common in the early stages after release. It seems that our current issues have similar symptoms as those, but the disease is different. The problem I have, not being a tactical guru, is not being able to discriminate between "bug" and "individual tactical mistake". It's difficult to even formalize the notion of "bug" in such a simulation because it should sometimes intentionally cause players to do stupid things. If we can't trust the match engine's depiction of the "real story", then we really don't know at all if we're seeing bugs or the failure of our tactics.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I've also raged over the predictability of goals, for example: I score on the 22nd minute, 24th minute a highlight comes up, and they score.

It seems, when you score, the computer automatically scores straight after.

But as stated above, this has been an issue for years now, and is somewhat realistic as "you're most vulnerable after you've just scored"

Only in real life the first team scoring is more likely to score a second goal than allowing a quick equaliser.

Only in real life the first team scoring is more likely to score a second goal than allowing a quick equaliser.

Just after I wrote this, I get the following scoreline:

1-0 (17.)

1-1 (19.)

2-1 (25.)

2-2 (26.)

3-2 (46.) here I immediately switch to a more defensive tactic just in case

3-3 (84.)

4-3 (86.)

:D

Just after I wrote this, I get the following scoreline:

1-0 (17.)

1-1 (19.)

2-1 (25.)

2-2 (26.)

3-2 (46.) here I immediately switch to a more defensive tactic just in case

3-3 (84.)

4-3 (86.)

:D

It's not just me then, i thought i was going bonkers.

Do you have a screenshot of that?

Rage-quitted on FM13 when my attempt to not concede a goal for 30 consecutive matches came to an end at 27. The sodding Aubameyang, I made a mental note to take him out the next time I play him. Too bad he torn his own hamstring before I had a chance to stick my super-aggressive regen up against him. :D

having just watched my keeper punch the ball into his own net and being 5-0 down at half time, gotta say that im having serious problems defending despite doing nothing differently to previous FM's

Don't really like this as it seems tactic configuration seems to factor in more heavily this year than player quality.

To be honest, I've never rage quit. I do get annoyed at some things the game throws at me, but it just makes me more determined to set it straight and end a losing streak or whatever. This has resulted in me being late for an appointment on several occasions though...

I have played almost every day since release, lasted a day each time and rage quit. I am yet to play a save two days in a row. But bear in mind I am LLM.

Haha, I play LLM as well. Playing in FMC, since I want to focus on the new tactics. I did rage quit once. Since then, I play much less. Often I think about starting up FM, but decide do do something else.

As a consequence of the state the game is in right now, have a feeling that I am unable to determine if things that happen in the game are because of my decisions or because of bugs/game imbalances. This makes it much less fun for me atm.

But - there's a great game underneath...

This is the first FM in a long time I haven't bought, still having fun with FM13. What's the media like on the new one, press conferences any better? or is it still a 'send the assistant' job

Press conferences are so much better! You don't have a press conference after every match for a start. Also when you are in the press conferences there are so many new questions and answers. There is alot of variation which doesn't make the media such a chore now.

Frequently while playing Houston. Have all 4-4.5 midfield, and all 4-4.5 defense in a 3-5-2. Beat DC United 3-0 and then promptly went on an epic losing streak at the hands of FC Dallas, Vancouver, San Jose, etc. And it wasn't that they were shutting me out or dominating. No. It's that I would lose in the last 10 minutes by conceding MULTIPLE goals. Up 3-1? Nope. Lose 3-4. Up 2-1? Nope. Lose 2-3. Up 2-0? Nope. Lose 2-3. ALL after the 80th minute. It seems ridiculous that an FC Dallas team that couldn't get a long ball or a cross right the entire game suddely can put Premier League level crosses and passes and one-twos in.

Just rage quit just now don't have a clue what I am doing wrong changing things round trying new games with different tactics but it just seems whatever I do I always seem in the same situation.

Fullbacks are always very poor only 1 game did they do well.

Strikers seem very poor.

Match engine is annoying to watch sometimes players running away from the ball and the amount of times the ball hits the crossbar what is that all about especially hitting off both posts. Also had a time when the opposition keeper hit the ball up field and my defender headed it into his own net:rolleyes:.

Will wait to see what happens after the update is out till then think its back to GTA5.

*QI sirens*

You're not, actually. Someone did a study of games that finished 1-1, and the equalizer was significantly more likely to come in the last third of the game after the opening goal than the first third.

I rage quit last night. Playing as Blackpool, chasing the final spot in the play-offs, lost 3-0 to Yeovil - who are bottom of the league.

Thought 'Sod it I'm going out', and shut it down. Loaded up again today and was six games behind. Irritating but I'm now four points better off. So I guess it all worked out :D

i had a rather unforgettable one in FM09 or 10, can't remember which one exactly. i was playing as Liverpool against Man United in the FA Cup semi final and was 3-1 up five minutes to go, having already employed a time-wasting defensive tactic. guess what, by the end of the 90 minutes it's 4-3 to the Red Devils. say all you want about the derby mentality and adrenaline rushes - i still can't get how my keyboard survived that particular flurry of alt+f4's.

I'm a lot more calm about the game now. I tend to have Sigh Quits now, followed by Late to Sleep Nights due to trying to work out where I'm going wrong.

I chuckle at myself where it used to make me so angry and I'd do things like putting the whole squad for sale after a dreadful defeat.

I'm a lot more calm about the game now. I tend to have Sigh Quits now, followed by Late to Sleep Nights due to trying to work out where I'm going wrong.

I chuckle at myself where it used to make me so angry and I'd do things like putting the whole squad for sale after a dreadful defeat.

Laughing when you're angry, the first sign of craziness.

After struggling through major part of the season as Southampton, highly feared matchday against Man United comes.

Magically with 88 minutes of play I'm still leading 0-1. Van Persie gets half-through... can't bear to watch... Boruc saves. Phew....

Keeper decides to throw the ball towards Shaw waiting at the byline, despite my instructions to kick the ball so far out as possible. Wait... what happends.... The throw is so poorly directed and slow that RVP manages to intervene to it mid-air and heads it straight in.

:) -> :confused:

Ok, guess a draw could be considered a decent result as well. I pull back everyone, telling them to plug the gaps and sit deep.

Valencia crosses the ball, but it's way too long for Rooney/RVP to reach. Fonte can take it into possession easily and kick it out as he's not under pressure. WHAAAAAAAAAAAT.... Fonte heads the ball straight home instead of clearing it....

"Honey, could you bring me a beer.... maybe a whole box of those!?"

Archived