FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not overly bothered, Rooney was really poor for me in the first season, and to get £10m for him and another £10m per year in wages for/from him is decent as far as I am concerned. I have RVP, Hernandez and Henriquez still at the club, only playing 1 up top this year, so should be fine with those 3.

213f6tl.jpg

Just had an intense game with Stoke away, they always play well against me, At 2-2 decided to play a counter right flank exploiting system, my right back ended up setting up the next goal and then RVP with a freekick from this distance. What a goal, the keeper didnt even move!!

Yea I beat city and Pellegrini got sacked, because the table was that tight they fell to 9th lol

just smashed Barca over 2 legs, for a repeat of the 2008 final

16F9B41350F15798D3226A5375BB16CACFE278AA

73262178699C8F252815D516D50E7DB17F9DF16B

on of thier goals were match engine stupidity

thier first, Evra tackles Carrick who was about to clear, making the ball go to Pique....

I got to the Champions League final in my first season, meeting Chelsea aswell, lost to a Willian goal in the 120th minute mind. Hope your fortunes are better than mine.

Started my second season, three new players in the first team, Martin Montoya signed for 10m, Akinfeev on a free and Luca Modric signed for 10m aswell. Bought loads of youngsters from the german league, but all of them are under 18's, except for Brandt who I got on a free, and looks a huge prospect.

Playing a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 in tricky away games.

My starting lineup looks like this:

-----------De Gea------------

Rafael--Vidic--Jones----Sandro

Nani--Fellaini-Modric--Kagawa

------Rooney-RVP-----------

My backup lineup looks like this:

----------------Akinfeev---------------

Montoya------Smalling-Evans-------Evra

Valencia-----Carrick---Cleverley-----Zaha

-------------Welbz----Morata------------

As you can see, no huge changes, replacing the old guard mostly while building for the future. Planning to promote Powell and Januzaj next season, also looking for a replacement for Vidic. Sold Hernandez for 21m to Madrid, wasn't playing, and wanted to give Morata some much needed playing time. Havn't got rid of Young, tried but couldn't sell him. Nani out for six months, so he may be given a chance after all.

In my first season I won the CS, League Cup and the Premier League. This season my plan is to win the Fa-Cup and Champions League.

Anyone having a problem with existing players looking for huge increases in unused sub wage / appearance bonus. Kagawa was looking for 100k a week, 40k apperence fee, 35k goal fee and 27k unused sub wage. This seems way too much! Any one else having problems with massive bonus money being paid?

Started a new long-term project with United after a few practise saves. Getting towards the end of Season 1, still unbeaten in the league at the moment! We've dropped quite a few points both at home and away though, which I blame on a youthful and unadapted/new squad.

Because it's a long-term save I decided to make major changes from the off, in the hope of having a youthful, but settled world-class squad within 2-3 seasons.

First off I slashed the wage budget and brought in some funds by selling off Rooney, Evra, Vidic, Van Persie, Ferdinand, Young and the vast majority of the Under 21's in August of Season 1. The good news was that out of those big 6 players only Young stayed in England, the rest went abroad. Nani, Anderson, Lindegaard, Amos, Fabio, Evans and Fletcher followed in January after I had brought in some reinforcements. So at present that leaves me with:

De Gea

Johnstone (surprisingly good backup keeper!)

Rafael

Clyne - £6.5m - January

Doria - £8m - July

Balanta - £7.5m - August

Smalling

Jones

Baines - £24m - August

Shaw - £17.5m - January

Fellaini

Ward-Prowse (training as B2B midfielder) - £13.5m in January after I'd spent all winter unsettling him!! Cup-Tied though.

Carrick

Will Hughes (retrained as DM/MC and training as DLP) - £9.8m - August

Valencia

Januzaj (retrained as MR/AMR and training as a defensive winger)

Quintero (starting to be retrained as ML/AML as a defensive winger) - £16.5m - January (again I had set my sights on him from the off and succeeded in unsettled him in December)

Zaha - Out on loan until January then returned to challenge for a LM/AML position!

Benteke - £19.6m - August

Hernandez

Welbeck

Gabriel Barbosa will hopefully provide something different up top once he signs in the summer. He looks a bit like a young Aguero from what I've seen of him. I'm also hoping Ward-Prowse will turn into a genuinely world-class box-to-box/all action centre midfielder. Hughes is the natural successor to Carrick in my eyes, same with Shaw and Baines. I've got a good blend of direct/pacey and technical/creative wingers, my only concern being their defensive abilities at the moment - hence the defensive winger training!

Roll on the end of the season and next year! Exciting times at the theatre of dreams.

I've just hit November in my first season and it's going remarkably well, I tired not to fiddle with the squad too much and only bought in Luke Shaw and Timo Werner (Who has been immediately loaned out to FC Twente), Outgoing were Anderson and Buttner. I'm top as it stands, unbeaten in opening ten:

dx9zSmwl.png

(Bigger picture: http://imgur.com/PqsDTIT)

The only weird thing I'm seeing at the moment is that Ferdinand is my second top goal scorer with... 7 goals in 9 games... That seems a little odd to me. I can't seem to get anything out of Rooney either, he hasn't scored in 10 games.

PqsDTITl.png?1

(Bigger picture: http://imgur.com/dx9zSmw)

To the people talking about the appearance fees in contracts etc, I just lower them to a reasonable amount (Say 10k App fee and 15k goal bonus) and then lock them, and then throw in the team bonus of the year and all the rest of the stuff and lock them aswell, they will then ask for a higher wage per week but you can get that back down with a little work.

I found they always ask for huge amounts in bonuses on the first round of talks, just lower them and lock them so they cant ask for them again and you should be fine

same with transfers, they teams want many addons, I just remove those and they still accept.

finished my Premier league season

7652697BC197EA47F9D5CB2DC19C356A61FA5510

didn't lose despite fielding weakened sides in most games late in the season

Lyon got Relegated, is there anything worth getting from there?

oh and West ham seemingly are not in the mood to sell Ravel Morrison, and want £14.25m for Carrol

Currently got 2 United saves going now, one with my mate where I'm United and he's Spurs, and now one I've just started because I want to be able to play without him.

I didn't just want to sign the same players as I did on my other save. Just finished the first transfer window, here is my business:

Transfers In

Jese - £8.5m - Looks like he can be really good, can play in pretty much every attacking position.

Antonio Candreva - £6.5m - My new right winger.

Keisuke Honda - £1.6m - Paid a small fee to get him now.

Eder Alverez Balanta - £9.75m - Everyone knows him, will spend most of his first season on the bench.

Mattia Perin - £1.3m - Needed a back-up GK, he was cheap and looks like he can turn out pretty decent.

Mohamed Diame - £3.5m - Will offer some cover in midfield.

Ander Herrera - £13.5m - This lad will be a star.

Alessandro Florenzi - £12.25m - Will go straight in to the first team, great BBM.

Transfers Out

Antonio Valencia - £30m

Javier Hernandez - £23.5m

Anderson - £20m

Tom Cleverley - £30m

Alexander Buttner - £7.5m

Federico Macheda - £1.1m

Wayne Rooney - £43m

Michael Carrick - £3m

Very happy with my transfers overall, a lot of changes but very confident we can challenge on a few fronts this year.

I've just hit November in my first season and it's going remarkably well, I tired not to fiddle with the squad too much and only bought in Luke Shaw and Timo Werner (Who has been immediately loaned out to FC Twente), Outgoing were Anderson and Buttner. I'm top as it stands, unbeaten in opening ten:

dx9zSmwl.png

(Bigger picture: http://imgur.com/PqsDTIT)

The only weird thing I'm seeing at the moment is that Ferdinand is my second top goal scorer with... 7 goals in 9 games... That seems a little odd to me. I can't seem to get anything out of Rooney either, he hasn't scored in 10 games.

PqsDTITl.png?1

(Bigger picture: http://imgur.com/dx9zSmw)

Must be the corner bug situation which has been a problem that people can exploit in recent FM's. Did not know it carried on to FM14 unless it is just genuine scoring ability from Ferdinand which I doubt :p

why sell all the good ones O.O

anyway tight game, till i scored, Spurs had a corner, cleared down field.... hernandez gets to the ball first and only had the keeper to beat, and he did :D

953C58A04DA4DA860EE8ED4B97B01FEDD7D5DF8D

0FBDDB20E5A4387B0070F46A72C65A7892D55763

stole a win, as i have done in a few away games this season againstsome bigger teams.

AA1D92599AF891766EDF4836357AEAAE0632B3E1

full goals total in order

A4789D726B8853A0F5E5B3E0112602972E278692

Bought Balanta myself for a silly 7.25m off FCP lol

those newgens i got.

[imghttp://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/451778642765699210/34AC2BB4AF089B126E5FEBE6BDB94ADAA7480F0E/[/img]

loaned him to Huddersfield already for a decent fee, so should get my money back. he looks to be the sort of player i want.

22CDC208F663A57333B1C178703AA1613C91F79F

guy from west ham i posted earlier

98A785EC8B4383726AE9017C1F4B6DE151C1F013

91k from crawley, looks decent.

B30E9A678FE0CEB114F7C8EAFCC2DD1D6ACB33DD

1.3m could not resist

B6A65E9FFA4497D9E10C1E0BF48BBAD6D3F2CEF7

couldn't afford Valdes' wage demands, then ter Stegen pops up for 7.75m and wants a backup contract

now to offload some deadwood to tie up a couple more

the AI seems to cover the corner bug on mine, my near post corners get cleared.

I see so many people on here having great success with United in the first season, but I just can't seem to get my team firing after numerous saves...I would love to know what tactics you guys are using with player and team instructions. I play a standard 4-4-2 (2 wingers pushed up) and can't buy a win.

I don't get how you can sign your transfer targets so cheaply... do you negotiate yourself or let the transfer target mechanic handle it? I started with no budget, and only got 13.5 million for january. And though I had an offer accepted for Kroos, he wouldn't discuss contracts. If I try to sign Luke Shaw or James Ward-Prowse they want at least 40 million for each!!! I sincerely hope my board will up my transfer budget a bit for the summer, as I am struggling to sign any quality. I had to resort to sign Axel Witsel. And I don't get that you think Herrera and Koke will be great, my scouts rate them with 2-2.5 stars of potential...

it is on the first couple of pages my tactics

4-4-2 Fluid Attacking

keep wingers out wide, profit from crosses.

the scout reports are iffy, look at all your defenders most of them are 3 stars.

its about the numbers you see there and Herrera is great, trying to get him myself as i need another carrick like player as cover.

has anyone tried a counter attacking tactic with united? im currently nearing the end of season 2 and its been nothing but a disaster. 2nd in league trailing by 10points knocked out of all cups except champs league. my problem has been away games. I just cant win. I had no problem in season 1??? I fancy trying it out but im sure I read somewhere that strong teams should not play a counter strategy? is this correct or is it worth a go?

'm not seeing many through balls like in Football Manager 2013, so I was wondering is it because of my instructions or have they been toned down?

Anyway what passing setting do I choose If I want for exaample my Deep Lying Forward (Support) to play through balls to my Advanced Forward given that they make the partnership in my attack? Do I choose More Direct Passing, Shorter Passing or something else? At the moment it's set to More Direct Passing, but I'm not getting the desired effect like I did in Football Manager 2013.

nope, no counter attacking tactics, mine does counter attacking already.

sold Nani and Cleverley for 9m and 10m respectivly

just told Real Madrid to go away with a 32.5m Bid for Rafael, although the cash is tempting I would need to find a replacement

Papadopolous just developed a good chunk during the world cup as well.

Looking for someone to play on the left wing, Robben is Tranfer listed at Bayern for 10m but hoping there are other options as he doesnt have ideal pace.

AE051F9A43F0D7035041D4B1A550E7A2D8928F8A

206DD18CE267147DC7842BD2903D499ED9DE249D

4B10C661AF6EA28935F314CF023185991992C65C

good solid backup for my midfield, was going on a free so why not.

and as for through balls, I get them after going more direct, if you play shorter passes the ball gets passed about where you can either go out wide or for a through ball through the centre.

nope, no counter attacking tactics, mine does counter attacking already.

sold Nani and Cleverley for 9m and 10m respectivly

just told Real Madrid to go away with a 32.5m Bid for Rafael, although the cash is tempting I would need to find a replacement

Papadopolous just developed a good chunk during the world cup as well.

Looking for someone to play on the left wing, Robben is Tranfer listed at Bayern for 10m but hoping there are other options as he doesnt have ideal pace.

AE051F9A43F0D7035041D4B1A550E7A2D8928F8A

206DD18CE267147DC7842BD2903D499ED9DE249D

4B10C661AF6EA28935F314CF023185991992C65C

good solid backup for my midfield, was going on a free so why not.

and as for through balls, I get them after going more direct, if you play shorter passes the ball gets passed about where you can either go out wide or for a through ball through the centre.

right I wont bother with counter attack. as for the tactic you use. 442 (my preferred formation)do you change anything for away games? I feel that's what cost me the league last season(2) about to start season 3. 1st game away v Swansea. just sols zaha for 24m to PSG!! good business as he only played about 10 games in 2 seasons.

away games, no, I find that the one i use yo can score on the counter, it is a problem for me, I find that having a fit Fellaini and Carrick help. so rotate your players at home. Assistants advice heps as well.

if it worres you, train defence positioning before the match. if you are facing a table tail ender you should still win regardless of away form.

Meh, crashed my game by playing something else at same time and hadnt saved it ... oops.

Currently redoing my game start procedures... already spent past 2 hrs looking for staff to hire and who to fire.

Lets hope i can get deals for Pogba, Shaw and Ward-Prowse ... but guessing i will have to look at just buying 2 of the 3 as can see them being 25m+ each

Finally got my team tactic set up again (stupidly deleted demo before saving tactic.) It no the same but hopefully it will hold up.

I had a 16m bid for cleverley from Chelsea, he accepted it but it fell through when i delayed the transfer. Sent Buttner out on loan with a 200k a month fee as i couldnt get a good offer unlike first time when i got £8m. Zaha also out on loan to newcastle for 200k a month fee and a first team role. Should get him plenty of gametime i couldnt give.

My entire staff has been overhauled from the ground up. Left alot of the u18's staff though because i paid a fortune firing the main staff.... speaking of which, anyone else have an issue where mutual terminations accepted but the staff dont leave?

Currently looking at the following transfers in:

Pogba - £36.5m ... really not sure about paying that much. May just settle with keeping cleverley

Luke Shaw - £23m .. decent enough price considering.

Eder Alvarez Balanta - £15m ... looks very strong as is and would be able to slip straight into first team.

Just got to decide which take priority. I am leaning towards Shaw and Balanta and forgetting Pogba.

Finally got my team tactic set up again (stupidly deleted demo before saving tactic.) It no the same but hopefully it will hold up.

I had a 16m bid for cleverley from Chelsea, he accepted it but it fell through when i delayed the transfer. Sent Buttner out on loan with a 200k a month fee as i couldnt get a good offer unlike first time when i got £8m. Zaha also out on loan to newcastle for 200k a month fee and a first team role. Should get him plenty of gametime i couldnt give.

My entire staff has been overhauled from the ground up. Left alot of the u18's staff though because i paid a fortune firing the main staff.... speaking of which, anyone else have an issue where mutual terminations accepted but the staff dont leave?

Currently looking at the following transfers in:

Pogba - £36.5m ... really not sure about paying that much. May just settle with keeping cleverley

Luke Shaw - £23m .. decent enough price considering.

Eder Alvarez Balanta - £15m ... looks very strong as is and would be able to slip straight into first team.

Just got to decide which take priority. I am leaning towards Shaw and Balanta and forgetting Pogba.

I would say go for Pogba and Balanta. Balanta is a good price and an excellent replacement for vidic, he will also get sold to someone else if you dont buy him. Pogba i am trying to buy in my 2nd season and they want silly money. You already have 2 decent left backs in Evra and Fabio that will last the 1st season so you could spend the season unsettling Shaw and then pick him up for less.

@scott mufc

Would you mind posting your tactic for me to try? I'm struggling to understand the new tactics system. I find I make a tactic and its great for about 4/5 games then goes downhill very quickly. It might seem a little cheeky bit I tend to learn more from using other people's tactics whilst creating my own. I'm unsure how to use team instructions as I don't know the sensible pairings. For example retain possession would go with short passing but what about adding others I to the mix like play narrow with exploit the flanks etc push higher up with stand off opponent etc.

I like the old school united style of play. Gigs on left. Kean in middle. Pallister and Bruce. Cole and Yorke up top. How the hell do I implement it into fm? Giggs running at defenders for example. Get further forward, cross from byline. Run at defence,what else??? Also keane how would he be set up? Hassle opponent, close down more hard tackling more direct passes??? The list goes in and on!!!!! Always struggle with my own creations!!

Nearly finished my first season, won the league with five games to spare and won the Capital One Cup.

qm5vxgio

bpi7umyv

0h0rgtx3

Tactic seems to be working very well but had a few blips. For one, Aston Villa appear to be my bogey team in the league with two draws. I was also unlucky to lose against City in the league - Shaw was sent off in the 8th minute, conceded a goal in the 1st half but managed to score the equaliser in the 90th minute, only for them to go up the other end and score immediately after. A slight tactical mistake on my part. I also lost to Leverkusen in the Champs League group but the group had been done and dusted by then so I fielded a weaker team.

The last slight disappointment came in March where I drew three games in a row. Van Persie was going through a goal drought as was Rooney, so I put both of them in the U21 squad for a few games to get their confidence back. Welbeck did his best in their absence but it wasn't quite enough to win those games.

Got to play City in the Champs league Qtr Finals - won the first leg (a) 2-1 so fingers crossed I'll finish the job at O.T :)

Immediately after that game, we play Liverpool in the FA Cup. Stretching my squad a tad with these tough games, think I'll try and get a few more players in the summer.

Will do a proper season update at end of each season. But will throw basic monthly details here.

Playing the following system: GK, DL (FBs), DC (BPDc), DC (CDx), DR(FBa), MC (BWMd), MC (DLPs), AML(Ws) , AMR(Wa), SC(F9s), SC(CFa).

Every position has been modified by myself to be more fitting for what I want.

August Season 1 - Update

Players In - Shaw, Balanta.

Players out - amos, macheda

Key loan out - zaha to newcastle

Results:

Charity shield:

Wigan 0 - 11 Man Utd. (RVP 5, Rooney 3, Vidic, Valancia, Januzaj) ... No idea how this happened to be fair.

Premier league:

Crystal Palace 1 - 5 Utd (valancia, Rooney, RVP, Balanta, Young)

Man utd 3 - 1 Southampton (Gellaini, RVP, Hernandez)

Cardiff 2 - 3 Man utd (Smalling, Rooney, Hernandez)

Januzaj is currently playing like a beast. 4 games, 1 goal, 7 assists...

RVP has 4 games, 7 goals, 5 assists.

Rooney 4games, 5goals, 1 assist but out for a couple weeks injuried.

Just drawn liverpool for the capital one cup

How do you lot play RVP? I just can't get him to score. I play him as Advanced Forward, alongside Rooeny eho is DLF (Support). It's that thing that Rooney isn't playing through balls to hi like on FM 13.

Hi everyone, thought I would get involved.

I'm currently playing two tactics, after seeing the success people shave been having with a flat 4-4-2. In past football managers I used to always try and be successfully with a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-2 with AML/AMR. But on FM13 I would have no success with 4-4-2 and had to move to 4-2-3-1.

Currently, my 4-4-2 tactic works well, however I feel I am playing players out of position, i.e kawaga in LM. And also feel I am playing Janazji out of his natural position. Which also then affects potential transfer targets, as I don't want to sign AMC and retrain, as I feel I won't get the full potential out of a player.

Hence why I am trying to work a 4-2-3-1. I am playing the striker (RVP) as Complete Forward (Support) and having ok results. However I feel most of his high ratings are due to assists from corners etc. The AMC, which is either Rooney or Kawaga I play as Advanced Playmaker, (Support), which I have been getting poor results from, however I can't complain, as I am doing well in the league, and doing well possession wise.

Valenica on the AMR (Winger) has been fantastic, but more scoring goals, than assists. The AML position, which is Inside Forward, has been a mix up between Kawaga, Nani, Young, and Adnan, and again mixed results, but no one excelling in the position.

It's frustrating as I feel there is a lot of potential in the team, but getting average returns from the players. Moral is high as I am winning matches, currently 1st in the league after 11 games, and doing well in the champions league. Just need to stick to one of the tactics, as chopping and changing probably isn't helping.

How do you lot play RVP? I just can't get him to score. I play him as Advanced Forward, alongside Rooeny eho is DLF (Support). It's that thing that Rooney isn't playing through balls to hi like on FM 13.

CF(s)

In 35 starts he has scored 25 goals and assisted another 29.

GK (d)

CD (d) - CD (x) - CD (d)

CWB (a) ----------------------------WB (s)

CM (d) - DLP (s)

AP (A)

CF (s) - P (a)

So far in the league, P37, W28, D8, L1. GD is +68

Also destroyed Barcelona in the semis of the CL 6-2 on aggregate. :cool:

I had the high option available, set them all too it as generally do in first season to try encourage everyone to push for me. lol.

RVP plays as a complete forward(a) which is the left of the two SC's. Generally gets alot of goals from Januzaj. Mind you he been injured for most of september and only playing a bit in the couple games since his return and he not been quite the same :(

Still with that said... what an AMAZING september I had. Rooney and RVP have both been injured for periods of it and Hernandez just smashed everything into the back of the net. Shockingly good results.

September results:

Premier League:

Man utd 3 - 1 Newcastle (Hernandez 2, Balanta). Both RVP and Rooney out injured thanks to internationals.

Man utd 4 - 1 Arsenal (Januzaj, Valencia, Hernandez 2). Was 3-0 up after just 14 minutes.

West brom 0 - 4 Man utd (Hernandez 3, Young)

Capital one cup

Man utd 6 - 1 Liverpool (Januzaj 2, Hernandez 2, Rooney, Ferdinand)

Champions League

Man utd 3 - 0 Napoli (Smalling, Anderson, Hernandez)

Just a very quick update how last season finished.

Nani cost me the chance of winning the League in the penultimate game, needed a win, was winning then Nani gave a penalty away in the 90th minute and we drew 1-1 and finished 2nd. Won the community shield and the FA Cup but lost in the Champions League Semi Finals to Chelsea.

After I signed Montoya for about £10M Porto decide to list Danilo, sods law eh. I'll get some screenies of my 2nd season transfers up tomorrow

I had a pretty decent first season:

Premier League: 3rd

Champions League: Lost in Final on penalties to Barcelona

FA Cup: Won

League Cup: Won

Candreva Footballer of the Year

Florenzi 3rd Young Player’s Young Player

De Gea Golden Glove – 20 clean sheets

De Gea, Vidic, Candreva in starting XI, Evans and Welbeck on bench of Player’s Team of the Year

Welbeck Champions Cup Golden Boot - 10 goals

Evans, RVP, Welbeck in Champions League Dream Team

Candreva was excellent, 46(2) games in all competitions, 18 goals, 19 assists. Welbeck was my top goalscorer with 42(11) games, 27 goals.

Didn't want to disrupt the squad too much after the first season so only a few changes, signed 3 regens who look like they can be decent, also got Kevin De Bruyne for £7.25m, will only be cover but seems like it could be a decent deal. The only notable sales were Ashley Young for £3.8m and Ben Amos for £1m.

Also promoted a few youth players to the first team, Michael Keane, Nick Powell, Angelo Henriquez and Davide Petrucci, so they'll get some games against weaker opposition.

Hoping to win the league this season, that's my priority.

October and November are completed. Still remain unbeaten but some poor performances in there. Still, the good news is that Liverpool are in 13th and just fired brendon at the end of November, wonder how they will cope with the changes there.

Results for the 2 months:

Premier league

Man Utd 3- 0 Stoke (Hernandez 2, Kagawa)

Man Utd 3 - 0 Fulham (RVP, Ferdinand, Vidic)

Liverpool 0 - 1 Man Utd (Valencia)

Swansea 0 - 3 Man Utd (Jones, Valencia, Rooney)

Man Utd 3 - 1 Hull (Ferdinand, Rooney Januzaj)

Man Utd 3 - 0 Sunderland (RVP 2, Januzaj)

Norwich 1 - 3 Man Utd (Vidic, RVP 2)

Champions league

Zenit 0 - 3 Man Utd (Hernandez, welbeck, Anderson)

Schalke 1 - 2 Man Utd (Rooney, OG)

Man Utd 0 - 0 Schalke

Napoli 0 - 0 Man Utd

Capital one cup

Man City 1 - 4 Man Utd (Kagawa, Valencia, Young 2)

Archived