*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

Oh I get this all the time as well. Assistant Manager will give some in match feedback about closing down a player and/or marking them tightly, so I check my opposition instructions to find....I've already set them to close the player down and/or mark him tightly.

Which does make me wonder whether its the Ass Man feedback which is rubbish, or whether its the opposition instructions that don't work.

I think you've to take the assistant feed back with a pinch of salt :) well i do anyway.. in saying that some of stuff he repeats that you think you player is doing could boil down to the players stats , if you have a player with bad marking and work rate but advised him to mark a winger there's a good chance he wont do it well

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bet SI are regretting setting a release date for this. Bit of a mess. Tactics do close to nothing, attributes mean less than nothing. Every team i play (including pre season against minnows) dominate possession, shots on target and the highlights reel.

All of my highlights show sloppy passing, poor technique, no pressing, goal keeper mistakes, centre backs standing on top of each other yards from opposition players, conceding far post goals blah blah.

I think it has the potential to be one of the better FM's but right now it is not fun in the slightest - i know realism is important, but fun is even more so.

Watching guys like Van Der Vaart, Badelj et al get passed around by weaker players and then give up possession straight away is just so frustrating.

Good luck sorting it and doing it quickly, it'll be a great game eventually i'm sure.

True. I agree completely. This is very explicit in LLM where even a completely dominant team is still outplayed and changes to tactics does almost nothing. Its so annoying.

I think you've to take the assistant feed back with a pinch of salt :) well i do anyway.. in saying that some of stuff he repeats that you think you player is doing could boil down to the players stats , if you have a player with bad marking and work rate but advised him to mark a winger there's a good chance he wont do it well

The problem is it just leaves me guessing as to what is actually going wrong in games - which makes the process of trying to do something about it incredibly frustrating.

I have to say that I'm quite confused that a lot of people are arguing about passing completion being too high in the lower leagues. Pass completion at that level should only lower when a team plays long ball tactics (which to be fair is how a lot of teams play at that level). Against teams of similar ability they should be able to achieve 80% plus playing a possession game, which i assume a lot of the people posting 80-85% possession are. It's only if you see them playing against teams from better leagues who press better and are fitter that you should expect that pass completion to reduce.

I go and watch Penrith (9th tier) on a regular basis and they have 2 or 3 cms that pass the ball brilliantly, keep the ball well and I bet have 80% pass completion or more on a regular basis. I haven't seen too many of the stats and I'm only basing it on what I can see but only teams that play direct front to back football will have as poor a pass completion as some people are requesting from this match engine at that level or any of the the other lower league levels. I don't think that this part of the ME is broken.

That's really off. There's no way a league 2 team could have 80% chance completion on a regular basis. What on the world are you talking about?

Just played the Edinburgh derby with highlights set to key, I had 9 shots on target and Hibs had 1. No highlights were shown of any part of the game, is something wrong?

Key highlights now only show goals and very near misses afaik. I think I read on here somewhere that extended now works they way key highlights used to in previous FM's.

Like I said I would not lump everyone together when they state are are quite a few problems with the game and you automatically think they just have a bad tactic and can't work the ME out.

I totally agree, but I was trying to lump the guy quoted in with the bad tacticians. I'm not someone who thinks the game is spotless and every fault is due to deficient players.

The ME ain't perfect - far from it - but I've somehow got a system working that's giving me consistant and realistic results, along with a little bit of success too of course: midtable mediocrity in the Norwegian Second Div here I come...

The game does seem a little heavy to me, I have quite a fast hi spec laptop that normally performs very well.

The training doesn't do it for me, I might simply need time to adjust but I'm a 'tracksuit manager'. I like working with my players to improve them and I just feel the training lacks depth.

One other thing, when playing in window mode, if the game is processing and I'm looking at another window (IE for example) the FM icon in the toolbar doesn't flash to suggest the game has finished processing, any chance I can tinker a setting to change this?

Well your tactics aren't spot on because they don't work.

I've used the Tactics Creator and Classic Tactics and have done alright.

Well thats might not be the case. Unbeaten with my Arsenal side with a tactics that wouldn't really work IRL. But when I tried to implement WWfan's tips and suggestions in it ( I linked it for him and he commented on what he felt was wrong with it) I stopped scoring and started conceding.

I had no midfielder in defend duty, he said thats a no no

I had a lone striker as poacher, another no no

No overlapping FB's

+++

Not saying WWfan doesn't know his business, coz he clearly do. But it didn't work at all for my Arsenal side. My gamey tac worked wonders though.

Well thats might not be the case. Unbeaten with my Arsenal side with a tactics that wouldn't really work IRL. But when I tried to implement WWfan's tips and suggestions in it ( I linked it for him and he commented on what he felt was wrong with it) I stopped scoring and started conceding.

No overlapping FB's

+++

Not saying WWfan doesn't know his business, coz he clearly do. But it didn't work at all for my Arsenal side. My gamey tac worked wonders though.

Tactical changes can take several games to become fluid, WWfan's advice was sound. You're team would struggle with it at first if the changes you made were very different to what you were asking your team to do before but given time and the right types of players with the attributes to perform in the way they're asked to it would have clicked in time.

it worked very well and very quickly for me as implementing his changes didn't radically change the overall tactic, formation and strategy I was already employing.

I was also lucky that I already had the players capable of implementing those changes seamlessly. I had to use a different left back to the one in my first team before for example as the guy I was using was a converted cb with terrible crossing and no pace.

Hey!

I searched about this and found out that happened on others.This year's game is extremely slow for me! :( Ok,i have an old pc,one of the first dual cores and i do not have many expectations (that is why i load one playable league and a recommended amount of players.I only compare it to the previous fm's and the difference in loading time between the matchdays is dissapointing!Almost unplayable at times!

I tried to change the processing option to "fastest can't interrupt" in preferences and reduced the detail level of the leagues all around the world.No obvious improvement.

Does anyone mentioned it here,or found a solution?Is it a known problem for the upcoming patch?Or my only hope is to buy a new pc?

Whats unreal about it?

That a second league team would have 80% pass completion on a regular basis.

TSH Have you got the game ? i'm not been funny either i'm just wondering, i only pop in and out of here and catch the odd debate

Nope. Just complaining for the fun of it.

Also I've notived that you or other SI employers are trying to portrate those "different interpretations" as a negative thing which it is not. It is very good thing because it represents the real life and you should embrace it as this game creators. In real life football is only one, but milions of ideas how to play it. There is not 20 different football mechanics like there are with every year of FM where you have to "tweak" the tactics to the new match engine, cause it works differently this year. In real life the football mechanics is only one, but there are milions of ideas how to play it.

With football manager you're doing this:

We are offering 1000 ways to play this game and we want you to narrow your mind to it, cause that's the game limitation and that's how we see how football is played.

Instead you should be doing this:

We are expanding the tactical options more and more, starting with these limited ways to play the game, but working every year to expand those options by adding more, to include everybodys interpretation as a possibility of a tactical setting.

Let me give you an example.

If player X moves forward I want you to ALWAYS stay back. Currently you cannot achieve that with every player you would like to on the field and cannot do it directly. You can only trigger it indirectly and only in conjunction with other settings, which in effect are combined with others and so on and so on, which in the end has the same effect as a pinacle of this discussion: more limitation on the gamer.

You must reinvent this system, and start from building blocks that gamer(tactician) will "create" to his liking and put together with whatever effect it will be. Currently you are imposing programmers will on the gamers, where it should be the other way around. Gamers imposing their view of playing football(whether it is good/bad/right/wrong) on programmers for them to include the possibility of implementing those ideas within the game.

I'm finding your argument tough to follow.

You seem to be saying that it is fine that if SI tell you a slider is a screwdriver, you should be able to decide it is a spanner. They tell you that this tool works like this, only for you to say, no, it works, or should work, like this.

Let's try for another analogy. We all like car analogies, so let's use one. I imagine all us of can or will learn to drive a car. Some of us have a good understanding of the mechanics of the car. Very few of us can build a car. With pure sliders, we are all expected to know how to build a car. With the TC, merely how to drive one.

You are asking for a game with enough tools for the gamer to build a car. Given the number of sliders and notches, users should be expected to make sense of, conservatively, 2,400,000,000,000 possible combinations. And you want to add more building blocks so even different interpretations can be added?

The TC concepts at least reduce the possibilities to a couple of million. It still requires the user to think about how a football tactic should work. As shown over the last few days, users can still make lots of bad choices.

I don't see how limiting 2,400,000,000,000 possibilities to a few million is bad games design.

A second issue I have is that you feel it is OK for your interpretation to be different from other users, but you don't think the virtual players should be able to interpret your instructions in any manner other than how you want them to. As we can see just from this thread, human interpretations vary. I've twice explained an ME example in which I think a team conceding a goal is the result of a player losing possession despite his teammates thinking the player was going to keep possession and moving based on this assumption. Other people have responded to tell me that this is blind defending of the ME. One person has completely misinterpreted what I was trying to say and thought I was saying the defensive movement was OK. My experience of reading the ME is such that I'm pretty confident my interpretation is the better one, but it is not the only one.

What you seem to want is for you to be able to interpret 2,400,000,000,000 possibilities in multiple ways, meaning that there are now 12,000,000,000,000 possible interpretations. However, the virtual player on the field has to know exactly what you mean, every time, no question. Can't you see how making a game this way is totally impossible and completely unrealistic?

No overlapping FB's

+++

If you know your tactic is gamey and persist on using it because you know it will win, you aren't really getting the best out of the game, are you? Why don't you take a few losses on the chin and work out how to win with a football logical tactic? Long-term, your experience of FM will be greatly improved.

You seem to be saying that it is fine that if SI tell you as slider is a screwdriver, you should be able to decide it is a spanner. They tell you that this tool works like this, only for you to say, no, it works, or should work, like this.

Let's try for another analogy. We all like car analogies, so let's use one. I imagine all of can or will learn to drive a car. Some of have a good understanding of the mechanics of the car. Very few of us can build a car. With pure sliders, we are all expected to know how to build a car. With the TC, merely how to drive one.

You are asking for a game with enough tools for the gamer to build a car. Given the number of sliders and notches, users should be expected to make sense of, conservatively, 2,400,000,000,000 possible combinations. And you want to add more building blocks so even different interpretations can be added?

The TC concepts at least reduce the possibilities to a couple of million. It still requires the user to think about how a football tactic should work. As shown over the last few days, users can still make lots of bad choices.

I don't see how limiting 2,400,000,000,000 possibilities to a few million is bad games design.

A second issue I have is that you feel it is OK for your interpretation to be different from other users, but you don't think the virtual players should be able to interpret your instructions in any manner other than how you want them to. As we can see just from this thread, human interpretations vary. I've twice explained an ME example in which I think a team conceding a goal is the result of a player losing possession despite his teammates thinking the player was going to keep possession and moving based on this assumption. Other people have responded to tell me that this is blind defending of the ME. One person has completely misinterpreted what I was trying to say and thought I was saying the defensive movement was OK. My experience of reading the ME is such that I'm pretty confident my interpretation is the better one, but it is not the only one.

What you seem to want is for you to be able to interpret 2,400,000,000,000 possibilities in multiple ways, meaning that there are now 12,000,000,000,000 possible interpretations. However, the virtual player on the field has to know exactly what you mean, every time, no question. Can't you see how making a game this way is totally impossible and completely unrealistic?

You found his post hard to follow? The spanner/screwdriver post not exactly the best reposte.:)

If you know your tactic is gamey and persist on using it because you know it will win, you aren't really getting the best out of the game, are you? Why don't you take a few losses on the chin and work out how to win with a football logical tactic? Long-term, your experience of FM will be greatly improved.

Coz I'm not able to get them to play at all with a realistic tactic. 3D look like kindergarten football when I do. Also no consistancy in results. And my tac isn't that far fetched. Its not like the old 3-3-1-3 all central from several years ago that won every match no matter who you played with.

I keep doing adjustments during every single match to counter threats and exploit weaknesses in their team.

You found his post hard to follow? The spanner/screwdriver post not exactly the best reposte.:)

I'm not sure how I can explain it without being complex. The crux of the problem is that interpretation has to happen somewhere. I don't think it can be at the level of users and sliders, as the knock ons are so huge.

I think that post does illustrate the issue Si face in terms of the complexity of the ME. It has to cater for billions of possible combinations. People seem to forget that when complaining.

And thanks for proving my point about interpretation. I said I found his argument hard to follow (i.e. illogical), not his post.

Anyway, back on topic :)

I think I am about done with this thread.

I have a very good tactic and I am having a very successful season,now 9 points clear and only 4 to play on my Tonbridge save I think I am pretty much there :)

I am though still not sure sometimes what is going on with my tactics and the 3D highlights and the ME.

Although I have everything in place my keeper will still not play it short,on the rare occasion that he does the defender will pass it back to him and then the keeper will hit it long.

I also have my players set to only rarely to use long shots,yet if I have say 25 shots at goal half of them are from long range!

Honestly who do I have to sleep with at SI to sort these 2 things out,I am not looking forward to that but I will take 1 for the team :p

The tactic I have is solid and has been proven by my league standing so it is possible to build a winning tactic but it still has many flaws that hopefully PaulC and the team are on top of it.

I will add that I know many of the mods and devs are trying to help but maybe instead of automatically thinking "oh its their tactic" and then going on for 2 or 3 paragraphs on how they should play the game is maybe is not the best approach at times.(just a suggestion)

It should be simple, IRL I could tell a player: "Never leave the line, you understand? Never. No matter what you see, no matter what happens." And it he is a disciplined player, he will do it. If that screws the match, it would be my fault. The same for telling a Winger "I don't want you to come deep. Never. Your job is to be always ready to make a run at the back of the defensive line. If the FB pushes up, better for us." Or instruct a central defender to press the rival central defenders and defensive midfielders in front of their own box (Javi Martinez in Athletic de Bilbao last year).

That things happen quite often in elite football. Elite football tends to be very tactically very complex, and allowing all that stuff (and more) should be the goal.

This is a very good point.

For example, all of my players have long shots as 'rarely'. But they will still attempt several stupidly long ranged shots. I should be able to say to a player, I never want you to shoot from range...EVER. I don't care if there's no passing option available, boot it back to the keeper if you have to...but NEVER just smash it and give the ball away.

The fullback option is another good one. In my old team the coach would often tell the fullbacks (and all defenders) to NEVER go past the half way line.

More ability for individual instruction would be nice.

It feels like no one makes bids for any of my good players. Occasionally, I'll get one from a lower league club for one of my reserves and I can sell players if I want to get rid of them, but I have several great young players in my first team and no one's interested? I should add I'm not trying to sell them and would probably reject whatever bids were made, but it just feels unrealistic for players to play as well as mine have and to not have to fend off bids for them.

That was something that used to happen in older FMs and felt pretty real. And every once in a while you'd get a crazy high bid for your best player, it was cool.

This has been a problem for years, It never used to be, but now it is.

I dont know why but the transfer market, AI team building buying and selling seems to have taken a tumble that seems to have never been addressed.

Supposedly the AI cant tell the difference between the human and the other AI, but in the transfer market they definitely seem too.. They hate buying off the human and hate selling to the human.

What the computer looks for in a player and what the human does is completely different.

I know its must be hard to programme but the computer seems to have no common sense or sense in the value of money. They dont know what to do with it.

They seemingly turn down bids that are literately too good to turn down without a second thought, over value their own players and underrate yours. Spend a fortune on bad players they will never play from other AI clubs, yet arent interested in your star performers.

I think the AI in this department is much worse than it was 7 or 8 year ago even further.. Its been an issue for ages yet never improved despite this being more important than most of the other things they tinker with every year.

I dunno if its the same this time round but thats how the last few FMs have been. I'd be amazed if its not.

I would go as far to say the transfer market has been broke for at least 3 or 4 year. Ive complained about it since about fm2010.

Then theres the wages.. The AI players would rather move to a lower league club for a lot less money than what they demand from you. It doesnt even make sense.

Players unhappy and wanting to move would rather sit in the reserves for the rest of their careers unless you double their wages to go.

Players should understand when they past their peak and they are nolonger good enough they may need to drop down to a less club on lesser wages.

How often do club legends sit in the reserves for 2 or 3 years till their contract runs out irl? They almost always do on FM.

You start a game, look at the transfer history of most players before the game starts and they are hopping club to club every few year. Once the fm world kicks Its just blocks and blocks of the same club with 99% of the players.. the chances are they stay there till they retire.. which is also unrealistic.

This is a long term save gamebreaker imo.

As I said the other day, I just think SI need to step back and be objective here. There's no point arguing with your customers - you will never, ever win.

If you do step back you may want to ask, 'did we get pelters like this with FM11 or FM12?' If the answer is 'no, we're really taking some heat here' then you need to look at the game firstly as a product, these are dissatisfied consumers. Secondly you need to consider that what you thought was right...well, simply might not be. I know its tough to say you got it wrong but sometimes you have to.

I've played this series for years, making my own tactics (more recently with the TC) and keep them sensible and kind of neutral. Balanced formations, standard/control strategies, different attacking concepts etc. I'm pretty sure I have a grasp of football and how the series works but this version is inconsistent. Even the logic - by those who know best - seen guys in this thread simply falls over time after time. Admittedly I don't watch every minute of every match and most people don't as I believe they want a FM managerial career but the game shouldn't need to be micro-managed to that degree. if it does then you definitely have it wrong.

Just draw a breath guys, evaluate the feedback & play with the finished product a bit and then (hopefully in my eyes) improve it.

This has been a problem for years, It never used to be, but now it is.

I dont know why but the transfer market, AI team building buying and selling seems to have taken a tumble that seems to have never been addressed.

Supposedly the AI cant tell the difference between the human and the other AI, but in the transfer market they definitely seem too.. They hate buying off the human and hate selling to the human.

What the computer looks for in a player and what the human does is completely different.

I know its must be hard to programme but the computer seems to have no common sense or sense in the value of money. They dont know what to do with it.

They seemingly turn down bids that are literately too good to turn down without a second thought, over value their own players and underrate yours. Spend a fortune on bad players they will never play from other AI clubs, yet arent interested in your star performers.

I think the AI in this department is much worse than it was 7 or 8 year ago even further.. Its been an issue for ages yet never improved despite this being more important than most of the other things they tinker with every year.

I dunno if its the same this time round but thats how the last few FMs have been. I'd be amazed if its not.

I would go as far to say the transfer market has been broke for at least 3 or 4 year. Ive complained about it since about fm2010.

Transfers over all are a lot better then they have been i personally think, but i agree about the bigger teams not been aggressive enough in trying to sign you top performers or top youths

If you do step back you may want to ask, 'did we get pelters like this with FM11 or FM12?' If the answer is 'no, we're really taking some heat here' then you need to look at the game firstly as a product, these are dissatisfied consumers. Secondly you need to consider that what you thought was right...well, simply might not be. I know its tough to say you got it wrong but sometimes you have to.

Its the same all over the software industry, errors are never admitted until a new version is out a year or more later.

2011: FM 2012 is the most realistic game ever, players behave like they do in real life.brag brag brag. Nothing is wrong with the game.

2012: We had to change things coz FM2012 simply was't relistic, players didn't react realistic. trash trash trash. But this year it's all good.

2013: Fm 13 simply didn't live up to our standards, but we have fixed it, FM 14 is perfect..

2014: rinse and repeat.

It's like this all over the gaming industry, and it will probably never change.

PS: I just used FM as an example, and ofcoz I exagurrated to get my point out.

I'm sure with a few updates FM 13 will become excellent, we just have to wait and enjoy the game as best we can at the moment. They do listen to us even though they act like they don't in forum replies.

I'm sure with a few updates FM 13 will become excellent, we just have to wait and enjoy the game as best we can at the moment. They do listen to us even though they act like they don't in forum replies.

This is true. As long as I can remember I've never been 100% comfortable with the ME since it got a patch or two. At least we know SI will work on it and tweak things which is positive.

No need to be clever mate i was asking a genuine question

Sorry mate, sometimes is difficult to tell a genuine question in here.

You seem to be saying that it is fine that if SI tell you a slider is a screwdriver, you should be able to decide it is a spanner. They tell you that this tool works like this, only for you to say, no, it works, or should work, like this.

Let's try for another analogy. We all like car analogies, so let's use one. I imagine all us of can or will learn to drive a car. Some of us have a good understanding of the mechanics of the car. Very few of us can build a car. With pure sliders, we are all expected to know how to build a car. With the TC, merely how to drive one.

You are forgetting that SI didn't create football. It's rules and definitions of manager instructions are the same all over the world, bar some minor details. That means that SI or you can't make up it's own rules and definitions. If you do, the people will just be confused.

When a manager tells his team to press, he expects them to press. When he tells MCs not to take long shots, he expects that they will try to take as less as possible. When he tells his FB to always stay behind, he expects him to always stay behind, bar some rare moments where an amazing chance will be present itself (hence the player will use his ability to recognize it as such). When a manager asks his team to play direct passing he expects them to play direct passing and not short passing for the most time and so on...

These things are not consisent in the ME because they do not adhere to how the ME and the TC understand/interpret football. This is the exact opposite of what it should be. If all of these are wrong, please say so (genuine request).

Transfers over all are a lot better then they have been i personally think, but i agree about the bigger teams not been aggressive enough in trying to sign you top performers or top youths

The computer doesnt really care about buying or selling. It just doesnt interest them. They have no ambition. They dont panic buy. They dont plan for the future. They just dont care. If they underperform so what. They get a new manager, then sack him and repeat. Them they are in the championship.

They never think, wow 30 mill. what could I do with that.. Nah, I'll just buy another reserve GKer..

I know this must be near impossible to simulate but older FMs with a lot less complexity managed the illusion of the transfer market a hell of a lot better.

Even in CM00 They would be cut throat, upsetting your best players, and constantly on the steal. Now tho they dont care less who scored 30 goals this season or is a 16 year old England international star of the future. They buy some nobodys that even a mentally challenged potato could tell will never make the first team.

Now they seem to think I'll sell my best players for less than they are valued, and as soon as I say no either give up or repeat the exact same bid.. Then eventually buy some nobody for twice as much from some other club that will probably never even get a game.

I cant even remember the last time in a FM I had a bid too good to turn down from the AI, its always a no brainer, stupid to sell. The thing is they wouldnt sell for the price they are offering either.

So almost everybody ends up staying at the same clubs for ever.

The computer doesnt really care about buying or selling. It just doesnt interest them. They have no ambition. They dont panic buy. They dont plan for the future. They just dont care. If they underperform so what. They get a new manager, then sack him and repeat. Them they are in the championship.

They never think, wow 30 mill. what could I do with that.. Nah, I'll just buy another reserve GKer..

I know this must be near impossible to simulate but older FMs with a lot less complexity managed the illusion of the transfer market a hell of a lot better.

Even in CM00 They would be cut throat, upsetting your best players, and constantly on the steal. Now tho they dont care less who scored 30 goals this season or is a 16 year old England international star of the future. They buy some nobodys that even a mentally challenged potato could tell will never make the first team.

Now they seem to think I'll sell my best players for less than they are valued, and as soon as I say no either give up or repeat the exact same bid.. Then eventually buy some nobody for twice as much from some other club that will probably never even get a game.

Oh don't get me wrong far from perfect still needs tweaking but i personally think its improved or seems that way i'n my game

Oh don't get me wrong far from perfect still needs tweaking but i personally think its improved or seems that way i'n my game

I havent played yet so I'll take your word for it but thats how the last few have gone down.

So better but not quite good enough or even as good as it was?

anyway this for me is more a problem that occurs after the first few seasons and mainly effects long term saves. It takes a few seasons to realise its not working how it should. When the best players of today start retiring.

When a manager tells his team to press, he expects them to press. When he tells MCs not to take long shots, he expects that they will try to take as less as possible. When he tells his FB to always stays behind, he expects him to always stays behind, bar some rare moments where an amazing chance will be present itself (hence the player will use his ability to recognize this as such). When a manager asks his team to play direct passing he expects them to play direct passing and not short passing for the most time.

These things are not consisent in the ME because they do not adhere to how the ME and the TC understands football. This is the exact opposite of what it should be. If all of these are wrong, please say so (genuine request).

All of that happens, but not absolutely, because players sometimes react to fluid situations on the pitch (more so if their CF is high, less so if it is low, but there is always the possibility). The ME does have some bugs that stop it happening properly, most noticeably in the current version, the lack of pressing in the final third, which knock onto too many short, lateral passes. However, if you watch a whole match, it is patently obvious that players with high pressing press high (until that weird final third issue). An FB with low mentality and no FWRs hardly ever gets forward. He only does so when not doing so will patently cause a loss of possession and a defensive problem for him, which forces him to step up in support. Players with no long shots take long shots only when all passing options are out and they are in danger of losing the ball and initiating a dangerous counter if they don't get rid quickly. Teams with direct passing patently pass direct until that weird final third issue.

You then need to add in the bad decisions players make when they are tired, frustrated, angry, furious, wound up, nervous or complacent. They can all knock onto them failing to perfectly adhere to their tactical instructions. As can having little respect for their manager. As can a poorly gelled tactic. As can a poorly gelled squad full of players of different footballing cultures unable to speak each other's language.

It's not, never was, and can never be, as simple as "I say do that = player does that without question". That would be a horrible, horrible game.

Archived