FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

llama3

afcintroduction.png

MONTHLY UPDATE - April

Another month, another monthly update. April was always going to be a pivotal month, especially considering our surprise chances to win the title. We met Manchester United at the end of the month...

FIXTURES & RESULTS

6.4.13 | Barclays Premier League;

West Bromwich Albion - 1 (Lukaku '68)

Arsenal - 1 (Giroud '55)

Not a bad result in the grand scheme of things, but the performance was somewhat worrying. We had the chances but, as has often been the case this season, failed to take them - albeit Ben Foster was, of course, in inspired form. Olivier Giroud's finish from 8-yards finished off a good team move, but we played with the handbrake on from there on; so much so, allowing Romelu Lukaku to glide in unmarked to finish at the near-post.

13.4.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 4 (Mertesacker '46, Gervinho '66, Rosický '69, Arteta pen. '72)

Norwich - 0

Following the frustration at The Hawthorns, we really turned it on at The Emirates. Big Per's near-post header kicked things off, then a 3-goaled 6-minute salvo provided great entertainment. Tomáš Rosický was found well by Gibbs from the left, the finish was equally as emphatic. Gervinho's dancing, delightfully deadly run, from the touchline into the box, and finish was the pick of trio of successive goals - he won the BPL Goal of the Month for it!

20.4.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Fulham - 1 (Riise '56)

Arsenal - 2 (Rosický '42, Giroud '57)

At this point in the season, I don't really care about the team's performance, as long as we pick up the three points. This wasn't the vintage Arsenal that we've seen all to inconsistently this season, but we managed to win. Rosický continued his good form and fitness rounding off a good team move, while Giroud's goal directly from the restart ultimately won us the game. Manchester United beckon...

27.4.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal -1 (Giroud '14)

Manchester United - 0

Get in! I had my doubts whether our defence would be capable of handling United's attacking quartet - a quartet which overwhelmed us earlier in the season - but my fears were more than allayed, they we assertively put to bed with a tremendous defensive performance. Olivier Giroud's goal was a good one: he sprayed the ball wide to Monreal, continued his run, before peeling expertly off the back of Evans to tuck home the cross. 'English Braveheart', Jack Wilshere, was fantastic throughout. Although, he should've grabbed a well deserved brace...

barclayspremierleaguema.png

Barclays Premier League table; as of May 2nd

TRANSFER UPDATE

As mentioned in the previous update, I had been close to agreeing a deal for young Crewe Alexandra talent, Micah Sommerville. I thrashed out a deal with the nPower League One side and agreed a £120,000 transfer fee for the services of the 16-year old. He will join the Arsenal Under-18's squad in the Summer on a youth contract.

MICAH SOMMERVILLE Forward | 16-years old | England | ★★★★

99micahsommervillecrewe.png

The raw talent is certainly there. His technical and mental attributes are surprisingly good for a 16-year old, but the physical aspect of his game leaves a fair bit to be desired. Upon his arrival, I'll look to develop that side of his game before focusing on the other aspects. If Sommerville can add pace to his game, he'll become a fearsome opponent for any defence - whether it be at youth or senior level.

As for other transfer developments, there hasn't been much meaningful movement. Chief scout, Steve Rowley, is currently scouting La Viola creative forward, Stevan Jovetić, with the intention of making my interest in him more concrete come the Summer. I'm also monitoring Kevin Strootman's situation - who's been transfer listed since January - at PSV Eindhoven. More to come in a later update.

Thanks for reading. Let's push for the Barclays Premier League title, lads...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basically he did a very dirty tackle on Ramsay which left the poor lad out for 8-9 months, also halting Ramsay's development he's also part of an annoying Stoke team for those reasons that's why he's disliked by Arsenal fans

I've forgiven shawcross for the tackle but I'll NEVER forgive Pulis he showed ZERO sympathy about Ramsey he even said of Wenger ' he can keep his opinions'

watch your language please -welshace

Tony Pulis is a cretin undeserving of the life he has been given, he spits in the face of everything good in football. I would light his hat on fire.

I have just started what I hope will be my final save with Arsenal (been restarting all over the show recently) anyway, I want to invest in some good attacking fullback options, especially on the right. Any ideas? Seems to be a pretty weak position, especially with regards to what is available to us at the start.

I'v decided to create a future save from my one currently in 2020/21 I've simmed to 2033

Former Vasco player Dede is a club legend as is Former Napoli player Edison Cavani, Jack Wilshere & Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are the 2 current Arsenal players who are now legends , regens I signed or came through the youth system who are legends are Sebastian Jimenez & Petar Dowlingthe other regen legand is Gaston Machado

Of players I've Signed Gareth Bale , Carlos Fierro & Leandro Damiao are icons regen icons are Michael Bustamante , Ibrahim Mahrous & Bratislav Grucjicic

Won my 6th Champions League trophy, although very nearly threw it away conceding 3 goals in the second half of the match! Won it mainly to this gem who I finally let into the first team from the reserves

5DAF8DC7D2B2B1F808AD09125B073678D239B8F0

11F0614DD54E81DA6174BEBF272CF932BB5ADD15

And Chamakh has just been named West Ham manager :D

Started up my first proper save last night. Due to players out on loan etc. found ourselves a little short up front, with Giroud being the only striker I was able to use (Walcott and Podolski were both being used out wide) so I bought Lisandro Lopez from Lyon.

Made a great debut in his first friendly, scoring 2 and setting up 1, before 1 training session later he's out for 3 months with a hip injury, so back to square one. :mad:

Play him as a CAM, I still have the record goal scorer Fantini playing for the club, although due to injury last season, Almeida actually outscored him by 3 in all competitions, although he played 7 games more

Just finished Season two...

Finished 2nd in the league 1 point behind Man Utd, Unfotunately i lost 2-1 away at tottenham on the final day of the season which seen Man Utd over take me. Gutted to lose the title on the last day at Spurs too - Nightmare.

Won the Europa League 4-1 vs Valencia after being knocked out the champions league in a tight group.

Won Both the League Cup and the Fa Cup with wins against Chelsea and Cardiff respectively.

Giroud was a beast and Scored 53 goals in as many games, keep Adrian waiting on the bench for a chance to get some goals.

Subotic (9m signing) and Mertesacker formed a great defensive partnership keeping Koscielny and Vermaelen on the bench too.

My Side last season

Julio Ceser (4m) from QPR

Sagna/Jenko

Merstacker

Subotic (9m Dortmund)

Gibbs/Monreal

Wilshire

Cazorla

Isco (30.5m Malaga)

Lucas Moura (12m PSG)

Walcott

Giroud/Adrian (15.5m Atheltico)

I've had a good few players come and go, Jordan Henderson was signed for 5m and sold to Chelsea for 10m

Mo Diame cost 3.5m and sold to Swansea for 10m.

Gervinho sold to PSG for 13m first season.

Just entered the Summer transfer window and i've made it priority to bring in some England youth after just accepting the England Job.

Nathanial Clyne was the first to join for 6m to replace the outgoing 31 year old Sagna who joined Juventus for 14m.

Phil Jones cost me 15m more than he would have cost Barcelona or Real Madrid who had offers of 16m accepted, where as i had to pay 31m but i couldnt let him go to one of the other two. Hopefully he can split this partnership of subotic and mertesacker as mertesackers pace worries me.

Morgan Schniederlin i unsettled him after having a 20m bid turned down before the window opened, Recommened by scouts and won young player of the year, stats are looking brilliant and only going to get better. Eventually signed him for 14m after he handed in a transfer request and they reduced the original 18m figure they wanted.

Now just to get rid of Henry, Diaby and Andre Santos to reduce the wage bill slightly.

Question - What role does everyone else who has Phil Jones play him ? Ive signed him as a Centre Half who can cover at right back when required.

I am Planning on doing everything possible to win the league this time round.

arsenal-1_zps7db11a7f.jpg

Season 2020/21 November Update

Prem; 01/11/20; Emirates; Arsenal 6-0 Everton: Oxlade-Chamberlain 4 , Fierro 4 , Cavani (Pen) 15 , Fierro 34 & 36 , Troiano 67

CL(GS); 04/11/20; Emirates; Arsenal 4-1 Steaua: Fierro 15 , Leonte 33 , Mostafa 45 , Fierro 45+2 & 64

Prem; 07/11/20; Emirates; Arsenal 3-1 Burnley: Jimenez 2 , Jabiles 47 , Fierro 80 , Jabiles O/G 90

Prem; 14/11/20; Emirates; Arsenal 5-2 Southampton: Oxlae- Chamberlain 8 & 18 , Fierro 23 , Cavani 34 , Fierro 34 , Voigt 60 & 67

CL(GS); 17/11/20; Emirates; Arsenal 2-0 Shakhtar: Papaopoulos 12 , Fierro 73

Prem; 21/11/20; Madejski; Arsenal 3-0 Reading: Penny 6 , Fierro 28 , Wilshere 56

C1C 25/11/20; Stamford Bridge; Arsenal 0-3 Chelsea: Lukaku 2 , Ongenda 34 & 56

Prem; 28/11/20; Emirates; Arsenal 4-1 Boolton: Jimenez (Pen) 13 & 27 , Dede 40 , Hamalainen 67 , Fierro 83

Arsenal-FC11_zps43885b1a.jpg

Season 3 December Update

CL(GS); 03/12/14; Veltins-Arena; Arsenal 3-1 Schalke: Giroud (Pen) 8 , Dede 32 , Huntlaar 38 , Eduardo 79

Prem; 07/12/14; Stadium Of Light; Arsenal 1-1 Sunderland: Fletcher 1 , Oxlade Chamberlain 56

Prem; 17/12/14; White Hart Lane; Arsenal 1-1 Spurs: Nani 25 , Dembele S/O 26 Kelly O/G 67

Prem; 20/12/14; Emirates; Arsenal 3-0 Norwich: Giroud 4 & 22 , Dede 56

Prem; 23/12/14; Emirates; Arsenal 2-0 Stoke: Eduardo 41 , Shawcross 59

Prem; 27/12/14; Emirates; Arsenal 3-0 Blackburn: Bennett 21 , Gnarby 37 , Giroud 68

Prem; 31;12/14; Pride Park; Arsenal 1-0 Derby: Gnarby 41

afcintroduction.png

MONTHLY UPDATE - May

It really is the business end of the season, now. We're top of the league, somehow, with three games to go. As the old adage goes: it's ours to lose. Here's how May went...

FIXTURES & RESULTS

4.5.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Q.P.R - 1 (Taarabt '81)

Arsenal - 1 (Cazorla '40)

It was a thoroughly professional performance up to the 80th minute. Then the jitters set in and we made a monumental ****-up. Santi Cazorla, playing from a wide position, finished with aplomb just before half-time to put daylight between us and Manchester United. Come the final quarter of the game, though, we imploded. Adel Taarabt anticipated Laurent Koscielny's poor header back towards Fabiański and blasted home. We're losing it...

12.5.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 0

Wigan - 0

Infuriating. Disappointing. Frustrating - they're all good adjectives to describe this match. We were by far the better team: 63% possession, 18 shots on goal and an ability to move the ball which couldn't be matched by Wigan. We had a wealth of brilliant chances, notably Laurent koscielny's header in the 93rd minute. Ali Al-Habsi was, once again, in inspired form. So much so, he all but shelved our title ambitions...

19.5.13 | Barclays Premier League;

Newcastle -3 (Cissé '25, Ben Arfa '37, Vučkić '67, Tioté second yellow '33)

Arsenal - 4 (Giroud '6, '30, '38, Ramsey '64)

Playing most likely for second or third, rather than the title, we showed fantastic spirit. Not only to score four goals, but to remain resilient when Newcastle pushed for the equaliser. Olivier Giroud - whom I love greatly now - was the decisive factor. His hat-trick, his first wearing the Arsenal crest, couldn't have come at a better time. His first goal combined pace, power and sheer subtly, while his second and third were engineered by good movement and equally as impressive wingplay.

Elsewhere, we had to rely on both Manchester clubs and Tottenham Hotsp*r to slip up if we stood any chance of winning the Barclays Premier League. Sadly, both Manchester City and Sp*rs romped to fairly easy wins over Norwich and Sunderland respectively. On the other hand, Manchester United lost 1-0 to the Lukaku-inspired West Bromwich Albion. We finished 3rd.

afcseasonreview.png

DOMESTIC AND CONTINENTAL COMPETITIONS

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE;

It was a topsy-turvy sort of season; the type of season where you're, for the large part, unimpressed by the team's performance but somehow sneak into title contention. We started the season very well, despite the level of performance not being to the level I had desired. A 9-match unbeaten run was ended by a succession of disappointing defeats to Manchester United and Sp*rs. Our form from then on, until the Christmas period, was fairly inconsistent. From then on, our form picked up, losing only twice in our remaining twenty games - emphatic wins over Southampton and eventual champions Manchester City at the turn of the year being the catalysts.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by our final League standing. Apart from finishing beneath Sp*rs. That's bad. Very, very bad.

barclayspremierleaguefi.png

I was rather surprised by the final league standings of Liverpool and Chelsea, although the latter have squirmed their way to the Final of the UEFA Champions League. Equally as surprising was the relegation of Michael Laudrup's Swansea. Subsequently, the legendary Dane has been relieved of his duties in South Wales. From the nPower Championship, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn have clinched automoatic promotion to England's premier division, while Cardiff City face Hull City in the play-off final.

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE;

We romped through the group stage - and that's not an overstatement! We won every single game, which I was rather surprised about. Portugese side, SL Benfica, didn't offer the competition I expected of them, while we expected to overwhelm both Montpellier Hérault SC and FC København despite their undoubted quality.

The difficulty came when we met Olympiacos, a side we should be beating. The first leg in Greece wasn't that bad: overturning a 1-0 deficit was certainly achievable and, for 80-minutes in the second leg, it was. We thrashed our way to a 3-0 lead after 30 minutes that night, 3-1 on aggregate. Then we imploded, conceded two goals, and were knocked out on away goals. Typical Arsenal...

As for the final, Huub Stevens' Chelsea and José Mourinho's Real Madrid face eachother at Wembley to be crowned as European Champions. I'm firmly routing for Madrid, obviously.

FA CUP;

Another cup competition, another disappointing outcome, with our FA Cup journey curtailed in the 5th round by Blackpool. The third round saw us draw 0-0 with Watford, we later beat them 1-0 in the replay at The Emirates. The fourth round saw a similar turn of events, where we needed yet another replay to advance, this time winning 2-0 at The Emirates. We travelled up to Blackpool with a rather inexperienced team, but one you would expect to beat a nPower Championship side. We were outplayed, outfought and out of the FA Cup. Next year...

Newcastle United, led by the surprisingly cohesive duo of Papiss Cissé and Shola Ameobi, won the tournament. The Magpies defeated Manchester United, after extra-time, by a goal to nil.

CAPITAL ONE CUP;

This was a competition which I had my eye on during pre-season. Not only to give my younger, more promising players a taste of senior level football, but also a competition which we could win. It got off to a good start: we defeated Watford (yes, them again) 3-0 at Vicarage Road, thanks to a brace from Lukas Podolski. Manchester United beckoned in the fourth round, but we weren't able to overcome Sir Alex Ferguson's side. On a positive note, both Serge Gnabry and Thomas Eisfeld both made their competitive Arsenal debuts - the former impressing greatly.

Manchester United went on to win the competition, beating Burnley. They've now won it four times in their history.

ARSENAL - THE STATISTICS

It's been a fruitful season in terms of goals, assists, passes, tackles and more. During the season, I often analyse my players' individual statistics. Here are some of the outstanding, more notable statistics from my Arsenal squad in all competitions:-

APPEARANCES

1. Jack Wilshere - 49 appearances

2. Santi Cazorla - 46 appearances

=. Olivier Giroud - 46 appearances

4. Lukas Podolski - 45 appearances

=. Mikel Arteta - 45 appearances

MOST GOALS

1. Olivier Giroud - 26 goals

2. Lukas Podolski - 15 goals

3. Gervinho - 9 goals

4. Santi Cazorla - 7 goals

5. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - 6 goals

MOST ASSISTS

1. Santi Cazorla - 12 assists

2. Gervinho - 11 assists

3. Olivier Giroud - 9 assists

=. Jack Wilshere - 9 assists

5. Bacary Sagna - 7 assists

=. Theo Walcott - 7 assists

MOST PASSES

1. Mikel Arteta - 2,885 passes (61.8 p/g)

2. Jack Wilshere - 2,165 passes (44.6 p/g)

3. Bacary Sagna - 2,120 passes (44.1 p/g)

4. Santi Cazorla - 2,059 passes (39.8 p/g)

5. Laurent Koscielny - 2,032 passes (43.9 p/g)

MOST INTERCEPTIONS

1. Thomas Vermaelen - 328 interceptions

2. Laurent Koscielny - 317 interceptions

3. Per Mertesacker - 300 interceptions

4. Bacary Sagna - 213 interceptions

5. Kieran Gibbs - 164 interceptions

DISTANCE COVERED

1. Jack Wilshere - 352.6 miles

2. Santi Cazorla - 340.4 miles

3. Mikel Arteta - 317.2 miles

4. Bacary Sagna - 290.2 miles

5. Lukas Podolski - 280.1 miles

MY GUNNERS OF THE SEASON

As with every club's season, there will be a few standout individuals. I've decided not to use the players' average ratings as a statistic as they are, at times, rather misleading. Anyway, here are my top three 'Gunners' of the season, in no particular order:-

10. JACK WILSHERE 49 APPEARANCES | 1 GOAL | 9 ASSISTS | 86% PASS COMPLETION | 22 KEY PASSES | 243 TACKLES | 7.09 AVERAGE RATING

Jack Wilshere epitomises Arsenal Football Club: passion, quality and class. He displayed everyone of those club and person defining adjectives this season, although his average rating may not show it. Alongside Santi Cazorla and Mikel Arteta - who both enjoyed fine seasons too - Jack Wilshere offered the best of both worlds: the creativity, the sheer talent on the ball as well as the bite and good teamwork of it. He played predominantly as creative box-to-box midfielder, allowing Wilshere to showcase most, if not all, of his attributes. His best moment came against Manchester City at home, where he ran the show offensively as well as dominating defensively.

Annoying, Stuart Pearce has selected Jack Wilshere to be a part of his England U-21's side for the U-21 European Championships. The sooner they're knocked out, the better.

12. OLIVIER GIROUD 46 APPEARANCES | 26 GOALS | 9 ASSISTS | 48 SHOTS ON TARGET | 31% OF SHOTS WERE GOALS | 7.44 AVERAGE RATING

His goal tally speaks a thousand words, really. 26 goals in his debut Arsenal season, I couldn't ask for much more. Playing as a deep-lying forward, the burly Frenchman adapted his game well to my fluid, slick style of play and added a whole new dimension to our attack. His hold-up play was exceptional, his movement equally so and his finishing, for the large part, was clinical. With this being Olivier Giroud's first season in English football, he'll only get better with time. In my opinion, his form was deserved of more chances in the Les Bleus national team. But that's Didier Deschamps' loss.

With another quality striker likely to grace The Emirates' turf next season, Olivier will have to up his game even further. I have every confidence he will.

4. PER MERTESACKER 33 APPEARANCES | 2 GOALS | 1 ASSIST | 99 TACKLES | 300 INTERCEPTIONS | 7.68 (!) AVERAGE RATING

I love him in real-life, I now love him on FM13. Per Mertesacker may not be your archetypal Arsenal defender, but he's certainly a bloody good defender. His reading of the game is second-to-none, so much so, it more than makes up for his lack of pace. Per Mertesacker is often written off by FM'ers, but with the right defensive set-up, he can be top class. Throughout the season, the lanky German put in masterful defensive displays as well as popping up with one or two goals. Impressively, Per Mertesacker was also included in the FIFpro XI of the Year - a worthy accolade for a brilliant defender.

Alongside Laurent Koscielny next season, Per Mertesacker will lead us to title glory. I hope. Probably not.

MY TRANSFER PLANS - SUMMER 2013

Confirmed Signings;

MICAH SOMMERVILLE FORWARD | 16-YEARS OLD | CREWE | TRANSFER FEE: £120,000 | Friendly to be arranged as part of deal

For £120,000, Micah Sommerville looks a fine acquisition for the Under-18's side and for the future. Graduating from Crewe's famed youth academy, the 16-year old caught the eye of Pat Rice, who was scouring the land for talented youngsters. With the right development, he'll become a top quality player for The Arsenal.

YAYA SANOGO STRIKER | 20-YEARS OLD | AJ AUXERRE | FREE TRANSFER | Scored 20 goals in Ligue 2 this season

The 6' 4" French Under-21 international has stood out at AJ Auxerre this season, scoring 20 goals in 36 Ligue 2 appearances this season. He's always someone I've looked at, but have never got around to recruiting him. With a lack of out-and-out strikers at the club, Yaya Sanogo is likely to play as a deputy for Olivier Giroud next season - even if we manage to bring in another striker.

OPA NGUETTE WINGER | 18-YEARS OLD | VALENCIENNES | FREE TRANSFER | Capped three times by France Under-21's

Signed on a similar deal to Yaya Sanogo, the Valenciennes winger has been tied down to a 4-year contract at The Emirates. Nguette coupled blistering pace with an ability to dribble with the ball as well as a rather formidable physique, something which will allow him to settle into the English game quicker than others. He'll have pre-season with us before I decide on his first-team future - a loan to affiliate club FC Lorient looks likely.

STEFFEN SØRENSEN 15-YEARS OLD | FC MIDTJYLLAND | FREE TRANSFER | Becomes the second highly-rated Scandinavian at Arsenal, alongside Kris Olsson

Scandinavia has always been a hotbed for talent and with the signing of 15-year old Sørensen, it's obvious that nothings changed. The diminutive playmaker possesses an eye for a pass, as well as decent technique. Joining the Under-18's in the Summer, he'll hopefully develop well during his time here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Probable and Confirmed Outgoings;

There'll be plenty of outgoings this Summer. Hopefully, we'll continue the club's recent trend of breaking even in the transfer market. Andrey Arshavin departs the club with our best wishes, returning to his homeland club, CSKA Moscow. Sébastien Squillaci will also be leaving the club on a free transfer, was will youth players Conor Henderson, Ignasi Miquel, Saed Hajrović and Sanchez Watt who've all failed to make the exceptional Arsenal grade. I will also be looking to offload returning loaness, notably Nicklas Bendtner, Park Chu-Young, Denílson, Johan Djourou and even the cuddly bear, André Santos.

In terms of potential first-team outgoings, I will be listening to offers for Bacary Sagna if he decides not to renew his contract at Arsenal. Abou Diaby may well be moved on if his injury situation fails to improve.

- - - - - - - - - -

Three Hopeful Incomings;

STEVAN JOVETIĆ FORWARD | 23-YEARS OLD | FIORENTINA | Probable fee: £18-23 MILLION | Probable wage demands: £70-90,000-A-WEEK

Stevan Jovetić has long been on my transfer wishlist. The Montenegrin has all the required attributes to become a world-class centre forward, one which the Arsenal faithful will remember for decades. He combines creativity with deadly finishing, immense touch with world-class technique - all this has led to him bagging a more than notable 19 Serie 'A' goals this season. At 23-years old, he's still relatively young and has a good decade or so in front of him. Although, at upwards of £18 million, I'm not too keen on the fees likely to be involved, especially with Manchester City lurking. Let's see what the Summer holds...

Possible alternatives: Kevin Volland (TSG Hoffenheim), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (AS Saint-Étienne) and Michu (Swansea City; transfer-listed)

MAXIME GONALONS HOLDING MIDFIELDER | 24-YEARS OLD | OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS | Probable fee: £8-10 MILLION | Probable wage demands: 20-30,000-A-WEEK

Having been in for the influential OL midfielder in January, I'm looking to make my interest formal again this Summer - especially if we can find a suitable club for Abou Diaby. Gonalons, who fell out with OL manager and former Gunner, Rémi Garde, during the season, won't come cheap though: likely to be priced at around £8-10 million. My squad is in need of a authentic holding midfielder, someone who could protect the back four with consummate ease and regularity. Maxime Gonalons could be that man...

Possible alternatives: Étienne Capoue (Toulouse), Victor Wanyama (Celtic) and Sebastian Rode (Eintracht Frankfurt)

MATTHIAS GINTER CENTRE BACK | 19-YEARS OLD| SC FREIBURG | Probable fee: £5 MILLION | Probable wage demands: AROUND £20,000-A-WEEK

We have no dependable fourth choice centre-back. Equally as alarming is the fact that we have no promising young centre-back at the club. That's where the signing of Matthias Ginter would come in; he'd kill two birds with one stone. At 19-years old, the imposing German youth international has his halcyon years ahead of him and, playing as an understudy to compatriot Per Mertesacker, he'd certainly learn a few tricks of the trade. Matthias Ginter can also play further up the pitch, having known to fill in at central midfield from time-to-time. I hope we can wrap this one up...

Possible alternatives: Aleksander Dragović (FC Basel), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea) and Nicolas Isimat-Mirin (Valenciennes)

- - - - - - - - - -

As ever, I'll have my eye out for any potential bargains but I don't expect any more overhauls this Summer - probably a couple of additions and one or two relatively low-key replacements. The Bundesliga is a market which I will look to exploit. As ever, I'll update you as my Summer transfer plans formulate and progress.

That concludes my bumper end of season update. I hope you all enjoyed it. Certainly was good fun looking over the season. Up The Arsenal!

Corking update as usual Llew, always a nice little read.

Unlucky in the league, just slipped at the final stage. Still, before the start of the campaign a third place finish wouldn't have been that bad at all, especially finishing just a point behind the winners.

Nice Llew, bummer about losing your grasp on the trophy, better luck next season I guess. I agree on Per, seems really solid for me so far. Should be good competition in the CB spots.

For those interested, I've updated my end of season update a little bit further up the page. I've added my transfer plans for the coming Summer.

Corking update as usual Llew, always a nice little read.

Unlucky in the league, just slipped at the final stage. Still, before the start of the campaign a third place finish wouldn't have been that bad at all, especially finishing just a point behind the winners.

Cheers, Tom!

I wasn't too disappointed with how the season ended. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to be in with a shot of the title. At the start of the season, all I wanted was a UEFA Champions League spot. Third place and a title push isn't all that bad.

Nice Llew, bummer about losing your grasp on the trophy, better luck next season I guess. I agree on Per, seems really solid for me so far. Should be good competition in the CB spots.

Thanks. I love Big Per. Reads the game magnificently well, good in the tackle and complements Laurent Koscielny, and Thomas Vermaelen, very well.

unlucky llew - keep it up and do better next year

Cheers!

Season 3 January Update

Transfers: Li Yuming 1.3m/Real Madrid - 11.5k/week 4.5 Star Pot

Liu Hailong 1.1m/Real Mardrid - 55 quid/week 5 Star Pot

FA(Rd 3); 04/01/15; Elland Rd; Arsenal 2-1 Leeds: Doria 45 , Wilshere 67 , McCormack 79

Prem; 10/01/15; Etihad; Arsenal 0-1 Man City: Dzeko 13

Prem; 13/01/15; Boleyn Ground; Arsenal 3-0 West Ham: Shawcross 13, Damiao 46* , Eduardo 67

* out for 2 months with injury

Prem; 18/01/15; Emirates; Arsenal 1-0 West Brom: Eduardo 43

FA(Rd 4); 24/01/15; King Power; Arsenal 2-1 Leicester: Balzaretti 9 , Vela 34 , Wood 40

Prem; 27/01/15; Stamfod Bridge; Arsenal 4-1 Chelsea: Walcott 7 , Mata 12 , Dede 22 , Balzaretti 43 , Doria 90

Prem; 31/01/15; Emirates; Arsenal 3-0 Everton: Eduardo 13, Walcott 34 , Eduardo (Pen) 61

2013/14 Mid-Season Update

At the turn of the year we sit second in what is looking to be a four way battle for the title, with Manchester City and Liverpool also looking to challenge Manchester United.

34hxq94.jpg

Marcelo Biesla has turned Liverpool into a force to be reckoned with with the inspired signings of Etienne Capoue, Andre Ayew and Pedro Leon whilst earning £17.25m from the sale of Sturridge to Tottenham. Manchester City have also strengthened with Belhanda and Pjanic enjoying stellar seasons. Whilst Manchester United's Rooney and Van Persie have been scoring for run, backed up by £23m Yarmelenko, who is tearing up the league and £25.5m Dede who has been a rock at the back. Its going to take something special to knock United off of their perch.

We have been impressive this season at the front and back by being second in the league in terms of goals scored and conceded. Giroud has a healthy return of 10 goals in 14 starts and Sczezsney has 9 clean sheets which is joint best with Lloris. Goals seem to be coming from all parts of the team, especially in set pieces with the center backs getting amongst the goals, with Vermaelen, Mertersacker, Koscielny and Ogbonna sharing 12 goals between them. Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere and Cazorla have all been in great form since the start of the season. However, Podolski and Walcott have been disappointing with their contribution of goals so far with just 2 each in all competitions.

We cruised through our Champions League group stage picking up 15 points and Paloschi with 6 goals and in contention for the Golden Boot, its a shame he hasn't been also to apply his European form domestically where he still waits for his first league goal. We now face a potentially trick tie against PSG in the last 16.

The signings made in the summer have proved to be solid and unspectacular and have been deployed largely in the cup and Europe.. Zabaleta has earned a respectable 7.13 average rating in 13 appearances in all competitions. Ogbonna has a sturdy 7.30 in 9 apps. Paloschi has 6 goals in 13 apps and all these goals have been in europe with a hat trick and a brace coming against S. Moscow and Ajax. £13.25m signing from Newcastle Vurnon Anita has performed okay with a 7.00 in 22 apps. There has been a contrast in the performances of the two wide man loanees. Simone Pepe has a comfortably 3 assists in 8(2) apps whilst Scott Sinclair has been poor with 3 appearance in the League with a poor 6.33 rating and 6.75 overall. He had a fantastic game against Ajax where he scored and assisted in a 2-1 win, but I wont be taking up the £3.6m buy option.

As for potential transfer targets I have secured winger Eugene Konoplyanka on a bosman from Ukraine club Dnipro. He will arrive January 1st. I am also looking at acquiring Benzia, Ward-Prowse and Kjaer on Bosmans.

The quality of many posts in here, especially Llew_Arshavin23's efforts, have rekindled my FM mojo.

Haven't been able to choose a save for days, but now I'm intrigued to see if I can solve the riddle that is Arsenal.

Fantastic News. I haven't posted in your tactical threads over the past week as have been focusing on getting my Arsenal save through the pre season. Decided I would have them learn your 4-3-3 but am currently going with the 4-1-2-2-1 with the view of maybe moving to a 4-3-3 then to a back three formation over the next few seasons.

Christ, not so sure after creating a new save; that Arsenal squad is low on numbers and quality.

Decent first XI and some good stats at the back, but two or three injuries, especially in central midfield, and it must be a nightmare to get a good team on the pitch.....

I've started and ended about six saves in the last few days, this might be next.

Has anyone managed to get any of youngsters playing first team football like Akpom or Gnabry
I've managed to get Gnarbys stats up a little with help from Walcott and Adrian, Will post a screeny when im home, and he has been doing well when called upon as a sub/reserve.

I find that there is a lot of versatility, it is not a bad squad at all. You can win the title with that first season.

Not doubting the versatility, nor that you can win the title, but I think you'd need a lot of luck with injuries.

I feel that if I lost two out of Arteta, Giroud and Vermaelen for a two or there month spell, I'm not sure the quality of depth is sufficient to cover those losses.

I would also be looking to change Arsenal from the 4-2-3-1 system to something I perceive to be a bit more solid, and in my opinion there just aren't enough defensively competent MCs in that squad.

Not doubting the versatility, nor that you can win the title, but I think you'd need a lot of luck with injuries.

I feel that if I lost two out of Arteta, Giroud and Vermaelen for a two or there month spell, I'm not sure the quality of depth is sufficient to cover those losses.

I would also be looking to change Arsenal from the 4-2-3-1 system to something I perceive to be a bit more solid, and in my opinion there just aren't enough defensively competent MCs in that squad.

Theres no denying there is a vulnerability about arsenal and a Big injury to one of the 3 players can cause you trouble, But thats why its nice to have the healthy £30m you initially recieve heavily spent on these areas of cover, Plus the fact you can easily flog a few players - Gervinho can bring in upto 15m, Arshavin up to 10m and sometimes Andre Santos 6m.

Despite what anyone thinks, Mertesacker is your best centre back, And Koscielny is on par with Vermaelen but i signed Subotic from dortmund for 9m first season and he was my best centre back for 2 seasons he had alot of game time due to injuries to Vermaelen.

I used the 15.5m clause in Adrians contract as back up for Giroud and he luckily hit the ground running and scored some vital goals.

Ramsay did a good enough job for me filling in for Arteta, but i also spoke to the board and asked them kindly to sign Isco.

i still think i could do with a DMC although i have not long spent 14m on morgan schneiderlin from the saints.

Season 3 Febuary Update

Prem; 03/02/15; St James' Park; Arsenal 1-0 Newcastle: Giroud 24

Prem; 07/02/15 Emirates; Arsenal 5-0 Cardiff: Eduardo 13 , Giroud 35 & 48 & 75 , Edurado 78

FA(Rd 5); 14/02/15; St James' Park; Arsenal 3-2 Newcastle: Eduardo 49 , Cisse 56 , Erikson 59 , Giroud 83 , Vela 87

CL(1st K/O Rd Leg 1); 18/02/15; Red Rull Arena; Arsenal 3-0 FC Red Bull Salzburg: Giroud 23 & 39 & 68

Prem; 24/02/15; Liberty; Arsenal 4-0 Swansea: Eduardo 7 & 24 , Vorm O/G 28 , Giroud 75

I can't believe What a Bargain Eduardo has been in this save

Apps:142(3)

Gls: 94

Assts: 44

MoM: 17

and all for only 5.25million!!!!!! :D

Gutted to finish third Carmi88, but love seeing Spurs go down.

arsenalthebest, whoa that is fantastic return for Eduardo, he often seems to get transfer listed. Perhaps I will bring him in. How do you play him?

As a DLF-A in centre with Giroud as an AF-A on his left & Fierro/Walcott as a poacher on his right

Interesting, kind of how I am looking to move towards in a season or so. Can I ask, do you have any of those three set up as the Target Man?

I lost Vermaelen for 4 months on an old save, and Koscielny and Mertesacker were magnificent (they are probably the best pairing at the back), Arteta can be replaced well enough by Coquelin and Ramsey, Giroud is much more of a loss yes, and for real life that is exactly the same, no natural replacement for his role in the team.

After losing the league last season, along with the CL final to Athletico Madrid, we then lost the community shield to Man City! My team were ready to take their frustrations out on the first opposition of the new season, going down to 10 men within the first 14 minutes was a massive problem for Man Utd :D

7A3A8C2F6C889067581913812F4CD29450BD6E61

31F61B1538AF64D4978B75E2656D18BCBC601A05

arsenalintroductionpres.png

PRE-SEASON UPDATE - Summer, 2013

Welcome back! It's been a long two months since the culmination of the 2012/2013 season. I've tinkered the finer details of my tactics, strengthened my squad somewhat and we're now preparing for our first game of the new Barclays Premier League campaign: Nottingham Forest, away.

TINKERED TACTICS

As mentioned in the brief introduction, I've altered some of the finer details of my tactics. The overall objective is very much the same though: to play attacking, fluid football with the added intent of monopolising possession and remaining astute defensively. Here's how my team will set-up for the majority of the season:-

433ss.png4231b.png

I didn't change much in terms of set-up, more the finer details of individual roles. Consistency of performance was something we lacked last season and it ultimately cost us. We needed to keep possession better, move the ball quicker and make more chances. Throughout pre-season, the signs were promising. We seemed to have a bit more potency going forward, encouragingly. Last season we were a bit too passive at times.

FIXTURES & RESULTS

As ever, our pre-season was a testing one. We began with a trip to Sweden, followed by a long-haul to the Far East then back for two tough challenges in Germany, via Crewe. Encouraging performances all-round. As a team, as well as individual performances.

afcfixturesandresults.png

Our best performance probably was the game against Fortuna Düsseldorf at a packed ESPRIT-Arena. Although, it's unfair to disregard the team's efforts in the other six games. All in all, it was a productive season. One which offers much encouragement leading up to the new Barclays Premier League season.

OUR TRANSFER WINDOW SO FAR

It's been a hectic transfer window throughout Europe and the wider World. Some clubs have made leaps, rather than steps, to strengthen their squad while some have squad's have regressed remarkably. For example, the Barclays Premier League has seen many a big money move: Keisuke Honda to Manchester United for an astonishing £34 million, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Thomas Müller to Manchester City for a combined £65 million. On the other hand, Chelsea have seen little success this Summer - Tom Cleverley for £18 million their only notable signing.

So far this Summer, we've signed a total of two players - although we had agreed four transfer deals during the 2012/'13 season, with the four joining in the Summer. Recently we clinched the signature of highly-rated VfL Bochum midfielder, Leon Goretzka. The box-to-box midfielder will add depth to the squad as well as a probable replacement for Abou Diaby, who's struggled with injury. The marquee signing though is, as you may have already guessed, Stevan Jovetić. The Montenegrin forward has been a long-term target of mine and I finally got my man - although Vincenzo Montella didn't give him up lightly.

In terms of outgoings, there haven't been any standout departures. Fringe players who spent last season on loan - Johan Djourou, Park Chu-Young and Nicklas Bentdner - have all been moved on for a total of £11.8 million. Marouane Chamakh has also go on loan to Ligue 1 side, Lille OSC. Players who failed to make the grade, like Sanchez Watt, Sébastien Squillaci, Ignasi Miquel and Conor Henderson, have all left on free transfers.

More on the details of the transfer in a later update. I'm also looking for a centre-back. Watch this space.

Onward to Nottingham Forest then. As ever, I'll be compiling monthly updates throughout the season. Up The Arsenal!

Hi guys i have been playing FM for a number of years even before it split and became Football Manager, and never have i struggled as much as i have in this version of FM. I have had the same situation in single player and on my network game playing with friends.

The first season is relatively successful but second season i really struggle to create chances and more importantly score goals. I do not ship to many goals but i am getting really frustrated with the number of chances my strikers miss.

i know people will say it is my tactic but on my single player i won the premier league and champions league first season. (this is since the data update)

advice please guys

my main tactic used is below.

ScreenShot2013-05-01at102958_zpsccb7d10b.png

ScreenShot2013-05-01at102940_zpsa22c5b07.png

your reputation goes up from winning the league in your first season, so teams will approach playing you very differently, you need a plan B or to perhaps let your players be more creative to get the best out of them?

Llew I would suggest that if you are using inside forwards your full back need to be attacking as otherwise you could be short on width. Also I wouldn't want BBM in a 4-2-3-1 as it could clutter the middle of the pitch as it moves forward also could leave you a bit open.

Into my second season with Arsenal won the title in the first. Have signed Jovetic, Lars Bender, Tomkins, Montoya, Martins Indi, Veratti, Shaqiri, Vela and Rodriguez

guys, kevin volland....what a beast! i highly recomend him, excellent aml inside forward as well as striker....out-performing luis suarez in my second season...only cost £15 million and he has 5 star potential according to a coach!

he is like a better version of jovetic out wide for me

Llew I would suggest that if you are using inside forwards your full back need to be attacking as otherwise you could be short on width. Also I wouldn't want BBM in a 4-2-3-1 as it could clutter the middle of the pitch as it moves forward also could leave you a bit open.

Completely agree on Full Backs and the overlapping, you'll lack width badly otherwise. Also a BBM in the 4-2-3-1 i have tried loads, and agree it just gets in everyone's way, and none of the 3 central midfielders play effectively. Both MC's in a 4-2-3-1 should be shielding and holding position a bit more.

I should have another monthly update on here by tonight :thup:

Completely agree on Full Backs and the overlapping, you'll lack width badly otherwise. Also a BBM in the 4-2-3-1 i have tried loads, and agree it just gets in everyone's way, and none of the 3 central midfielders play effectively. Both MC's in a 4-2-3-1 should be shielding and holding position a bit more.

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I don't seem to lack much width in truth. I've often tried attacking full-backs, but found it's a bit too cavalier for my liking. Although, I'll give it another try upon both of your recommendations. As for the box-to-box midfield issue, it is just a role in my case. I've altered the individual instructions, setting the 'Runs from Deep' at 'Rarely', so it doesn't clutter the midfield too much.

Archived