FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

llama3

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got re-started last night,

Signed Sakho (8.25m), Luke Shaw (12m), Okore (2.2m), Fierro (3m) and Bennett from Derby (2m). Net spend of 10 million since I managed to flog a lot of the deadwood, Arshavin, Girvinho etc.

Played first game of the season last night, beat QPR 3-1, Cazzola, Podolski and Chamberlain with the goals. They scored in the 93rd minute, I had used all my subs and had to take Chamberlain off so it was 11 v 10 for the last 5 minutes or so. Quite a good performance all round, especially by Sakho who is just immense.

Hi Gary,

Just starting up my save on the new patch. Thinking I will play a 4-4-2 or some variation of this time round. Wanting to focus a lot more on changing tactics a bit more often depending on how I want to take it to the opponent.

Anyway, looking at your setup I had a few questions:

-The use of defensive wingers. Do you find this limits the players in those positions? I would have thought you would want players like Carzorla having a bit more freedom to cut inside etc.

-Both the CMs are quite defensive minded. Do you not think it would be good to have Jack bursting forward from midfield a little more etc?

-Do you use a target man or playmaker?

I like how you mention in one of your follow up posts that you like to use the right player for the opposition. I think this is something important to focus one, which alone can almost win games. Also making sure you are combining the correct players works wonders too I find. I.E pairing size with quickness etc.

Mark, it is defensive indeed, but I want that in my Arsenal team. The support CM role that Jack/Arteta utilise allows them to get forward more than I'd have thought. The defensive wingers is a bit of a misnomer I feel, think of them as James Milner (but with actual talent) They press high up the field, tackle and win the ball in dangerous areas. Walcott was my most productive player of the season with 10 goals and 19 assists by February before my laptop packed in.

The fullbacks, who are set up to be in partnership with their wingers also adds to the attacking. Monreal/Gibbs on the left are set to attack with Cazorla as support and on the right, Peruzzi/Sagna/Jenks support the more attacking Walcott.

I use the DLP as playmaker and no target man. The hardest thing i've had to deal with so far is getting more production out of my advanced forward, usually Podolski. Great in some games, scored 15 goals in all competitions by February but in others gets a 6.0 rating and doesn't get involved at all. I'm still working out if its the player, the opposition or the position thats causing this indifference.

You're right about the pairing of players and the right players. For example, if I play Giroud as my deep lying forward, I have him man marking when defending corners, if I play Maupay there, he doesn't. Away to teams like Stoke I play with Sagna at right back as he is better in the air to defend crosses. And when I play Spurs....I hurt Bale :)

Finally got re-started last night,

Signed Sakho (8.25m), Luke Shaw (12m), Okore (2.2m), Fierro (3m) and Bennett from Derby (2m). Net spend of 10 million since I managed to flog a lot of the deadwood, Arshavin, Girvinho etc.

Played first game of the season last night, beat QPR 3-1, Cazzola, Podolski and Chamberlain with the goals. They scored in the 93rd minute, I had used all my subs and had to take Chamberlain off so it was 11 v 10 for the last 5 minutes or so. Quite a good performance all round, especially by Sakho who is just immense.

Good signings there mate, I see your PSG game influenced at least one of them. I highly recommend James Tomkins to anyone needing a centre half, the boy is fantastic.

Mark, it is defensive indeed, but I want that in my Arsenal team. The support CM role that Jack/Arteta utilise allows them to get forward more than I'd have thought. The defensive wingers is a bit of a misnomer I feel, think of them as James Milner (but with actual talent) They press high up the field, tackle and win the ball in dangerous areas. Walcott was my most productive player of the season with 10 goals and 19 assists by February before my laptop packed in.

The fullbacks, who are set up to be in partnership with their wingers also adds to the attacking. Monreal/Gibbs on the left are set to attack with Cazorla as support and on the right, Peruzzi/Sagna/Jenks support the more attacking Walcott.

I use the DLP as playmaker and no target man. The hardest thing i've had to deal with so far is getting more production out of my advanced forward, usually Podolski. Great in some games, scored 15 goals in all competitions by February but in others gets a 6.0 rating and doesn't get involved at all. I'm still working out if its the player, the opposition or the position thats causing this indifference.

You're right about the pairing of players and the right players. For example, if I play Giroud as my deep lying forward, I have him man marking when defending corners, if I play Maupay there, he doesn't. Away to teams like Stoke I play with Sagna at right back as he is better in the air to defend crosses. And when I play Spurs....I hurt Bale :)

Podolski does seem to be a bit hit and miss. When I play against Arsenal he always, and I mean ALWAYS scores against me. Plus he normally gets quite a high rating. I found his form in pre-season was pretty avarage to say the least, however, against QPR in my first game I think he got MOM and a 8.6 rating. That was playing as an IF behind Giroud.

My plan is to maybe leave Luke Shaw playing a bit part role for the first month or two of the season, I may put him in the reserves and let him just get his feet at the club. Same with Fierro and Mason Bennett. All have undoubted quality and could be brilliant players, however, they aren't first choice on paper and I don't see any of them as game changers just yet so I wouldn't want to be leaving them on the bench if other options are available.

Has anyone used Monreal to any great effect? I am trying my 3 at the back formation but I do occasions swap to 5 at the back with wing backs, Gibbs looks the better players for me?

Think before the end of the window I could do with either another winger or another striker, just to give me more options up top. At the moment I only really have Podolski and Giroud up there as Walcott and Chamberlain are needed as wingers. Might get Gaintan from Benfica as a back-up perhaps and push Theo up front when needed.

Gary_Parker - Yes, PSG save heavily influenced my signing of Sakho, terrific player and made up to get him so cheap. I was expecting to pay 15-20m!

I'd go Rodrigo over Gaitan if you're raiding Benfica. Also, don't be afraid to use Luke Shaw. His stats are pretty pants to begin with but, it's not bothered him performance-wise for me at all.

Now if you'll all excuse me, i'm off to skip and dance and sing for joy. FINALLY got my wage budget to creep under the £5mill mark although now i'm worried that Umtiti and Shawcross might not be up to the standard of Vermaelen and Alderweireld...

I'd go Rodrigo over Gaitan if you're raiding Benfica. Also, don't be afraid to use Luke Shaw. His stats are pretty pants to begin with but, it's not bothered him performance-wise for me at all.

Now if you'll all excuse me, i'm off to skip and dance and sing for joy. FINALLY got my wage budget to creep under the £5mill mark although now i'm worried that Umtiti and Shawcross might not be up to the standard of Vermaelen and Alderweireld...

How on earth did you get it under 5m? Have you just sold everyone and replaced them with foreigns who don't understand the UK tax rule?

Haha, nope. I've signed a fair few players and ditched a lot too. The main thing is signing on long term deals then telling them to bolt when they come asking for more money. This year they seem to accept it and saunter off where as last year they'd throw the toys out of the pram and ask for a transfer.

I'm guessing my bonuses will take it over the 5 mill but even then i don't pay more than 10k for goals, apps or clean sheets. No more than 500k for the other bonuses. Also, offering 10-20% of the future fee and a relegation release fee of £0 helps keep wages low.

Ter Stegen 245k

Ruddy 150k

Given 9k

Papastathopoulos 235k

Stones 160k

Clyne 140k

Shaw 170k

Umtiti 240k

Shawcross 250k

Marrone 210k

Peruzzi 60k

Bridges (regen) 11k

Koke 155k

L Bender 300k

Wilshere 375k

Oxlade 245k

Ramsay 250k

Ward-Prowse 93k

Yarmalenko 230k

Shaarawy 185k

Griezmann 205k

Rodrigo 250k

Ademilson 56k

That's the first team. Reserves, staff and under 18's will make up the rest and there's probably reductions because there's 6 young players on loan. Obviously i've done a lot of business but, no one will be in the last year of their contract for another 3 years so i don't plan on doing any transfer business for those three years (other than signing regens and selling players). I'll either sell young ones that can't break through and are whinging about it or sell first team players if there's a youngster ready to step up.

Haha, nope. I've signed a fair few players and ditched a lot too. The main thing is signing on long term deals then telling them to bolt when they come asking for more money. This year they seem to accept it and saunter off where as last year they'd throw the toys out of the pram and ask for a transfer.

I'm guessing my bonuses will take it over the 5 mill but even then i don't pay more than 10k for goals, apps or clean sheets. No more than 500k for the other bonuses. Also, offering 10-20% of the future fee and a relegation release fee of £0 helps keep wages low.

Ter Stegen 245k

Ruddy 150k

Given 9k

Papastathopoulos 235k

Stones 160k

Clyne 140k

Shaw 170k

Umtiti 240k

Shawcross 250k

Marrone 210k

Peruzzi 60k

Bridges (regen) 11k

Koke 155k

L Bender 300k

Wilshere 375k

Oxlade 245k

Ramsay 250k

Ward-Prowse 93k

Yarmalenko 230k

Shaarawy 185k

Griezmann 205k

Rodrigo 250k

Ademilson 56k

That's the first team. Reserves, staff and under 18's will make up the rest and there's probably reductions because there's 6 young players on loan. Obviously i've done a lot of business but, no one will be in the last year of their contract for another 3 years so i don't plan on doing any transfer business for those three years (other than signing regens and selling players). I'll either sell young ones that can't break through and are whinging about it or sell first team players if there's a youngster ready to step up.

Hang on hang on hang on....

Have I missed something here, that is how much you are paying people per week?? Is that in English £? I haven't read back a few pages so apologies if I have missed something but Whilshire being on 375k p/w seems utterly mental!!

Ter Stegen 245k

Ruddy 150k

Given 9k

Papastathopoulos 235k

Stones 160k

Clyne 140k

Shaw 170k

Umtiti 240k

Shawcross 250k

Marrone 210k

Peruzzi 60k

Bridges (regen) 11k

Koke 155k

L Bender 300k

Wilshere 375k

Oxlade 245k

Ramsay 250k

Ward-Prowse 93k

Yarmalenko 230k

Shaarawy 185k

Griezmann 205k

Rodrigo 250k

Ademilson 56k

Is that monthly? Please tell me that is monthly.....

I'd assume that's monthly since he states that his wage bill is now below £5m p.m. and all of those add up to roughly £4.2m or there abouts.

My god I hope you are right....otherwise this guy should quit FM!

At the same time, being in mind he must be talking sort of 2014/2015 season to still be signing Shawcross etc, how would you get Shay Given on 9k p/w - so what 2k per week? isn't he on about 60k per week at the start of the game?

Missinginstereo is not MissingFromForum and I need to speak to this guy quickly :p!!

O and on another note, have you guys signed any of Arsenal's old players back.

I just read on another post that someone got Pires, Gilberto Silva and Henry back first season, then signed Nasri, Clichy and Alex Song within the first two seasons? The first three seem like a massive step backwards but OK to tutor I suppose?

Haha, already had this convo. MONTHLY!!

Shay's old, got him on a free as a player/coach (coach part probably why he's so cheap). Also picked up Seol Ki Hyun on a similar deal. Refused to retire but, he's a decent coach and should be good for tutoring too. I'm either in my third or 4th season. Vermaelen is 28 if that helps.

Also, RE Shawcross. He's brilliant in the game. Never have a club without him.

Just bought Yarmalenko, was SORELY tempted to wait a year and buy Vela on the buy back clause for £3.5m then sell him for £20+mill.

I always re sign players, except traitors like Clichy and Nasri. Still on FM12 so RVP was still at my club and became staff, only players I've gone for and rejected me were GIlberto Silva [spurs coach at the time], Lehmann [wants to be a manager] and Arteta [manager]

Have Henry as my Assistant Manager :thup: Eboue, Kolo Toure, Pires, Bergkamp, Seaman, Rosicky, RVP, Campbell and Wiltord all as staff :D Along with Xavi, Pato, De Boer, Yaya Toure, Puyol, Motta, Velosa, Buffon, Marcelo, Palombo and Lampard :)

Appraoching the end of the first transfer window of the second season and I'm having so much trouble shipping out the dead wood. It seems as if no one wants Diaby, Chamakh, Santos, Rosicky, Fabianski or Mannone, even though i've been forced to really lower my valuation. How much has people in here managed to flog them for?

Oh ok, so you usually play Jack/Mikel as the CMs, who plays the DLP then? I was considering a DLPd and APa combo, have been reading up a lot in the T&T Forums and seem to like the idea of that. The DWs is also appealing to me so will probably try that, only thing is, do you feel you need to retrain players to DW? Have you tried Theo as the advanced forward at all?

Who is your first choice eleven as well?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get myself really comfortable with how I want to play this save. Will hopefully be my main save for FM13 and hoping to have it run for a long time (Have spent the last two days getting my staff and youth system in order and still not there!)

I always re sign players, except traitors like Clichy and Nasri. Still on FM12 so RVP was still at my club and became staff, only players I've gone for and rejected me were GIlberto Silva [spurs coach at the time], Lehmann [wants to be a manager] and Arteta [manager]

Have Henry as my Assistant Manager :thup: Eboue, Kolo Toure, Pires, Bergkamp, Seaman, Rosicky, RVP, Campbell and Wiltord all as staff :D Along with Xavi, Pato, De Boer, Yaya Toure, Puyol, Motta, Velosa, Buffon, Marcelo, Palombo and Lampard :)

how you get them all they dont appear in my save

No Idea, only leagues I have loaded are England, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Scotland, Spain. All top leagues only and view only apart from England down to championship, Spain and France playable with a large db.

Second game of the season played, drew 0-0 away to Fulham. This game for me was very interesting, both in terms of my sqaud and my tactics.

I lined up with a 3-6-1 as follows: Szc in goal, Sakho, Vermaelen, Mert, Arteta (DLP), Walcott RW, Cazzola, Ramsey, Chamberlain, Podolski, Giroud.

First half Berbatov had 2 headers hit the cross bar and Riise fired in a few faily good crosses from the left hand side that had to be cleared. All in all we were a mess, defence being dragged all over the place.

At half time I brought on Gibbs and Jenkinson for Podolski (who had a rating of 6.2!!) and Chamberlain who was slightly injured. Went 5-3-2, pushed Walcott up with Giroud and trying to peg Fulham back a bit. We had a few good chances, Arteta missing the best from about 6 yards out when completely unmarked. Then in the 70th minute, Steve Sidwell decided to two foot Sakho and got a straight red. Big chance I thought, however, having used two subs the only attacking option I had was to bring on Fierro for the extremely tired Aaron Ramsey and went 3-4-3. Somehow we lost our shape, even Diarra being sent off in the 82nd minute didn't change anything! Are passing was awful, Cazzola was completely lost, Giroud wasn't holding the ball up and Szc seemed to keep putting his goal kicks straight off the pitch! A dull and somewhat frustrating 0-0 draw.

What I did notice was my awful lack of attacking options, only Giroud, Podolski and Walcott were my significant attacking threats and as showed, if Podolski is off form then Giroud had no support. Theo came off the wing and then we had no one to beat the full back!!! Very frustrating.

Deadline day I had a deal agreed for Steven Jovetic for 17m however I pulled out last minute and instead opted to loan Pepe (AMRL) from Juventus for a nominal fee. I feel he will be a good squad player over the next season whilst I figure out the best formation. Jovetic would of been great, but long term I may not play the AMC at all.

Next game, Newcastle at home.

I got Cardiff at home in the LC, and a Champions League group of Olympiakos, Basel and Malaga. Confident in both comps I can get through.

Oh ok, so you usually play Jack/Mikel as the CMs, who plays the DLP then? I was considering a DLPd and APa combo, have been reading up a lot in the T&T Forums and seem to like the idea of that. The DWs is also appealing to me so will probably try that, only thing is, do you feel you need to retrain players to DW? Have you tried Theo as the advanced forward at all?

Who is your first choice eleven as well?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get myself really comfortable with how I want to play this save. Will hopefully be my main save for FM13 and hoping to have it run for a long time (Have spent the last two days getting my staff and youth system in order and still not there!)

They rotate between the DLP role. Arteta is my first choice this season, but if I choose to rest him and play Coq then Jack becomes the DLP. He's my long term ambition there. I'll also use Ramsey there too, i'm still to decide where best to use him. I've considered training him as a defensive winger.

First 11 is usually. GK - Woj, RB - Sagna, CD - Kos, BPD - Verm, LB - Gibbs, RDW - Walcott, DLP - Arteta, CM - Wilshere, LDW - Cazorla, DLF - Giroud, AF - Podolski.

Backup 11 is now. GK - Sommer, RB - Peruzzi, CD - Mert, BPD - Tomkins, LB - Monreal, RDW - Gnabry, DLP - Ramsey, CM - Coq, LDW - Fischer, DLF - Maupay, AF - Gervinho

As for staff, I let all the coaches go. I found they weren't great for the price I was paying them.

They rotate between the DLP role. Arteta is my first choice this season, but if I choose to rest him and play Coq then Jack becomes the DLP. He's my long term ambition there. I'll also use Ramsey there too, i'm still to decide where best to use him. I've considered training him as a defensive winger.

First 11 is usually. GK - Woj, RB - Sagna, CD - Kos, BPD - Verm, LB - Gibbs, RDW - Walcott, DLP - Arteta, CM - Wilshere, LDW - Cazorla, DLF - Giroud, AF - Podolski.

Backup 11 is now. GK - Sommer, RB - Peruzzi, CD - Mert, BPD - Tomkins, LB - Monreal, RDW - Gnabry, DLP - Ramsey, CM - Coq, LDW - Fischer, DLF - Maupay, AF - Gervinho

As for staff, I let all the coaches go. I found they weren't great for the price I was paying them.

I thought that Steve bould, Liam Brady and a few others looked good, especially the scouts?

I thought that Steve bould, Liam Brady and a few others looked good, especially the scouts?

True, but none of them are technically coaches ;)

Bould stayed as my assistant manager. Brady is set to retire I think as per RL. Some of the scouts are great, once you fight off Man City interest in them.

True, but none of them are technically coaches ;)

Bould stayed as my assistant manager. Brady is set to retire I think as per RL. Some of the scouts are great, once you fight off Man City interest in them.

I had PSG wanting Grimandi and City wanted the Spanish bloke, begins with a C? I spoke to both privately and asked them to stay so they did, happy days.

Wait a second, you signed RVP but wouldn't sign Nasri and Clichy?

Nasri played professionally until the end (best player against Liverpool in the opening game of the season), and was willing to see out his contract, and he never spoke to the media about the situation.

Clichy was forced out in my opinion.

RVP is the traitor, not the other two.

Nasri had agreed a deal in principle in October 2010, but didn't sign it, wanted the greater money City offered. His agent also had a bit of a vendetta against Wenger I think from the Marseille match-fixing days. His subsequent remarks about the club are poor, and put him in traitor category. Van Persie I can understand his reasons, but he still left us for a rival. Clichy was a mutual move in my opinion.

Nasri had agreed a deal in principle in October 2010, but didn't sign it, wanted the greater money City offered. His agent also had a bit of a vendetta against Wenger I think from the Marseille match-fixing days. His subsequent remarks about the club are poor, and put him in traitor category. Van Persie I can understand his reasons, but he still left us for a rival. Clichy was a mutual move in my opinion.

All in all, the 3 players have left and no player should really ever go back in my opinion. If you wanted to leave in the first place then you had a reason to leave and the club had a reason to let you go. Van Persie is the only one of the three above named that has left and could potentially go onto better things. He will be Man Utd's first choice CF for a number of years whereas Clichy and Nasri will eventually be phased out of the City team due to the amount of money they spend each year. Both will end out back in France, probably with PSG, before you know it.

Anyway, back on topic, how is everyone getting on? I have got Newcastle at home next and then Man United away. United only have 2 points from the first two, hoping they can be a few points behind me when I go to OT and then I can really smash their early season apart!

First Season in my save, top of UCL Group with 3 wins, 9 scored, 0 conceded. In the Premier League 4th on 19 points from 10 games, 3 points behind leaders Man City and Tottenham. Capital One Cup into round 4, play Aston Villa next. Cazorla has been excellent so far, scoring 4, assisting 7. Arteta is top scorer with 6 goals, although 4 of those have been penalties.

First Season in my save, top of UCL Group with 3 wins, 9 scored, 0 conceded. In the Premier League 4th on 19 points from 10 games, 3 points behind leaders Man City and Tottenham. Capital One Cup into round 4, play Aston Villa next. Cazorla has been excellent so far, scoring 4, assisting 7. Arteta is top scorer with 6 goals, although 4 of those have been penalties.

Where/how are you playing Cazorla mate? I am considering playing him behind Giroud and seeing how he gets on.

Arsenal-FC11_zps43885b1a.jpg

Season 3 November

Prem; 01/11/14; Emirates; Arsenal 5-0 Swansea: Walcott 12 , Jantscher O/G 47 , Walcott 69 , Dede 73 , Walcott 84

Cl(G.S); 05/11/14; Emirates; Arsenal 4-0 Shakhtar: Balzaretti 1 , Dede 11 , Walcott 67 , Giroud 76

Prem; 08/11/14; Emirates; Arsenal 4-0 Man Utd: Dede 50 , Balzaretti 67 , Giroud 78 , Walcott 89

Prem; 11/11/14; Emirates; Arsenal 3-0 Aston Villa:Giroud 17 , Eduardo 29 , Walcott 67

Prem; 22/11/14; Craven Cottage; Arsenal 2-0 Fulham: Dede 17 , Doria 57

CL(G.S); 25/11/14; Emirates; Arsenal 3-0 M. Haifa: Walcott 6 , Wilshere 9 , Eduardo 82

Prem; 28/11/14; Emirates; Arsenal 5-0 Liverpool: Walcott 12 & 19 , Dede 23 , Giroud 67 , Doria 78

14 games into the league season 41 goals scored & only 2 conceeded!!!!!!!!

Finally completed the 2013/2014 preseason after weeks of really struggling to get into it. The friendly's went fine, including a 2-1aet win over Manchester UNited, with Podolski scoring a banger.

Made numerous signings for the club whilst attempting to get rid of the various dead wood player.

Ins:

Alberto Paloschi - £1.8m

After flirting with the possibility of signing Destro on a bosman or Vela for his release clause, and eventually deciding against it. I signed the next best Italian striker. He was going into his last year of his contract and Milan had transfer listed him for peanuts. I figured with Bendtner and Chamakh leaving the club, we needed another striker.

Sergi Samper - £400k

Was available on the cheap, and not demanding unrealistic wages, I plan for him to be the player Toral will fail to be and hopefully he can emulate Fabregas' success at Arsenal. Although his will have to work him way up the pecking order with Ramsey and Wilshere being top dogs for the future CM spots.

Vurnon Anita ( Don Cheadle ;) - £13.25m

The first big signing I've made on this years game. After dispatching Frimpong out on loan to Aston Villa we were quite light in the Anchor Man role. I deliberated over signing other defensive midfielders including Capoue and Mavuba. But since I fancied a player I've heard less about on these forums, the Newcastle man was signed.

Pablo Zabaleta -£6m

A very unusual Arsenal signing. At 28 and on 78k p/w for the next 5 years, the Argentine could prove to be a risk. But at the price and after scouting around for a younger player I decided to sign Pablo and allow Jenkinson to develop into Saga's successor over the next few seasons.

Scott Sinclair - Loan (5 Months)

The second Manchester City player to join the club this season, Scott will provide cover for Podolski whilst Chamberlain is out on loan.

Rafina (Barcelona) - £575k

The young Brazilian striker will provide cover upfront whilst hopefully developing into a solid player.

Angelo Ogbonna - £5.5m

Following Djourou's sale to Newcastle for £4.9m, I felt we needed a new 4th choice defender as I didn't feel Miquel was quite ready for such a duty. A little steep for a 4th choice, but hopefully he can challenge the other center backs for a first team slot.

Simone Pepe - Loan (5 months)

The experienced Italian winger will provide cover for the wide positions for the inevitable injury crisis. And will return to Juventus when Ox and a number of other youngsters return from their respective loans.

Total Expenditure: £30m

Total Income: £32m

A neat £2m earned. :)

Outs:

Denilson - Udinese - £4.3m

Bendtner - Fulham - £7.5m

Sagna - Valencia - £13m

Djourou - Newcastle - £4.9m

Rosicky - Udinese - £2.3m

Notable Loans Out:

Adryan - FC Lorient

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Everton

Frimpong - Aston Villa

Gnabry - Wolfsburg

Jano - Bolton

Park - Sporting (120k p/m)

Chamakh - Reading

Diaby - Udinese

Really struggled to dump the dead wood especially with Udinese forming an ex-arsenal players association.

The Premier League opened with a series of very tough games, a few stinker of fixtures

20kwuas.jpg

The City defeat was rather routine as we dealt with there narrow 4-2-3-1, but had no answer to their secondary 3-4-1-2 which overwelmed us and contributed to a poor defeat. The Everton performance was superb, but losing at Newcastle was rough, Tiote and Sissoko were like Xavi and Iniesta and they dominted possesion against Wishere and Ramsey.

The Champions League group stage should be very routine with being drawn with:

Ajax

Spartak Moscow

Steaua

So this is not going to well.....:rolleyes:

After beating QPR on the opening day and the 0-0 away to Fulham, I then beat Newcastle 2-0 at home and was very comfortable. A 2-2 draw against Man Utd away which on paper is a very good result, however, I got absolutely murdered for the whole game, somehow got myself 2-0 up with Giroud scoring twice. RVP (85 mins) and a og from Thomas Vermaelen in the 88min was a disaster. We then lost 1-0 at home to Basel in the Champions League which was frankly shocking as we only had two shots on target all game! A 0-0 draw at home to Villa in the league meant we now only have 2 wins from 5 although we are still unbeaten.

Next games are Cardiff at home (league cup), Everton away and then Olympiakos away in the CL.

My biggest problem is that every player I have with an ounce of creativity is injured. Whilshire, Arteta, Cazzorla, Podolski, Walcott and Chamberlain!

Finally completed the 2013/2014 preseason after weeks of really struggling to get into it. The friendly's went fine, including a 2-1aet win over Manchester UNited, with Podolski scoring a banger.

Made numerous signings for the club whilst attempting to get rid of the various dead wood player.

Ins:

Alberto Paloschi - £1.8m

After flirting with the possibility of signing Destro on a bosman or Vela for his release clause, and eventually deciding against it. I signed the next best Italian striker. He was going into his last year of his contract and Milan had transfer listed him for peanuts. I figured with Bendtner and Chamakh leaving the club, we needed another striker.

Sergi Samper - £400k

Was available on the cheap, and not demanding unrealistic wages, I plan for him to be the player Toral will fail to be and hopefully he can emulate Fabregas' success at Arsenal. Although his will have to work him way up the pecking order with Ramsey and Wilshere being top dogs for the future CM spots.

Vurnon Anita ( Don Cheadle ;) - £13.25m

The first big signing I've made on this years game. After dispatching Frimpong out on loan to Aston Villa we were quite light in the Anchor Man role. I deliberated over signing other defensive midfielders including Capoue and Mavuba. But since I fancied a player I've heard less about on these forums, the Newcastle man was signed.

Pablo Zabaleta -£6m

A very unusual Arsenal signing. At 28 and on 78k p/w for the next 5 years, the Argentine could prove to be a risk. But at the price and after scouting around for a younger player I decided to sign Pablo and allow Jenkinson to develop into Saga's successor over the next few seasons.

Scott Sinclair - Loan (5 Months)

The second Manchester City player to join the club this season, Scott will provide cover for Podolski whilst Chamberlain is out on loan.

Rafina (Barcelona) - £575k

The young Brazilian striker will provide cover upfront whilst hopefully developing into a solid player.

Angelo Ogbonna - £5.5m

Following Djourou's sale to Newcastle for £4.9m, I felt we needed a new 4th choice defender as I didn't feel Miquel was quite ready for such a duty. A little steep for a 4th choice, but hopefully he can challenge the other center backs for a first team slot.

Simone Pepe - Loan (5 months)

The experienced Italian winger will provide cover for the wide positions for the inevitable injury crisis. And will return to Juventus when Ox and a number of other youngsters return from their respective loans.

Total Expenditure: £30m

Total Income: £32m

A neat £2m earned. :)

Outs:

Denilson - Udinese - £4.3m

Bendtner - Fulham - £7.5m

Sagna - Valencia - £13m

Djourou - Newcastle - £4.9m

Rosicky - Udinese - £2.3m

Notable Loans Out:

Adryan - FC Lorient

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Everton

Frimpong - Aston Villa

Gnabry - Wolfsburg

Jano - Bolton

Park - Sporting (120k p/m)

Chamakh - Reading

Diaby - Udinese

Really struggled to dump the dead wood especially with Udinese forming an ex-arsenal players association.

The Premier League opened with a series of very tough games, a few stinker of fixtures

20kwuas.jpg

The City defeat was rather routine as we dealt with there narrow 4-2-3-1, but had no answer to their secondary 3-4-1-2 which overwelmed us and contributed to a poor defeat. The Everton performance was superb, but losing at Newcastle was rough, Tiote and Sissoko were like Xavi and Iniesta and they dominted possesion against Wishere and Ramsey.

The Champions League group stage should be very routine with being drawn with:

Ajax

Spartak Moscow

Steaua

This is am interested in, Zabeleta and Sinclair, effectively City rejects but then they are normally still quality players, what is your starting 11 at the moment? Do you not need that Zabeleta will stop Jenkinson progressing as much as he could of?

afcintroduction.png

The extended, 6-month update. From pre-season to December - here's how my seasons gone so far!

TACTICS & FORMATIONS;

As ever, I've gone about making my own tactics. I decided upon two formations: a 4-3-3 and a staggered, rather unorthodox looking 4-2-3-1. Pre-season offered a good platform to test and tweak my tactics, but as of now, I'm still making minor changes to various aspects of my tactics.

afc433.pngafc4231.png

This has been my regular first-team, from left-to-right, so far this season: Sczęsny; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs; Arteta, Cazorla, Wilshere; Walcott, Giroud, Podolski | My tactics have been somewhat inconsistent throughout the campaign. A dominant, free-flowing performance was often followed up by a dull, error-strewn outing from my side - although, the players must take some responsibility. My ultimate aim is to create an exciting, possession-based 'Wengerball' type of tactic. I've gone some way to achieving it, but there's plenty of room to improve...

NB: I'm not going to compile detailed reviews of every game. I'll resume regular monthly updates shortly.

PRE-SEASON;

afcpreseason.png

A decent pre-season. Few niggling injuries which had the potential to disrupt the start of my season, but nothing too worrying. As ever with my saves, I disabled first transfer window budgets. Makes the initial months a bit more realistic.

AUGUST & SEPTEMBER;

afcaugustseptember.png

Lovely start to what will be a strenuous, up-and-down season. That win up at The Etihad is, of course, the standout result. We were helped by a brash Maicon sending off, but it doesn't detract from the win. More of the same, please.

OCTOBER;

afcoctober.png

Yet another good month, despite the disappointing culmination at Old Trafford. Good UEFA Champions League wins, against SL Benfica and Montpellier Hérault SC, put us in a pleasing position in our group, while a late Lukas Podolski winner capped a good performance against Sam Allardyce's West Ham side.

NOVEMBER;

afcnovember.png

Our unbeaten Barclays Premier League run - and subsequently our tenure at the top - came to a premature end. We came back down to earth with a bump. Disappointing performance lead to annoying defeats, most notably against Everton and Sp*rs. We continued our good UEFA Champions League form, though, as we clinched the double against Montpellier Hérault SC and FC København.

DECEMBER;

afcdecember.png

Not a bad month, but it could've been much better. Olivier Giroud proved his worth yet again with an impressive 6-goals. That West Brom game was infuriating, while a jaded side against Newcastle failed to take all three, much-needed, points. We lie 4th in the Barclays Premier League table.

CUP COMPETITIONS;

Barclays Premier League table;

barclayspremierleagueja.png

UEFA Champions League: Winning all 6 games, we qualified as winners of Group F. Montpellier Hérault SC also managed to scrape through. We've now been drawn against Greek outfit Olympiacos in the last-16.

FA Cup: We were drawn against Gianfranco Zola's high-flying Watford - not for the first time, too. We met them in the Capital One Cup 3rd round, winning 3-0. If we repeat the same feat, we will meet Wigan Athletic in the 4th round.

Capital One Cup: As mentioned previously, we breezed past Watford. Sadly, we were knocked out after a disappointing loss to an almost full strength Manchester United side. Serge Gnabry and Thomas Eisfeld both made their first-class professional débuts in the competition.

MY TOP 3 GUNNERS OF THE SEASON - SO FAR;

1st Per Mertesacker: The BFG has been a revelation, so far, this season. Tall, commanding, intelligent, composed - Per has everything needed to be a fine Arsenal centre-half, and he's certainly proved that this season. Achieving the outstanding tallies of 14 key tackles and 184 interceptions, the highest figure in the Barclays Premier League, Per has prevented many dangerous situation. The perfect foil to the more elegant Laurent Koscielny, the 28-year-old German was voted among the FIFpro World XI of the Year. Rightly so.

2nd Mikel Arteta: Despite being club vice-captain, Mikel Arteta has donned the armband more times than Thomas Vermaelen this season - largely due to his consistently impressive performances. Deployed as a holding midfielder with the licence to pass, Mikel has kept my Arsenal team ticking all season long. Making a total of 1,697 passes in 25 appearances, the former Evertonian has been a pivotal figure in my midfield. Grácias, Mikel!

3rd Olivier Giroud: Replacing the 30 goal a season Robin van Persie, the burly Frenchman has always had his work cut out. Despite that, he's made a good fight of replacing van Perise, scoring a total of 14 goals in 23 appearances. His all-round game is exceptional; so much so, he's established himself as a Les Bleus regular alongside Karim Benzema. I'm already delighted with his form, but I'm fully expectant of Olivier providing that little bit more. Allez, Olivier!

Notable Mentions: To begin, Lukas Podolski has enjoyed a fine debut season. 10 goals scored, he's certainly helped in terms of replacing van Persie. Jack Wilshere also deserves a mention, as do Laurent Koscielny and Bacary Sagna. The long-term Gooners have been regulars in my Arsenal side all season and certaily deserve any praise they get.

injurylist112013.png

It's no surprise that both Tomáš Rosický and Abou Diaby are on the injury list, but both have enjoyed fine seasons when they've been on the pitch. Annoyingly, Rosický has put in some masterful displays only to be held back by injury. Already this season, he's been out for almost 4-months with a torn hamstring and a twisted ankle. As for Abou Diaby, his impressive performances have been interspersed by injuries, too. Aaron Ramsey's calf muscle is slightly more worrying. Hopefully, it won't have any lasting effects upon his return.

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW PLANS;

That last injury update brings me on nicely to the January transfer window. Any wholesale changes will be delayed until the Summer, but I am looking to dip my toes into the luke warm January market. Two positions which I am looking to strengthen: central midfield, to compensate for injuries, and at centre-half. I am scouting various options - notably Olympique Lyonnais' Maxime Gonalons and Gianelli Imbula, of Avant de Guingamp - and will act accordingly. I doubt there'll be much movement.

I have clinched one signing, though: 19-year-old AJ Auxerre striker, Yaya Sanogo! He'll be joining in the Summer of 2013 on a free transfer. The French Under-21 international has impressed this season, scoring 13 goals in 19 appearances for the Ligue 2 side. He's certainly a talent - one which I'm sure many of you know of.

As for outgoings, Andrey Arshavin has agreed a pre-contract at CSKA Moscow, curtailing his disappointing Arsenal career. If I can find a suitable fourth choice centre-half, I'll look to move Sébastien Squillaci on.

That concludes my big, boring 6-month update. I hope you all enjoyed it. Hopefully, I'll resume compiling more regular monthly updates soon...

afcintroduction.png

The extended, 6-month update. From pre-season to December - here's how my seasons gone so far!

PRE-SEASON;

NB: I'm not going to compile detailed reviews of every game. I've played nigh-on 40 games. Sorry.

afcpreseason.png

A decent pre-season. Few niggling injuries which had the potential to disrupt the start of my season, but nothing too worrying. As ever with my saves, I disabled first transfer window budgets. Makes the initial months a bit more realistic.

AUGUST & SEPTEMBER;

afcaugustseptember.png

Lovely start to what will be a strenuous, up-and-down season. That win up at The Etihad is, of course, the standout result. We were helped by a brash Maicon sending off, but it doesn't detract from the win. More of the same, please.

OCTOBER;

afcoctober.png

Yet another good month, despite the disappointing culmination at Old Trafford. Good UEFA Champions League wins, against SL Benfica and Montpellier Hérault SC, put us in a pleasing position in our group, while a late Lukas Podolski winner capped a good performance against Sam Allardyce's West Ham side.

NOVEMBER;

afcnovember.png

Our unbeaten Barclays Premier League run - and subsequently our tenure at the top - came to a premature end. We cam back down to earth with a bump. Disappointing performance lead to annoying defeats, most notably against Everton and Sp*rs. We continued our good UEFA Champions League form, though, as we clinched the double against Montpellier Hérault SC and FC København.

DECEMBER;

afcdecember.png

Not a bad month, but it could've been much better. Olivier Giroud proved his worth yet again with an impressive 6-goals. That West Brom game was infuriating, while a jaded side against Newcastle failed to take all three, much-needed, points. We lie 4th in the Barclays Premier League table.

CUP COMPETITIONS;

Barclays Premier League;

barclayspremierleagueja.png

UEFA Champions League: Winning all 6 games, we qualified as winners of Group F. Montpellier Hérault SC also managed to scrape through. We've now been drawn against Greek outfit Olympiacos in the last-16.

FA Cup: We were drawn against Gianfranco Zola's high-flying Watford - not for the first time, too. We met them in the Capital One Cup 3rd round, winning 3-0. If we repeat the same feat, we will meet Wigan Athletic in the 4th round.

Capital One Cup: As mentioned previously, we breezed past Watford. Sadly, we were knocked out after a disappointing loss to an almost full strength Manchester United side. Serge Gnabry and Thomas Eisfeld both made their first-class professional débuts in the competition.

Got a driving lesson now, so a few snippets more to follow later on today

Nice update mate,

You are doing well, in particular in the champions league. If you dispatch of Olympaikos and get a nice draw in the Quarter Finals then who knows how far you can go. Your league form is good, if you think about it if it wasn't for that defeat to West Brom at home in December you could be joint top. Obviously you haven't had a mid season blip yet which no doubt will happen at some point, but if you can keep nicking wins you can hopefully cling onto United and City and not let those two go clear at the top, like they do on so many of my previous games.

How did Eisfield do for you? I noticed he has quite good stats but I let him leave to Leicester for 200k - do have a buy back clause though.

Can I ask what your formation is and how you have got Walcott/Podolski doing so well? I can't get either of them performing just yet.

Cheers

For anyone interested, I've added to my initial update. Hope you all enjoy reading it.

Nice update mate,

You are doing well, in particular in the champions league. If you dispatch of Olympaikos and get a nice draw in the Quarter Finals then who knows how far you can go. Your league form is good, if you think about it if it wasn't for that defeat to West Brom at home in December you could be joint top. Obviously you haven't had a mid season blip yet which no doubt will happen at some point, but if you can keep nicking wins you can hopefully cling onto United and City and not let those two go clear at the top, like they do on so many of my previous games.

How did Eisfield do for you? I noticed he has quite good stats but I let him leave to Leicester for 200k - do have a buy back clause though. Can I ask what your formation is and how you have got Walcott/Podolski doing so well? I can't get either of them performing just yet.

Cheers

Thanks. I am doing well in the UEFA Champions League. I was somewhat surprised by how poor SL Benfica were. Usually, they're a force to be reckoned with in Europe. I doubt I have the ability, or squad, to challenge for the title this season. My objective is to clinch 3rd place. I'm confident of doing so.

As for Thomas Eisfeld, he came on as a substitute in that Capital One Cup match and performed well. There are more talented prospects - like Serge Gnabry, Kristoffer Olsson and Jon Toral - coming up, but I feel like Eisfeld deserves a chance.

Llew_Arshavin23,

Fantastic update man. I too would like to know how you are setting up tactically.

Cheers, Mark! If you want to see my tactical set-up, refer back to my initial post. I've added a tactical section at the top.

This run of games I am in is ridiculous

97bc26667d024e4820dd08416c93e62c.png

Will do a end of first season update when I finish, currently 3rd in the league.

I hate when the big games cluster like this. You'll pass through this with flying colors :) and then get turned over by QPR or an equivalent club. I just beat Chelsea 3-1. managed to keep Hazard quite for once, but a legion of Lionel Messi's are no match for the likes of Shane Long, Muumbu, Olsonn and Chris Brint :mad:

For anyone interested again, I've added to my update. I've discussed my January transfer window plans and given a brief update on injured players :thup:

Great update. Have a look at James Tomkins and Jack Cork for your troubled positions. Both players I cannot recommend highly enough. Count to homegrown too.

Season Update 2012-13

Up to mid-January. Had an excellent run so far. Top of the league with 53 points, 6 clear of 2nd place Spurs. Just achieved a monstrous demolition of Man City at the Emirates: 6-1.

arsenal61mancity.jpg

My league results overall:

premresults.jpg

Qualified 2nd in my UCl Group, and avoided Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

uclresults.jpg

Knocked out of the Capital One Cup with a very disappointing defeat at home to Aston Villa. Got revenge however...

cocresults.jpg

...by knocking them out of the FA Cup in Round 3. Face Man City in round 4.

facresults.jpg

Finally my wonderfully solid tactics and preferred XI:

tacticst.jpg

Stats:

• Top Scorers - Olivier Giroud (21), Lukas Podolski (10), Mikel Arteta (7)
  • Top Assisters - Podolski (9), Oxlade-Chamberlain & Cazorla (8)
  • Top Passers - Mikel Arteta (89%), Kieran Gibbs (87%), Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey & Wojciech Szczesny (86%)
  • Top Tacklers - Nacho Monreal (6.89), Abou Diaby (6.66), Francis Coquelin (5.92)

my team is doing well, both city and us have won all games, i have just played one more, so i have 15 points and they have 12

falcao has been a beast while neymar is floundering at a poor utd side whoa re playing him aml randomly

my trident of strikers has been devestating, especially falcao! has 8 goals in 8 and cavani has 5, suarez just the one and theo who gets a few games has 1 or 2

i had to fine nainggolan after 2 red cards and he accepted it and seems less mental lol i am also trying to get more games for cazorla and chamberlain too with different formations away from home and in cup games....btw, retrain vermaelen as a dm! perfect stats and wins every aerial ball! makes buying a dm redundant as coq is adequate too!

.........cavani (dlf/a)....falcao (p).....suarez (dlf/s)

................jw (dlp/s)....nain (bwm/d)

........................vermaelen (am/d)

gibbs (wb/s)......smalling (cd/d..kos (cd/c).....corchia (wb/s)

....................................chez (gk/d)

i have to say, smalling has been excellent, i didn't want shawcross after what he did to ramsey but wanted english players and utd were selling him, turns out he is consistently good although he has scored a couple of og's!

Archived