The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah lets laugh because someone wants our best winger for a paltry £20m. All these people wanting Nani sold are going to be in for a shock if we do make that mistake. Young is average, Valencia is atrocious & Zaha is completely unproven.

If we were to sell him we wouldn't get what he is truly worth & it wouldn't be enough to effectively replace him. So he's stuck with us or we're stuck with him (depending on how you view it) hopefully.

Plus even with his frustrating season he still managed to have a better season than any of our other wide players which tells you everything you need to know.

Yeah, the contact sitch does complicate matters. I suppose a lot depends on Moyes' take and whether us lowballing him (by all accounts) to date is part of the negotiation strategy or just looking to force him out.

Any suggestions who?

Antoine Griezmann of Real Sociedad. Big fan of his, plays down the left, but can play through the middle and right if needed. Not as tricy and as blisteringly quick as Nani, but a more intelligent kind of winger, beats players with his passing almost as much as his running, perhaps more so.

So somebody put a 500 bet on it or something. Big deal. Could just be a publicity stunt to get people noticing whichever of the 2000 betting companies this was, to hopefully keep people giving away (sorry, betting) money in the off-season too.

Would be excellent if we buy him of course, but let's wait till the bear is shot before we sell off the meat and fur.

I'm not anti-everything, I'm just trying to look a bit behind the headlines. That rarely hurts. There are usually these stories every summer about odds slashed -> player must be bound to club x, and they rarely happen that way. It usually just means a decent bet was put in.

Your comment was very anti-betting. Same tone you use when you talk about twitter.

I'm well aware of what it means, which is why I said nothing else in the post. I just reported a fact.

For info. it's Sky Bet.

It wasn't academic when he moved to Real and had the pick of Europe's best players at his disposable. They stand a better chance of success with him there but there is still plenty of work to be done at Chelsea. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

You might have a point if we sign Messi and Iniesta, he'll only win it once in the next 3 years then. The guy wins titles and he'll continue to win them because he's one of the all time great managers with a truck load of money, we don't have Barcelona's luxary of having one of the best players of all time in our ranks at his peak to prevent it.

We really shouldn't underestimate the potential in the current Chelsea team. They're a central defender and striker away from being great. Hopefully Moyes hits the ground running though, because I expect Chelsea to do so. They will make some top tier signings too. They will be title challengers next season, of that I'm quite sure. I just hope we are too and that the Moyes transition goes well. We also have to expect City to be more consistent next season. Could be the most open title race in a long while, with three clubs fully capable of winning it.

If we lose Nani and Rooney, that's obviously not good for us. But let's hope they both stay, or we manage to replace them if they go.

He doesn't have a luxury of one of the best players of all time in Ronaldo to play with in England either or one of the best playmakers in Europe in Alonso. The squad he had last time with Chelsea was far better than the current. I firmly believe they will be the team to beat going forward but right here and now the Chelsea squad is as far away from ours as Real's was to Barca, if not more.

Man for man Barcelona were at lot stronger than Real when Mourinho took over and they were far better as a unit, what he did there in two years domestically was remarkable. You've only got to see how well Chelsea can play when they get their act together to see that the gap in quality isn't very big at all, that trio is going to be ridiculous even with a difficult second season for Hazard and Oscar due.

We've lost a great manager who knows how to win titles and they've gained one. Moyes might not prove as inept at the top level as Benitez was last season but there is no way in hell he'll get the same out of the squad Ferguson did over the course of a full season but you can bet Mourinho damn well will at Chelsea. One 20 goal a season striker (even worse if it's Rooney because they won't pay as much as PSG) and they go massive favourites for the title and it's virtually inevitable they'll get one.

We'll see just how little Chelsea care about FFP in a few months time but given they've just spent £20m on a player in the position they're already unbelievably strong in I can't see it holding Mourinho back. Even if they are concerned they're a Gazprom sponsorship away from breaking even when they like.

He will win the title with Chelsea at least once in the next couple of years, it's inevitable. I'm sure the people who appointed Moyes were aware of that and are happy to "see him off" with the stability Moyes offers, not necessarily a bad strategy but it'll be an awkward reality for some to accept.

We have released 8 players now. Lets hope it's a sign of the belief the coaches have in the U18 players and they wanted to make room for the ones who are now moving up to the reserves. Makes sense to me.

Would love to have Ronaldo back, but I think the chances of that happening were drastically reduced when Sir Alex retired as Ronaldo has always said he has been like a second father to him. Due to the massive amount of money that has to be involved, Ronaldo's contract lasting another 2 years, and Real's need to keep him to be able to compete with Barcelona, I find it very difficult to believe he is coming back. Perhaps naively, I genuinely believe he won't go to another club in England than United, so that reduced the amount of clubs who can afford him quite a bit. It's not impossible, but very hard. It's probably more likely than Bale though, I can't see that happening at all. If he leaves, it will be abroad, probably Real Madrid.

Therefore, the best we can hope for is we ***** a ton on Ronaldo, while Real bring Bale to replace him (being very generous to Bale there). But as we all know, we need reinforcements centrally. If we are to afford Ronaldo, it has to mean people out, most likely Nani and probably Rooney too. If it's true Moyes has 60 million to spend, that won't be enough for Ronaldo, and we desperately need a player who can walk in and play next to Carrick regularly. That is going to cost at least 20 million.

Some very tough choices will have to be made, but if we bring back Ronaldo it has to mean Nani and Rooney out to help finance it, and will we be able to bring in a central midfielder then? Wild speculation here of course (I should be a churnalist :D), but if we assume the rumour of 60m available is correct and we get 20+30m for Nani and Rooney (both worth more, but I have a bad feeling we'll get boned on their prices given both their situations), that is 110 million for Ronaldo plus a central midfielder. Not impossible I suppose, but we will have to pay out the arse to get back Ronaldo. Given his record for Real Madrid it's hard to make the case he is less worth today than the 80 million we got for him, despite his age.

That would be a game changer. I'm just going to refuse to believe anything about it until it actually happens though for my own sanity.

It's the only way I'll be able to make it through the summer in all honesty. Can't afford to get my hopes up about anything at this point :D

Veseli and McCullough also released. Lacking CB options in the U21s next year

Hopefully Keane will be retained and given an opportunity. Any idea what the age cut-off for the UEFA Youth League is? Keane was 19 at the turn of the year.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/ronaldo-s-agreement-in-principle-to-join-manchester-united-house-

I hate this source normally but this would be dreamy if true. I would be more likely to trust the snippet in there from Andy Mitten's UWS though.

Yeah, the Guttersnipe is often pretty reliable...

We spent just over £50m before the 11/12 season.

But was it £60m? :brock:

I get the feeling it is either going to be a really busy window for us or a really quiet one. More so the latter than the former.

Archived