The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

Fletcher is out for the season after surgery on his ulcerative collitis. Although hopefully it is a measure that will add length to his career rather than taking it away.

Think it's curtains for him tbh - it'll be another 6 months out. I hope not but think the writing's on the wall for him, what a shame of a player who got better and better and more missed when he wasn't playing.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it cures the problem there's no reason he can't come back, I doubt anyone but his doctors know how likely the surgery is as a cure.

If it's surgery - he's having all or parts of his large intestine removed. How he could remain a professional footballer like that I'm not at all sure?

With regards to Valencia in the last few matches, he hasn't really been sprinting as fast as I think he can. As if he's holding back, possibly carrying an injury?

At least that's what I've been pencilling his poor performances to.

Didn't someone say he's got a bad back? Would explain a lot - he was very reluctant to attack yesterday.

Darren Fletcher will be unavailable for the remainder of this season having undergone surgery to resolve his Ulcerative Colitis condition.

We wish to stress this was a planned procedure undertaken at the optimal time having achieved a period of sustained good general health, as illustrated by the fact that Darren has trained with the team regularly this season and been available for selection right up to the operation.

Whilst it is frustrating for both Darren and the Club that he won’t be able to contribute further during this campaign, this decision has been taken with our full support in the best interests of his long-term health and we look forward to him returning next season with this problem firmly behind him.

Promising words if true, although they could just be jazzing a bad situation up to protect his privacy again.

Didn't someone say he's got a bad back? Would explain a lot - he was very reluctant to attack yesterday.

I seem to remember that too, but wasn't sure. A bad back would explain a lot, and not much you can do other than a few weeks off, which he probably can't really be given during the season, especially having just gone through the festive period. Bad back really would hamper your sprinting.

If it's surgery - he's having all or parts of his large intestine removed. How he could remain a professional footballer like that I'm not at all sure?

Had the condition myself and surgery ended up as the only option so feel i can give some context. IIRC then there is only one sort of operation that can be done and it requires the removal of the large intestine entirely. Without going into too much detail (for obvious reasons) the surgery does cure the condition in the same way chopping off a leg cures a break. He will be rid of the chronic condition and its symptons, but as far as im concerned playing professional sport would be a big ask.

Also im sure hes getting the best doctors money can buy, but i was told categorically that its at least 2 operations with a good few months between to allow healing and the surgeons prefer to spread it over 3 as the is some serious internal reconfiguring required and not allowing sufficient time between them substantially decreases it the likelyhood of success.

Speaking from personal experience i had 3 operations over 20 months (I was back at work for a year between 1 and 2). After the first one i left with a bag on my stomach which would obviously not be suited to any contact sport. Many people live with that. But there is an internal option that i had which required a further 2 ops and while im perfectly able to live my life, go to work, stay with friends, go on holiday etc im not sure Fletcher at his stage of his career will be able to get back to playing. For a start he will lose a heck of a lot of weight and general fitness from the surgery.

There is no reason he couldn't do coaching or media work, but he'd be a better man than me if he managed to play professionally again!!

I think with the time he's had out, another long break and an operation would be tough to return to the very top level of performance with his kind of condition and that's before reading the post above, which makes it seem even less likely.

How many games has he played since he's been 'back' anyway?

Is this also the condition that Rugby player Lewis (think it's Lewis) Moody of England had too?

There is a very, very big difference between 'all' and 'part'.

I had a significant part of my intestine removed and was inches away from a Colostomy bag. Was back training within 2 months but I have never been the same, so if I can feel the difference at my reduced level of activity, you can only wonder the effect on a professional sportsman.

Had the condition myself and surgery ended up as the only option so feel i can give some context. IIRC then there is only one sort of operation that can be done and it requires the removal of the large intestine entirely. Without going into too much detail (for obvious reasons) the surgery does cure the condition in the same way chopping off a leg cures a break. He will be rid of the chronic condition and its symptons, but as far as im concerned playing professional sport would be a big ask.

Also im sure hes getting the best doctors money can buy, but i was told categorically that its at least 2 operations with a good few months between to allow healing and the surgeons prefer to spread it over 3 as the is some serious internal reconfiguring required and not allowing sufficient time between them substantially decreases it the likelyhood of success.

Speaking from personal experience i had 3 operations over 20 months (I was back at work for a year between 1 and 2). After the first one i left with a bag on my stomach which would obviously not be suited to any contact sport. Many people live with that. But there is an internal option that i had which required a further 2 ops and while im perfectly able to live my life, go to work, stay with friends, go on holiday etc im not sure Fletcher at his stage of his career will be able to get back to playing. For a start he will lose a heck of a lot of weight and general fitness from the surgery.

There is no reason he couldn't do coaching or media work, but he'd be a better man than me if he managed to play professionally again!!

So sad, only days ago since I speculated he's had a setback because we haven't seen him near the team for a while :(

This post fits very well with what I've read about the illness before, which is why I thought it was unlikely he could ever perform at the top level again, at least consistently. I don't know if he's already had one operation and this is now the second, and thus he's been okay-ish in the meantime, but it's huge procedure. If he can come back and play professional football again it would be fantastic, but I don't have too high hopes, unfortunately.

The whole thing is so unfortunate for him. Was a fantastic player for us, energetic and with great drive, and the only one in our current team that is good at breaking up play. Really, really hope we see him back, but this is seriously bad news for him, and I think the club is taking a positive spin in the quote above to try to protect him, and of course give him a hope he can actually make it back. That is important too. He has to have something to look forward to in the tough months ahead.

You've apparently got Schlupp on trial from us (Leicester). Only fair I guess considering how our promotion-chasing squad is full of ex-Man U youth!

Oi! Not ALL are EX-United youths ;) Have heard Michael Keane are doing very well there, which is great news. Very talented player and I hope he can break into our team somehow. A promotion-chasing season now will teach him a lot, and hopefully all goes well, and then he'll either have a loan spell with your lot in the PL next season, or in another PL team. Or possibly another season in the Championship first.

Shouldn't Will Keane be back right about now btw? Maybe still a month or two away= Have heard so little about his progress, but I desperately hope he can come back from the serious knee injury without having lost too much. Was a great prospect up front - although it must seem nigh on impossible to break through for us there right now.

The whole thing is so unfortunate for him. Was a fantastic player for us, energetic and with great drive, and the only one in our current team that is good at breaking up play.

In the presser Fergie said he's looking to convert him into a holding midfielder, as he's been playing (and playing well) as this season. Which we do need tbf, though it now(!) means we need a destroyer given how increasingly unlikely it seems that Tunnerz will make it with us.

Yeah, not a chance they're beating us at OT and WHL in successive games (antijinx to be turned on sometime Saturday evening).

A day early, but I've now decided that they will beat us since they deserve something for our criminal win there last season. DOOOOOM.

With Victor Valdes confirming that he wants to leave Barca at the end of the season and with De Gea apparently as one of Barca's preferred replacements, how would people feel if De Gea went to Barca in the summer?

I was a big fan of his before he joined and have always stuck up for him when others have criticised but I'm slowly starting to lose faith and patience with him.

I'll be bloody well upset if he leaves! All the available good goalies have moved house too now, so it's not like we can go about picking up Neuer or somebody else of that class. I'm hoping de Gea will stay here for years and years. He's got matchwinning qualities in him, that's for sure.

Anyone else nervous ahead of Spurs? I know we have a good record there, but this Spurs team is a different beast. Not confident at all, and worry they will double us :(

If Valdes leaves then there's no doubt in my mind Barca will want De Gea more than anyone else for three reasons - Spanish, young and fits into their style with his distribution/technical ability. I really like him, he could easily be the best in the world. I don't think anyone could blame him if he wanted the move either, going to the biggest club in the world, back to a native language/culture and he'd be number 1 without fear of being dropped for Pinto. Only plus for us is that he'd demand a huge fee, maybe record breaking for a goalkeeper.

Of course not but who does have the same potential as De Gea? Replacing De Gea is damage limitation. Handanovic would be the best option being only 28 and better than De Gea is now.

Better for another year or two. I wasn't saying anything about what we should do if De Gea leaves. I was saying we can't let him leave. No way, no how

Some people need to stop listening to the media and actually form their own opinion on a player.

There is no way we are letting him go unless we get a ridiculous offer as we did with Ronaldo. We spent a lot of time and effort making sure we didn't end up in the situation as when Schmeichel left. We are not going to simply let all of that swan off to Barca after two seasons. Especially when he's not even had a chance to play behind a settled and experienced defence yet in his two seasons here.

Lindegaard being the definition of an average keeper means we would have to sign a new #1 which would annoy Lindegaard and probably need us to look for a new backup keeper too.

DDG is rapidly becoming a world-class goalkeeper who can achieve everything if he stays with us, there is no reason (other than homesickness) which could make him move. Unless Barca want to swap Messi for him, they can stick an interest in him...

I was a doubter at first about him but he's got stronger and has quickly learnt. His shot-stopping is up there with the best - he is very young for a first-choice goalkeeper at Utd and will improve further given time. He's been one of our most consistent players this season in a dreadful defence - how many goals have been directly down to his mistakes this season compared to last? I look forward to 15 years (at least) of top goalkeeping from him.

Pogba is such a quality player. He made the choice to go Juventus and is playing well there and getting a lot of games. However I think he would be as good at United as well if he stayed. Must really itch United staff and fans to realise how good he is and how much he is going to improve. Just bosses the game and still only 19 :eek:

Yeah we messed up with Pogba, but he should maybe have been a little more patient.

We could've gave Pogba a space on the bench for 6 months, but instead we brought an average Scholes of out retirement. :thup:

Pogba wanted to play 1st team football - SAF had plenty of chances to bring him on when games were sewn up last season. As has been said, other players came on instead, SAF obviously didn't rate him highly enough. It's rare a player leaves Utd and makes it big, I can think of a handful only. On the other hand - where's Morrison this season?

I'm not going to lie, it really hurts to see Pogba do so well and think we got nothing for him, and that he could have been central to OUR midfield now. Anybody could see he was a brilliant talent, and I don't understand why he wasn't given more chances last season. Obviously he has grown a lot since then, and I think had he stayed he would have played more this season (but probably not as much as for Juve tbh). I really want to blame Pogba and call him a moneygrabbing twunt, as it's easier to do than blame the club and manager I love, but it just wouldn't be right. SAF simply got this one wrong, and it has cost us an awful lot. Imagine what buying a player like that would cost, and the problems we would not have in midfield had he stayed. Easily worth 20 million I reckon, being that young and dominating games for the best team in Italy. Could have gotten 15 years out of him.... :(

@RSB,

if that is how LITTLE snow that has come down, there shouldn't even be a question about whether this game goes ahead. It's not even white ffs! The road picture could lie as it tends to smelt easier in those places, but considering there is nothing in the stadium either, this has to be a non-issue. If we were talking about 10+ cm of snow, okay, then I can see the problem, at least in a country so unused to snow as the UK. But when we can't even see it in the stadium??

Archived