What's that? A new Wishlist Thread? What you would like to see in future FM versions.

While I understand why saves are incompatible with future versions, I always wondered if there would not be a way if one really wanted to find one.

Let me try to explain:

My understanding of the content of a savegame is, that all data which are in the initial db and then evolved over the course of a save, including retirements and regens and league standings and histories are what a savegame file stores.

Then obviously over different versions there may be changes in the data categories which are researched. Some data may be dropped, other data may be added. If data is added that was not researched before then obviously one would have a problem to deal with. If data is dropped then that should be less of an issue. A third problem may be if data is changing in meaning or interpretation (like the jumping attribute being understood either relative to a player's height or only in relation to his general ability to win headers which makes height part of the attribute).

Then there is also rule changes in competitions.

I think that most essential data actually should be able to be transferred to a new version. That is squads, players, attributes, CA/PA, league standings, balances, histories, reputations and so on.

Now the question would be how to handle any differences in the data or competition setup. Values for new categories of data could be assigned randomly or randomly within a certain margin that depends on club stature. That may go at the expense of some of the in-game logic, depending on the created values and its effects, but there may well be users who believe that being able to continue that save may well be worth the possible sacrifice.

I see that it is more difficult to deal with changes in competition rules or even setups (which anyway only affect very few leagues or cup between each two versions, if any). These may indeed prove to be impossible to deal with during a season. However, when a save is transferred just before a new season, then it may be possible to have the next season set up in accordance with all new rules and setups. That limitation to such savegame transfer option would however still be a progress from impossibility.

Thus, in conclusion, I would hope that if SI really had a serious go about finding a way to implement this, it may well be doable even though the result may not be perfect. Maybe sometimes it won't be doable whatsoever because the changes in the code between versions are just too big, but usually I'd think there should be a way.

Or am I missing or mis-understanding something? I the above is nonsense I'm happy to confess after having learned why :)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nothing to do with the differences in the data - it's to do with the structure of the data.

The game is a database. And anyone that works with databases knows that the structure is paramount.

You can't merge an old structure with a new structure.

FM12 game save structure will be completely different to FM13s - as new platforms will be developed, modified, altered, moved, rearranged, deleted, prefixed or suffixed, and the old structures references to the parts of the new structure would be completely incorrect.

I'm genuinely curious here.

I'm not sure to understand properly in which way the structure of savegames change or differ between versions. Can you explain that?

And wouldn't it be possible to write some code which converts the data from one structure into the other? I'm sure that happens all the time that data from one databse is tranferred and converted into another db.

I'm not sure to understand properly in which way the structure of savegames change or differ between versions.

I'm sure that happens all the time that data from one databse is tranferred and converted into another db.

Are you sure or unsure?

Can you explain that?

No, I don't work on the game.

Not saying it's easy, just that it may indeed the possible if the necessary coding time was allocated to the task.

In ordinary business, you have differing formats all the time and there is code which transports it into another format, and be Word 2k files on Word 2k7. I see that if categories are changed around completely and a whole new format is created that may be impossible.

The option to set tactics permanently

By that i mean always have the get stuck in option or the keep possesion option ticked at the start of a match not to have to do them at the start of every match .

Rewrite the text that is on the match report . it gets annoying when you constantly have the message Steve Smith or whoever hoofed the ball into row Z when it clearly barely crossed the sideline or touchline

Defenders try and head the ball away from goal upfield not constantly head it over the line for another corner

Both teams able to make substitutions at the same time not your team always having to wait if the opposition wants to make a sub

make it useful to actually have an ass man

If your ass man leaves or you terminate his contract and he was doing the match preparation you should once again be able to to set match preparation not have it greyed out until you hire another

I was thinking pretty much about the same thing a couple of years ago.

It would be fantastic if you could just transfer your profile to a new version of the game (reputation, trophys, statistics, etc.).

If that was possible, it would be just like you continued your career on a new platform :)

Dates and years when the trophys are won are irrelevant, the count is what matters, reputation also and relatiosnhips with clubs so you can easily continue the game and get a job you want more easily.

Each different version has hard coded things like rule changes/league structures which are different, so essentially they are different to the extent that a database created and modified by one version can't be made compatible with another.

I wouldn't be opposed to a "Manager Profile" - where it stores your name, photo, favourite team etc. so when you get to that area of setting up a new game, most fields are populated already.

I wouldn't be opposed to a "Manager Profile" - where it stores your name, photo, favourite team etc. so when you get to that area of setting up a new game, most fields are populated already.

Lazy sod :D

I would really like to have the ability to create a new game with all fictional players without those players simply being regens of the existing players in the database with only their nationalities and a couple of other bits of data changed.

Every other career sports sim offers this, and while I realize that maintaining a manageable database size is partly why SI uses the current method, I've never understood why a better and more fictional approach hasn't been developed. It could potentially allow more experiences of playing in new and obscure leagues without ruining the realism because we're also using real players for other leagues. If all players and staff could be fictional, this would be an ideal option.

Lazy sod :D

Oh you have no idea how lazy I am lol

The biggest problem is the nationality actually lol - I am Irish but it defaults to English. And I realise this a few months into the game and have to start fresh lol.

Not that I oppose to anyone being English, it's just that I'm not.

I would really like to have the ability to create a new game with all fictional players without those players simply being regens of the existing players in the database with only their nationalities and a couple of other bits of data changed.

Every other career sports sim offers this, and while I realize that maintaining a manageable database size is partly why SI uses the current method, I've never understood why a better and more fictional approach hasn't been developed. It could potentially allow more experiences of playing in new and obscure leagues without ruining the realism because we're also using real players for other leagues. If all players and staff could be fictional, this would be an ideal option.

you already have this... when you are starting a new game you can choose to use real players or not!

you already have this... when you are starting a new game you can choose to use real players or not!

I think you missed the first line.

When you start a new game with the 'Use real players' box unticked, the players will essentially be the same - only a few things change, like their name and nationality.

How in God's name are you going to transfer an FM12 game that has, let's say, been played until 2019/20 season, onto FM13 which will obviously begin in 2012/2013? Or am I missing the point?

Anyways, my feature would be the option to delegate all transfer/contract negotiations to the money men. I'm a football man.

The "feature" I would most like to see in FM13 would be that the bug in Commentary Only mode where 'text scrolls at double the normal speed = goal or red card' was finally fixed.

I always wanted this too, I understand that it would be tough to bring everything across but surely its possible to bring most important stuff, for example using FMRTE i was able to export a player from FM 10 then import his stats to the new game (11 or 12 cant remember) PA/CA all types of rep ect so i essentially replaced a current player with my favourite regen from my old game, so if i had the time i could have theoretically replaced all/majority of the players in the game with the Regen's from my save, and if I really wanted i could use the si editor to make a database with the same teams positions from my old save and then change the reputations and finances to what they where in the old game then start a new game in that so when i replace all the payers with my new ones all the teams would be in a similar place financially and reputation wise to where they where in my old save so it might still be the year 12/13 and have no history but you would have the same teams in the same places with the same players fiance and rep. So all you need to do is take a lot of time to do lots of boring and tedious tasks and you basically can do a lot. Or If i can do it manualy im sure there is a way to get a computer to do it much faster

even IF this was possible, it would be a huge waste of time like the add/remove league feature because it does not improve the game in any way. if you like your save so much, just keep on playing it until you get bored. id rather they improve AI and ME than include useless features.

jayahr,

I'm sure it is possible for SI to implement the feature you are asking for (migrating saves to new versions), but there isn't enough reward for SI when compared to how much effort would be required.

jayahr,

I'm sure it is possible for SI to implement the feature you are asking for (migrating saves to new versions), but there isn't enough reward for SI when compared to how much effort would be required.

That may well be true. I was just hoping that someone knowledgeable could explain in which way the savegames differ from version to version and what kind of changes just cannot be catered for in such migration. I believe to have some sort of idea about it, but that idea may as well be completely off reality...

In terms of reward for SI, I'm however sure than there would be many people kissing their feet for being able to continue their career saves in the next version. I am actually not buying every second version of the game for the single reason that my weekly network game save with two mates would otherwise never exceed 3 seasons of game time. Could we migrate our saves then I'm sure we'd buy every single iteration.

jayahr,

What makes you so sure?

even IF this was possible, it would be a huge waste of time like the add/remove league feature because it does not improve the game in any way. if you like your save so much, just keep on playing it until you get bored. id rather they improve AI and ME than include useless features.

That's your own opinion, to me this would me the single greatest thing to happen to FM. And it would pretty much grantee me buying the new version. And its not just as simple as just keep playing your old save, if you get the new version then get to play with experience the new features its very hard going back to an old version, for example in FM10 i had a 4 player hotseat game going was prob the best FM game I ever played since the league was always competitive and it was actually hard to get the best players since there where 4 teams in for the best of the best young Regen's. So then FM 11 comes out so I figure ill get it and play a 1 player game or maybe a 2player with my mate, but then after playing a new version and going back you start getting frustrated at certain things that they added or removed, no one wanted to start a new game on the new version since we had so much committed into the old save, and in the end we just ended up playing less and less of the old FM10 and couldn't bring our self's to take the time to get into FM11 since12 was out soon, then by the time that came out we had all stopped completely. And even now i find at times playing my sp game in FM12 which I am enjoying I find my self thinking, whats the point in playing this when the new one will be out in a few months, and trying to convince my brother or mates to start a new one gets the same answer new one out in a few months may as well wait for that.

That may well be true. I was just hoping that someone knowledgeable could explain in which way the savegames differ from version to version and what kind of changes just cannot be catered for in such migration. I believe to have some sort of idea about it, but that idea may as well be completely off reality...

In terms of reward for SI, I'm however sure than there would be many people kissing their feet for being able to continue their career saves in the next version. I am actually not buying every second version of the game for the single reason that my weekly network game save with two mates would otherwise never exceed 3 seasons of game time. Could we migrate our saves then I'm sure we'd buy every single iteration.

If you got enough people to show interest in the feature SI would take more notice.

What makes you so sure?

I'm a programmer. I'm almost never telling clients/colleagues that something is impossible. More that the time it would take to implement means it's not worth it.

I'd like improvements to the transfer engine and contract demands.

It's nearly impossible to offload young players. I've had young players valued around £1-2M and can't offload them. I'll offer them out at there game-based value and get returns saying X team isn't interested at the asking price. So, I'll drop the offer in half £500k + 50% next sale, and still no bite.

Aging stars refuse to take wage cuts in exchange for more performance based contracts.

A very small recommendation is Stadium names. How possible would it be for reserchers to include a group of areas around the town or city of the club that can be cherry picked for a stadium name.

For example, where I live in Middlesbrough, you could have Middlehaven, St Hildas, Acklam, Hemlington etc.

Producing names like St Hildas Park, The Middlehaven Stadium, Hemlington Road etc for a new Stadium for Middlesbrough FC, its kind of already there with the birthplaces of youth players.......

Much better than naming it after a player or a manager.

Either that, or a box field asking you to name the new stadium once its built, nevermind realism, its about gaming experience too.

With that being said, this is the first title ive bought since FM2009, and FM 12 is awesome by the way! The improvements made are great, match engine is great, not too hot on the GUI, but I'll get used to it, I could always skin it if I was that bothered. Top marks SI I love it, and I'm not one to shy away from criticising you too (cough*Steam*cough)

Plenty of improvements I'd like to see, and I haven't been able to read most of this thread so they may have already been mentioned...

- When you take over as manager, being able to select your preferred formation, pressing technique, defensive line, style of play, etc. rather than the usual 4-4-2 general presets.

- Being able to seek feeder clubs based on how they match your style of play i.e. i prefer a 4-3-3 with short passing, I'd rather not send players to a team that plays 4-4-2 and a direct style. Also being able to suggest a feeder club changes their style of play in some way with the promise of more/better loan players from the parent club.

- Scouting reports on the next opposition containing more of how they play as opposed to where their assists come from (especially annoying when they are pretty evenly matched in all aspects), with focus on passing, defensive line, weaknesses, etc.

- The coaching courses I support, with the mental attributes (determination, motivation, discipline) affecting how their attributes increase from the course.

- Discussions with staff when they are offered contracts by other clubs

- Selling players - more interest from clubs, more acceptance from players that they may need to drop a level, more requests for contributions toward wages as opposed to the "Dundee United wouldn't be interested as they couldn't match the wages demanded".

- Buying players - being able to ask for wage contributions yourself. I've only been able to do this once, got Hernan Crespo for Coventry in FM07 with Chelsea paying about £78,000 of his wages.

- Reputation more effective on sponsorship deals, and ability for you as manager to negotiate these deals.

- QUICK FREE KICKS in the ME. I'm forever thinking if my striker had the speed of thought to release the free kick early my winger is through one-on-one.

- Lock out options in contract negotiations. I don't want to be able to offer 'Match Highest Earner' to more than two players, and I don't want to have to keep removing it because some average right back wants it.

- Attributes being fully hidden, then scouts uncover them over the course of watching their matches. This could depend on the quality of scout as to whether you get their correct attributes or not, and once you sign them you get their real attributes. More likely to make mistakes in signings like Bebe, Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba for Man Utd.

- Freeform positions in grids rather than preset positions like AMR-AMC-AML. I might want one midfielder to sit just ahead of the midfield line but not as an attacking midfielder.

- When a player is set to retire and you discuss his future with him, have the option that when you suggest a career path you offer to pay for his training. I've seen Arjan De Zeeuw become a physio and only have an attribute of 3 for physiotherapy. Sending them for training would get their attributes roughly in line with their staff role.

- Select squads to take to away games. Never will Man Utd cart their full 25-man squad plus all available under-21s over to Romania for a European away match.

I'd like to see a path for coaches to join your club as journeymen and then steadily evolve over time. I'd like an option to send them on coaching courses to get badges and licenses, similar to having players learn new moves or any other improvement to facilities. It coasts money and takes time to gain the improvement. It would be a way to make the staff seem more real and allow you to grow familiar with and attached to them the same as academy players.

More meaningful manager rivalries

I have lost count the number of times in the interviews i say i cannot stand Mclaren or Grant or McLeish or whoever and the next day there is the comment that they think i am the nicest person they know and that they feel we could become friends . No we cannot i hate you and i want a rivalry with another manager that really means something not just a pointless comment in an interview

Coaches and ass man skills improving over time if the club is successful . Also the manager having more input into the training on the training ground .

I still have no idea if my management skills and stats ingame improve the more successful i am with a team after playing it now for 3 years

Someone to be locked in a room and not allowed out until the media section is completely revamped.

- No more managers saying stupid unprofessional stuff like "He is dreaming if he thinks he can win this match", or "Should be aiming for mid-table, not promotion" when you're 15 points clear on top with six games to go, or "I don't enjoy the style so-and-so insists his teams on playing" when you score three a game and don't pick up bookings.

- No more "Team X still searching for win" when you're in a relegation battle and have just ground out five draws in a row against top half sides.

- No more "Who do you think will win world player of the year" when you're in a promotion battle in the Conference North.

Media is a huge part of the football world, but it seems like SI don't consider it important at all, and don't bother with all the obvious flaws in the current model, which have been there for years.

I repeat and repeat again, I am begging for the new hair style such as Puyol's hair and Ronaldinho's hair and the new animations in the 3D match engine.

I think the gameplay is OK, but more feature is marvelous.

That's all.

Just got another idea. How about newgens having some PPMs already when they appear? Particularly (but not only) those that can't be trained like argues with officials. While they can be picked up via tutoring surely there are some youngsters who at an early age have such tendencies (as well as for dribbling, playing simple passing game, shooting with power, etc).

I don't know if this is off topic cause it isn't a in-game feature.

I would like SI focus on online game.

Now it's difficult, if not impossible, to create a game without an external program. And when you create one it is slow for the one who connects over internet.

Maybe the solution is a battle.net formula or even use STEAM.

I know it's a tough and expensive task but for me online FM is the best challenge for every fan of Manager!

After creating saves with PAOK, Woking (lower to PL), Perugia (serie c2 to serie A) I found myself around late May wanting a challenge. If it was easier to play online, I would continue to play FM with the same passion until the next game release.

I am glad there are others out there, that share my desire for this feature. I understand the problem with the structure of the database's and how from each version they are different. However I find it hard to believe that every year SI goes through and COMPLETELY rebuilds the databases from the ground up. That would be ridiculous, they are not re-inventing the wheel every year. So I do agree that it would take some conversation, but I think it is possible.

As for the other person that said, "if you like the game your playing so much than keep playing.." I want to convert it over, because I want to take the team and players that I have grown close to and enjoy the new features of the newer version. If you could drive an 12 BMW, why would you keep pushing the 10 model around.

I'd like improvements to the transfer engine and contract demands.

It's nearly impossible to offload young players. I've had young players valued around £1-2M and can't offload them. I'll offer them out at there game-based value and get returns saying X team isn't interested at the asking price. So, I'll drop the offer in half £500k + 50% next sale, and still no bite.

Aging stars refuse to take wage cuts in exchange for more performance based contracts.

One has to say though, that in the rl transfer market it is currently really difficult to get any transfer fee for an unwanted player. There are just too many teams wanting to reduce their rosters to warrant for big fees for second string players.

I feel that the market value in FM often distracts from the real value of players.

Especially young players in the EPL have inflated values. If as a EPL club you sign a young English 19 year old chap who was just released after his contract expired, he may have a PA rating of 2.5 or 3 stars, meaning he should never be good enough to be on your team, but he would be worth 2m, even though he could only ever peak at good CCC level. Back in FM10 one could snap these guys up and sell them for their market value next January, which was pretty cheaty to me. Now you cannot do that anymore and I feel it's fairly realistic that nobody will offer market value and that even nobody may actually offer anything.

What bugs me however is that not enough clubs come in and offer too little, maybe even nothing and a wage which will make the player come back to you for a contribution. That happens all the time irl and surely a player with good CCC potential will attract at least some interest on that offer level.

Improve Training system

- real sessions

- secondary rates to follow the players development week in week out ''with the reason for increase or decrease, like first team football, form, morale, enjoying in training etc..''

- tours: each region should benfite particular things ''like you traveled to South America, it's help technique, and a stamina for East Asia for example, poor ranked countries don't help apart from morale ! ''

- talking to the player if i'm willing to train him in new position.

- talking to the player before increasing his workload in training, and that's help not to let him moan about heave one. etc..

Favourite Personnel

Certain managers tend to work with same lot of backroom staff from job to job - ie mark hughes, martin o'neill,, paul lambert.

Be nice to see certain managers and staff stay in that little click and be unattainable to us and other managers.

Also some players who have favourite or admire a certain manager if they come in for them they will sign for them even if they are at a club they wouldnt usually sign for.

A examble of this is stale solbaccken at wolves his first signing Björn Bergmann Sigurðarson, wanted by everton who put in a bid but because he rates stale he drops a division and signs for wolves.

relationships should matter.

Media

Biography surely this infomation should show up when that person is mentioned in media

ie

dave jones takes sheff wednesday job jones has a history of taking teams up out of the championship as he took wolves up via the play-offs in 2003.

next day

jones hires trusty number 2 terry burton who has worked with jones previusly at XXXX.

Just tidys the game up and makes it more interesting and realistic the match engine is fine but the media and feedback sections ie assitant feedback in match and scout reports seem poor.

A very small recommendation is Stadium names. How possible would it be for reserchers to include a group of areas around the town or city of the club that can be cherry picked for a stadium name.

For example, where I live in Middlesbrough, you could have Middlehaven, St Hildas, Acklam, Hemlington etc.

Producing names like St Hildas Park, The Middlehaven Stadium, Hemlington Road etc for a new Stadium for Middlesbrough FC, its kind of already there with the birthplaces of youth players.......

Much better than naming it after a player or a manager.

Either that, or a box field asking you to name the new stadium once its built, nevermind realism, its about gaming experience too.

With that being said, this is the first title ive bought since FM2009, and FM 12 is awesome by the way! The improvements made are great, match engine is great, not too hot on the GUI, but I'll get used to it, I could always skin it if I was that bothered. Top marks SI I love it, and I'm not one to shy away from criticising you too (cough*Steam*cough)

To add to this, naming rights should become a pre-requisite for a club building a new stadium, or getting extra sponsership through it's existing stadia. Arsenal and City had to do it, as will Chelsea and Tottenham when they re-build.

To expand on the idea of creating your own profile/history (didn't read every post so sorry if it's already been mentioned): I wouldn't mind being an existing manager, so that when you take over at a club the existing manager isn't sacked but you literally 'become' him, including his rep and profile. Same goes for unemployed managers: I usually find myself looking up ex-footballers on Wikipedia when I create my profile and take over their name, DOB, favourite club (more than one please) and experience level, only to find out the person's already in the game, which immediately prompts a restart.

For example, when I start unemployed I'd like to be able to start as, let's say, Sean Dyche, or when I want to take over at Sheffield Utd I want to be able to play my game as Danny Wilson.

Not sure if that's legally ok though.

Did post this on another thread but thought it best here...

Players' training through the season is mostly positional, but numerous times you want to move the whole squad on to say Fitness or Skills and is done in just a couple of clicks using select-all.

However, to reverse this action there is no select-all option and can take 2 or 3 clicks a player, or fiddling with the ctrl or shift key.

So if you have their positional training as their default-option all you would need to do is select-all and hit the 'default training' tag, and back they all go.

Simple. Mouse clicking now reduced from 2 or 3 per player to a simple 1 click for entire squad.

(My last copy was FM11, but I don't think its been changed this way in FM12).

Archived