Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

7 hours ago, Pivot said:

Did you ever used tactic that made your team a steamroller, and on new save when you playing this same team and tactic, tactic doesn't work? 

It's the same principle as reloading the same match and getting a different result each time.  No two matches will be the same, so you can expect different results.  Further, no two saves will be exactly the same either, so again results will differ.

1 hour ago, Hanan96 said:

almost any youth player would got poor stamina. is it good to focussed their training in stamina attributes,or just give them anther focus, like role,and let the stamina increased naturally?

Stamina can increase naturally over time, but if a players' Stamina is especially low there's no harm in focusing on it for a while.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

It's the same principle as reloading the same match and getting a different result each time.  No two matches will be the same, so you can expect different results.  Further, no two saves will be exactly the same either, so again results will differ.

So tactic is useless?

What I should to do to make tactic great again? Reinstall a FM?

46 minutes ago, Pivot said:

So tactic is useless?

What I should to do to make tactic great again? Reinstall a FM?

Reinstalling FM won't make your tactic great again, or any worse for that matter.

What you do is learn to adapt to different situations if necessary.

13 hours ago, Pivot said:

Did you ever used tactic that made your team a steamroller, and on new save when you playing this same team and tactic, tactic doesn't work? 

The issue is that despite the beliefs, there isn't a one size fits all magical tactic.

More than ever in football manager you need to be able to adapt mid match to what is happening. If for example your team play high tempo, direct passes, and hit early crosses, but you come against opposition that sit very deep, narrow and stick to their shape (i.e don't close you down) playing direct passes at high tempo isn't going to get great results.

You might have to slow the tempo down, play shorter passes, work ball into the box, and play wider to stretch the play.

Obviously we all have a base tactic that we get our team familiar with, but I like to have 2 other tactics fully fluid so that I can make changes as necessary to adapt to different matches. For example I have my team fluid in 3 different mentalities, passing styles, tempos, and creative freedom. This then gives me the flexibility and peace of mind to know that if I have to play a shorter passing game, or direct , my team aren't "awkward" at it.

The other thing to take into consideration about why tactics are not one size fits all, is because of the players in your squad. Its all well and goodhaving a tactic with attacking full backs who hit early crosses into the box, with skilful inside forwards cutting inside and making forward runs into the box. But if you try that same tactic with a team with limited fullbacks who can't dribble, or cross then it's clearly not going to work.

The players need to be right for a particular tactic, so there's two ways to deal with things, firstly play tactics that are suitable for the players you have, or buy players that are suitable for the tactics you want to implement.

Edited by OCD

9 minutes ago, whoopy said:

what if we choose team shape as fluid whereas creative freedom was choosen as more disciplined ( this option also disallows roam from position option) ?

I believe under the hood there are "sliders". So take creative freedom which you mention and imagine players are rated from 0-20. With 0 being no creative freedom, and 20 total creative freedom. Setting team shape to fluid might give a particular player 15 creative freedom, and by selecting be more disciplined it knocks off 2 points so that particular player is now on 13 creative freedom.

Now obviously the numbers are pulled out of my ass, but the principle is that everything "stacks" and every change you make has a knock on effect. So for example tempo, to get the "slider on max" you would select overload, and much higher tempo team instruction, and that would give a player 20, however if you selected overload and normal tempo that would give a player 16. If you selected attacking mentality and normal it would give a player 12, if you increased tempo to max it would give the player 15, and so on, and to get the absolute lowest tempo you would select contain and much lower etc etc

Edited by OCD

11 minutes ago, OCD said:

The issue is that despite the beliefs, there isn't a one size fits all magical tactic.

More than ever in football manager you need to be able to adapt mid match to what is happening. If for example your team play high tempo, direct passes, and hit early crosses, but you come against opposition that sit very deep, narrow and stick to their shape (i.e don't close you down) playing direct passes at high tempo isn't going to get great results.

You might have to slow the tempo down, play shorter passes, work ball into the box, and play wider to stretch the play.

Obviously we all have a base tactic that we get our team familiar with, but I like to have 2 other tactics fully fluid so that I can make changes as necessary to adapt to different matches. For example I have my team fluid in 3 different mentalities, passing styles, tempos, and creative freedom. This then gives me the flexibility and peace of mind to know that if I have to play a shorter passing game, or direct , my team aren't "awkward" at it.

The other thing to take into consideration about why tactics are not one size fits all, is because of the players in your squad. Its all well and goodhaving a tactic with attacking full backs who hit early crosses into the box, with skilful inside forwards cutting inside and making forward runs into the box. But if you try that same tactic with a team with limited fullbacks who can't dribble, or cross then it's clearly not going to work.

The players need to be right for a particular tactic, so there's two ways to deal with things, firstly play tactics that are suitable for the players you have, or buy players that are suitable for the tactics you want to implement.

Yes, but when I used before that tactic (even if was not fluid) my team had counterattacks, through passes into box, crosses. Now my game is: pass to flank -> cross into box ->if striker didn't score, repeat.

22 minutes ago, Pivot said:

Yes, but when I used before that tactic (even if was not fluid) my team had counterattacks, through passes into box, crosses. Now my game is: pass to flank -> cross into box ->if striker didn't score, repeat.

What I'm trying to say though is that one tactic will not work against every team.

Sometimes you have to adapt to the opposition. In the example you gave sometimes playing down the flanks will not be the correct option, especially if the opposition is stronger than you are down the flanks, or for example floating crosses might not be the correct option against certain teams if their defenders are much taller than your players in the box.

Also the players you have in your team effect how appropriate a tactic is too. Take Arsenal as a real life example, hitting high crosses into Sanchez is not going to have great results, compared to if it was Giroud they were aiming crosses to.

Also are the players hitting crosses into the box able to cross well? Look at F Pogba the other day against Man Utd, he was obviously instructed to hit crosses into the box, but every single one of them was terrible and overhit.

Now in football manager if my tactic involved playing down the flanks, and hitting crosses into the box but my players were not capable of it, or it wasn't working I would then change my approach. You can't expect one tactic and approach to work every single game.

Lastly if you find that your tactic is suddenly not working then it is likely because the opposition has changed how they play against you. I find this happens more than ever in Football Manager. They even change through the match too, whether they suddenly play defensively and very narrow, or change to a 4-2-4 and start attacking you. The choice is then to stick with what you're doing, or adapt to their changes to punish them.

Edited by OCD

5 minutes ago, Pivot said:

One more question - it is possible to set diffrent OI for 3 diffrent tactics?

I believe (without checking) that opposition instructions are independent of any tactic. So if you have 3 different tactics loaded, they will all use your generic opposition instructions you have set.

You would need to then adjust them before each match, if you wanted to make changes.

I don't believe you can have 3 tactics with 3 different opposition instructions set for each tactic.

But again I don't find this to be a problem as I tend to adapt my opposition instructions depending on who I am playing, and what is happening in the match.

For example if I see that they have a player that is making lots of key passes, and receiving the ball a lot I will make sure and mark him out of the game. Or if I see a specific player that has too much time on the ball and is controlling the play I will make sure he is closed down.

Edited by OCD

How do you guys hold onto a lead?

It seems to happen more than i would like to admit but my sides always concede in the last minutes of the game

last match i was winning 3x0 against Chelsea and  with 15 minutes to go they  change the formation to a more attacking one, i get overrun and the final result is 3x3. They started with conte's 3-4-3 formation and changed to something like this:

CHELSEA.thumb.png.24ae2bd4088bf57217126799b1ebdcf5.png

and my formation was this one:

HULL.thumb.png.f4b3b83ebc8b9d603ad001ed4bf3764d.pngi

I'm a little bit unsure with the training module. Can someone explain the differences between Team Cohesion in general training and Teamwork and Match Tactics in the match preparation? This is the first iteration of the game I've played since FM12, where 'Teamwork' match prep seemed to be the thing to work on in order to get your players familiar with your tactics and each other.

I would assume that that is still the case in FM17, but there now seems to be more options which I am not sure where to apply them.

10 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

Arguably you have three players out of the majority of defensive situations (2 strikers and 1 AM) and an indisciplined role like box-to-box to add to it. You would have also been out-numbered in midfield as it is with their greater numbers. Finally neither team has considerable width in midfield ensuring the 'numbers game' in the middle is likely to be even more prominent (you actually have exploit the flanks as an instruction despite the only width coming from your full-backs versus a stronger team I wouldn't imagine that would be successful for long or consistently, it's not as if you're outnumbering them wide) On top of all that you have push up higher...

You might be forgiven the first goal being conceded but after seeing Chelsea obviously getting on top, drop deeper, change of formation (4-1-4-1 is my preferred defensive option) and removal of the box-to-box midfielder role would have all been considerations for me personally as would the offensive right-back. 

All-in-all I'm not surprised the formation left you wide open, there's a lot of areas to exploit. 

P.S. Structured would ensure further gaps between the offensive orientated players and defensive ones. 

Yeah you're right,  in this particular game i only changed both fullbacks to defend and dropped the d-line, but i usually  also change the AM-a to CM-d and the b2b to CM-s. My hope was that keeping structured with 2 or 3 mans up the pitch i was gonna be able to hit them on the break,  but apparently not.

Surely it's time for FM to properly separate the instructions for the defensive and offensive phases of games. This would allow for transitions between defence and attack that more closely mirror the real life game where it is actually possible to be structured in defence whilst at the same time remaining fluid in attack when you win the ball back

Edited by OhHoopedOne

Guys, how effective would a Structured or Very Structured shape with a 4-1-2-2-1 (DM, 2CMs, AMR, AML) be, against teams that mainly defend? Or to ask in general, what are some examples that would warrant changing the team shape - what do you look for, when deciding if you want to change it (I sometimes struggle to read the game when watching it)?

I usually start matches on Flexible and Control. Although with the formation mentioned above, I have no spaces between the lines (as 4-4-2 would have, for example), so maybe Structured would be the natural choice, I pick Flexible because I don't want my front three marked out of the game - I feel like I want more flexibility in attack, to make it harder for teams to defend, since I'm the attacking side most of the time. Then if I want to protect the result, I change it to Structured and Counter or even Very Structured and Defensive (when I do that, I usually also change to 2DMs), if I really want to hold on to the result.

However, I struggle to respond when I need a goal. I just came up against a 4-4-2 with 2DMs, where I was supposed to win. The first half on Flexible and Control went well, but we didn't score. So I went wider, lowered the tempo and asked for fullbacks to overlap more, to create overloads in the final third. After no change after 60 minutes, I also changed to Structured and Attacking. My idea was that my AMR, AML and ST are the best players on the pitch, so I want them to focus on attacking more. However, maybe that was the mistake, since I probably made it easier for the opponent to defend. Now that I think about it, maybe I should of used Fluid instead, to drag the opponent's defenders out more and have a more varied attack. I could probably also keep possession more easily that way, with players closer together.

But then again, my best players would have less attacking mentality that way and I'm not sure if that would be a smart thing to do, when I need a goal.

I really want to sort my set pieces out because I rarely score them and always seem to concede even when focussing on them during training.

What attributes are important at either end of the field. I'm guessing jumping and heading are the big ones. How about anticipation, bravery, strength, off the ball? Obviously marking for defending set pieces.

19 minutes ago, brookie1402 said:

I really want to sort my set pieces out because I rarely score them and always seem to concede even when focussing on them during training.

What attributes are important at either end of the field. I'm guessing jumping and heading are the big ones. How about anticipation, bravery, strength, off the ball? Obviously marking for defending set pieces.

if you go to the set pieces, it will have a list of attributes required for each set piece role

so if you want some one shooting from edge of box, long shots.  if you want passing etc go for that. seen a lot of people say they dont even touch it and it goes fine for them, maybe you are making it worse?

Just now, lemeuresnew said:

if you go to the set pieces, it will have a list of attributes required for each set piece role

so if you want some one shooting from edge of box, long shots.  if you want passing etc go for that. seen a lot of people say they dont even touch it and it goes fine for them, maybe you are making it worse?

I probably am making it worse! It's more the defensive side. I can use the list of attributes required for each role but I then need a view to see which of my players is most suited to which job.

1 minute ago, brookie1402 said:

I probably am making it worse! It's more the defensive side. I can use the list of attributes required for each role but I then need a view to see which of my players is most suited to which job.

think you just have to remember. you also need to remember it will change according to who is in that position. so even, for instance, you have one full back good in the air, it is best not to have him mark a tall player if you rotate him a lot as the replacement probably wont be. if that makes sense?

1 minute ago, brookie1402 said:

Marking, heading and positioning are the ones you should be looking out for. At corners I usually have somebody on each post, a player zonally marking each end of the six yard box, three man markers and a player at the edge of the box whilst leaving two upfront.

My usual set up is one man on the far post, 3 zonal markers across the centre of the six yard box, one on the edge of the box, and 5 man markers. Maybe that is owing to my downfall then as I have no one up front the opposition can just pile players into my box.

Is there a way of permanently assigning my striker to mark an opponent playing in a particular position?

For instance, if I want him to mark a full back, regardless of who's playing there, can I set this pre-match of do I have to wait until the game has started, pause it, and assign the duty in PI?

Please Note

When posting in this thread, remember what it is called.  It's designed for short questions and thus (hopefully !) quick answers (although I appreciate sometimes short questions require fairly long answers).  This helps keep the forum from being inundated with each short question being asked as a new topic.

If you aren't asking a short question, please start a new discussion thread.  If this thread gets into long questions and discussions, these short questions can easily get missed and people go unanswered.

5 hours ago, D_LO_ said:

Match training dictates what specific type of training will be implemented with the next match in mind, so this needs most adapting in my opinion. As match tactics comes under this I tend to have that as the 'default option' especially until the tactical familiarity is high (this is what actually builds tactical familiarity) of my chosen formations and when I don't need to worry about a specific opponent, i.e. pre-season is ideal to build this.

Likewise I also use team cohesion usually solely only in pre-season to aid new signings to blend with the rest of the squad. I rarely use teamwork, I would imagine this aids with that given mental attribute of your players and may be effective for teams which implement tactics in which it could be a prominent attribute (i.e. high press) or if your team is particularly struggling in that department (squad depth report would highlight this) but as I say I don't tend to use it so that's just my 'common sense approach' to it. 'Balanced' is my default option here and I rarely deviate from it. I don't notice much effects from this side of things though tbh. I just 'play along' for realism.

So 'Match Tactics' in match preparation will help players become familiar with the tactics I use. That is what I thought and makes sense.

Is there a definitive answer as to what 'Teamwork' match prep and 'Team cohesion' in general training does (they both have similar vague tooltips) and is there a way of gauging how effective the training of these are? Bar charts/graphs etc?

23 minutes ago, Barf_Vader said:

Is there a definitive answer as to what 'Teamwork' match prep and 'Team cohesion' in general training does (they both have similar vague tooltips) and is there a way of gauging how effective the training of these are? Bar charts/graphs etc?

As I understand it, both work to increase team cohesion. You can get an assessment of its current level from your Assistant Manager by navigating to Tactics > Analysis > Team Talk Feedback. At the top you can see his view on morale and cohesion.

The next question is of course 'how does it affect performance', but that one is tough to give a definitive answer to, other than 'higher is better'.

Edit: I forgot, I believe Squad Harmony on the Confidence page also indicates the same.

Edited by eriktous

One thing to note is that you do not need to use a counter attack mentality to actually counter attack. Counter attacks are initiated automatically, and regardless of what team instructions you have once a counter attack is initiated within the match engine then the instructions are overridden. For example you could instruct your team to play at a lower tempo, with short passing, but a counter attack would result in direct passes and higher tempo.

One thing that video does demonstrate though is the goalkeeper distributing quickly lol. Seriously Neuer started so many of them throwing quickly towards the halfway line...

In saying all of that though I tend to sit deep regardless of who I play and let the opposition attack me, I then tend to "exploit the flanks" at high tempo and with direct passing. I also don't play out of defence, and I use ball playing defenders. I use a structured shape as I want larger gaps between each bank of players, and I don't want my defenders attacking or helping in transitions, neither do I want my attacking players tracking back, I want them to be as high up as possible. Whether my theory is correct or not I try and do as much as possible to exploit the space behind my opposition as quickly as possible.

Edited by OCD

3 hours ago, Pivot said:

How to play like that? Very wide, structured, high tempo, counterattack mentality, mixed passes?

That is not a short question, as it there are lot of things that go into designing a system. Please start a separate thread for this.

Here's something I'm curious about.

Are there fundamental differences between player roles aside from the player instructions? Perhaps something going on "under the hood".

What I mean is if I set player instructions on a central midfield role to mimic a box to box role in terms of player instructions, would the two roles play out differently?

Because as you know a central midfielder on support has no player instructions set at all, and I'm intrigued whether there would be any difference at all if I set the exact same player instructions as another role.

Edited by OCD

51 minutes ago, OCD said:

Here's something I'm curious about.

Are there fundamental differences between player roles aside from the player instructions? Perhaps something going on "under the hood".

What I mean is if I set player instructions on a central midfield role to mimic a box to box role in terms of player instructions, would the two roles play out differently?

Because as you know a central midfielder on support has no player instructions set at all, and I'm intrigued whether there would be any difference at all if I set the exact same player instructions as another role.

There will be differences, some larger some smaller than others.  The larger differences relate to playmaker roles as they are coded as "ball magnets" which can't be replicated using a neutral role.  Smaller differences relate to variations in player mentality or creative freedom but aren't always noticeable.

Just now, herne79 said:

There will be differences, some larger some smaller than others.  The larger differences relate to playmaker roles as they are coded as "ball magnets" which can't be replicated using a neutral role.  Smaller differences relate to variations in player mentality or creative freedom but aren't always noticeable.

Thanks for the response. Yes I had read that certain roles like playmakers as you say, and target men tend to be "ball magnets" in certain situations.

I was just curious whether other roles had under the hood differences specific to the role, perhaps like a box to box acting slightly differently than a cm on a support duty with the same player instruction.

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter as I could just use a specific role as opposed to using a generic and making it identical in terms of player instructions, but I was really curious :)

9 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

What does the 'Confidence' part of this screen mean? It is on the tactical advice screen.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 19.39.14.png

It just means that he's recommending 5 or 6 Defend duties for the 10 outfield players. The rest then obviously will have either Support or Attack duties.

On 2/26/2017 at 15:06, herne79 said:

Stamina can increase naturally over time, but if a players' Stamina is especially low there's no harm in focusing on it for a while.

after few time trying, it seems hard to improve player stamina. some of low stamin player still got low stamina until they were 23 years old. while there's improvement, it still low. usually improvement just 2-3 points after few years. seems the training doesnt work with them.. few even becoming unhappy for additional training

any suggestion to improve my youth's stamina level?

2 minutes ago, Hanan96 said:

after few time trying, it seems hard to improve player stamina. some of low stamin player still got low stamina until they were 23 years old. while there's improvement, it still low. usually improvement just 2-3 points after few years. seems the training doesnt work with them.. few even becoming unhappy for additional training

any suggestion to improve my youth's stamina level?

Make sure your players have the right personality (high levels of Professionalism and Ambition) to train well.

And do some/all of the following (you need to take control of Training under Staff Responsibilities for these to work):

Set their individual training focus to Stamina.

Set their role training to something that includes Stamina work.

Set your team General Training to Physical as that will focus the team on developing their Physical attributes (which includes Stamina).

And make sure they actually play in matches, so if your Youth squad is too large trim it down to ensure the players you want to develop are playing often.

On 26/02/2017 at 19:57, TheUnderdog said:

Is there a way of permanently assigning my striker to mark an opponent playing in a particular position?

For instance, if I want him to mark a full back, regardless of who's playing there, can I set this pre-match of do I have to wait until the game has started, pause it, and assign the duty in PI?

Anyone know the answer to this? Or do I have to manually assign marking duties once the game starts?

5 star coaching vs 3 star coaching & effect of facilities

Does 5 star coaching (by this I mean a training category i.e. Aerobic with 5 stars because I have a top class coach);

increase the rate at which my players attributes increase?

Or does it increase the chance of my players reaching their maximum potential?

Or both?

I'm forever chasing the best coaches to try and get all my training cat's to 4.5/5 stars, but after playing for over 20 years I realised I don't actually know why? Or how it links into my training facilities etc.

if I have a player with 3 star CA and 5 star PA... can he get to 5 star CA with 3 star coaches... but slowly? Or is there a ceiling on his attributes based on my coaches deficiencies?

If all my training categories are 5 star but my facilities are average... does this have a tangible effect on a) the rate of attribute increase b) how high the players attributes can go?

14 hours ago, TheUnderdog said:

Anyone know the answer to this? Or do I have to manually assign marking duties once the game starts?

Sorry, I never use man marking duties so no idea if you can assign them permanently or each match.

14 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

Probably been asked a 1000 times, but I read it many times, that 1/2 through the / any season the AI reads your tactics etc. ; & it goes pear shape.

Any ideas / solution [s ] please guys?

The AI doesn't read your tactic.  If that's what you've read many times then many times you have been given false information.

The AI can however adapt and change how they play against you based on a variety of factors including (but not limited to) your team's reputation and success.  That will begin as soon as you start playing matches, not just half way through a season.  The solution is to recognise this and adapt your own team (if needed) if/when this happens.

10 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

5 star coaching vs 3 star coaching & effect of facilities

Does 5 star coaching (by this I mean a training category i.e. Aerobic with 5 stars because I have a top class coach);

increase the rate at which my players attributes increase?

Or does it increase the chance of my players reaching their maximum potential?

Or both?

I'm forever chasing the best coaches to try and get all my training cat's to 4.5/5 stars, but after playing for over 20 years I realised I don't actually know why? Or how it links into my training facilities etc.

if I have a player with 3 star CA and 5 star PA... can he get to 5 star CA with 3 star coaches... but slowly? Or is there a ceiling on his attributes based on my coaches deficiencies?

If all my training categories are 5 star but my facilities are average... does this have a tangible effect on a) the rate of attribute increase b) how high the players attributes can go?

Better coaches improve the quality of training and the likelihood of seeing ability improvements.  This can also help players reach their potential and with greater alacrity (although other factors also influence that such as playing time, injuries, training facilities and so on).

You also can't really compare a 5 star player with a 3 star coach as the star ratings are different - players are rated against their team mates and playing level, coaches are just a bad to good rating.  A 5 star player in a division 4 club would probably be a one star player at a top division club, whereas a 5 star coach would be 5 star wherever he was.

I have a quite successful narrow tactics that I enjoy using. However, I want to experiment with a different version of it, and I am looking for advice and feedback.

Current setup:

GK - GK D

Backs - WB D/S

DCs - CB D

MC - BWM S

MC - CM A

AMC - AP S

ST - DF S

ST - AF/CF A

If I wanted to use wingers, would a conversion to the formation below mimic it enough to be basically the same:

GK, DEF and MC's stay the same

AMR - IF A

AML - IF S

ST - DF/CF S

In short, the one striker and AMC are converted to wide players

Edited by Mr_Demus

Probably been asked a 1000 times, but I read it many times, that 1/2 through the / any season the AI reads your tactics etc. ; & it goes pear shape.

The AI doesn't read your tactic.  If that's what you've read many times then many times you have been given false information.

The AI can however adapt and change how they play against you based on a variety of factors including (but not limited to) your team's reputation and success.  That will begin as soon as you start playing matches, not just half way through a season.  The solution is to recognise this and adapt your own team (if needed) if/when this happens.

Herne79, thanks for reply. so when it says that QPR are `punching above their weight / doing better than expected` - the Team`s success is exceeding Reputation?.

I plan to change players. I don`t really want to change Tactics / Formation. I played with a 2nd Tactic & lost all 3 times 3-0. How do I recognise? - tweak Tactic ?

thx in adv

Probably a stupid question, but hey... How do you guys decide when to let a player that starts moaning about leaving for a better club, go? Let's say he's one of your key players and Real Madrid come in with an offer. You don't need the money and he still has 2-3 years left on his contract. Do you let him go if he goes moaning to media or do you just keep him no matter what, since he obviously still has a lot of time on his contract and he won't be easy to replace? When do you decide it's better to sell him?

I personally maybe sometimes hold onto my players too much, if they're decent. I don't know when it's better to sell them than to force them to stay. I know that a player's morale goes to **** for a month or two, but sometimes he drops the issue immediately after the transfer window. I usually get a lot of offers for my best players and if I accepted every single one, I wouldn't ever be able to build my squad. How big of a deal is it really, if you force a player to stay?

Edited by MeMyself2k13

3 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

Herne79, thanks for reply. so when it says that QPR are `punching above their weight / doing better than expected` - the Team`s success is exceeding Reputation?.

I plan to change players. I don`t really want to change Tactics / Formation. I played with a 2nd Tactic & lost all 3 times 3-0. How do I recognise? - tweak Tactic ?

thx in adv

It means they are exceeding expectations - at the start of each season your team has a media predicted finishing position in the league.

And you may need to consider short term vs long term.  Short term you may need to make tactical changes to grind out results until such time as you can bring in better players.

44 minutes ago, MeMyself2k13 said:

Probably a stupid question, but hey... How do you guys decide when to let a player that starts moaning about leaving for a better club, go? Let's say he's one of your key players and Real Madrid come in with an offer. You don't need the money and he still has 2-3 years left on his contract. Do you let him go if he goes moaning to media or do you just keep him no matter what, since he obviously still has a lot of time on his contract and he won't be easy to replace? When do you decide it's better to sell him?

I personally maybe sometimes hold onto my players too much, if they're decent. I don't know when it's better to sell them than to force them to stay. I know that a player's morale goes to **** for a month or two, but sometimes he drops the issue immediately after the transfer window. I usually get a lot of offers for my best players and if I accepted every single one, I wouldn't ever be able to build my squad. How big of a deal is it really, if you force a player to stay?

Not really a Tactics or Training question (thread title ;)), but it depends what you want to do and how you play the game.

If you don't want to sell, don't.  Sure the player's morale will be lowered (watch the language in this forum please) but eventually they'll recover, and it probably won't impact their on pitch performance anyway.  I had a recent offer for my star striker, he wasn't happy I rejected, morale was abysmal, team mates were taking his side - I played them all next match, we won 4-0 with the striker scoring a hat trick.  So yeh, morale...:rolleyes:

Alternatively you could consider that everyone has a price and play the game that way.

On 28/02/2017 at 04:51, HUNT3R said:

It just means that he's recommending 5 or 6 Defend duties for the 10 outfield players. The rest then obviously will have either Support or Attack duties.

I meant the part where it says 'Confidence' and 'Little Knowledge' next to his name. What does this relate to?

Can you increase role familiarity substantially? Right now I have Ben Woodburn who my scouts are convinced can be a huge player, he's natural at Advanced Forward and can play some other roles as well but my system uses a CF, a role that for some reason he's completely ineffectual at. In general I've found that it's extremely difficult to find regens who can play CF.

I have him training as a CF but I haven't seen any changes to his familiarity with it yet. Is there any hope for him or should I look elsewhere?

Just now, bar333 said:

Can you increase role familiarity substantially? Right now I have Ben Woodburn who my scouts are convinced can be a huge player, he's natural at Advanced Forward and can play some other roles as well but my system uses a CF, a role that for some reason he's completely ineffectual at. In general I've found that it's extremely difficult to find regens who can play CF.

I have him training as a CF but I haven't seen any changes to his familiarity with it yet. Is there any hope for him or should I look elsewhere?

some roles like CF, Roaming playmaker, Treq have CA minimums before they are shown as suitable. I ignore it. If the player can play the role, whatever it is, play him there. The role suitability is just a general guide aimed at the casual player. If you know what you want from the role and player, then use whatever works.