Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, jc577 said:

I've read on a couple of threads that when designing a tactic it's important to envisage how goals will be scored.. how true is this? 

It's worth doing as it gives you some kind of idea of the movement you want to see in your tactic. That way, when watching the highlights you'll be able to identify whether the players are doing what you want or not. 

1 minute ago, Marshdweller said:

What's the difference between direct passing and risky passing?

Risky passing is encouraging your players to look for through balls and "threading the eye of the needle" that are likely to give away possession but would create good chances if they come off.

Direct passing is what it says on the tin, moving the ball forward as quickly as possible without going route one. Passes could perhaps be considered less risky, but still expect your passing % to drop compared to mixed or shorter passing.

1 hour ago, nightwalker22 said:

What's the side effect of having a single playmaker in the tactic, in advanced areas (AMC for example) or in deeper areas (DLP in DM/CM for example)?

The affect a playmaker will have is that he'll see the ball more often as players will look to pass to him more.

6 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

The affect a playmaker will have is that he'll see the ball more often as players will look to pass to him more.

Yeah but I thought that for example if you have an AP in AMC for example, the build-up can bypass the CM and become more direct.

1 minute ago, nightwalker22 said:

Yeah but I thought that for example if you have an AP in AMC for example, the build-up can bypass the CM and become more direct.

Yeah, but it's not going to be lumped to him. If it's a choice between the two, then the playmaker will obviously be preferred as players will look to pass to their playmaker more.

So your AMC position WILL then see more of the ball, which can possibly make you more direct in getting the ball to him only. As said though, it will depend on whether there's a choice. If the AP is too far, it will need to go to the CM before the AP. 

18 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Yeah, but it's not going to be lumped to him. If it's a choice between the two, then the playmaker will obviously be preferred as players will look to pass to their playmaker more.

So your AMC position WILL then see more of the ball, which can possibly make you more direct in getting the ball to him only. As said though, it will depend on whether there's a choice. If the AP is too far, it will need to go to the CM before the AP. 

I see, that makes sense, what about a playmaker in deeper positions, will it result in a more controlled build-up play? (I remember that's what I read somewhere back ago).

1 hour ago, nightwalker22 said:

I see, that makes sense, what about a playmaker in deeper positions, will it result in a more controlled build-up play? (I remember that's what I read somewhere back ago).

Controlled as in they're going to seek him out more often? Then yes. More controlled than before, possibly.

All of this is still going to depend on the rest of the setup.

31 minutes ago, markus_aurelius said:

how to exploit an opposition high D line? I've tried several striker roles and methods but doesn't seem to be successful...

What hasn't worked for you? Would hate to suggest something that you've tried already, but I will: I typically will set 2-3 good passers in the midfield or an advanced FB to more risky passes and more direct passing to look for runners that will get behind the line. If you have a slow team, or at least slow attackers it will probably fail, but that is a tried and true way to break a high line. Your #1 runner is probably a striker- I like to use  a fast poacher for that, but an AF can work too. I don't normally like the poacher role so much, but in specialized situations like this, he is a good choice. If you have the time/luxury, training 'likes to beat offside trap' is a great PPM for that kind of usage.

reeeeeeeeeeally stupid question but 'move into channels' says it asks players to find vertical spaces. lets say we are viewing the pitch with the nets on the left and right. is vertical up and down movement, or if we are facing the net, is vertical up and down? hope i worded that right

54 minutes ago, brigzi said:

reeeeeeeeeeally stupid question but 'move into channels' says it asks players to find vertical spaces. lets say we are viewing the pitch with the nets on the left and right. is vertical up and down movement, or if we are facing the net, is vertical up and down? hope i worded that right

Check the FAQs in the sticky at the top of the forum :thup:.

3 hours ago, markus_aurelius said:

well, nothing had worked... I implemented your advice and it seems to work better now. thanks!

and another question: if I'm being pressed heavily by the opposition, should I play with higher tempo?

Glad it was giving some results beating the high line :thup:- as for being pressed heavily, if I am losing the ball then yes that is generally what I do- up the tempo!

Is there a way to see "compressed" match stats, in a similar way that you can see a players form, without having to go individually into every match. The main reason being, I was wondering if I change of formation had resulted in my team being offside more frequently, and I wanted to see some stats on it rather than just relying on my intuition.

hi all,

my centre backs has been too aggressive, they almost always go for air balls from opposition keeper, thus leaving huge gap behind them. This allows opposition AM to take the advantage and facing my keeper. Here's the clip to illustrate my point, I am : 

My centre backs are Central Defender - Defend and my DM is DM - Defend. I have Close Down More as the only TI in a Standard mentality and Flexible team shape, but I check my CD close down meter, it's just half the bar.

How can I tell my centre backs not to engage air balls when it's not in their zonal?

That is definitely a ball your CD's should be looking to win. If anything the mistake was 2 players challenging for the same ball and losing. I would consider dropping your defensive line to counter this if it happening a lot.

3 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

For a team with poor wide player options, is a 4-1-2-1-2 better than a 5-3-2, as the formation of choice? The team has good central defenders, and several ball-winners.

There's no best really, depends on roles/duties and the players

Hi all, I have some questions regarding my 4-1-2-3 developing.

1. Does anyone knows if Raumdeuter is a ball-magnet or not?

2. How can I get my AMR/AML to dribble less (not IF or W) but also not a ball-magnet (AP or WTM) as well?

3. I need advise on my 4-1-2-3 setup, currently my attackers are so isolated. I notice both my central mids & wingers constantly dribble a lot into a cul-de-sac and then lose the ball. (only 2 TIs: deeper D-Line & Look for overlap).

4. What do you do when your opponent pressing too high and force your defender (when on the ball) to make mistake (wrong back pass, dwell too long)? Also, how can I tell my team to press like that?

2017-06-10_23-16-01.png

1 hour ago, Leccy said:

Hi

Does anyone know what a 'good' attribute number is for Bundesliga 2?

I am playing FM16 so don't have the fancy bars on the comparison page like FM17.

Depends on who you are managing but 12+ is quite good for that level. If you're Stuttgart though it'll obviously be higher than if you're Bielefeld.

4 hours ago, Leccy said:

Hi

Does anyone know what a 'good' attribute number is for Bundesliga 2?

I am playing FM16 so don't have the fancy bars on the comparison page like FM17.

You can also go to Team Comparison and calculate the average between the highest and lowest value of the atribute you looking for and make an idea of what you need/have.

22 hours ago, Leccy said:

Thanks Fosse.

I'm Bochum so I'll go with 12.

My second team, nice :cool:

Eisfeld and Saglam are brilliant midfield creators for the 2. Bundesliga

On 11 iunie 2017 at 09:26, WengerApprentice said:

Hi all, I have some questions regarding my 4-1-2-3 developing.

1. Does anyone knows if Raumdeuter is a ball-magnet or not?

2. How can I get my AMR/AML to dribble less (not IF or W) but also not a ball-magnet (AP or WTM) as well?

3. I need advise on my 4-1-2-3 setup, currently my attackers are so isolated. I notice both my central mids & wingers constantly dribble a lot into a cul-de-sac and then lose the ball. (only 2 TIs: deeper D-Line & Look for overlap).

4. What do you do when your opponent pressing too high and force your defender (when on the ball) to make mistake (wrong back pass, dwell too long)? Also, how can I tell my team to press like that?

2017-06-10_23-16-01.png

You should create a thread explaining about your tactical issues imo.

2 hours ago, Fosse said:

My second team, nice :cool:

Eisfeld and Saglam are brilliant midfield creators for the 2. Bundesliga

Admittedly I'm awful at FM, but I struggle to get the best out of Eisfield.

Great technical skills but the lack of balance or bravery seem to hold him back. He rarely gets over 7 rating. 

Should say I'm playing FM16 and I'm poor at tactics.

Offtopic: I play 5-a-side with friends once a week and you're either red or blue team. I've enjoyed  being Bochum so much I've ordered the home and away kits - I'm 28 years old :(

Hi there I want to do a LLM save but I am not sure what's more important in terms of attributes, I mean the all around like in higher levels (or those needed for club DNA) or more like mental/physical ones?

If there are any articles on this subject LLM, please could you post the links.

1 hour ago, Carney48 said:

How long after a player has finished Tutoring a youngster can he start tutoring someone else?

Welcome to the forum :).  It's usually around 6 weeks or so.

32 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

Hi there I want to do a LLM save but I am not sure what's more important in terms of attributes, I mean the all around like in higher levels (or those needed for club DNA) or more like mental/physical ones?

If there are any articles on this subject LLM, please could you post the links.

Two schools of thought (and I may over simplify here for brevity's sake): 1) all attributes are relative to the level at which you are playing, so it doesn't really matter.  2) concentrate on Physicals.

Rather than articles, check Rashidi's Bust the Net YouTube channel, and in particular his LLM series where he takes over Gloucester.

2 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

@herne79 - So could you explain how physical attributes are more important than say mental or technical (less likely at a lower level)? I mean, could a winger use pace that effective if his dribbling is absolutely awful?

instead of using ronaldo like step overs to get past someone, hed just knock the ball past them and use sheer pace to beat them

Question on ppm "comes deep to get ball" 

I'm building a 442 narrow diamond. 

In the amc role would you change the duty from support + get forward to attack in order to counter the "comes deep to get ball" ppm. 

I have forwards in attack and support, fullbacks on attack. So I'm weary of 2 strikers, 2 attack fbs and an am in attack (5 man attack), but I find the amc drops too deep and is holding hands with my Mc support. 

Do you use mentalities to adjust for ppm's? 

Or would it be counter productive due to too many attackers 

I basically want the amc to move around in space in the gap between mid and defense, but also burst forward as an added runner when  a striker drops deep or peels off wide. 

On 6/15/2017 at 13:49, herne79 said:

Welcome to the forum :).  It's usually around 6 weeks or so.

Continuing on the subject of tutoring, once i've seen that the tutorees determination has risen to the same as the tutors, can i cancel the tutoring without any negative effects? just want to speed up the process of getting my tutors onto new young players. 

I'm under the impression that the determination of the tutoree will only rise to the level of tutor and go no higher, so there there doesn't seem to be a point in continuing with the tutoring once its reached that level

I've read the SFraser youth thread which gave me some vital info on tutoring but obviously that's from 2011 so would be glad of any other threads that will have more info specific to the later games

2 hours ago, Carney48 said:

Continuing on the subject of tutoring, once i've seen that the tutorees determination has risen to the same as the tutors, can i cancel the tutoring without any negative effects? just want to speed up the process of getting my tutors onto new young players. 

I'm under the impression that the determination of the tutoree will only rise to the level of tutor and go no higher, so there there doesn't seem to be a point in continuing with the tutoring once its reached that level

I've read the SFraser youth thread which gave me some vital info on tutoring but obviously that's from 2011 so would be glad of any other threads that will have more info specific to the later games

If you cancel tutoring the tutor won't be able to tutor again until the initial tutoring period has finished IIRC.

5 hours ago, Carney48 said:

2 hours ago, Fosse said:

If you cancel tutoring the tutor won't be able to tutor again until the initial tutoring period has finished IIRC.

And just to add to Fosse's reply, tutoring isn't just about Determination it's about improving a players' personality to help them become a better footballer and therefore be more likely to reach their potential.  If you cancel tutoring early you'll run the risk of not altering their personality as much as possible.

Hi!

"New" to this forum (been reading here for years now, but I have never written anything) and I have a stupid question :-)

Regarding friendly matches, are they totally pointless? I remember reading somewhere that there is no idea to test your tactic in those matches because they will not tell you anything useful. Anyone know if this is really the case?

What's roughly the maximum time it can take a player to learn/unlearn a PPM?

I'm playing FM Touch, so there's no feedback at all about the progress of PPM training. I've had some players trying to unlearn their PPMs for a year now, probably pretty safe to assume it's never going to happen at this point, right?

3 hours ago, Mindtrick_42 said:

Hi!

"New" to this forum (been reading here for years now, but I have never written anything) and I have a stupid question :-)

Regarding friendly matches, are they totally pointless? I remember reading somewhere that there is no idea to test your tactic in those matches because they will not tell you anything useful. Anyone know if this is really the case?

Welcome to the forum :).

Friendly matches are very important for a variety of reasons:

- Build player morale prior to competitive matches starting.  Set some friendlies against low quality opposition so that you are "guaranteed" to win.  Winning matches = better morale.

- If your team are financially poor, use them to give you a financial boost.  Just be aware of how much you pay the visiting team vs income generated, you don't want to be making a loss.

- Get your players match fit before the season starts.  Schedule several friendlies and get your whole squad playing.  Playing in matches is the only way to get players match fit.

- Improve tactical familiarity.  Set your General Training up during pre-season so that you maximise Match Preparation
 and set Match Prep to Tactics in order for your team to improve their knowledge of your tactical system.

- Experiment with your tactical system in a relatively safe environment.  Better to use this period rather than competitive matches.

TL;DR, use pre-season friendlies to help your players hit the ground running when competitive matches start.

1 hour ago, ndrscr said:

What's roughly the maximum time it can take a player to learn/unlearn a PPM?

I'm playing FM Touch, so there's no feedback at all about the progress of PPM training. I've had some players trying to unlearn their PPMs for a year now, probably pretty safe to assume it's never going to happen at this point, right?

Feedback on progress of PPM training is definitely an area that could be improved.  PPMs can take a few days or the best part of a year to finish, you just never know how it's progressing.  If it takes longer than that I'd be concerned it might have bugged out.  More than a year seems pretty extreme.

10 hours ago, herne79 said:

If it takes longer than that I'd be concerned it might have bugged out.  More than a year seems pretty extreme.

Not necessarily bugged, but on FMT they just keep training it until they learn it or you tell them to stop. You never get the message that it's failed, like in full FM.

But thanks, I guess after a year it's time to admit defeat and cancel.

Tutoring question: Can you lower hidden attributes (like professionalism) with tutoring? Also related; ending up inheriting a potentially worse personality  if the tutor has a worse personality?

And would this be true; Presume you can inherit a worse personality or is that impossible if you have to lower the hidden attributes of the one being tutored?

Linked and kinda the same question I suppose but need a better understanding in general here, sorry!

Logic tells me you can lower attributes (bad influence) but then the game is rather unforgiving since it´s hidden attributes.

Appreciated!  

17 minutes ago, Majeure said:

Tutoring question: Can you lower hidden attributes (like professionalism) with tutoring? Also related; ending up inheriting a potentially worse personality  if the tutor has a worse personality?

And would this be true; Presume you can inherit a worse personality or is that impossible if you have to lower the hidden attributes of the one being tutored?

Linked and kinda the same question I suppose but need a better understanding in general here, sorry!

Logic tells me you can lower attributes (bad influence) but then the game is rather unforgiving since it´s hidden attributes.

Appreciated!  

Yes it can, which is why it's important to choose a good tutor with a better personality than the tutee.

Thanks for the super quick reply!

And if both personalities are within the same range of a hidden attribute I guess it's impossible to know if that given attribute are getting improved or otherwise, for example choosing a tutor with same personality can be a gamble.

4 minutes ago, Majeure said:

Thanks for the super quick reply!

And if both personalities are within the same range of a hidden attribute I guess it's impossible to know if that given attribute are getting improved or otherwise, for example choosing a tutor with same personality can be a gamble.

Maybe, but if they have the same good personality, or more specifically - my youngster already has a good personality, I wouldn't feel the need to tutor him with someone else of the same personality.