Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

12 hours ago, Cleon said:

Bravery probably as he will shy away from some things that he isn't confident of winning. Could also be concentration as he might not see the header until late because his brain might have drifted off elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering retraining him as a winger. He is already accomplished in the AMR position but can't play in a MR position at all at the moment and this is a position that my tactic uses. He is 24 years old and his PA star rating is the same as his CA star rating. Do you think that it is worth me trying to retrain him to a brand new position or will it eat away at his CA too much in your opinion?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, FatRonaldo said:

Does anticipation can be taught?

I have a player with low anticipation and I want to improve it if that's possible? (with wide target man training role)

There's a few roles that explicitly have anticipation focus, but I find the attribute tends to go up as players develop on their own as well.  I have a left winger that went from 6.8 to 11.0 in about 2 years as an 18 year old to 20 year old.

It is 1st July in Prem, I am bidding to loan a player but is blocked out [ say i orange? ] , with the message I have 6 HG players`, I need 8.

I have at least 8.

Is this a case of moving some players` from U23`s to Main Squad? OR the fact that they are on holiday until 6th? OR future Transfers away , that I am unaware of atm ?,

Thx in Adv

On 16/08/2017 at 15:14, craiigman said:

Which attributes, visual or hidden effect this as a negative?

GSAypT9.png

On 16/08/2017 at 16:48, Dr. Hook said:

You're right, anticipation has its own icon, and so do decisions. Vision has one too- 'player can't pick out a pass' or something like that.  I remember seeing 'lack of game intelligence' a few times and it has seemed to be a result of a combination of attributes , else it was not really explainable.

This is a catch-all "he's not very good mentally" comment.  I've no idea the exact driver, but it suggests a few of his mental attributes are particularly low.

You get a similar one if their physicals or technicals are particularly good or rubbish.

i.e. Player is a technical footballer
His Ball Control highlights his great technical ability.

You might find that this comment came alongside a specific pinpointing of a poor attribute.

What will happen if I:

- Use a player with 'Drops deep to receive the ball' as an Inside Forward (Attack)?

- Use a player with 'Drops deep to receive the ball' as an Complete Forward (Attack)?

I'm wanting to use a superb regen at the AML position which is his best position (full green), but he fails to score higher then a 7.0 and I guess it is because of this PPM.
I also bought Dybala, but because he has the same PPM I wonder how this affect his play if I use the attack role.

On 8/18/2017 at 09:11, Seb Wassell said:

My comment was only really in respect to matches. As @ilkork mentions it is still important to consider coach workload etc.

Thanks for your comments here.

I also use the Under 18s to teach new positions, and get players familiar with my tactics. I assume matches before the age of 18 count for that a least, am I wrong there?

Do matches matter at all for attribute development of Under 18s? Or just not as much as they do after 18?

Any hints as to what the 'Goldilocks zone' is? For a player's rating at a level while developing?

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I also use the Under 18s to teach new positions, and get players familiar with my tactics. I assume matches before the age of 18 count for that a least, am I wrong there?

Of course, it is only the development factor that is affected.

Do matches matter at all for attribute development of Under 18s? Or just not as much as they do after 18?

Matches still help a player to develop but they are not critical; not playing before the age of 18 will not cripple development in the same way it will after 18.

Any hints as to what the 'Goldilocks zone' is? For a player's rating at a level while developing?

I'm afraid not.

20 minutes ago, markus_aurelius said:

what is the best role for a DM, when using two attacking fullbacks at 4-3-3 formation?

The best role is the role that best fits into your tactical system, how you want your team to play and what you want the role to do, so long as you have the right player for that role of course.

I don't know if this is a question, but I had something crazy happen scouting wise. Maybe I've never been paying attention. I've been playing since FM2010. In the span of 3 game months, I had a scout go from 18/17 JPA/JPP to 13/15. He's 64 years old, maybe it's a sign of early onset Dementia?

Determination 19 -> 11

Motivating 4 -> 1

Tactical Knowledge 6 -> 1

JPA 18 -> 13

JPP 17 -> 15

He did 'retire from hands on roles' at some point.

I guess the question is, is this type of thing pretty common with old staff? 64 isn't even *that* old. I know staff ratings can get better or worse, but this much, this quickly seems strange.

Also, is there a rare event where, since I mutually terminated him (he was only making $50K a year) that I might get sued at some point for age discrimination? 

Also, if this is common, it would be pretty cool to get an email from the Director of Football, 'Hey Joey, I wanted to bring up how Bobby Dickson seems to be having some issues lately; his last few scouting reports have been questioned by some of the other staff, and I've heard through the grapevine that he's been late for games a few times. He may be having some trouble at home, but I think it's something we need to look into.'

I'd like to think I am competent at this game but there are 2 formations my usually very competent 4231 (i have a wide and a narrow (3 AMs) version) cant seem to beat.

For context, I'm in my 5th season with Chelsea, win the league every year, but consistently get knocked out of cup competitions by the following:

1. 451/433 (1 DM 2 CM with wingers) , this is usually against Mourinhos Man Utd where i seem to lose by 1 goal every time, also a few other Prem teams play it and i end up with 0-0 draws away from home.

2. 352/3322 (3 CB 2 WB 1 DM 2 CM 2 ST), Juventus have knocked me out of the CL 3 of the 4 seasons, extremely frustrating and its the only time I come up against this formation, a common theme is i have way less shots and thus less chances against them than I do usually against other formations.

I guess what I'm asking without posting my formation roles etc is that are there any standardised practices or rules of thumb against these formations to ensure goals while not conceding?  admittedly maybe it is a case of just changing formation against these.

Edited by LozRyu

• SI Staff
22 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I don't know if this is a question, but I had something crazy happen scouting wise. Maybe I've never been paying attention. I've been playing since FM2010. In the span of 3 game months, I had a scout go from 18/17 JPA/JPP to 13/15. He's 64 years old, maybe it's a sign of early onset Dementia?

Determination 19 -> 11

Motivating 4 -> 1

Tactical Knowledge 6 -> 1

JPA 18 -> 13

JPP 17 -> 15

He did 'retire from hands on roles' at some point.

I guess the question is, is this type of thing pretty common with old staff? 64 isn't even *that* old. I know staff ratings can get better or worse, but this much, this quickly seems strange.

Also, is there a rare event where, since I mutually terminated him (he was only making $50K a year) that I might get sued at some point for age discrimination? 

Dementia is not in the game.

Staff members can decline in the same way players do. The fact he has retired from hands on roles certainly indicates he is nearing the end of his career. 

You will not get sued.

Hi guys and moderators.

I have a question I'm kinda unsure about. What's the difference between "play narrower" and "exploit the middle"shouts? From what I understand " play narrower" focuses of playing through the middle and " exploit the middle" raises the central players mentality higher right? . I play a short passing games for like the ball to move around, so does that mean play narrower would be better than playing on a balanced width. I want the passes to be passed without affecting the mentality like " exploit the middle" does.

Edited by Bdare

On 8/25/2017 at 00:32, Bdare said:

Hi guys and moderators.

I have a question I'm kinda unsure about. What's the difference between "play narrower" and "exploit the middle"shouts? From what I understand " play narrower" focuses of playing through the middle and " exploit the middle" raises the central players mentality higher right? . I play a short passing games for like the ball to move around, so does that mean play narrower would be better than playing on a balanced width. I want the passes to be passed without affecting the mentality like " exploit the middle" does.

I believe play narrower will force your whole formation to be closer to the middle with less space for wide players.

Exploit the middle encourages your team to play the ball into the middle without changing your players spacing.  So players will look to pass (and maybe dribble) through the middle of the pitch more so than other areas.

Wait, all these years I thought that my coaches still train my players, even if they are studying for a licence, but apparently they are not?
sendoncourse_edited.thumb.png.8cedfcf78d919de779ab726a81040db6.png

And if "the team's schedule is too hectic to leave the backroom team short-staffed at this point in time", why did they allow another coach to start a coaching course (after my request)???
:idiot:s ???

Edited by ilkork

How do people manage to get high possession numbers using control mentality? I can only ever achieve high possession numbers with counter or lower in FM. I use all the shouts, roles and shapes that would help possession on control but nothing seems to make a difference.

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

How do people manage to get high possession numbers using control mentality? I can only ever achieve high possession numbers with counter or lower in FM. I use all the shouts, roles and shapes that would help possession on control but nothing seems to make a difference.

That's exactly why Cleon wrote the Art of Possession - to show that possession football is possible with an aggressive Mentality like Control. Before then, everyone was on Defend or Counter to create them.

15 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Maybe that's the issue 'using all the shouts/roles/shapes that allow possession'? You are coming at it from the wrong angle. Any combination can work, but you seems to be suggesting there is a magic formula that guarantees possession, there isn't. The roles/duties still have to work with-in the frame work of your shape. Same with TI's, you don't have to use them to have high amount of possession. You can achieve it without. Maybe all the shouts/roles/duties you try don't suit your set up. Remember its all about the balance of what you are creating. Not every player needs to be focused on possession, not every player needs to be cautious. You need the correct balance for the team as a whole not individuals.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:51, markus_aurelius said:

how to react when the opponent is pressuring you heavily and keeps stealing the ball?

Usually if this is happening you would want to make the pitch as big as possible trying to move the ball about quicker. If you feel your team isn't technically capable of doing that then plan b could always be go more direct. If the opposition is pressing you high  up the pitch the last thing they want is you to hit the front men early as it turns them around and they are suddenly running towards their own goal.

I like a technically gifted squad if I can though so usually I speed up the tempo a bit, try and get the ball to safer areas quicker and eventually all the chasing tires out the opposition and you can capitalise on that.

19 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

That's exactly why Cleon wrote the Art of Possession - to show that possession football is possible with an aggressive Mentality like Control. Before then, everyone was on Defend or Counter to create them.

Yeah that's one of the best threads I have bookmarked although I have had no luck so far on control as of yet using some of those ideas/methods. I don't like to do it but I even tried the exact tactic just to see if that achieved those high possession numbers but it didn't for me. This was just a test though with various different clubs on FM 16.

I'm trying to get one to work in FM17 so have been testing multiple versions of my 41221 (my preferred formation) and also a 4231 but I keep finding myself struggling to get above even 55% which is the lowest I would be happy with. On counter I can achieve these numbers easily but still struggling with control. I don't actually have a permanent save right now, I'm just testing in FM Touch mode atm until I'm happy.

9 hours ago, Cleon said:

Maybe that's the issue 'using all the shouts/roles/shapes that allow possession'? You are coming at it from the wrong angle. Any combination can work, but you seems to be suggesting there is a magic formula that guarantees possession, there isn't. The roles/duties still have to work with-in the frame work of your shape. Same with TI's, you don't have to use them to have high amount of possession. You can achieve it without. Maybe all the shouts/roles/duties you try don't suit your set up. Remember its all about the balance of what you are creating. Not every player needs to be focused on possession, not every player needs to be cautious. You need the correct balance for the team as a whole not individuals.

Thanks. As I said above, I'll keep testing for now until I can come up with something I'm happy with.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Does anyone know why a player playing for years in the same role and/or position doesn't massively have a positive affect the green suitability pie chart?  For example (I'm playing FMT but I suspect it's the same principle) in a rare long term save I have played Manuel Lanzini in a central midfield role as a CM A.  At the start of the game his positional ability as a CM is accomplished but his role suitability as a CM A is unconvincing with the pie chart showing 6 green lights.  After 6 years of playing as a CM A his positional ability as a CM is natural but his role suitability as a CM A has only risen to competent and has only risen to 7 green lights.  He had been fabulous in that role but as a CM A still comes in 4th behind all three playmaker roles despite as I say playing nearly 6 years as a CM A. 

It's happened with quite a few other players as well.  For instance Barbosa plays as a CF for me but despite never playing there for me his full green light role is as an Inside Forward.  I guess it doesn't matter as long as they are playing well and it might be something to do with the fact I leave training to the Assistant but it just gets a bit strange when your coaching staff keep piping up that Lanzini has been playing well in his "new" position etc and yet he has played there for six years?!?!?

The "pie chart" is still just an indicator and goes off attributes. It's not familiarity or anything like that. If there's a particular attribute that he's lacking in, I'd suggest training that specifically to get the "pie chart" fuller, if it's really bugging you. 

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Nah I still can't seem to achieve high possession numbers on control for some reason. Can PPM's have a big impact on possession? Maybe it's my team.

Are you using any TIs or specific PIs, when I play on control and higher mentalities, to achieve high possession numbers I need to either use Roles that encourage ball retention or play with a combination of TIs to achieve that effect. For example, roles that have the option of using less risky passing, and TIs like WBIB and RP. Finally choosing the right shape is vital. 

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

The "pie chart" is still just an indicator and goes off attributes. It's not familiarity or anything like that. If there's a particular attribute that he's lacking in, I'd suggest training that specifically to get the "pie chart" fuller, if it's really bugging you. 

Thanks Hunt3r that's good to know, was just intrigued.

On 8/31/2017 at 01:00, HUNT3R said:

On 8/31/2017 at 04:45, Sussex Hammer said:

Thanks Hunt3r that's good to know, was just intrigued.

I don't think it's entirely attribute based, there is some experience factor in there.

When I first started training Riechedly Bazoer as a Sweeper-Libero, he only had 2-3 slices in the pie chart and obviously nothing in the experience indicator. In a few months, he's up to Accomplished for the experience indicator and has 7 slices in the pie chart, despite very little change to his ratings. They've actually gone down slightly, across the board (except for flair) while he's learning the position.

Or take Ross Barkley, I'm teaching him Striker-Complete Forward. He obviously has the attributes to be at least 7-8 pie slices at pretty much any striker position, but he showed up at 3 when playing Deep-Lying Forward at first and is now up to 4 slices after turning orange (awkward) for experience as a striker.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

I would assume it's something like, without any experience they get 1-3 slices in the pie chart (which might actually be a decent indication of where they can be retrained at - say 3 is a great candidate, 1 isn't). Then the pie chart is fills to the appropriate ratings based number of slices once they have X amount of experience.

It's not just 'ratings' I think footedness might have an impact on certain roles/positions too for the pie chart.

Alex Iwobi, for example is a natural at AML, AMC and AMR. But as an AMR, he only gets 8 slices for Inside Forward. For AML, he gets the full 10 (he's right footed and reasonable with his left foot). For Advanced Playmaker though, he's 8 slices at all 3 positions. However, for Advanced Playmaker as MC, where he's only competent, he gets 6 slices. It's definitely a combination of experience, ratings, footedness, maybe something else I'm missing. Maybe PPMs. Iwobi has runs with ball down the right, cuts inside from both wings, moves into channels, knocks ball past opponent and runs with ball often. Maybe runs with ball down the right makes him less appropriate as an inside forward AMR. Could be the footedness, the PPM or both that costs him the two slices compared with AML.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

4 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I don't think it's entirely attribute based, there is some experience factor in there.

When I first started training Riechedly Bazoer as a Sweeper-Libero, he only had 2-3 slices in the pie chart and obviously nothing in the experience indicator. In a few months, he's up to Accomplished for the experience indicator and has 7 slices in the pie chart, despite very little change to his ratings. They've actually gone down slightly, across the board (except for flair) while he's learning the position.

Or take Ross Barkley, I'm teaching him Striker-Complete Forward. He obviously has the attributes to be at least 7-8 pie slices at pretty much any striker position, but he showed up at 3 when playing Deep-Lying Forward at first and is now up to 4 slices after turning orange (awkward) for experience as a striker.

The pie chart is impacted by positional familiarity.

If your player moved from competent to accomplished, and then natural, the pie chart for any particular position will go up.  But that just means that based on attributes the game figured the player's strongest role at a position is that thing.  You can still get excellent results from a player that is in a "suboptimal" role because that player is great at that role within the context of the tactics and whatnot.

13 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Yeah, maybe I should have been clearer, but your situation is different. Obviously if a player isn't even familiar with the position, that's going to affect it too and that is the case with your sweeper and striker. As they gain position familiarity, their pie chart indicator goes up too.

Sussex's question was about roles only, whereas you have the additional issue of playing a player out of position. Even so, 2-3 slices is just an indicator and in general, if he has the attributes, he'll be fine.

Is also relative to the player.  The game may feel he is best as an Advanced Playmaker, but his attributes could still make him far and away a better B2B midfielder than anyone else on the team, even if another much weaker player has a "full" pie for B2B.

i have big problems, when opponent close down us near our own penalty area. This is stressful for my defenders, they just start to launch useless long balls, what mainly go out of play or be intercepted. This is realy annoying, because i cant build up my attacks. I know, if they push so high to close down us, then they leave space behind, but I dont know how to exploit it!

4-1-2-3 with aggressive pressing always eats me, on short pitch its more painfull

TON3u51.png

typical examples

V7ItsBd.png

HpXTgby.png

it's not the problem of formation, because i always struggle when AI start play in this style :(

i know what i want from my players, but i dont know how to create this movement:

5Gvu835.png

ty.

Edited by narkidarki

In my tactic, both right and left defenders are set to Complete Wing Back-Support.
defence.PNG.4fd65c26e11048089af26c1047bef02e.PNG
What I've noticed though is that, if I change them to Wing Backs, their mentality stays the same (13):
CompleteWingBack.thumb.PNG.b9069900c525029e14a47c8a7d5b37e1.PNGWingBack.thumb.PNG.50af9313445b0c1ae35baa07c8a11595.PNG
Since I experience some problems, I concede goals from counter attacks and it seems that my right+left defenders are responsible for this (most of the times) because they are high up the pitch, would it be wiser to change them to Wing Backs-Support? Also, the TI "Look For Overlap" is enabled (I want it in my tactic). In combination with the PI "Cross From Byline" (check above pictures), it means that they'll have to move higher up the pitch for a cross, right?
In conclusion, to fix my problem:
-Set both to Wing Backs-Support?
-If yes to the above, remove the "Cross from Byline" and just let them decide for themselves?
-If yes to both the above, should I then remove the PI "Fewer Risky Passes", since it interferes with the "Cross More/Less Often" PI? I play with a possession-based tactic, but I still want crosses from my wing backs...

Edited by ilkork

13 minutes ago, Pivot said:

How to put in downloaded filters? And how to check if it works?

Place them here:   C:\Users\User\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\filters
Then once in-game, just load them...

Go, for example, in "Scouting".
On your right, Filters Options->Manage Filters->Import and then select the desired filter.

Edited by ilkork

1 hour ago, ilkork said:

Place them here:   C:\Users\User\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\filters
Then once in-game, just load them...

Go, for example, in "Scouting".
On your right, Filters Options->Manage Filters->Import and then select the desired filter.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, jjtile said:

Question:

"Tempo" only affects your team when they have the ball right? i.e. attacking phase and when your team is transitioning to the attacking phase?

It doesn't alter anything when you're defending, right?

Tempo is how long a player takes to make a decision with the ball, so it cannot affect anything when you don't have it.

7 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Tempo is how long a player takes to make a decision with the ball, so it cannot affect anything when you don't have it.

Cool. That's what I thought.

So what's the downside of playing higher tempo? Is it that decisions are made quicker but that the the quality of the decisions is lower? i.e. does playing at high tempo mean that decisions are made quicker and therefore likely be poorer than they otherwise would be? 

Just now, jjtile said:

Cool. That's what I thought.

So what's the downside of playing higher tempo? Is it that decisions are made quicker but that the the quality of the decisions is lower? i.e. does playing at high tempo mean that decisions are made quicker and therefore likely be poorer than they otherwise would be? 

High (note HIGH, not HIGHER) tempo means obviously that players need to make decisions quicker. So they could make wrong decisions as it's too fast for them. Technically, they also need to be up to it.

The higher tempo instruction is different and is relative to Mentality. It'll just ask players to make decisions a little quicker than they currently are.

Either way, you'll move the ball around quicker, so players will need passing options ready for them and support there as the ball will get forward quicker in all likelihood.

7 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

High (note HIGH, not HIGHER) tempo means obviously that players need to make decisions quicker. So they could make wrong decisions as it's too fast for them. Technically, they also need to be up to it.

The higher tempo instruction is different and is relative to Mentality. It'll just ask players to make decisions a little quicker than they currently are.

Either way, you'll move the ball around quicker, so players will need passing options ready for them and support there as the ball will get forward quicker in all likelihood.

Apologies, should have been clearer - but, yes, I meant when playing at a relatively higher tempo rather than the specific team instructions (which, as you say is only relative to mentality).

Interesting that you mention players moving around to support due to the likelihood of the ball moving forward more quickly. Presumably that's mainly an issue during transitions? I guess that means that tempo can also impact on team condition over the course of a match (as they're repositioning themselves faster as the ball moves around faster during the match)?

1 minute ago, jjtile said:

Apologies, should have been clearer - but, yes, I meant when playing at a relatively higher tempo rather than the specific team instructions (which, as you say is only relative to mentality).

Interesting that you mention players moving around to support due to the likelihood of the ball moving forward more quickly. Presumably that's mainly an issue during transitions? I guess that means that tempo can also impact on team condition over the course of a match (as they're repositioning themselves faster as the ball moves around faster during the match)?

The players won't be moving any quicker than they are. The ball will move around quicker. As the ball moves more, players could  move around more.

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

The players won't be moving any quicker than they are. The ball will move around quicker. As the ball moves more, players could  move around more.

Apologies - I didn't mean that I thought that the higher tempo would directly make players move around more quickly.

Just meant that, in instances where higher tempo results in the ball being transitioned more quickly up the pitch, those players without the ball who are tasked with attacking or support roles would need to move up the pitch more quickly to "keep up" with the ball. And that this would effect their condition over the course of a match. Or is that not right?

Edited by jjtile