Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

If my tactic is set to direct passing and the team is fluid at it. I then switch to short passing either straight from tacticscreen or with shouts during a match. How does this work out? Is the short passing going to be stumbling about because my team are only good at direct? Should I be training parallel tactics with all passing, closing down and tackling styles to be succesful while adapting during a match?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If my tactic is set to direct passing and the team is fluid at it. I then switch to short passing either straight from tacticscreen or with shouts during a match. How does this work out? Is the short passing going to be stumbling about because my team are only good at direct? Should I be training parallel tactics with all passing, closing down and tackling styles to be succesful while adapting during a match?

If you use the shouts its fine. If you actually change the passing via any other method than the shouts then you'll lose familiarity. I learn 3 tactics all the same but with different passing styles etc :)

Can someone please tell me what does the wideplay instruction 'move into channels' do? I have enabled it on my winger and AMC...also, Which wideplay instruction is better for a lone striker "Normal/cut inside/ move into channels"?

Very simply, a player with 'moves into channels' attempts to move into the space between DC and FB of a flat back 4. So, a wide player will move in a bit (probably undiscernable) and a striker will move out wide to try and receive the ball.

As for which on your lone striker it is a matter of preference depending on what you want, how you set up and how they set up. There is no right/wrong answer.

Guest Satchy
Which influences team cohesion more/faster? Default focus team cohesion or match training teamwork?

Match training teamwork is just a small boost before the next game, so team cohesion is what you are looking for.

I'm conceding too many goals in the second half(5 in first half, compared to 11 in the second). i don't tinker with my tactics during half-time..My pep talks are green but as you can see from the screen shot,

2qri.jpg

Also, a lot of these goals are coming from the left flank(is it right flank-RB or LB)? Should i sell santon and buy a more defensive strong LB?Why am i conceding so many goals in second half with the same tactics?

What can I do if opposite team just tackle hard and are playing with a high pressing style?

Some teams can have over 100 times tackle attempts when playing against my team within 90 mins. It caused a serious injuries problem to my team. At least 1 Match for 1 injury. I dont know how to handle this...

What can I do if opposite team just tackle hard and are playing with a high pressing style?

Some teams can have over 100 times tackle attempts when playing against my team within 90 mins. It caused a serious injuries problem to my team. At least 1 Match for 1 injury. I dont know how to handle this...

Maybe try not to run with the ball too often so they won't hold up possession for too long.

I'm conceding too many goals in the second half(5 in first half, compared to 11 in the second). i don't tinker with my tactics during half-time..My pep talks are green but as you can see from the screen shot,

Also, a lot of these goals are coming from the left flank(is it right flank-RB or LB)? Should i sell santon and buy a more defensive strong LB?Why am i conceding so many goals in second half with the same tactics?

How about your left side midfielder? Is he doing enough to help Santon defensively? If it's frequent 2 on 1 situation, Santon can only do so much.

Maybe try not to run with the ball too often so they won't hold up possession for too long.

actually i play with retain possession style. I found that they always tight marking to my player. When my player receive the pass, they will tackle immediately. So i try to set pass into space shout instruction. However, it also not works. Before my player decide the next action after receiving the pass, opposite players just run to in front of my player and sliding tackle to my player without hesitation. I confuse how can they do that.

Guest Satchy
actually i play with retain possession style. I found that they always tight marking to my player. When my player receive the pass, they will tackle immediately. So i try to set pass into space shout instruction. However, it also not works. Before my player decide the next action after receiving the pass, opposite players just run to in front of my player and sliding tackle to my player without hesitation. I confuse how can they do that.

Passing into space when you are being closed down constantly is a good idea, but you need players with good composure, and good creativity/flair. Creative players will see the passing opportunities, and players with flair will be more bold in how they try these moves. But if your players don't have good composure and decisions, and aren't creative, they'll likely just give the ball away. One other thing I find is that if I am playing with a Balanced or Control philosophy and the other team is pressing that heavy, I can switch to Counter and see an improvement.

I have a doubt about DMC partnership in a deep 4-2-3-1. Most people employ a DLP defend and a Defensive Midfield support, but shouldn't the most creative guy and with better passing be the one to link up with the AMC's and the one with better positioning and defensive skills stay back, also bringing more defensive stability ?

I have a doubt about DMC partnership in a deep 4-2-3-1. Most people employ a DLP defend and a Defensive Midfield support, but shouldn't the most creative guy and with better passing be the one to link up with the AMC's and the one with better positioning and defensive skills stay back, also bringing more defensive stability ?

Not really. For eg, the Real Madrid midfield of Khedira and Alonso. Khedira performs like a b2b midfielder bombing up and down because of his high energy/stamina while Alonso sits deeper to provide cross field or long passes that may launch fast counter. If a DLP sits deeper, it will also give him more time to pick a pass as opposition may not close down on him that high up the pitch.

Wonder if anyone can answer this, my passing styles on my two wingers are slightly different, pics will explain more

3465ffm.png

2eauh45.png

Just seems odd that both passing settings are default, so i assumed there passing would be set the same, is there any other tactical reasons they're different ? maybe something i've done in my tactics that's caused this ?

Thanks in advance :)

Did you use shout like retain possession? Or did you save the tactic after using the shout?

Strategy change also affects passing range if I'm not wrong.

Screen shot wasn't taken during a game, so it's not down to shouts, i only just noticed it whilst tweaking a few things, rather strange.

Hey,

I have a problem with my defenders.Everytime they only attack the threatening players in groups...like two or three players go to tackle one player, leaving a lot of space for others.For example, my right DC goes to tackle a striker, after 2 seconds, the DR comes "to help him", leaving the opposite's team left winger alone.Another thing is that strikers pass my defenders like they're not even there.I have a pretty average squad at Real Sporting(SPA) and this happens to every tactic I apply, so I don't think it's because of the instructions.

Also, what would you suggest(style of play) for a team like Real Sporting with no really "star" in the team.

#LE:I also have problems with players passing to the keeper for no reason, and the opposition's strikers intercept the ball.

Screen shot wasn't taken during a game, so it's not down to shouts, i only just noticed it whilst tweaking a few things, rather strange.

Just out of interest, what PPMs do the players have? (I dont think this has anything to do with it really, just never seen it before).

Only the corner instructions differ between players? Sure there is nothing else?

Also, is this a consistent problem? Try moving the left winger to another formation slot and role/duty and then back again and swap him back to a W/Supp and see if the problem is still there.

Wonder if anyone can answer this, my passing styles on my two wingers are slightly different, pics will explain more

3465ffm.png

2eauh45.png

Just seems odd that both passing settings are default, so i assumed there passing would be set the same, is there any other tactical reasons they're different ? maybe something i've done in my tactics that's caused this ?

Thanks in advance :)

It's an interface bug and the screen doesn't always update as it should. If you come out of it completely then go back into it, he should match the other winger. It happens sometimes when you view different players/change strategy etc.

Are you playing on the latest patch? This was a major issue on one of the earlier ones but I thought this had been fixed now.

It's an interface bug and the screen doesn't always update as it should. If you come out of it completely then go back into it, he should match the other winger. It happens sometimes when you view different players/change strategy etc.

Are you playing on the latest patch? This was a major issue on one of the earlier ones but I thought this had been fixed now.

Cheers for your reply, yep i'm playing with the latest patch, but i have been playing this save through several patches (i didn't want to start a new game when patches where released)

It's not a big deal for me, was more curious why the settings where slightly different, ta for explaining Cleon :)

EDIT: FuriousUK - not sure what PPM's the players have atm, not got game up. Will have a look later and see. And as far as i can see the only different settings are the 'Passing' of the two wingers.

how ambition and sportsmanship influence a player? ambition has effect only on player development and makes the player want to join/stay succesful clubs or also influence a player performance on the pitch? same for sportsmanship, where does it influence a player? in development, on the pitch, outside the pitch?

How about your left side midfielder? Is he doing enough to help Santon defensively? If it's frequent 2 on 1 situation, Santon can only do so much.

i think that might be the problem... :( My left winger is the best player in my team and he has to be forward all the time...Anyway heres the formation i use ^^ Any suggestions to improve defensively will be helpful as i cant seem to keep a clean sheet!!! The final score usually is 2-1 in most games.

njo4.jpg

If a player has move into channels as PPM, do you still leave his wideplay with move into channels when choosing a role like Trequartista? I'm asking because i'm not sure how this affect the player move in the pitch. Thanks

His PPM will over-ride the tactical instruction. I dont think there is any way to stop him moving into channels.

It's why specifically training PPM's like that aren't really worthwhile, because they can be set in tactical instructions.

Are there some combinations you should avoid if you have 2/3 strikers in your formation? Such as Target Man and a Poacher, Trequarista and a Defensive Forward, etc.

I doubt so. The best combo is probably 1 on support and 1 attack. That does not include Trequarista who is more of a support player.

i think that might be the problem... :( My left winger is the best player in my team and he has to be forward all the time...Anyway heres the formation i use ^^ Any suggestions to improve defensively will be helpful as i cant seem to keep a clean sheet!!! The final score usually is 2-1 in most games.

njo4.jpg

Only thing i can think of is put Santon on either a Support/Defensive role, i'd try support first. Not sure what else. Maybe Debuchy on support to? That's what i do atm usually with fullbacks and seems to be working.

So I want to try and learn to do tactics on this game properly. I have a team with very limited funds so I'm stuck with what I have. It's technically gifted in midfield and attack, but has poor pace. The defence is above average except for, again, poor pace. Other than pace the only area lacking is heading, though this is only slightly below average rather than bad. So I was wondering how to start basically.

I've often just used plug & play tactics so I'm pretty clueless here. Obviously I'm going to have to play deep due to my defenders lack of pace. However, won't my lack of pace affect any counter-attacking tactic I try to set up? Will a passing game be the wisest course? If I set up a short passing style, how do I exploit my opponents. Thanks.

Guest Satchy
So I want to try and learn to do tactics on this game properly. I have a team with very limited funds so I'm stuck with what I have. It's technically gifted in midfield and attack, but has poor pace. The defence is above average except for, again, poor pace. Other than pace the only area lacking is heading, though this is only slightly below average rather than bad. So I was wondering how to start basically.

I've often just used plug & play tactics so I'm pretty clueless here. Obviously I'm going to have to play deep due to my defenders lack of pace. However, won't my lack of pace affect any counter-attacking tactic I try to set up? Will a passing game be the wisest course? If I set up a short passing style, how do I exploit my opponents. Thanks.

How to Play FM13 A Twelve Step Guide

Important Links Thread (scroll down just a bit)

A Twelve Step Guide Towards Playing FM13 and Understanding the ME

Definitely make your way through the threads in the stickies as you're playing, they will help you get a really rounded understanding of how tactics work in FM (and in real-life too!).

Keep it simple to start off with. Getting a handle on tactics and squad selection etc in FM isn't immediately easy, but is very very rewarding when you get it right, and fun.

Short passing might be your best option but it is often difficult to get right. A lack of pace on the counter is a potential problem but if you had someone strong enough to hold up the ball then moving it forwards quickly might still be a good idea.

When you've got something together and given it a go for a while feel free to start a thread with your questions/findings. Loads of very knowledgable people around.

I play a 4-5-1, very rigid, attacking style, short passing game. The problem is my striker, I don't know which role I should set him up. I want him to be a part of the game, but I want him to score too! Actually he scores but not that much (8 goals on 20 games) and don't take part in the build up play. ( 3 assist, and he makes only 20-25 pass per game). He's set at Complete Forward on support duty.

Any help?

I play with Bilbao, and my striker is Iker Muniain

I play a 4-5-1, very rigid, attacking style, short passing game. The problem is my striker, I don't know which role I should set him up. I want him to be a part of the game, but I want him to score too! Actually he scores but not that much (8 goals on 20 games) and don't take part in the build up play. ( 3 assist, and he makes only 20-25 pass per game). He's set at Complete Forward on support duty.

Any help?

Complete forward support is a role tailor-made for Muniain. Does he have enough support? If you want him to create you need players looking to get into the box and score, so a couple of attacking roles from midfield are necessary, as well as a few creative players (like Ander Herrera) creating chances for himself and others. Usually when one player is underachieving despite having the right attributes for the role he's playing you should first look at the players around him.

Complete forward support is a role tailor-made for Muniain. Does he have enough support? If you want him to create you need players looking to get into the box and score, so a couple of attacking roles from midfield are necessary, as well as a few creative players (like Ander Herrera) creating chances for himself and others. Usually when one player is underachieving despite having the right attributes for the role he's playing you should first look at the players around him.

I have a Winger (Attack) in AMR, Susaeta and in AML I have Ibai Gomez in a IF Support role. Ander Herrera in my advance playmaker in the MCL position. Benat is in the MCR position with a Box to Box role.

Off course I want him to create but I want him to score too. I know he fits perfectly in that role but I can't get him to play well.

Any help?

How about using the Trequartista role? He drops deeper than CF support.

As for scoring, what's his finishing and composure?

As for roles, I will swap it over. Winger on supp and IF on attack. Winger on support makes him more unpredictable as his wideplay is normal. So he can either play like a winger and IF at the same time.

I have a Winger (Attack) in AMR, Susaeta and in AML I have Ibai Gomez in a IF Support role. Ander Herrera in my advance playmaker in the MCL position. Benat is in the MCR position with a Box to Box role.

Off course I want him to create but I want him to score too. I know he fits perfectly in that role but I can't get him to play well.

Looking at it that way there's four players behind with RFD on 'mixed', and one on 'often' but he's set to hug the touchline. I'd give your opponents' defence something else to worry about by either putting an additional midfielder on attack duty (say, Benat as CM(a)) or as Vasilli07 suggested, keeping the winger on support and the IF on attack. This won't just allow him to create more, it will prevent both centrebacks from marking him out of the game as they have to take care of other players making runs into the box.

And last but not least, if you find you're creating enough chances but not for Muniain, consider changing his duty to attack. A CF(a) will still be involved plenty in build-up play - especially with his PPM's - but his RFD settings would get him on the end of through balls more often. However, remember that his finishing is slightly on the low side at the beginning of the game, so some extra training may be required to turn him into a reliable goalscorer.

When you guys decide to whether or not use offside trap, do you only look at CB attributes or also from FB's (if you use them of course)? Because when i read something about offside trap, everyone only write about CB attributes and i think that if using a flat back 4, all of them should have the necessary attributes for it.

When you guys decide to whether or not use offside trap, do you only look at CB attributes or also from FB's (if you use them of course)? Because when i read something about offside trap, everyone only write about CB attributes and i think that if using a flat back 4, all of them should have the necessary attributes for it.

I don't think I've ever played the offside trap but I'd look at everybody across the backline. In real life it's normally FBs who aren't great defenders who end up playing players on (possibly concentration/fatigue?) so I'd look at all of em.

Also the GK as I guess an offside trap would work best with a sweeper keeper, although given that your average FM regen GK has a teamwork value of <5 I'd say it's questionnable whether its something to consider in FM.

Guest Satchy
I don't think I've ever played the offside trap but I'd look at everybody across the backline. In real life it's normally FBs who aren't great defenders who end up playing players on (possibly concentration/fatigue?) so I'd look at all of em.

Also, if you get caught using the offside trap, watch the replays to see who was at fault, then check their attributes. It can help you get to the root of it.