Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Hi everyone

After many years of mid table mediocrity and underachieving (at least it was realistic) I decided to try the tactics forum to get some tips.

I used to always change my formation between home and away matches. After reading the posts on here the general view seemed to be that a consistent formation is best with tactics being adjusted for differences in opposition.

My question is, if I move one player into a slightly different position (for example: moving a wing back to a standard full back) does it unsettle the whole team or just that one player?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give me any tips on gaining a little more possesion, i'm averaging 44% - 56% against and not sure what to tweak in order to gain more time with the ball.

I'm using classic tactics for the record, so shouts are out.

To gain more possession in X system when you have the ball what you want to tweak is Creativity, otherwise known as vision. There are other tactical options you can tweak, tempo for better evaluation of decisions or mentality for reduced passing risk or passing style for an increased bias towards possession, but there is nothing that so vastly improves passing in one fell swoop as Creativity. When it comes to knocking the ball about Creativity utterly demolishes every single other feature/mechanic/attribute in the game as far as I am concerned.

To gain more possession in X system without the ball is trickier because there is no sole attribute that has an effect equivalent to Creativity. The key is winning the ball back.

The first thing you want is a good shape, and the 4-2-3-1 is not the "big match" formation of choice in the real world by accident. 4-2-3-1 is a great defensive shape. In the context of winning the ball back it allows you to press the ball while still maintaining control of key areas of the pitch.

The second is to press well. In the 4-2-3-1 this is near automatic. You don't have to understand the theory behind the 4-2-3-1 to get it to press well, but it helps.

The third thing is to play a tackling game that is in tune with the opponent and the ref. This means hard tackling when the ref is lenient or the opponent is playing a quick game that makes demands of their players accuracy and control, or light tackling when the ref is harsh or the opponent is playing to waste time or a game that is easy for their players to receive and to pass.

The final thing is the all important, utterly key area of attributes. Anticipation when defending is not up for debate, positioning is crucial, workrate a must. High values for Tackling and Marking can never be over-valued. Acceleration and Strength are huge helps as well. And don't under-estimate how useful a high Jump and accurate Heading can be for turning defence into attack.

The third thing is to play a tackling game that is in tune with the opponent and the ref. This means hard tackling when the ref is lenient or the opponent is playing a quick game that makes demands of their players accuracy and control, or light tackling when the ref is harsh or the opponent is playing to waste time or a game that is easy for their players to receive and to pass.

I don't quite grasp the part about tempo and tackling level. Why should you aim to tackle hard when the opposition is playing with a quick tempo? I can understand wanting to break up the play but wouldn't you risk having your players commit themselves too easily and leave space for the opposition to attack or is that why you should be more careful/use light tackling when the opposition play with a slower tempo - so your players don't commit themselves and get drawn out of position?

Also, can someone confirm this: if I have a player with CA 150 and I play him in a position where he is rated at 16/20, i.e. accomplished, is his CA limited to 120 when played in that position?

I don't quite grasp the part about tempo and tackling level. Why should you aim to tackle hard when the opposition is playing with a quick tempo? I can understand wanting to break up the play but wouldn't you risk having your players commit themselves too easily and leave space for the opposition to attack

It's not an absolute rule and there will be teams you play against that use a high tempo and are capable of dribbling past your tackles and opening you up so use your judgement. The point I was making is that when the opposition play at a higher tempo they give themselves less time to make good decisions and to execute moves well, giving you more of an opportunity to get your foot to the ball first.

In my own save I use light tackling to start a match as the opposition tend to play to timewaste, draw fouls and defend against me. As soon as I score a goal I switch to Hard Tackling as the opponent is going to come and try and get a goal back, which means they will play with a higher tempo and take more risks with their passing. Hard Tackling means not only will I stop the opponent by fair or foul means from getting forward, but I'm going to take more risks with my Tackling at the same time as the opponent is taking more risks with their possession football which should in theory result in a far greater quantity of possession turnovers in my favour.

or is that why you should be more careful/use light tackling when the opposition play with a slower tempo - so your players don't commit themselves and get drawn out of position?

I'm giving examples of how to make your own judgements, not hard and fast rules. You can't base your Tackling strategy purely on Tempo but Tempo is a major factor to take into account when deciding upon your Tackling strategy.

What you say above is certainly true but the other side of the coin is that the opponent has more time on the ball to make good choices and execute clean moves, so you might want to get right into their faces. Light Tackling in this context will protect you from being skinned or from being drawn into a foul but maybe the opponent isn't trying to draw fouls and is very poor with the ball when faced with a physical confrontation.

With that in mind when facing a good side playing a low-ish tempo you might want to opt for a Light Tackling Strategy for your team, but select Hard Tackling OI's for the main opponent playmaker and the opponent players with poor First Touch and Dribbling.

I'm basically trying to tell you to be aware of the Tackling Game, of the very large role your Tackling choice plays in the match. Which choice is "best" depends on a huge quantity of factors, but that aspect of the tactical to-and-fro is very important.

Thanks, SFraser. I've a better idea of where you're coming from now and I'll go back and look at my tactics from a fresh angle. It's an area I hadn't given much thought beyond the ref's dispostion and whether I was playing a pressing game with a high defensive line and looking to win the ball back quickly or sitting deep and not wanting to concede fouls around the box.

I've been using classic tactics for FM10 and i'm completely out of touch on what sliders the shouts make changes too (apart from the obvious ones of course)

So now FM11 is upon us i've decided to try and create something from the wonderful tactics creator and use the shouts, but i'm in need of a guide to maybe give me an idea what sliders the shouts actually change, anyone got a guide or know of one i can read up on ?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

To gain more possession in X system when you have the ball what you want to tweak is Creativity, otherwise known as vision. There are other tactical options you can tweak, tempo for better evaluation of decisions or mentality for reduced passing risk or passing style for an increased bias towards possession, but there is nothing that so vastly improves passing in one fell swoop as Creativity. When it comes to knocking the ball about Creativity utterly demolishes every single other feature/mechanic/attribute in the game as far as I am concerned.

Not the experience I have at all. There are two key attributes for possession: passing and decisions. I've experimented quite a lot with getting possession football to work, and raising passing and decision always increases both possession and pass completion averages. Raising or lowering creativity has little to no impact in that department.

I've been using classic tactics for FM10 and i'm completely out of touch on what sliders the shouts make changes too (apart from the obvious ones of course)

So now FM11 is upon us i've decided to try and create something from the wonderful tactics creator and use the shouts, but i'm in need of a guide to maybe give me an idea what sliders the shouts actually change, anyone got a guide or know of one i can read up on ?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Can anyone help with the above quote ?

Sorted, i found a nice guide from FM10.

Could you list the shouts and perhaps we can discuss what we think they should do? I hate spoon fed info. personally.

Here you go, all credit to the guy from FM-Britain for this guide.

The touchline instructions will be a new powerful tool for you throughout your FM10 career. The effects can be dramatic and can modify your game plan to suit specific threats posed by particular opponents at particular times. This can provide very powerful changes with minimal manual tweaking of the sliders.

These changes can be exploited to ensure you turn those losses into draws and those draws into wins. Yet, with poor planning they can also have the opposite effect. The key question for many players will be when to switch and when to stick – and of course how to judge it all.

Each of the shouts is listed here along with what they do to your tactics and some brief discussion as to when it is best to use them.

Passing Length Modifiers

Retain Possession

Effect: Instructs the team to try to hold on to the ball rather than making rushed long passes.

Action: Shortens passing length, slows tempo.

Useful: When struggling to hold on to possession; when having low pass completion percentage; to keep the ball from the opposition when leading to hold on to a lead.

Get Ball Forward

Effect: Instructs the team to get the ball up to the forward line quickly to put pressure on the opposition.

Action: Increases passing length, increases tempo.

Useful: When not penetrating the opposition; when having high possession and/or pass completion rates but few good shots; when needing a goal later in the game; when playing on a large pitch.

Try Through Ball Modifiers

Pass Into Space

Effect: Instructs the team to play the ball in front of the receiving player so that he can run on to it and create space for attacks.

Action: Increases try through balls.

Useful: When not penetrating the oppositions; when having high possession and/or pass completion rates but few good shots; when playing against a side with far less acceleration or pace than your own.

Pass To Feet

Effect: Instructs the team to make passes directly to a player rather than in front of him so he can run on to it.

Action: Reduces try through balls.

Useful: When struggling to gain high enough possession or pass completion percentages; when many passes are being intercepted; when your team has far less acceleration or pace than the opposition.

Passing Length and Direction Modifiers

Pump Ball Into Box

Effect: Instructs the team to play long balls in to the opposition penalty area to try to get an advantage.

Action: Large increase in passing length but decrease in try through balls for defenders and defensive midfielders, tells players to play with less wide play, makes full backs and wingers hold up the ball, increases forward runs for forwards, sets maximum crossing for full backs, focus passing through the centre.

Useful: When needing a goal late on in the game; when possessing taller and/or stronger forwards than the opposition defenders.

Clear Ball To Flanks

Effect: Instructs the team to clear the ball to the flanks in order to reduce the possible danger.

Action: Large increase in passing length but decrease in try through balls for defenders and defensive midfielders, tells players to play with more wide play, focus passing to the wings.

Useful: When trying to hold on to a lead late on in the game; when the opposition is countering through the centre; when possessing quick wingers who are good on the counter attack.

Long Shots Modifiers

Shoot On Sight

Effect: Instructs the team to take the opportunity to shoot whenever they get anywhere near to the goal.

Action: Increases try long shots.

Useful: When playing against a side who are “parking the bus”; when struggling to get any shots in at all; when needing a goal at all costs.

Work Ball Into Box

Effect: Instructs the team to only shoot once they get close to the goal.

Action: Decreases try long shots.

Useful: When shooting far too much from range; when creating a lot of shots but few clear cut chances; when playing with a team who are poor at shooting from range.

Pass Direction Modifiers

Exploit The Flanks

Effect: Instructs the team to play the ball out wide in order to try to play the ball down the wings.

Action: Focus passing down the wings, increases forward runs, crossing and mentality for full backs and wing backs, increased wide play for wing players, central midfielders hold up ball.

Useful: When the opposition are flooding the centre; when playing with good wide players; when playing with a team who are good at crossing; when playing on a wide pitch.

Exploit The Middle

Effect: Instructs the team to play the ball through the middle of the field.

Action: Focus passing through the centre, increased mentality and try through balls for defenders and defensive midfield players, decrease forward runs for wide players, increase forward runs for non-defensive central players in midfield and attack, decrease wide play for wing players.

Useful: When not playing with any wider players; when the opposition are leaving gaps in the middle of the field; when playing with a strong side with good central players; when playing on a narrow pitch.

Run Modifiers

Look For Overlap

Effect: Tells deeper wide players to run beyond the wide midfielders to offer more passing options and crossing opportunities.

Action: Increases mentality, more crossing, cross from further up the field and maximum forward runs for full backs and wing backs, hold up ball and decrease of mentality, forward runs and run with ball for wide midfielders, attacking midfielders and forwards, reduces wide play for wing players.

Useful: When using excellent attacking full backs and needing extra penetration down the wings; when needing more passing options in the final third; when playing against a side who are weak or undermanned down the flanks.

Take A Breather

Effect: Allows the team to slow the pace of the game down to conserve energy.

Action: Decrease forward runs, decrease tempo.

Useful: To try and slow the pace of the game when playing in very hot conditions; to keep players fit when well in the lead; to calm the game down before radically increasing the tempo and catching the opposition cold.

Width Modifiers

Play Wider

Effect: Instruct the team to play with more width.

Action: Increases width, focus passing down both flanks.

Useful: When the opposition is attacking down the wings; when the opposition is flooding the centre of the field; when needing more space to break down the opposition; when playing on a narrow pitch.

Play Narrower

Effect: Instructs the side to tighten up through the centre.

Action: Decreases width, focus passing through the centre.

Useful: When the opposition is attacking through the centre; when the opposition is leaving holes in the centre; when needing to keep the game tight and reducing space for the opposition; when playing on a wide pitch.

Defensive Line Modifiers

Push Higher Up

Effect: Tells the defence to push higher up the field when in possession.

Action: Increases defensive line height, increase closing down.

Useful: When playing against slow strikers; when playing against a team sitting deep; when needing to reduce the space of the opposition.

Drop Deeper

Effect: Tells the defence to sag further back when in possession.

Action: Decreases the defensive line height, lower closing down.

Useful: When playing against quicker strikers; when playing against a team pushing up; when looking for more space with a team packing the midfield and defence.

Closing Down Modifiers

Hassle Opponents

Effect: Instructs the team to close down the opposition and reduce the space available.

Action: Vastly increases closing down settings, changes marking to tight-man, increases tempo.

Useful: When needing to regain possession quickly; when playing against a slow, technically inferior team; when needing to reduce space for the opposition.

Stand-Off Opponents

Effect: Instructs the team to hold back from the opposition and try to direct them away from danger.

Action: Vastly decreases closing down settings, changes marking to loose-zonal, decreases tempo.

Useful: When playing against a quick, technically superior team; when needing to hold team defensive shape; when looking for more space to break down a team who refuse to come out of their own half.

Tackling Intensity Modifiers

Get Stuck In

Effect: Instructs the team to tackle hard to regain possession.

Action: Increases tackling intensity to hard.

Useful: When needing to regain possession quickly; when playing against a team with little bravery; when not getting a high enough tackles completed percentage.

Stay on Feet

Effect: Instructs the team to only make tackles when they are definitely “on”.

Action: Decreases tackling intensity to easy, except for the “ball winning midfielder”.

Useful: When conceding too many free kicks; when looking to hold defensive shape; when playing against very quick players good at riding a tackle.

Extreme Shouts

The following shouts are only available when playing the contain or overload strategies.

Play Even Safer

Effect: Tells the team to play even more defensively when using the contain strategy.

Action: Sets forward runs and try through balls to minimum for all players except forwards, decreases run with ball.

Useful: Late on in a game when facing an onslaught.

Take More Risks

Effect: Tell the team to be even more gung-ho when using the overload strategy.

Action: Sets forward runs to maximum for support players, through balls to maximum for all players, increases run with ball.

Useful: Late on in a game when absolutely desperate for a goal

I have a stupid question, so I think it's in the right thread.

Every time I enter the Tactics for my team, it defaults to show me the instructions of a player that I tweaked on the right of the player names, and I would like to see formation next to them like in old FM's how to change that?

I have a stupid question, so I think it's in the right thread.

Every time I enter the Tactics for my team, it defaults to show me the instructions of a player that I tweaked on the right of the player names, and I would like to see formation next to them like in old FM's how to change that?

I want to know the answer also for this stupid question;)! ???

My full backs (Coentrao and Kelly (Johnson's been injured for the last couple months) are constantly getting caught out by opposition wingers, it's probably my only downfall at the minute and I'm not sure how to stop it. For example, look at this goal scored by City;

[video=youtube;_VKmMxPmED0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKmMxPmED0

I learnt to get goal side of the opposition in primary school, so why does Coentrao, who has all the attributes so be an absolute world class left back get caught out in this free-kick? Should I decide to man mark against great wingers like Silva and Johnson?

Also, under what basis do you select your penalty takers? Solely on the 'Penalty Taking' attribute or do you look further at the Composure etc? For example, Arturo Vidal is my prime Penalty Taker with a stat of 18- what else should I be looking at? Composure, Decisions, Concentration? All of which are 14. I ask because he's only scored 2 out of 5. :S

He will move forward when it is appropriate.

This question just occurred to me. If a player has mentality of 20 and run from deep often, will he take the position of the 20 mentality and run forward from that? Or will he run from deep to the 20 position later to attack the ball?

I'm thinking the mentality will effect his defensive position and the run from deep his attacking position.

Is there a way to go "watch" players you are interested in? Like how the AI managers will show up to your matches sometimes.
You could always attend the game, as long as your club are not playing that day.

Click the 'v' in the players team fixture of the game you want to attend and off you go, if he's on your shortlist the commentator may even give you a mention.

Seems like this is the best place to post this:

Just got FM11 and about to start a game. Just wondering what you think the best league/country set up is to maximize options but also have a match that doesn't really slow down.

Has anyone released or designed a good 4-4-2 formation using the classic slider settings since fm 11?

I have two different versions that I use for home and away, the away sometimes changing to a 4-1-3-2 when defending a lead.

I'm at work at the moment but I'll post them when I get in.

I hardly ever use the wizard to create my tactics, I prefer to have more control, although I did pinch the Anchor man attributes from it as I found when using this on the wizard my player did exactly what I wanted him to, in a De Jong of City role, chasing all across the back line and pressuring anyone who came near our goal with the ball. Provided excellent support to my defenders who could concentrate on marking their forwards rather than trying to win the ball, which is why I switch to it when holding a lead in the last 10 minutes, completely eradicates (ok not completely but cuts down drastically) the '10 minute comeback' from opposition.

The 4-4-2 home tactic relies heavily on wingers and a good DM/M AM/M combo as I like to have my more attacking midfielder run from deep often in a lampard style. It helps to have a natural AM/M in this position as the stats he needs, like knocking through balls, arriving late into the box etc. are AM stuff, although I prefer him to play a bit further back when we're defending.

Seems like this is the best place to post this:

Just got FM11 and about to start a game. Just wondering what you think the best league/country set up is to maximize options but also have a match that doesn't really slow down.

What do you mean by "maximize options" and " have a match that doesn't really slow down"? Can you clarify these a bit?

The English Premier League is the top ranked league in the world, if that's what you're looking for.

Ive just come back to FM after 3 years of warcraft and d/l'd a training schedule to help me get going. My stupid question is, do I ever alternate the players training ie get defenders to spend a week or two on the midfield schedule, to improve all round attributes or just keep them on one schedule?

What do you mean by "maximize options" and " have a match that doesn't really slow down"? Can you clarify these a bit?

The English Premier League is the top ranked league in the world, if that's what you're looking for.

Sorry. What I meant is that in the past, I want to play a career game and have as many leagues as I can w/o the game getting really slow (which it does).

A few quick and silly questions.

1. What numbers am I supposed to look for in attributes of key skills at say:

English Premier League

Championship

League 1

League 2

Blue Square Premier

Blue Square North/South

2. Does anyone know the attributes staff need to get 5 stars in each training category?

3. What attributes am I supposed to look for in an assistant manager?

I have the stupidest question of all. One that I have had ever since I first started playing FM.

On the match screen, what does that bar at the bottom signify? You know, the one that keep flicking left and right. All I know is that it represents your team and the opponent, but I never figured out what exactly it shows.

I just know it will be something super obvious...

I have the stupidest question of all. One that I have had ever since I first started playing FM.

On the match screen, what does that bar at the bottom signify? You know, the one that keep flicking left and right. All I know is that it represents your team and the opponent, but I never figured out what exactly it shows.

I just know it will be something super obvious...

I can answer this one. It's the possession from the last five minutes.

why is it so hard???

i have started 5 games with Newcastle, been sacked in January in every single one! concede too many and dont score (dont even create - only have like 2 shots per game!!). Its supposed to be a game, not be as stressful as being a real manager.

As promised, the home version of my 4-4-2 tactic, give it a bash, it's been tested with a LL team (Port Vale). I've never tested it with a high rep team as I prefer to build my teams up from the lower reaches but this has managed to get me promotion in two successive seasons without changing the playing squad from start.

http://www.filefront.com/17515010/4-4-2_City_Slickers (Port Vale, Nov 2011).tac

If I want to have my assistant manager do the team talks, which stats should he have to be good at it? I'm guessing Motivating, but what else?

Motivation as high as you can get. 18+ with bigger clubs if you can. Determination and discipline are useful too, so as high as you can with those. If you want selection assistance, help with opposition instructions and good advice during matches with "feedback", then man management, tactical knowledge and judging player ability are also important.

Essentially, a good assistant manager can be both very helpful with the motivational and tactical side of the game, whilst also a good learning tool, to look at why they make the suggestions they do.

Probably been answered but is there a post anywhere explaining what attributes each different training category effects in FM11?
Agreed.

Is it the same as FM10, with DDM being the main focus to getting a 5 star coach?

Determination

Discipline

Motivation

"DDM" as it's often referred to as here, is extremely useful for any and all of the training categories. As a starting point, look for attributes of at least 10 in each if you can get them.

As for the rest:

GK Shot Stopping and GK Handling = DDM + Goalkeeping

Strength and Aerobic = DDM + Fitness

Tactics = DDM + Tactical. (Not to be confused with Tactical Knowledge, which although useful, is mainly for "advice" coaches offer, rather than training players.)

Ball Control = DDM + Mental & Technical

Defending = DDM + Defending & Tactical

Attacking = DDM + Attacking & Tactical

Shooting = DDM + Attacking & Technical

Obviously the higher the "suited" attributes are for each training focus area, the higher their star rating will be. I can't remember the minimum number requirements for each to give a 5-star coach, but it's been quoted a few times on the forums.

Finding 5-star coaches and getting them to your club is extremely difficult, some would say impossible, unless you've edited things. There are coaches that would give a 5-star rating for each area available on the database though I believe, so it's just a case of finding them and getting them ;)

For the most part though, it really isn't the end of the world if you don't have 5-star coaches, or even 4-star coaches for each focus area. Sure, they can help a little, but more important are your facilities and most of all, match experience, when it comes to developing players.

How can i setup decent wingplay? In my experience, playing wide, with wingers and/or crossing is bugged. All my tactics have been much more effective with narrow through-the-middle play with lots of through balls.

Please help cause as a dutch manager, i cannot go without wings!

Certain members of my team are used to closing down more or playing at an higher tempo

I cant seem to find the slider options on players only my team does this mean I can only adjust team settings or can i adjust player settings for these

Can someone advise me where to find them in tactics.

When im in windowed version and looking at coaches i can't seem to see all area for a coach to coach in. I can see these areas when i go to change their area (Strength, Aerobic, GK - Shot stopping, GK - Handling, Tactics, Ball control, Defending) and it cuts off, there no scroll bar. Anyway to make the box bigger? so i can see all options?

coacht.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stupid question from my spurs save....

I am wondering is there anything I can do when i look at my assistants feedback before a match and to stop my players from being over confident, cocky, thinking the game is won just for turning up etc? This seems to be a problem in certain games when we are on a good run, is there anything i can do?

Also when i get my backroom meetings i seem to always get either or both of 'We become complacent when playing teams with a lower reputation' and 'We become overawed by teams with greater reputation'.

I couldn't see any threads on it so thought i better ask in here. Thanks in advance.

I have a really stupid question - after creating my training schedules and exporting them, their order of arrangement is always messed up - I create them so Goalkeeper is at the top, and the Forward schedules are at the bottom of the list. However, when I export them, and import them in a different save, the order is flipped apart from the 1st schedule. So The Fast ST, Targetmen schedules are 2nd and 3rd from the top now, yet Goalkeeper remains at the very top of the list. When I downloaded SK training schedules from FM Fanboys however, it clearly imports in the original order, with GKs at the top, followed by Centerbacks, Fullbacks etc.

Just to test, I selected all the schedules from SK's training, and exported them into a separate 'A'.tsh. When I cleared all the schedules and then imported 'A', the order was messed up again, leading me to believe it is the way I select my schedules for exporting. I basically just press Cmd+A to select all, then export into one file.

How can I solve this problem and have them listed the way they were meant to? It's purely cosmetic, but it's heaps annoying to see 'Att. Mids', 'Wingers', 'Widemen' etc. in descending order afterwards on the schedule list.

For example, if you give Fabregas a Free Role don't expect him to support your team from deep, because his positional sense is low, especially compared to his attacking movement off-the-ball. However if you give Carrick a Free Role, do expect him to support your team from deep. His high Teamwork and high Positioning means that he will constantly be taking up excellent supporting deep positions relative to your attack.

Let's make another example. If I remember right Fabregas has a positive Free Role value (13 or whatever).

Is in your theory better to give free role to a poor positional player like Fabregas (well, poor... ehehehe) or to a Carrick-like (assuming Carrick doesn't have free role of course) which has better "basic" attributes?