Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been tackled before but I have not stumbled on it, I have inherited a Wolves squad on my career game (dream job...my team!) who have central defenders who are very good technically and mentally but lack pace, 9 and 11 ratings with slow acceleration.

Does this limit me to having to play a Defensive/Counter mentality to maintain a deeper defensive line? Is it still possible to try and impose myself on a weaker team with a more attacking mentality without leaving a big gap between my defense and midfield? I don't have a real problem with playing more defensively as I have fast wingers but I worry about needing to dominate smaller teams who start more cautiously against me!

I set up with either a flat 4-4-2 or a narrow diamond of the same formation type with the two CD's as bog standard CD(D) no stopper or cover duties are applied

Dan

Anyone bar me still suffering the inability to import a tactic "in match" unless you go to the tactic archive? The drop down menu should show your tactics in both the in-match and standard tactics screens yet they don't appear in match. I reported it as a bug and it was agreed it was an issue but even after the hotfix it is still an issue. It's awkward if you tinker in match and want to then revert to your starting tactic.

With all respect I think you over-think things and always change too much. You have an idea or panic and do massive wholesale changes and never really get to the bottom of the issue that you was having. At least that's what I get from your posts over the last 3 or 4 years. Small changes work better. Plus you and a few others tend to think all opposition are the same, at least in the way you talk about them. Winning 6-1 at home doesn't really tell us much about anything other than that game. If the team is open and attacking you then it makes it easier for you to attack them because the opposition naturally create space for you. The harder more stubborn sides don't do this so then it falls onto your own tactics and relies on those for creating the space. This is the issue 90% of people who post on here suffer, they don't differentiate between the different types of issues against weaker and stronger sides.

The thread I linked explains more about this though.

I have taken note and must add my thanks. Since this I have played 3 and won 3 including a most recent come back from one down away at Newcastle to win 2-1. I have started to watch more what is happening (even on extended highlights) and it seems to be working. I start with a 4231 with two DM's and three in the AM strata which didn't work for me in FM14, a standard mentality and only two TI's. Then depending on how things were going I change.

Newcastle was perfect example. They were one up and camping around my box. So I pushed up defensive line to get my players closer together and eventually got back to 1-1. Smelling blood I gambled and went attacking and got another. Because they were dominant in and around my box but with little pace up top I stayed high but went back to standard as I felt that a deeper line (eg contain or counter) would just play into their hands. Saw the game out 2-1.

So cheers Cleon as I am starting to adapt to the different ways the opposition play rather than a one size fits all approach. It's only taken me 10 years!!

I have taken note and must add my thanks. Since this I have played 3 and won 3 including a most recent come back from one down away at Newcastle to win 2-1. I have started to watch more what is happening (even on extended highlights) and it seems to be working. I start with a 4231 with two DM's and three in the AM strata which didn't work for me in FM14, a standard mentality and only two TI's. Then depending on how things were going I change.

Newcastle was perfect example. They were one up and camping around my box. So I pushed up defensive line to get my players closer together and eventually got back to 1-1. Smelling blood I gambled and went attacking and got another. Because they were dominant in and around my box but with little pace up top I stayed high but went back to standard as I felt that a deeper line (eg contain or counter) would just play into their hands. Saw the game out 2-1.

So cheers Cleon as I am starting to adapt to the different ways the opposition play rather than a one size fits all approach. It's only taken me 10 years!!

I know my tone isn't always the best and I probably (definitely) come across as a complete **** at times but its only because its hard to get people to see things differently or be open minded. I only post on here because I actually like helping people and I think its only fair I give back and try and help those who are struggling. I find being blunt to be the best method rather than skirting around questions I may aswell just say it like it is as its more helpful to the user in the long run. So I apologise if you felt I was being a knob :D

It sounds like you've stripped things back and looking at the game in a different way now. It might seem slow at first but as you get used to it you'll know what's going to happen before it even happens due to you picking up patterns or understanding your own shape. So don't be put off with how slow it seems at first. I'm pleased you seem to be having success :). I'm always happy to help those who have time to learn like yourself :)

I always think like this;

The shape is how you want to be when defending.

The roles define how the players react

The duties determine how far from their original position they'll stray

The individual instructions are for refining roles to give you something the role doesn't allow or for getting a player to behave a certain way

The TI's are extremes and can be used to create a particular style. Or use them as tools to try and turn a game around

For me its that simple. As a rule I keep PI's and TI's to a minimum and to change a game around I tend to alter mentality rather than use shouts. If I see something extremely worrying happening then I might make a role change but it's very rare I use shouts at all.

Basic = more for me :)

Dumb question but any ideas how I get the relative positioning and movement of an Attacking Forward (aggressive runs into channels, all around contribution) and a Shadow Striker (more central late box presence) from players in the opposite positions on the pitch? As in an AF-A at AMC and a SS-A at STC.

Playing first pre-season friendlies and I'm getting the right goals from my 4-4-1-1 but it's the wrong player assisting the wrong goalscorer. I don't think Gylfi's scoring these headers in the Premier League.

I know my tone isn't always the best and I probably (definitely) come across as a complete **** at times but its only because its hard to get people to see things differently or be open minded. I only post on here because I actually like helping people and I think its only fair I give back and try and help those who are struggling. I find being blunt to be the best method rather than skirting around questions I may aswell just say it like it is as its more helpful to the user in the long run. So I apologise if you felt I was being a knob :D

It sounds like you've stripped things back and looking at the game in a different way now. It might seem slow at first but as you get used to it you'll know what's going to happen before it even happens due to you picking up patterns or understanding your own shape. So don't be put off with how slow it seems at first. I'm pleased you seem to be having success :). I'm always happy to help those who have time to learn like yourself :)

I always think like this;

The shape is how you want to be when defending.

The roles define how the players react

The duties determine how far from their original position they'll stray

The individual instructions are for refining roles to give you something the role doesn't allow or for getting a player to behave a certain way

The TI's are extremes and can be used to create a particular style. Or use them as tools to try and turn a game around

For me its that simple. As a rule I keep PI's and TI's to a minimum and to change a game around I tend to alter mentality rather than use shouts. If I see something extremely worrying happening then I might make a role change but it's very rare I use shouts at all.

Basic = more for me :)

No need to apologise. I can be defensive at times and a tad argumentative but appreciate advice and it would be a boring forum if everyone had the same opinion!!

Can I just ask what you think of my shape?

------------------CF A------------------

W S--------------AM S-------------RMD A

--------------AM D----BWM S---------

WB A------CD D--------CD D------WB S

-------------------GK D----------------

mentality - various

shape - fluid

Starting TI's - Close Down More - Prevent Short GK Dist.

Starting PI's - Tighter Marking on Wing Backs.

Close down more is just a personal preference. I am also aware that supporting roles defend better than attacking ones hence the WS ahead of the WB A and the AM S. Yep I guess there aren't many creators in there so hence the fluid shape. I did try an IF rather than the W S as it looks like not too many are getting in the box but find that the winger seems to work better for some reason.

Goals in three games have come from Striker 3 in 3, RMD A 2 in 3, Winger 2 in 3 and AM 1 in 3.

So fairly happy so far but would appreciate any input.

No need to apologise. I can be defensive at times and a tad argumentative but appreciate advice and it would be a boring forum if everyone had the same opinion!!

Can I just ask what you think of my shape?

W S--------------AM S-------------RMD A

--------------AM D----BWM S---------

WB A------CD D--------CD D------WB S

mentality - various

shape - fluid

Starting TI's - Close Down More - Prevent Short GK Dist.

Starting PI's - Tighter Marking on Wing Backs.

Close down more is just a personal preference. I am also aware that supporting roles defend better than attacking ones hence the WS ahead of the WB A and the AM S. Yep I guess there aren't many creators in there so hence the fluid shape. I did try an IF rather than the W S as it looks like not too many are getting in the box but find that the winger seems to work better for some reason.

Goals in three games have come from Striker 3 in 3, RMD A 2 in 3, Winger 2 in 3 and AM 1 in 3.

So fairly happy so far but would appreciate any input.

On paper it looks good. The only thing I'd question is tighter marking on the wingbacks. I'd advise just keeping an eye on them to make sure it's not making them be dragged out of position or forcing them to miss a lot of tackles. Apart from that it looks a decent set up :)

How can I defend thow ins? I'm conceding some goals that go like this: Throw in taker throws ball to player who holds it, then passes it back. The throw in taker centers in the ball and the striker heads in the center. The problem is that the throw in taker isn't being pressured and has a free chance to whip in the ball.

On paper it looks good. The only thing I'd question is tighter marking on the wingbacks. I'd advise just keeping an eye on them to make sure it's not making them be dragged out of position or forcing them to miss a lot of tackles. Apart from that it looks a decent set up :)

Cheers much appreciated. I decided to go with that as I found Cresswell on the left was doing fantastically going forward but a quick counter would leave me open and quite often I would be playing 2 or 3 against 4 on their counter. Wasn't really sure how to make them more defensive without losing attacking intent so am trying this and it seemed to tighten it up although Cresswell doesn't produce as many great crosses now although that may be since the hotfix with less crosses, but at least I don't get that horrific diagonal through ball all the time like in FM14. Will keep an eye on them though and may switch off if they are missing tackles or getting dragged.

Did experiment originally with a DM three and just the three forwards with a DM three of DM S - HB S - DM S, two RMD A's supporting the forward and tow bombing attacking wing backs but even though it produced a couple of high scoring wins I felt the gap was too big between the forwards and the midfield and the opposition CM's had far too much time on the ball. This is far better with the AM playing like a CM really.

Cheers again.

Basic question: Is match day preparation included in daily training days, or only in the 1 or 2 days before a match? If the latter, then lets say match day training is set to 50%, then would the couple of days before the game be fully dedicated for match training, or it would be 50% in each of the 2 days?

Thanks

Guys, I have a question I hope someone will take a few minutes to answer for me:

From the Tricking the Wizard – Guide for Understanding the Tactical Creator Dynamics thread:

*Much Higher/Higher D-Line* Greatly/Moderately increases the positioning (depth) of your d-line, and thus your team as a whole.

*Drop Deeper/Much Deeper* Greatly/Moderately reduces the positioning (depth) of your d-line, and thus your team as a whole.

I'm playing a flat 4-3-2-1 and am in the process of analyzing how opponents are likely to hurt us. Since I have no players in the DM-strata I'm a little scared opponents will find it easy to exploit the space I leave in front of my central defenders. I thought about using 'higher defensive line' instruction to close the gap a little, but I'm unsure if this will make my entire team push higher up? I know I could just drop one of the midfielders down in the DM-strata but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

Guys, I have a question I hope someone will take a few minutes to answer for me:

From the Tricking the Wizard – Guide for Understanding the Tactical Creator Dynamics thread:

*Much Higher/Higher D-Line* Greatly/Moderately increases the positioning (depth) of your d-line, and thus your team as a whole.

*Drop Deeper/Much Deeper* Greatly/Moderately reduces the positioning (depth) of your d-line, and thus your team as a whole.

Pushing Higher Up will influence the positioning of the whole side. Alternatively you can look to use a Defend Duty in the MC line to get a player to regularly drop deep when defending.

I'm playing a flat 4-3-2-1 and am in the process of analyzing how opponents are likely to hurt us. Since I have no players in the DM-strata I'm a little scared opponents will find it easy to exploit the space I leave in front of my central defenders. I thought about using 'higher defensive line' instruction to close the gap a little, but I'm unsure if this will make my entire team push higher up? I know I could just drop one of the midfielders down in the DM-strata but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

You can either Push Higher Up (which will influence how the whole team is positioned), or use a Defend Duty in the MC line to screen the defence.

You can either Push Higher Up (which will influence how the whole team is positioned), or use a Defend Duty in the MC line to screen the defence.

I already have a MC(d) in midfield and I'm in the middle of watching my first friendly with the new tactic. The MC(d) is do a decent job, but I might try to push higher up as well and pray the opponent doesn't pass it it over they heads too often.

Thanks for the reply though, RT!

Hey guys

Just a quick question. What, in real terms on the pitch, is the difference between a Defensive Winger on Defend and a Wide Midfielder on Defend? The blurb that comes with each role doesn't suggest much, apart from the potential for a DW pressing higher up the pitch to win the ball back.

Hey folks,

as a total newbie to football tactics I have kind of a dumb question. When playing with 2 CD's they obviously have good marking skills but should I use PI to mark their direct opponent or would that leave big gaps of space behind the defensive line?

Hey folks,

as a total newbie to football tactics I have kind of a dumb question. When playing with 2 CD's they obviously have good marking skills but should I use PI to mark their direct opponent or would that leave big gaps of space behind the defensive line?

Never apply specific man marking to your centre backs, it'll drag them all over the place.

This is one of my best central defenders. He seems to be a few points in Crossing short of being an awesome DR Fullback. Should I spend the CA on training him in Crossing, or is that a waste? Maybe I should be training him in Composure instead? I'm pretty well stocked at all positions so I'd only want to train him to be better at wide play if he'd be exceptional at this, or for substitute versatility.

hsnYJe.jpg

It would help me to learn to make these decisions on my own if you could let me know the pros/cons or how you'd approach the decision.

This is one of my best central defenders. He seems to be a few points in Crossing short of being an awesome DR Fullback. Should I spend the CA on training him in Crossing, or is that a waste? Maybe I should be training him in Composure instead? I'm pretty well stocked at all positions so I'd only want to train him to be better at wide play if he'd be exceptional at this, or for substitute versatility.

It would help me to learn to make these decisions on my own if you could let me know the pros/cons or how you'd approach the decision.

He has 15 for Composure, and he's only 22. That attribute could very well reach a 19 or even 20 later in his career. If you mainly play him as a CB then I'd say you're well without any specific training. Even like this, he can still be a very effective FB in a supporting role.

Personally I'd look for higher jumping in a CB, so would be tempted to play him at RB. His high technique should help to counter the low crossing stat, I've had plenty of similar full backs who can still put very effective balls into the box consistently.

I'd retrain him as a defensive midfielder or DLP, his Vision is high enough for a DLP and you'd know he can put a foot in and tackle. His low flair might be an issue when attacking with the ball, as a DLP he'd be looking for the pass rather then tryiing to dribble past opponents.

Is it viable to have a DLF (a) in a 4-1-4-1? He is an active part in constructing plays but he struggles to score consistently.

It depends on the rest of the set up. A DLF is a creator so if you use that role then he needs players up in support and running beyond him, even if he's on an attack duty.

It depends on the rest of the set up. A DLF is a creator so if you use that role then he needs players up in support and running beyond him, even if he's on an attack duty.
The midfield is: DM(d); W(a), AP(s), CM(a), W(a). The striker is currently a DLF(s) btw.

The midfield is: DM(d); W(a), AP(s), CM(a), W(a). The striker is currently a DLF(s) btw.

Yeah that's not a set up though, the set up is the whole thing, instructions and the lot. But the point still stands that I made above.

Yeah that's not a set up though, the set up is the whole thing, instructions and the lot. But the point still stands that I made above.

Fluid/Control

Shorter passing

Pugh higher up

Close down more

GK(D)

---

WB(S)

CD(D)

CD(D)

WB(S)

---

DM(D)

---

W(A)

AP(S)

CM(A)

W(A)

---

DLF(S)

We usually have possession levels between 50-60%, top defence in the league, and average attack. The striker is the top scorer but his best record so far is 26 in 42 apps.

Stupid questions from a fairly new player:

Apparently SI increased injuries by a lot this year and i'm afraid my whole team is going to be injured before the season even starts, i heard a lot of these injuries are caused by too heavy training. I never really paid much attention to training in previous games i mostly just let my assistant handle it but i guess if you do that now you're going to be plagued with injuries so my question is how should i train my players? I realize that's a big question but surely someone has made a guide about it, i see guides about tactics but what about training? Do your players need more rest now than on previous games? Do i actually need to go to light intensity sometimes or what?

I'd retrain him as a defensive midfielder or DLP, his Vision is high enough for a DLP and you'd know he can put a foot in and tackle. His low flair might be an issue when attacking with the ball, as a DLP he'd be looking for the pass rather then tryiing to dribble past opponents.

Thanks for the input on training that player, guys. It helps me understand how to approach it more generally.

Stupid questions from a fairly new player:

Apparently SI increased injuries by a lot this year and i'm afraid my whole team is going to be injured before the season even starts, i heard a lot of these injuries are caused by too heavy training. I never really paid much attention to training in previous games i mostly just let my assistant handle it but i guess if you do that now you're going to be plagued with injuries so my question is how should i train my players? I realize that's a big question but surely someone has made a guide about it, i see guides about tactics but what about training? Do your players need more rest now than on previous games? Do i actually need to go to light intensity sometimes or what?

The injury "issue" depends on who you speak to. I use FMC and do nothing whatsoever in terms of training to specifically aid player fitness. I rotate my squad a lot, but still have spells of injuries (as well as spells without). As with many things in FM, it's about how well you personally accept things happening. There is no injury bug.

Does anyone else suffer from corners being delivered to about 30 yards out when set as "aim at penalty spot"? Is this a common thing, or have I got something odd going on with my set-up?

Set pieces in general are hopeless. Love to know if anyone has scored from one. Free kicks as well. Mixed means just blast it over the bar every time.

Plus is anyone having any luck using contain, counter or defensive? To me it seems an open invitation for the opposition to just batter you, it's like the Alamo. I seriously defend better playing attacking!!

I decided on playing to the penalty spot as pretty much every team lines up with four players zonally on the 6 yard box, but now I just bypass the box completely.

I Defensive Structured 4141 to close out matches (especially as I play a high press, high tempo usual tactic), which works very well for me.

It has GK(D), FB(D) CD(D) CD(D) FB(D), DLP(D), WM(D) BWM(D) CM(S) WM(D), DF(D). No player instructions except DLP has Close Down Less.

Team instructions are Retain Possession, Short Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Play Narrower, Drop Deeper, Close Down Much Less, Stay On Feet, Waste Time, Take A Breather, Much Lower Tempo and Be More Disciplined

Effectively, this results in very few highlights and the one I see generally just revolve around my players playing little triangles. Very few highlights (anecdotally of course) with the opposition with the ball

Set pieces in general are hopeless. Love to know if anyone has scored from one. Free kicks as well. Mixed means just blast it over the bar every time.

Plus is anyone having any luck using contain, counter or defensive? To me it seems an open invitation for the opposition to just batter you, it's like the Alamo. I seriously defend better playing attacking!!

Defensive is extremely good as a possession-football base ime. Patient and low risk, and can draw the opposition out to create space.

And the problem is? :confused:

A striker getting more than one every other game is a decent record, especially for alone striker.

Yes indeed but that was on his best season. Last season he only scored 11...

I'm quite happy with how my team plays, I'd just like to improve my setup.

I’ve had quite a lot of success with my current formation / tactic, but there’s a few areas I want to improve on. I’ve got a few changes I want to test out and wanted to get some second opinions on it.

I currently play a control mentality, very fluid in a 4-2-3-1 with pass into space, work ball into box, whipped crosses, close down more, roam from position and be more expressive. My PI’s are fairly limited – I set my RMP S to play more direct passing and more risky passes and my CF(A) to move into channels. Rest is default.

Below is my current formation.

IF S--------------AP S-------------RMD A

--------------CM D----RMP S---------

CWB A------CD D--------CD D------FB S

I am quite happy with my defensive line. My main issues at the moment are:

- I am unsure if CF is the best role for my formation

- I want to get more out of my AP

- I want my RMP to create more than he is (I have Tielemans in this role and he’s an absolute star so he should be contributing more to assists and getting on the scoreboard a bit more often)

As such these are the changes I am thinking of implementing / testing:

- AP S --> SS A or AP A

- RMP S --> AP S

- Not sure whether to leave my CF A as is or try a different role

If I’m too exposed on the counter as a result of the RMP change than I’m also contemplating changing my CM D to a Defensive Midfielder or Anchor Man.

I would appreciate any thoughts / comments you might have.

As such these are the changes I am thinking of implementing / testing:

- AP S --> SS A or AP A

- RMP S --> AP S

- Not sure whether to leave my CF A as is or try a different role

If you change the AMC to an attacking duty then the striker should probably have a supporting duty, otherwise you'd have 3 of 4 players in the front with attacking duties.

I'm not fond of the 4-2-3-1 as I think it's a very very attacking formation. I think the CM roles should bear in mind that there is no DM cover, therefore these players must be able to help defensively.

Thanks KingJericho. I agree with your point and want to avoid having too many players with attack duty up forward. I really just want to try and get my AM© involved in the game more though

Re: your point on 4-2-3-1 that has been a gripe of mine for a while also but since tailoring this formation i've found it to be incredibly good both defensively and offensively. It needs the right kind of players though

I started FM in the most realistic way as possible. No coaching license, sunday league footballer experience, unemployed and with as every European competition loaded. After half a season I took control over Stockport in Vanarama North where they are in deep trouble. As my guys aren't that great football players and I don't expect the opposition to be real great either I believe physical attributes top technical ones.

I have a big 6'3", 200lbs TM with 16 strength and a smaller forward with 16 acceleration and 13 pace. The perfect scenario for a classic big-man/small-man striker partnership. As I have no real life football experience (I have a basketball background) my tactical knowledge is VERY limited. I'm willing to learn tho!

The question is which roles to give these two strikers. As I see it (again, I'm a tactical nitwit) I have two options:

a) The big guy up front, going at it with the central defenders with his physicality while the smaller guy comes from deep.

b) The small guy chasing the long balls all over the pitch, pushing the D line back while the big guy comes from deep to meet a cross.

Am I going wrong somewhere with my thinking? Which option should I opt for in the lower leagues? and which roles for those options?

Thank you for reading :)

I started FM in the most realistic way as possible. No coaching license, sunday league footballer experience, unemployed and with as every European competition loaded. After half a season I took control over Stockport in Vanarama North where they are in deep trouble. As my guys aren't that great football players and I don't expect the opposition to be real great either I believe physical attributes top technical ones.

I have a big 6'3", 200lbs TM with 16 strength and a smaller forward with 16 acceleration and 13 pace. The perfect scenario for a classic big-man/small-man striker partnership. As I have no real life football experience (I have a basketball background) my tactical knowledge is VERY limited. I'm willing to learn tho!

The question is which roles to give these two strikers. As I see it (again, I'm a tactical nitwit) I have two options:

a) The big guy up front, going at it with the central defenders with his physicality while the smaller guy comes from deep.

b) The small guy chasing the long balls all over the pitch, pushing the D line back while the big guy comes from deep to meet a cross.

Am I going wrong somewhere with my thinking? Which option should I opt for in the lower leagues? and which roles for those options?

a) Would probably be a Target Man - Attack with a Deep Lying Forward - Support/Attack alongside, while

b) Could be a Target Man - Support with an Advanced Forward - Attack

But really you're likely to see some of each kind of play regardless of how you set them up, if both are played in the ST positions.

Target man (support) + Poacher (attack) is a classic big man/small man combination. I'd suggest you read the Pairs & Combinations article to have a better idea of what you want to do. Players are almost always able to perform more than one role, what you should do is understand what roles fit best the way you want your team to play.

Dr. Hook, one more question. I know that it "depends" but I'm just trying to get a sense of what's reasonable. If I have a 16 year old with a pro deal and who would be a decent player at a Sky Bet 1 side (in England), should I have him in my Under 21s squad or my Under 18s squad.

Similarly, if I have an 18 year old who would be decent or better in the Premier League, is it okay for me to start playing him there regularly?

Put another way, should I promote from Under 18s to Under 21s to First Team only on ability, only on age, or on some combination of the two?

I don't want to burn my players out through injuries or discouraging them mentally through low performances. It seems like in his Ajax Story thread, Cleon keeps players playing youth games until about age 18-19, at which point he sells or promotes them to the first team, so it seems OK to give a superb 18 yr old regular playing time in the first team.

I think that Cleon's reserves squad is like yours, very small and mostly used for first team backup players. My problem is that with a reserves squad that is too small, the game seems to select my first team players to play in Under 21 matches to fill out the team (I have my assman managing the Reserve matches). I'd almost rather they use the better youngsters to play in the Under 21s than my first team players. I might have to take back the responsibility of team selection for Reserves and Under 18s matches.

Sorry to be a bit late on this Mogget- I missed it in the rush of a busy work week. I would play a player who is good enough on the first team, regardless of age. I wouldn't make him a starter unless I had a horrid injury crisis, but definitely even at 16 or 17 I would get him some time off the bench if possible. In your case, I would play the 16 YO in the U21's as the competition there will be better for him. So to answer, I promote on both ability and age (at very, very low levels where I start it is always ability), and the older a player is toward 20 I up the playing time accordingly.

I have Ass man do the managing, but if I have a player on the first team, then there is the option to make him available for the U21s, right? So check how you have his squad availability, as you should be able to have the ass man do the managing with you retaining control over who is available.

how do I set my gk to start quick transitions? Can't seen to find the right combination, I've been using throw long + quickly.

what's the diference between strenght and balance?

1) I use distribute to defender and that seems to get it going sometimes. I never have cared for how the quick throw has worked; it seems inconsistent. Try outlet to a specific fullback maybe and see if he gets it upfield as you want.

2) Strength is what is says: physical power on the field; balance is used on challenges to stay on your feet etc. Let me do some digging as an SI bod gave a good difference between the two because they overlap a bit in what they as I recall.

Problem getting Shots on target:

I play with Liverpool, my team play really well, the pass and move, the oposition simply can't cope with how well we play... untill my attackers get in front of the goal.

My attacking front are a combination of: Sturridge, Balotelli, Huntellar, Reus, Markovic, Lallana or Sterling, these are the players that usually will get the chance to score, almost everyone here know how to finish well.

The problem is once they get in front of the goal they will shot wide, really wide, sometimes giving the oposition a trown-in instead of a goal kick.

Reus and Sterling usually cut inside, let the defenders behind, get in front of the goalkeeper and shot wide.

The strikers will receive some amazing balls from the wingers/AM and usually will shot wide or over the bar.

My stats are usually:

20 shots

about 5 or 6 being long shots

2 or 3 shots on target

6 ~ 8 CCC

Usually, my strikers end the game without a single Shot on target.

Last game was against Chelsea, i murdered them in the midfield, Coutinho pass destroyed their defense, just to see ALL my attaking players failling to hit a single shot on target, and chelsea won the game with a rebound goal. The problem is that this happen every game, my team usually does not concede, but all the goals usually come from "weird" plays.

First i was like "Oh, must be a ME problem", but after 4 hotfixes and 2 patches, i believe SI like the way the game is right now, since they didn't touch in this aspect of the game, so, the problem must be my way of play.

So, i play with 2 tactics: 4-2-3-1 Wide and 4-3-3 DM

I will just leave the one that i use most:

Adler - GK

Flanagan- Limited FB

Moreno- FB support

Skrtel and Sakho- CB defend

Gerrard- DLP Defend

Henderson- CM Support

Reus- IF suport

Sterling- Winger

Coutinho- AM Support

Sturridge - Poacher [Or Balotelli TM suport]

Structured and Atacking

Instructions: Close Down More and Short Pass.

As i said, the midfield does the job, the problem is just the front that simply can't work.

Lallana and Markovic are my direct options for the wingers.

Other thing, is just me, or after the second Hotfix, almost every single cross does not even reach the area? It just simply get blocked.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

What's the best way to encourage my key play maker to do more through balls, small chips into the box etc?

At the moment I have "more risky passes" and "direct passing" as player instructions. Is there anything else I should consider?

No, but you should see more through balls in the latest update. Things to consider are what sort of playmaker he is - where is he positioned? - and whether the options in front are available. It's not just a case of working with the creator, you have to look at the targets too.