Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I want to build a team around a DLP(s) in DM position. How should I set up the other players ahead of him, so they're making runs and giving him options to ping direct through balls?

Links to threads where someone has tried to make a DLP/Regista as focal point much appreciated. I'm finding it a tricky one to implement.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello this is my tactic.Any suggestions

goalkeeper-defend

wing back /right and left/-support

2 central defenders/cover and stopper/

halfback-defend

box to box midfielder-support

2 wingers- support

advanced playmaker-attack

defensive forward-defend

intruction

retain possesion

work ball into box

play narrower

stick to position

take a breather

lower tempo

be more disciplined

Hello this is my tactic.Any suggestions

goalkeeper-defend

wing back /right and left/-support

2 central defenders/cover and stopper/

halfback-defend

box to box midfielder-support

2 wingers- support

advanced playmaker-attack

defensive forward-defend

intruction

retain possesion

work ball into box

play narrower

stick to position

take a breather

lower tempo

be more disciplined

Try it for a few matches and then create a new thread with what you think its strengths and weaknesses are.

After 3 seasons my team has conceded 36% of the goals from rebounds on freekicks. Is it anything to do about this?

Probably your marking set up at free kicks. Too many free attackers? Defence getting caught flat footed? Men on posts? I had a game against Everton when I conceded 2 goals from set pieces in a match - so I watched it back, paused, looked at where my defenders were and where the attackers were, realised I had to pull another man back, and switch to man marking, because my team's defensive shape was poor zonally. We improved our set piece defending considerably thereafter.

Can the PPM "uses long throw to start counter attacks" be used by a GK when he handles a save and starts a counter attack or is it specific to throw in situations?

You know I haven't noticed this before. If we can ask the goalkeeper to train it, then yes, if we cannot, then it's outfield-only.

Thoughts guys on either an Anchor Man or a Half Back in a Narrow Diamond? Determined to get this formation right and I have found that by playing two BWM (S) in the CM strata as the ME currently is seems to allow them to close down the wider areas far better than any other CM role which is a good thing. However as in BWM's they of course push forward closing down and currently I am using a Half Back due to the WB A's. In some ways this is good because obviously the HB creates a back three, but I am wondering about the odd gap between midfield and defence when the BWM's close down and the HB drops into the three. So I am wondering if anyone else plays this formation and if an Anchor Man may plug those gaps or do you use a Half Back as I am at the moment?

An Anchor (or DM on Defend) will be easier to balance than a Half Back. If you use a Half Back, you'll get the gap you've seen and need to compromise with the Role / Duty of one of the MCs. Why so fixated with this shape? If you changed to a 4-1-3-2, you be able to create an attacking central MC who looks like he's the tip of a diamond when attacking, but when you defend, he'll force the other MCs wider, so you'd have more natural defensive width, which would allow more flexibility with Role selection.

How useful/important are the ingame highlighted attributes for specific roles? If I don't know what I'm doing is it a good thing to follow it or should I be more focussed on finding out how every attribute is more important to my team/player?

An Anchor (or DM on Defend) will be easier to balance than a Half Back. If you use a Half Back, you'll get the gap you've seen and need to compromise with the Role / Duty of one of the MCs. Why so fixated with this shape? If you changed to a 4-1-3-2, you be able to create an attacking central MC who looks like he's the tip of a diamond when attacking, but when you defend, he'll force the other MCs wider, so you'd have more natural defensive width, which would allow more flexibility with Role selection.

I did try the 4132, but I just couldn't get it right for some reason. Good point though. Going to start a 4132 new project, would appreciate your feedback.

hey guys can u help with this

just my little idea nothing special so go easy on me

F9 (S)

WP (A) CM (D) AP (A) WM (S)

HB (D)

CWB (A) CB (D) CB (D) WB (S)

GK ( D)

thinking being the wide playmaker drifts infield allowing room for the overlapping complete wing back and when that happens the CM on defend drops back into the hole and provides cover, whereas on the right hand side the AP gets forward and attacks and not so much overlapping more defefensive support

hey guys can u help with this

just my little idea nothing special so go easy on me

F9 (S)

WP (A) CM (D) AP (A) WM (S)

CWB (A) CB (D) CB (D) WB (S)

GK ( D)

thinking being the wide playmaker drifts infield allowing room for the overlapping complete wing back and when that happens the CM on defend drops back into the hole and provides cover, whereas on the right hand side the AP gets forward and attacks and not so much overlapping more defefensive support

Dude stop spamming the same question in multiple threads. Asking once is more than enough, no need to post the exact same question in more than one thread. You've already been PM'd about this today............

lighten up man just trying to get some help

Follow the rules of the forum like everyone else and listen when you get told to stop or be removed from the forums. It really makes no difference to me, either play by the rules or go elsewhere enough is enough now.

i get the message sometimes that the gap between the defence and midfield is too big and the opposition can exploit it. What should I do to reduce the gap?

Get your midfielders dropping deeper, or push the defensive line higher.

Stupid question, is there anything obviously wrong with this setup?

SK(D)

WB(A) CD(D) CD(D) WB(A)

WP(S) DLP(D) RPM(S) WP(A)

TM(S) P(A)

I'm not sure whether I'm being stupid in presuming that a midfield quartet containing all playmakers is a bad thing, and whether or not I should change the RPM to something like a B2B. Any thoughts?

Stupid question, is there anything obviously wrong with this setup?

SK(D)

WB(A) CD(D) CD(D) WB(A)

WP(S) DLP(D) RPM(S) WP(A)

TM(S) P(A)

I'm not sure whether I'm being stupid in presuming that a midfield quartet containing all playmakers is a bad thing, and whether or not I should change the RPM to something like a B2B. Any thoughts?

should put left back on support not attack as you will leave a big gap

1....Since starting a new game I am finding that my squad players who I have left to my Assistant to give 45 mins here and there for the U21's and U18's are being listed as "ineligible" or "unused". I assume that ineligible probably means I already have my quota of over age players in that squad and unused looks like what it says on the tin so I assume my Assistant isn't using those players? It makes it difficult to get those players match fitness. Any thoughts without me having to take over those teams myself?

2....I allocated my Assistant to do Press Conferences at the start of the game but he is making more of a hash of them than I do. I can't find for the life of me an option to take them back of him. Is there a way?

I am playing in league to with Dover

I cant renew any contracts or sign anyone on free. when i looked on the Dover home screen it says "transfer embargo due to financial irregularities"

Thing is i don't understand what i have done wrong, I have never had any money at Dover and relied on free's. Is there anywhere in the menu i can see what i have done wrong as i have no idea.

Been reading Harry Redknapp's new book and he discusses the coaching philosophies of Ron Greenwood and he mentions quite a lot the overlapping runs of the full backs which Greenwood started at West Ham along with the deadly near post cross. Obviously there is a way to use overlapping full backs in FM and you can cross to near post but is there a way to implement this successfully? I ask because Greenwood had the luxury of telling Geoff Hurst to attack the near post whereas we don't have the luxury of teling our strikers where we want them to run so have anyone achieved success with overlapping and near post crosses?

Might be totally missing an obvious point here, but my keeper never comes out for loose balls a little outside his box, even if he'd easily get there first. It's not a role issue as he's set to Sweeper Keeper - Attack. Is there an instruction I can set to get him to be a bit more ambitious with loose balls?

Been reading Harry Redknapp's new book and he discusses the coaching philosophies of Ron Greenwood and he mentions quite a lot the overlapping runs of the full backs which Greenwood started at West Ham along with the deadly near post cross. Obviously there is a way to use overlapping full backs in FM and you can cross to near post but is there a way to implement this successfully? I ask because Greenwood had the luxury of telling Geoff Hurst to attack the near post whereas we don't have the luxury of teling our strikers where we want them to run so have anyone achieved success with overlapping and near post crosses?

Overlapping is probably easiest to achieve with a left/right back given an attack duty with an inside forward or wide midfielder ahead of them given a support duty + cuts inside instruction (default for an IF). For near post crosses, you'll need to find a role which has the PI of "Cross Aim Near Post" - and only usually use it when the intended target attacking player is playing on the same side as the crosser.

Hi all: long time lurker, (very) intermittent poster. I have several basic questions on tactics and player positioning

1) Playing players out of natural positions (especially ML vs. AML, MR vs. AMR). The consensus appears to be that it doesn't really matter as long as they have the attributes to perform the tasks required of them (other than reduced decisions). Is this actually confirmed?

2) Following on from that, will the player automatically learn the position over time from playing there or do they have to be trained as well? Is it worthwhile training an AML to ML to get to Natural? Will they ever get to Natural?

3) It also appears that I have been misusing the tactics creator. I only have one tactic and I move the players and change roles based on the players I have available. This appears to be exactly backwards from what I should be doing. What level of change justifies having another tactic created?

Different positions (seems to be yes, create a different tactic)?

Different Roles in same position (not sure)?

Same positions and roles but different mentality (defensive, counter, etc.; also not sure)?

Different fluidity (or whatever it's called now; not in front of FM2015 at the moment) (definitely should be a different tactic moving between rigid, flexible, etc. and probably not a good idea)?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered definitively; I did read quite a bit before posting but I could have missed the exact information that I was looking for.

Thanks!

Hi all: long time lurker, (very) intermittent poster. I have several basic questions on tactics and player positioning

1) Playing players out of natural positions (especially ML vs. AML, MR vs. AMR). The consensus appears to be that it doesn't really matter as long as they have the attributes to perform the tasks required of them (other than reduced decisions). Is this actually confirmed?

2) Following on from that, will the player automatically learn the position over time from playing there or do they have to be trained as well? Is it worthwhile training an AML to ML to get to Natural? Will they ever get to Natural?

3) It also appears that I have been misusing the tactics creator. I only have one tactic and I move the players and change roles based on the players I have available. This appears to be exactly backwards from what I should be doing. What level of change justifies having another tactic created?

Different positions (seems to be yes, create a different tactic)?

Different Roles in same position (not sure)?

Same positions and roles but different mentality (defensive, counter, etc.; also not sure)?

Different fluidity (or whatever it's called now; not in front of FM2015 at the moment) (definitely should be a different tactic moving between rigid, flexible, etc. and probably not a good idea)?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered definitively; I did read quite a bit before posting but I could have missed the exact information that I was looking for.

Thanks!

1) General rule of thumb - if you are going to regularly play someone out of position you are better off retraining him to play there.

2) Don't rely on hoping a player will automatically learn a new position over time, have them learn their new position through development training until they are "Accomplished". You can keep going until "Natural" but it really isn't worth it.

3) Constantly chopping and changing a single tactic can lead to poor tactical understanding for your team. If you do often juggle player positions, fluidity and/or mentality, it can be good practise to have 2 or 3 tactics set up each with a different combination of positions, mentalities and fluidity. That way, if you change something your team should still be fairly familiar with it. No need to worry about different roles in the same position though.

1) General rule of thumb - if you are going to regularly play someone out of position you are better off retraining him to play there.

2) Don't rely on hoping a player will automatically learn a new position over time, have them learn their new position through development training until they are "Accomplished". You can keep going until "Natural" but it really isn't worth it.

3) Constantly chopping and changing a single tactic can lead to poor tactical understanding for your team. If you do often juggle player positions, fluidity and/or mentality, it can be good practise to have 2 or 3 tactics set up each with a different combination of positions, mentalities and fluidity. That way, if you change something your team should still be fairly familiar with it. No need to worry about different roles in the same position though.

Thanks for the response!

1) and 2) So your experience has been that you should retrain? Even for playing an AML as ML or vice versa? Interesting; there seems to be some debate about that. And playing them in the position does not help them learn it? Seems counter-intuitive but I haven't tried it enough to have an opinion there (thus the questions).

3) Yeah, I've discovered that chopping and changing is definitely not a good way to go. I keep getting press reports talking about "woolymuffler's tinkering undone" and we're barely accomplished in my tactic after 3 months of the regular season. Of course, by the game's standards, I'm giving my team a new tactic every week, so it's understandable that my team is confused.

So even for mentality changes (Defensive to Standard to Attacking) with the same positions, roles and duties, those should be separate tactics? That's where my confusion lies I guess. What does the game consider a "new tactic" to be learned versus an in-game adjustment.

I would think that philosophy (flexible, rigid, etc.), positions, roles and (maybe) duties should be the tactic that has to be learned and shouldn't be chopped and changed. If you want alternative sets of philosophies, positions, roles and duties, those should be separate tactics to be learned. I could see a case for duties being week to week or even in-game adjustments, depending on the opponents (telling your fullback to stay back this week because the opposing winger is dangerous (from attacking to defending), etc). Mentalities, Team Instructions and Player Instructions should be the week to week or in-game adjustments. All IMO of course; it doesn't matter how I think it should work, just how it actually works in the game.

So, if I'm understanding this properly, I should have a standard tactic that is basically how I want my team to play in an even(ish) odds game. This will be philosophy, mentality, roles, duties and team/player instructions of my ideal style of play for my current team (tweaked over time to reflect how it plays, etc. but not changing constantly). Then have alternate tactics (either different formations or the same formation with alternative roles, mentality, etc.) for changes of pace, closing up shop, chasing a game, parking the bus, etc. Obviously, you can't have that many tactics so you have to decide what alternates you will need for your current team and season. More or less correct?

How you decide to set up alternate tactics is up to you. I have two currently that are different formations. If I need to change approach in a match, I just change the mentality. There is some minor penalty for doing that, but it is more than offset by getting it right against the opposition. It is valid to train three different mentalities with the same formation, or three different formations. I like having one or two alternate formations trained up just in case of injuries, condition, suspension, or whatever might force me into a different squad selection.

The most important thing, imo, when setting duties and roles, is how your team plays together, and interacts. You shouldn't need to be changing them week to week, because changing duties and or/roles will affect the entire way your team plays. I do change them in game from time to time if I am seeing something that needs addressing, but it isn't often, and I rarely do more than one or two at a time. Instead of designing a tactic for specific match odds, I prefer to envision how I want my team to play. You can accomplish a lot using PI and TI to change up the way your team plays in a match, but the underlying philosophy and approach you've designed remains the same.

That said, there are any number of ways to tackle FM, and no one approach is uniquely correct, but I would throw out a caution not to over complicate things.

How you decide to set up alternate tactics is up to you. I have two currently that are different formations. If I need to change approach in a match, I just change the mentality. There is some minor penalty for doing that, but it is more than offset by getting it right against the opposition. It is valid to train three different mentalities with the same formation, or three different formations. I like having one or two alternate formations trained up just in case of injuries, condition, suspension, or whatever might force me into a different squad selection.

The most important thing, imo, when setting duties and roles, is how your team plays together, and interacts. You shouldn't need to be changing them week to week, because changing duties and or/roles will affect the entire way your team plays. I do change them in game from time to time if I am seeing something that needs addressing, but it isn't often, and I rarely do more than one or two at a time. Instead of designing a tactic for specific match odds, I prefer to envision how I want my team to play. You can accomplish a lot using PI and TI to change up the way your team plays in a match, but the underlying philosophy and approach you've designed remains the same.

That said, there are any number of ways to tackle FM, and no one approach is uniquely correct, but I would throw out a caution not to over complicate things.

Yeah, but as I've learned the hard way, there are definitely approaches that are NOT correct (like training a single tactic and changing it week to week).

That sounds like a good approach; figure out how you want to play (formation, roles, duties) plus one or two alternative setups to cover for injuries or just for a change up. Then use the mentalities and team/player instructions for week to week and in-match adjustments. Play players out of position if necessary to preserve the learned system rather than changing the system just because the backup isn't the same type of player as the starter (use individual player instructions rather than changing the player position, role or duty) . Or create a new tactic to accommodate the alternate player if this will be used frequently or the starter is out for an extended period.

I've been too hung up with putting players in their natural positions and preferred roles, rather than coming up with a logical system that suits the team as a whole and fitting the players into that system (even if they are an AML instead of an ML).

Thanks!

Guys, do you have any tips how to defend with 4-4-2 flat against 3-4-3 (flat midfield, 3 central strikers) without the need of changing the formation?

I doubt so. You are at an disadvantage in attack and defence. In attack, you are outnumbered 3 to 2. In defence, their 3 strikers are going to pin your defenders back or take advantage of a 3 on 2 situation when your fullbacks push up.

Can probably try dropping a striker back into AMC so that you at least have a man advantage in midfield.

Guys, do you have any tips how to defend with 4-4-2 flat against 3-4-3 (flat midfield, 3 central strikers) without the need of changing the formation?

As Vasili noted above, it's tough. It is doable, though. Definitely have a holding CM (The DLP-D is a good choice as he sits pretty deep by default) as per usual with the 4-4-2, but also look at having your other CM play a bit deeper and less adventurously; CM S or D. Your attack will be on the flanks here and you should have acres of space to counter that way.

Thanks guys.

1. Two of my backup strikers have PPM "comes deep", so I will play one of them to emulate vasilli07's suggestion to have an advantage in midfield.

2. I am on FM11, I play 4-4-2 flat, with two deep-lying playmakers (Mentality 2), so they are pretty deep already. I might try to man mark their outer central forwards with my full backs, leaving the central one against my two center backs...and yes, I shall attack the flanks so I will change my MR, ML (on default they cut inside) for proper wingers.

Hei guys. I tried searching but I'm left here to ask another stupid question.

Does U19 staff have any affect on the senior team?

No they only coach or physio the U19 players.