Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May interest some of you. :)

Whelan to try and get Martinez to stay makes no sense really if he wanted to keep him surely he would have said no when clubs asked for permission to speak to him.

Whelan to try and get Martinez to stay makes no sense really if he wanted to keep him surely he would have said no when clubs asked for permission to speak to him.

I think Whelan has an understanding with Martinez about not standing in his way.

I like Martinez and think he's a good manager, interesting but I do not think it's what Liverpool are looking for. I just think it'll end in tears

we're not that unforgiving, aslong as we show some sort of progression we'll be happy with whoever the manager is. if martinez comes in though then goes and buys 4 wigan players and we struggle,then he's bound to get stick.

whats all this i heard about wigan arranging a press conference for tomorrow i was hearing yesterday? can anyone confirm this? dont see what it'd be for if true.

What i don't understand, and i tend to not understand a lot, is if as is being reported the sticking point is the fact that a new manager will have to work under a new DoF, Why we are even looking at managers before that position is sorted out ?

Surely you hire from the top down somewhat, Not "yeah you'll have to work under a Director of football and won't have full control, Whose that ? well we aren't quite sure yet"

Hardly inspiring managers to take the job.

we're not that unforgiving, aslong as we show some sort of progression we'll be happy with whoever the manager is. if martinez comes in though then goes and buys 4 wigan players and we struggle,then he's bound to get stick.whats all this i heard about wigan arranging a press conference for tomorrow i was hearing yesterday? can anyone confirm this? dont see what it'd be for if true.
there is no planned press conference apparently. Sky sports news are reporting that there will be more talks between martinez and your board though.

Nope, no press conference, never was. Martinez gets back tonight - or was meant too. Was meant to be meeting Whelan tomorrow but meant to be meeting LFC owners too. If they've flown here and he's meeting them here i presume he'll have his meeting with Whelan too. Whelan wants it all sorted before Thursday. Martinez flies to Poland / Ukraine next week to work for ITV (or is it BBC, i cant remember) so either way wherever he ends up they'll be a bit behind in the preperations for next season cos of that.

Anyway, Jimmy says it better than i could ever hope too - http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/a-wigan-fan-tells-liverpool-what-to-expect-from-roberto-martinez/

Nope, no press conference, never was. Martinez gets back tonight - or was meant too. Was meant to be meeting Whelan tomorrow but meant to be meeting LFC owners too. If they've flown here and he's meeting them here i presume he'll have his meeting with Whelan too. Whelan wants it all sorted before Thursday. Martinez flies to Poland / Ukraine next week to work for ITV (or is it BBC, i cant remember) so either way wherever he ends up they'll be a bit behind in the preperations for next season cos of that.

Anyway, Jimmy says it better than i could ever hope too - http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/a-wigan-fan-tells-liverpool-what-to-expect-from-roberto-martinez/

Was a pretty good read that tbh gave me more of an insight on his personality.

No he has been pish. It's a name spouted but complete no-nothings he remember him being linked after he managed Barca and are unable of actually think for themselves.

I'd rather have Martinez.

Yeah, that is a good peice about Martinez.

Intresting that he points out the relatively obscure career of Shankly prior to his Liverpool days. From small acorns and all that.

I think the good thing for any manager coming in is that the previous league campaign is the worst in living memory, setting the bar to show some improvement fairly low. A 6th place finish would be a marked improvement (or 60 points if you want to look at it that way). Basically one thing the next manager will given is time to turn it around.

In the absence of any other big names seemingly circulating, it's looking likely to be Martinez, and if the choice is between him and Rogers it really is no choice at all.

I'd place both on a par with each other, and be happy with both. Rodgers spends a lot of time learning in Spain and is spending some time with the Spanish national team this summer. Can't fault a man who wants to learn from the best, and whose sides are already mightily impressive for their standing.

They aren't really the same position tho Diame would be the defensive midfield backup for Lucas, while the other two have a bit more to their game and would cost alot more as well. If I was just picking wigan players i would go for mcarthy but since Diame is readily available on a free and we need a dm.

we'll have to wait and see who the new manager fancies. i think they'll be given money. even £30m is a decent amount if we shop around and find a gem or two. the dof and manager is crucial though obviously and i'd hope whoever they are theyre able to identify the right people.

massive summer this.

Diame and Rodallega on a free? It's a bit shameful, but I'd probably accept both as squad players esp. if Kuyt and Maxi are on their way.

believe me. you wouldnt want rodallega.

he's done nothing for two seasons

so now FSG want to speak to Rodgers again, Dont really think they know what they want!! the way they are carrying on they risk losing both Rodgers and Martinez unless they have a plan to apoint both of them.

Personaly i think the way they are doing things is a bit of a disgrace, of course all will be forgiven if it comes off.. they had months to deside who they wanted and they should of approched 1 man, not invite half the world on a short list. Seems very disrespectfull to other clubs.

Archived