LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

We only got broadband a couple of years ago, only had a dial up, very slow PC (which I only used for CM and FIFA WC 2002/2006) and I wasn't really PC knowledgeable at that point (I was only 13).

So basically, teletext was easier to access for the same information.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a far worse situation than we have now. We were so bad in 1995 there was even a threat of relegation for a while and if David Seaman hadn't been so awesome that season, it might have happened!!

Graham spent more in 4 weeks on those 3 (Helder, Kiwomya and Hartson), than he did in the previous 3 years. AW splashes the cash compared to him! Sy would have been exploding with alarming regularity. Especially when Man Utd bough Andy Cole and we bought, well, those 3.

Graham spent more in 4 weeks on those 3 (Helder, Kiwomya and Hartson), than he did in the previous 3 years. AW splashes the cash compared to him! Sy would have been exploding with alarming regularity. Especially when Man Utd bough Andy Cole and we bought, well, those 3.

And he SOLD Anders Limpar and David Rocastle!! Never forgave him for either of those.

I was watching a programme about the Euro Championships and they were talking about John Jensen's goal for Denmark that won them the tournament in 1992. We bought him soon after and then sold Rocky.

Smudger was on the programme and his comment on Jensen was "yeah, not the best player I ever played with" :D

But he replaced Rocky with Eddie McGoldrick!

McGoldrick was a replacement for Limpar really (Limpar left during the following season).

When you see Graham's signings from 1992 onwards, it's really quite scary how bad they were. Ian Wright in late 1991 was probably his last truly decent signing unless I'm forgetting someone (there were a few ok players like Schwartz)

Just remembered he resigned Martin Keown in 1992-93.

McGoldrick was a replacement for Limpar really (Limpar left during the following season).

When you see Graham's signings from 1992 onwards, it's really quite scary how bad they were. Ian Wright in late 1991 was probably his last truly decent signing unless I'm forgetting someone (there were a few ok players like Schwartz)

Just remembered he resigned Martin Keown in 1992-93.

Keown doesn't count as he sold him in the first place and had to buy him back for quite a bit more!

Now then, Alan Dzagoev's contract is running out this December. Who'd have him at Arsenal?

I definitely would. Available on a Bosman deal this Summer, but he will then arrive in January. Personally, I'd much rather see us spend £10 million, or so, on him now and give him time to settle before the season starts.

:)

Dzagoev will not be coming to Arsenal. He prefers Italy or Spain. If he does come to England it will be Chelsea.

I'm sure he'll prefer the warmer climate ;)

Having said that, the rumours surrounding all of the players we are signing/selling/getting signatures on new contracts etc..... I refuse to believe anything until it's confirmed on arsenal.com. Even Podolski when it was announced on the BBC Sport website, didn't believe it until confirmed on arsenal.com, been burned way too many times by rumours and hearsay.

Having said that, I'll take Arteta, Mertesacker, Benayoun (not Park) over Hartson, Helder and Kiwomya every day of the week. Wouldn't mind a bit of GG influence at the back though, hopefully will get that with Bould coming in as No. 2.

I remember at DB10's testimonial at the Emirates, each legend was brought on to a wave of passion and cheers.

Ian WRIGHT..... Roar, cheer etc

Robert PIRES..... Roar, cheer etc

Freddie LJUNGBERG..... Roar, cheer etc

Glen HELDER..... Silence!

Harsh.

I've seen him play 2 full matches, 1 game he scored a nice goal and set up another (not with his head) and the other he didn't score at all (final game of the season).

I'd actually say he's very similar to RVP, left footed, great with feet, good passer. I'm not sure about his aerial presence or whether he's good at heading, have seen him try some very acrobatic stuff though, a couple have resulted in goals.

• SI Staff

I saw some stats comparing RvP and Giroud and they seemed to be quite different type of players really (without me seeing Giroud except a few youtube clips)

Something like RvP aerial duals ~25%, Giroud ~80% so looks more of an aerial threat (would be less in the prem with more physical defenders I'd wager), he also had much lower shooting accuracy than RvP

I've seen him play 2 full matches, 1 game he scored a nice goal and set up another (not with his head) and the other he didn't score at all (final game of the season).

I'd actually say he's very similar to RVP, left footed, great with feet, good passer. I'm not sure about his aerial presence or whether he's good at heading, have seen him try some very acrobatic stuff though, a couple have resulted in goals.

That's reassuring, as we've seen with Chamakh, players like that don't really fit with the way we play so it's good to know his only strength isn't aerial.

Well, I wasn't sure on his aerial threat but that helps :D

There was one goal of his he scored which almost identical to RVP vs Blackburn a few years back, cuts in from right wing, curls in from very acute angle. I can't find the clip currently.

you seem to have described the absolute opposite of giroud :/

he's nothing like van persie. he's like 6 ft 4 for a start, and thus quite good in the air. I don't see how you can play him, podolski and van persie unless you play 4-4-2 with podolski on the left.

(if he joins)

I was thinking, if RvP does go then why not switch to a 3-5-2?

Sell RvP, keep Walcott. Use Theo as one of the two with Podolski and Giroud. Gibbs, Santos and Jenkinson would be better as wing backs, the extra man in defence will mean Vermaelen can bomb forward more and will hopefully not expose Mertesackers pace as much. The only guy I can see it not benefiting is Gervinho.

Well technically he didn't win it because we only needed a draw (pedantry). ;)

My fond memory of him was on a rare excursion for me in the old East Stand at Highbury. Wiltord was on the right wing, typically standing in an offside position, and the whole of that area of the stand screamed at him to get back onside. He turned round as if to say "Huh?" only for the ball to come through and the linesman to flag him offside. He was still a little bewildered even after the decision! :D

Adebayor did try and take his "Offside ineptness" crown, but I still think Wiltord was the king.

I would LOVE it if Wenger finally changed the formation but that seems like a bit of a dream.

Just hope if we get Giroud that Podolski isn't shoved out left for most of the season, the "podolski and Giroud up front with rvp being the bergkamp" sounds nice, Wengers not big on change though it seems.

Archived