LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

I saw something the other day which said the club shop had been told to stop printing shirts with Diaby, Arshavin and Vela on the back, and that Santos will get number 2 and Podolski number 11.

That sounds highly improbable. I can't imagine anyone asking for a shirt with those names on it, but even if they did, I can't imagine the assistant then refusing to do it! What if your own name happens to be Diaby for example. ;)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds highly improbable. I can't imagine anyone asking for a shirt with those names on it, but even if they did, I can't imagine the assistant then refusing to do it! What if your own name happens to be Diaby for example. ;)

I was in the Arsenal shop back in 09 and one of the members of staff refused to print a Senderos shirt for someone as they said that he was probably leaving. So it does happen.

if my name was Diaby I certainly wouldn't want number 2 on the back anyway! Silly number for a midfielder!

And why I'm ranting, who gave Gallas the no 10? Angered me for years that!

Just wanted to get that off my chest :D

I heard/read somewhere at the time that they didn't want to give number 10 to a striker right after Bergkamp, as to not put any unneccessary pressure on him. True or not, doesn't look too good with number 10 playing in central defence.

I was in the Arsenal shop back in 09 and one of the members of staff refused to print a Senderos shirt for someone as they said that he was probably leaving. So it does happen.

They refused or they just mentioned that he was probably leaving and therefore not a good idea? It'd just amaze me if the customer said, "I know he's probably leaving but I want one anyway" and they outright refused that's all.

I do prefer it when players get a number that reflects their position. Certain shirt numbers do have an association with positions that goes back to the days before squad numbers and the striker positions in particular do have a significance (9 or 10).

But the significance has been reduced the longer we've had squad numbers. It still doesn't make sense to give a CB the 10 shirt though.

They refused or they just mentioned that he was probably leaving and therefore not a good idea? It'd just amaze me if the customer said, "I know he's probably leaving but I want one anyway" and they outright refused that's all.

They refused. The customer said that she didnt care as she likes Senderos, but they said that they wouldnt do it.

Then it is one of the most stupid things I've heard. I've never played for Arsenal but I can have my name put on a shirt, and as far as I know there are no restrictions (except probably those of decency).

I had Ljungberg, Henry, Reyes, Hleb, Rosicky, Nasri and Koscielny (I think in that order).

Just give Sagna number 2 and Santos/Gibbs number 3 ffs :mad:

Oh, also, rumours that Ox will start for England floating about atm.

All sorts, really. Bagged himself a couple of infractions for **** poor trolling and a few hours later went off on a swearing tirade and being abusive. So he got a week off for that. Then he created an alias account and, as you can see, acted as if he had no idea about anything, earning himself a second week off as well :thup:

I know it is, but I used to like it back in the day when it was 1-11, and no defender should ever have a 10, its for the forwards!

In the days before squad numbers and when GG was manager, when we played a 'sweeper' or 3 CB's the 3rd always wore 11. As for the Gallas 10 shirt, if I recall correctly the option was 3 or 10 as the other low numbers were already in use.

Edit: Just looked back through some 1988-89 programmes and O'Leary wore 5, Adams 6 and Bould 10.

How does buying Giroud means RvP is leaving?

Like I said, we're probably going to lose at least one striker this summer, if not three, so buying a striker is not out of the ordinary. Or should we keep Chamakh and Park, but let RvP go?

Why does buying a Giroud has to mean he's replacing RvP? He plays more like Chamakh than RvP anyway. Can't we have more than one good striker in our team? We used to have Bergkamp, Henry, Kanu, Reyes and Wiltord all in the same team.

It is possible we might be replacing RvP with Giroud, but it could also mean the opposite. Maybe RvP wants to see us improve our squad, and so this Giroud signing, and Poldolski among others will convince him. Maybe Giroud is moving there on the promise that he will get to play with RvP.

People are so pessimistic sometimes. Lets get upset when something upsetting actually happens. Signing a French championship 20+ goals striker is a good thing. Lets not turn it into something bad with our paranoia.

It wasn't that long ago Montpellier's owner said Giroud was worth 50M-60M (Euros). I highly doubt we're getting him for a mere £13M. I'm happy to be proved wrong of course, but something doesn't add up there. He plays for the French champions and he's the league top scorer. That surely puts his value at above £13M.

Good point. Carry on.

I do always find it entertaining reading the latest news and reactions in this thread (in a nice way... except Sy). It's good to have hope and some anticipation rather than be cynical like me.

I remember in the days of teletext, they used to have the teamtalk ads on there. I used to get excited when it would say stuff like ARSENAL IN MEGA DEAL FOR STRIKER and such stuff.

Its just now that with twitter and the internet in general, there are so many different sources of rumours.

Until they are on arsenal.com in an Arsenal shirt, I refuse to believe any of them!

I used to live purely off teletext. 302 for Football, 316 latest scores, 338 vidiprinter.

The main memory for me was going on one time and seeing the headline "ARSENAL MAKE DOUBLE SIGNING", which turned out to be Adebayor and Diaby, who I'd never heard of. But I was just so excited we'd signed someone.

Archived