A Guide to Developing Youngsters

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personaly, and even if you really want him one dimensional, I'd add a little Ball Control in there. This affects his headers, whcih means he will clear them better AND may score you some goals.

• 3 weeks later...
you need to look a little further down in the tactics thread bud to see the announcement the SFraser has sadly died
God that terrible :(

yes it is very saddening indeed. i hope a mod would edit this thread of his to at least link to the other announcement thread to let everyone know. frankly i see many people on this thread talking about this topic but not many seem to know fraser is no longer with us. :(

I'd advise everyone to read every single one of Steven's threads, they are all in so much depth and give you new ways to look at the game, I thought I knew a thing or two but christ did he.

I second this, I've read all of his FM11 ones in the past day when I really should be studying for my two exams tomorrow. :p

• 2 years later...

A couple of questions

1) Would you suggest having the reserve team and youth team playing the same formation and tactics as your first team (I'm presuming yes, but there may be a valid reason why it makes no difference)

2) Am I right in thinking that basically the players are divided between First team and U18's/ Youth team.

3) When I get my yearly in-take of youth players I usually take my Head of youth Development's advice on who to sign, should I ignore this?

I know these are pretty basic but I've had a few years out from playing FM and am just getting back in to it.

A couple of questions

1) Would you suggest having the reserve team and youth team playing the same formation and tactics as your first team (I'm presuming yes, but there may be a valid reason why it makes no difference)

2) Am I right in thinking that basically the players are divided between First team and U18's/ Youth team.

3) When I get my yearly in-take of youth players I usually take my Head of youth Development's advice on who to sign, should I ignore this?

I know these are pretty basic but I've had a few years out from playing FM and am just getting back in to it.

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a shot:

1. Yes, but like you I don't know that it makes a difference. In "football thinking" it makes sense, which is how SFraser would encourage us to approach the game.

2. You're right, but it depends on your setup. In Spain for example, "reserve" teams play against professional squads in the Liga Adelante (or lower divisions), but in England (I'm speculating, because I'm a Yank and don't manage English clubs) the reserve team games aren't very worthwhile. Thus, as SFraser was alluding to, try and keep that squad "empty".

3. I find my HoYD generally has lower standards than I do about which players to keep, but I play as Barcelona and youth contracts are cheap, so I'll generally in-take whoever he recommends and at least give them a chance. If the budget was tighter or I was less active in the transfer market for U19s, I could easily understand refusing more players than I do. Ultimately though, it's your club, and you should be making the decisions. Your HoYD is there to recommend and advise.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Fox said:

What are the best personalities for development, I presume it's professional.

Any personalities with high professionalism and/or high ambition as those are the key attributes required for young players to reach their potential.

Model Citizen, Perfectionist, Model Professional, Professional, Fairly Professional, Resolute, Very Ambitious, Ambitious, Fairly Ambitious, Spirited (maybe?) and Evasive media handling can all make good tutors.

I tend to avoid youngsters with negative personalities such as casual, low self-belief etc.

You can find much more detail in these two threads, I find them invaluable -

47 minutes ago, Fox said:

I have a few coach reports saying that my younger player is inconsistent, he has a solid personality. How do I make him more consistent, tutoring?

As far as I know, tutoring does not effect consistency. In fact, I am not sure it can be externally effected at all.

But I could be wrong there.

Just now, inacion said:

Looks tutoring effect mostly determination, but some cases several mental attributes increase also, maybe just a coincidence

Tutoring doesn't alter any visible stat apart from determination.

7 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Those are the only two but yes.

Very interesting. So those are the only two.

That's very good to know because it is difficult enough to work out the right tutor to give those two a bump without having to worry about negatively impacting upon the likes of sportsmanship and dirtiness.

Thanks Cleon.

• 6 months later...
On 14/11/2016 at 17:29, Cleon said:

Those are the only two but yes.

If that is correct and tutoring only alters Determination, Ambition and Professionalism, how do you explain the following (the increase/decrease in all "Mental Traits")?
(Before=19.05.2015 vs After=04.06.2017, FM16)

Spoiler

Stefanos_Kapino_Profile-19.05.2015.jpgStefanos_Kapino_Profile-04.06.2017.jpg
Panagiotis_Retsos_Profile-19.05.2015.jpgPanagiotis_Retsos_Profile-04.06.2017.jpg
Dimitris_Nikolaou_Profile-19.05.2015.jpgDimitris_Nikolaou_Profile-04.06.2017.jpg

(All three were tutored)

9 minutes ago, ilkork said:

If that is correct and tutoring only alters Determination, Ambition and Professionalism, how do you explain the following (the increase/decrease in all "Mental Traits")?
(Before=19.05.2015 vs After=04.06.2017, FM16)

Hide contents

Stefanos_Kapino_Profile-19.05.2015.jpgStefanos_Kapino_Profile-04.06.2017.jpg
Panagiotis_Retsos_Profile-19.05.2015.jpgPanagiotis_Retsos_Profile-04.06.2017.jpg
Dimitris_Nikolaou_Profile-19.05.2015.jpgDimitris_Nikolaou_Profile-04.06.2017.jpg

(All three were tutored)

Their attributes would develop naturally anyway, improved professionalism would see players train better so they'll improve across the board but not directly from tutoring.

On 4/15/2011 at 17:50, SFraser said:

1: The holding club for players that are not great but you don't want to sell yet. Players you think have awesome potential but need a vast amount of your attention to develop and you can't give them that attention yet.

I have a question about this part for anyone that's willing to help out - How do you know when your youth players are ready for a better challenge?

Archived