gillsminnow

arg.pngvs ger.png

Argentina vs Germany

World Cup 2010 Quarter Final

Kick Off - 15:00

Referee: Ravshan IRMATOV (UZB)

Venue: Green Point Stadium, Cape Town

1982.jpg

Quarter-final opponents back in 2006, Argentina and Germany are ready to cross swords again in Cape Town on Saturday. Up for grabs is a place in the semi-finals of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™.

With five world titles between them, La Albiceleste and Die Nationalmannschaft are two of the world’s most successful national outfits. Expectation is high ahead of their latest duel, especially with both sides in such vibrant form and memories of Germany's tense penalty-decider win four years ago still fresh.

The match

Argentina-Germany, Quarter-Finals, Cape Town, Saturday 3 July, 16.00 (local time)

The Argentinians have been in flawless form to date, winning all three of their group games before disposing of Mexico in the Round of 16. Much-questioned before the tournament, coach Diego Maradona seems to have identified his best line-up, one that naturally includes Lionel Messi, a mere bit-part player at Germany 2006. The Argentinians can also take heart from their 1-0 defeat of the Germans in a March friendly in Munich, the only goal of the game coming from Gonzalo Higuain, who has been in scintillating form in South Africa.

In the last eight for an amazing 15th time in a row, the Germans won Group D despite a surprise reverse to Serbia. Impressive against both Australia and Ghana, Joachim Low’s side turned on the power against England in the last round, swamping them 4-1 in a superb display of attacking football.

These two giants of the world game have met five times before in the competition’s history. The Germans hold sway with three victories to Argentina’s solitary win in the Mexico 1986 Final. The other game, a group match at England 1966, ended in a goalless draw.

Players to watch

Martin Demichelis (ARG) v Miroslav Klose (GER)

Martin Demichelis has had his ups and downs so far at South Africa 2010 but cannot afford to be on anything less than his best form against the relentless Klose. Team-mates at Bayern Munich, the duo know each other inside out and will be intent on capitalising on each other’s weak points in a head-to-head that could prove crucial to the outcome.

The stat

8 - The number of players on yellow cards going into Saturday’s match: Mario Bolatti, Javier Mascherano and Gabriel Heinze of Argentina; and Mesut Ozil, Cacau, Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Thomas Mueller of Germany.

What they said

"I’d love to be out on the pitch this time and pull on a shirt and play. It’s a game we can’t afford to lose but I wouldn’t compare it to the 1986 Final. Germany are a very tough side for sure. They’re more powerful than Mexico but we have the resources to beat them," Diego Maradona, Argentina coach.

"Look at the names on paper and Argentina are stronger than us. But it was the same with England. They had more experience and bigger names but that didn’t show on the pitch. We have a great team and we can definitely go out and do what we did in our last game," Miroslav Klose, Germany forward.

One booking from suspension:

[b][u]ARGENTINA[/u][/b]		[u][b]GERMANY[/b][/u]

Bolatti			Friedrich
Heinze			Khedira
Mascherano		Lahm
		Ozil
		Muller
		Scheweinsteiger

[b][u]The journey so far:[/u][/b]

Argentina 1-0 Nigeria		Germany 4-0 Australia
Argentina 4-1 South Korea	Germany 0-1 Serbia
Argentina 2-0 Greece		Germany 1-0 Ghana
Argentina 3-1 Mexico		Germany 4-1 England

1176798_full-lnd.jpg

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFA Previews up so may aswell get the threads open for discussion as we've had two WHOLE days with no football. :(

Really want Argentina to do this one, think it'll come down to whichever defence is the weakest as attacking wise they are both quality.

I had some sympathy for the Germans and their good play this WC, but Schweinsteiger and Lahm have taken that away completely with their comments about Argentina. Lack of class to say the least.

Not that it changes my stance on this match since I hope Argentina win it all :D

I had some sympathy for the Germans and their good play this WC, but Schweinsteiger and Lahm have taken that away completely with their comments about Argentina. Lack of class to say the least.

I was in Germany last week, and they just replied to the allegations/bad words/ etc Argentina has spread (thus before the Germans replied).

What did Lahm say? I did hear Schweinsteiger to which I say: Meh. Win something other than the Bundesliga and then we'll hear ya.

Lahm said he fully agreed with Schweinsteiger, and then added that South Americans are bad losers, temperamental, impulsive and that he's curious to see how Argentina will cope with defeat.

Acting like you're going to win is all fine and dandy, but saying all that stuff about South Americans in general is just stupid.

I agree with what Schweini said about us being sore losers. Not South Americans in general, but Argies. However, that can't be said of some of our players, and can be said by some of theirs, so... better if he just shuts up.

Interested to know what Argentinian comments Micado meant, as I honestly heard nothing of the sort all month.

This will be fantastic, I don't really mind who wins: as an Englishman I "should" want the Germans to be dumped out, but at the same times I want the European teams to do well so as a result I'm neutral really. Shame it's at 3pm really.

I am rooting for Germany this match. They dont have Ballack and have quite a few foreigners in their squad. I like messi though and would like him to win but maradona dont deserve it. Wont be sad if argentina wins because of messi though

Lahm said he fully agreed with Schweinsteiger, and then added that South Americans are bad losers, temperamental, impulsive and that he's curious to see how Argentina will cope with defeat.

Acting like you're going to win is all fine and dandy, but saying all that stuff about South Americans in general is just stupid.

beckenbauer had more sense and described steinweiger's words as "not very clever".

prior to the game in berlin earlier this year, ballack et al said the argentineans were too physical and rough.

maradona had to substitute no less than 3 players that game due to injuries caused by the germans; and ballack himself injured demichellis which kept him out for months.

so far, the Argentinian side are playing very fairly i find.

Which were what, Micado?

Interested to know what Argentinian comments Micado meant, as I honestly heard nothing of the sort all month.

Not sure, as my German isn't good enough to read it, but my colleagues told me that Maradona wasn't really suttle/nice and a bit offensive against the German stating they better can go home and cry with as they will not get anything out of the game and they are all bad losers etc.

That is what I heard and some items were in the newspaper as well (as some words I can read).

Mon Germany winning a getting to the semi's (Bet on them getting there).

Think this will be 2-1 to Germany with Klose and Podolski getting a goal each. Messi to break his duck also

Schland oh Schland!!!! I so hope the boys do it today, either way, we´ve had some great results this WC and have a squad for the future! Still, beating the argies would top things off!

Ordinarily, I'd be all over Argentina for the win here, but the way Germany have played has been delightful to watch.

I'm hoping for one of two things:

• A fast-paced, attacking match full of lots of goals
  • An all-out war, with crunching tackles, dives, strops and closed fists

I really can't picture Germany playing the same tactics as they did in their last game, as Argentina's attack is way too potent to play counter-attacking football against, I'd say. Would be better for Germany's chances, and for the neutrals, if they went for the jugular; either figuratively or literally. ;)

Archived