Game file Verifies in Editor - But get crash dump when go to start save game. Please help.

ThePav

Hello,

I help run Clayts' discord. And we had created a whole universe for FM24 for a network game. We have just drafted 18 teams. And we have a whole league pyramid. Replacing Gibralter. And the file is pretty much good to go. Just need to add the players to the squads. I have transferred this over from FM23 and the game verifies in the editor and all advanced rules seem ok. But I get a crash dump when going to start a game in FM24. I have no idea why.

I really don't want to have to do all this work again. So if somebody can look at this and try and work magic. That would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Isle of Clayts FM24 NWG.fmf

3 hours ago, drajen said:

In my case all rules verified, but in right upper corner it says "not verified" What should I do?

Untitled-1.jpg

Verify one by one. That will do the job. Not pretty, but is a workaround for the moment.

Ok, to make a distinction so we know we talk about the same thing

A data file is a file with data edits only and does not need to be verified
A competition file is a file with a competition in it, and possibily data, and needs to be verified.

The issue with the crashing for competition files has been reported and will be locked at.

On the date file front, I am seeing no issue with a 4800 change file that I am currently running and have imported from FM23 to FM24.

3 hours ago, RussoTuristo said:

Seems like game crashes with ANY editor data file

Just created an empty team in FM24 editor, tried to start save with this file and game just crashes

No, what you are saying that anay editor file crashes, it is not true. No entirely sure what the issue is with your file, but since I have no idea what the exact change is, it is hard to judge.

I have a competition file (from FM23) that crashed the game while trying to create a new save.

Then I removed all competitions form file, so there's no Nation/Competition Rules in it anymore, only data. And the game still crashes.

7 hours ago, lukavski said:

So it seems like it's a portability issue

Not necessarily. My file is from FM23 and works, another file from FM23 doesn't work, so portability apparently is already different between them. I have a boatload of FM22 files I am going to test tonight, so might be fun.

It might a case of which changes are in the file @crooy3 could you PM me your file that crashes?

10 minutes ago, priority76 said:

Is this meaning currently no competition edit files are working?

I am hearing various reactions. For some competition files work, for some they don't. I can't find a common denominator yet for why things work or don't work.

I imported my FM23 files and it said that they were verified without testing, but in game it was impossible to load them because they were not verified. I copied and pasted the competitions into an FM24 file and again it was impossible to check them. In the end, if I kept going division by division, it worked. I was able to load them in game and launch a game without a crash but I didn't play so I don't know if it's viable.

On 07/11/2023 at 00:14, crooy3 said:

I have a competition file (from FM23) that crashed the game while trying to create a new save.

Then I removed all competitions form file, so there's no Nation/Competition Rules in it anymore, only data. And the game still crashes.

On 07/11/2023 at 15:10, lukavski said:

I will send you my file. It's a custom fantasy league in Luxembourg.

Even when I combine the data on the file with an entirely new file in FM24, the game crashes. 

I have tested both your files in the game.

I have run the Cro file with several competitions (Croatia, Germany, Spain, England, Slovenia, France) and I stop the simulation in january 2024
I have run the Luxembourg file and (since it had only the Luxembourg nation set) I stopped the sim in 2026

No issues to report.

So also no clue what is going on here.

What systems are you playing on? I am playing on a Windows machine via Steam.

Tested it again, still crashes between choosing Game Mode (tried with all three Game Modes), and the screen where we can pick Active Leagues.

Tried it on both Windows 11/Steam and macOS Sonoma 14.0/Steam. Same result.

9 minutes ago, crooy3 said:

Tested it again, still crashes between choosing Game Mode (tried with all three Game Modes), and the screen where we can pick Active Leagues.

Tried it on both Windows 11/Steam and macOS Sonoma 14.0/Steam. Same result.

Bizarre. I am on Win11/Steam and used the Original game mode. I loaded just that file and nothing else.

I am lost at this moment what it could be.

Ok.

Now it works.

I believe the problem occurs when you configure a non-default folder as the main folder for data in the game.

That's the only change I made besides reinstalling the game.

(Also, I exported my file, Imported it and verified it again just in case).

2 hours ago, lukavski said:

Ok.

Now it works.

I believe the problem occurs when you configure a non-default folder as the main folder for data in the game.

That's the only change I made besides reinstalling the game.

(Also, I exported my file, Imported it and verified it again just in case).

You wanna say you had the editor data folder moved on different location? Not in Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2024 but on different location? And moving back to original location helped?

I tried the same, not working for me.

Edited by crooy3

Yeah I had configured it in another folder (another drive also).

I moved the file to the default folder, then exported the file with the Editor, imported it, verified it and saved it with another name.

That's all I did (besides reinstalling the game and verifying the game's cache in Steam).

Yeah I had configured it in another folder (another drive also).

I moved the file to the default folder, then exported the file with the Editor, imported it, verified it and saved it with another name.

That's all I did (besides reinstalling the game and verifying the game's cache in Steam).

Did everything you just described here. Still the same thing.

6 hours ago, lukavski said:

But good to know it's a local problem.

I wouldn't be so sure it's completely a local problem. There's for sure something broken in the game, but it' difficult to discern what triggers that "bug".

I installed the game on another PC, fresh installation, everything on C drive (both game and SI folder) and now, I managed to create a new save. But it's not as smooth as we would expect. 

Every time I go to database settings (small, medium, large) when creating a new save, I can pick between those three options but if I click to Advanced, then the game crashes.

So, on a fresh game, I can create a new save, but can't make Advanced Database settings.

4 minutes ago, crooy3 said:

I wouldn't be so sure it's completely a local problem. There's for sure something broken in the game, but it' difficult to discern what triggers that "bug".

I installed the game on another PC, fresh installation, everything on C drive (both game and SI folder) and now, I managed to create a new save. But it's not as smooth as we would expect. 

Every time I go to database settings (small, medium, large) when creating a new save, I can pick between those three options but if I click to Advanced, then the game crashes.

So, on a fresh game, I can create a new save, but can't make Advanced Database settings.

It's a matter of taking away variables until you come to the outcome.

I have been in testing since 2005 (not FM related, it's my outside FM job) and reasons for crashing programs have been between the mundane (developer error) and the bizarre (finding out the only difference between two settings was that one setting had a non-dotted i, language setting was Turkish).

News!

I made everything again (EXACTLY as I did it before): Unistalled the game, erased all data and cache, reinstalled it with only my file in "Editor Data" folder. 

Now the file works.

So, maybe the whole game's compatibility with the file's specific data gets corrupted when combining the file with some other custom data in a new save? That's my guess...

There must be a compatibility problem when the game tries to process the file in a new save.

And it doesn't seem to be a problem with competitions or structures, but rather with the data itself (Teams, players, etc).

Edited by lukavski

News!

I made everything again (EXACTLY as I did it before): Unistalled the game, erased all data and cache, reinstalled it with only my file in "Editor Data" folder. 

Now the file works.

So, maybe the whole game's compatibility with the file's specific data gets corrupted when combining the file with some other custom data in a new save? That's my guess...

There must be a compatibility problem when the game tries to process the file in a new save.

And it doesn't seem to be a problem with competitions or structures, but rather with the data itself (Teams, players, etc).

So a ID conflict in a sense?

Edit: We had an issue with conflicting IDs that weren't randomised or something the like in (I think) FM22.

Your file, is that taken from FM23? Can you combine that with a FM24 file? I am theorising and testing some stuff here as well.

Yes, it's from FM23.

I couldn't combine it when it got corrupted. It didn't matter what league I was customizing, or what country, the new file got corrupted too.

I will try to merge it now with the file working to test it.

23 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

So a ID conflict in a sense?

Edit: We had an issue with conflicting IDs that weren't randomised or something the like in (I think) FM22.

Your file, is that taken from FM23? Can you combine that with a FM24 file? I am theorising and testing some stuff here as well.

4 minutes ago, lukavski said:

Yes, when the file is working, I can merge the data with any new FM24 file.

I think you are right, it must be some ID conflict between some FM23 files and FM24 data.

Could you check the bug tracker for any crashing bug logged and add your thoughts and findings there please?

Had the same thing with my finland advanced database for days, nuked the cache folder in /appdata/local and the fm folder in the documents and merged the db with an empty fm24 one for good measure and now it works? (Also the db file is now the only file in the editor data folder dont know if that helped though)

Edited by Maikol

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Maikol:

Had the same thing with my finland advanced database for days, nuked the cache folder in /appdata/local and the fm folder in the documents and merged the db with an empty fm24 one for good measure and now it works? (Also the db file is now the only file in the editor data folder dont know if that helped though)

I tried this workaround and it doesn't work for me.

Hopefully this gets fixed asap.

I have an issue which may be linked to what is being discussed here, although I'm not getting a crash. 

I have got my euros database from fm23 to verify in fm24 (I've adjusted the dates to 2023 from 2022 within the database). However after verification the new competitions do not appear in fm24. The competitions present in the game are the old ones I have removed or changed, and to add further confusion they never start. I wonder could this have anything to do with me bringing the fm23 file into the fm24 editor and then verifying? Maybe some corruption from old data? I don't know, and what is puzzling is when I test the competitions in the editor everything works fine. 

I didn't want to have to rebuild the whole file, but maybe I'd have to 🤔

Did you try to export and import the file? Sometimes this works.

Yes, the data conversion from FM23 to FM24 seems to be the problem.

I also have a continental league file verified in FM24 (from FM23) that never starts in the game.

I'd wait until december for a fix before rebuilding everything in FM24.

Edited by lukavski

3 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Based on other threads, whoever has crashing, can you try cleaning the cache and preferences and see if that helps?

I had the same problem and when i deleted my cache and preferences folders and then reopen FM24, it worked. Hope this help you!