The Fox & The Lion: Fable of Two FM Roles (or Guide To Getting The Best From False 9 and Poacher)

• crusadertsar changed the title to False 9 + Poacher = Perfect Striker Partnership (Guide To Getting The Best of Both Roles)
  • crusadertsar changed the title to The Fox and The Lion: The Fable of Two FM Roles (or Guide To Getting The Best of False 9 and Poacher)
On 18/03/2023 at 15:36, crusadertsar said:

To be an effective bait for opposition defenders, a good False Nine has to possess a certain skill-set. This skill-set has to make him appear dangerous to opponents.

On 18/03/2023 at 15:36, crusadertsar said:

This will make him impossible to ignore and thus compel defenders to follow him and try to mark him out of the game.

After reading this wise words I fired up FM and checked some games! I was terrorized to see that when my DLF was on his "moving" phase the opposition CD's didn't follow him but let him move until he received the ball. Then the opposition MC's were closer to him and they marked him. I know you're talking about the F9 here but do the above quotes should  also apply to my DLF, right? So, he doesn't seem a threat to them! Right? RIGHT? :)

• crusadertsar changed the title to The Fox and The Lion: The Fable of Two FM Roles (or Guide To Getting The Best From False 9 and Poacher)
On 19/03/2023 at 00:36, crusadertsar said:

False Nine Role Models

As a good example, Brighton Albion's Alexis Mac Allister not only possesses most of the required attributes of a good False Nine, but also has an ideal combination of traits. Specifically, "one-twos", "arrives late" and "killer balls" traits.

image.thumb.png.b312bd78f862a6b644c0313db373d2e0.png

7 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Part 2: What Makes The Best Poacher?

*Snip*

I'm watching this closely as I've just signed Mac Allister for my Everton side. I've pinpointed a poacher in Jovan Milošević originally from FK Vojvodina in Serbia as a poacher as I didn't think my current strikers suited the role. I'm hoping as a 19 year old he can develop like Sesko and see a lot of similarities - I just saw Sesko as out of my price range:

image.thumb.png.6df134445a524a5a1e5135dcbe6b3d02.png 

I'm interesting in your 4-2-4 as I have a 4-4-2 I'm using but with a deep lying forward/advanced forward combination which I want to change as once I lost Dominic Calvert-Lewin I also lost goals. A lot of it was due to my DLF not being suited to the system but without Calvert-Lewin I couldn't cover for the DLF anymore.

Why did you go for a 4-2-4 to fit in your F9? My general feeling is a 4-4-2 would suit better as it would allow players to start deeper and run past as the F9 is dropping potentially opening up space. I get in your system it probably plays more like a 4-2-3-1 but with only a poacher as the out-and-out goal-scoring threat and a lot of buildup players it seems there would be a lot of frustration in there.

I'm looking forward to seeing this series in full.

47 minutes ago, nick1408 said:

I'm watching this closely as I've just signed Mac Allister for my Everton side. I've pinpointed a poacher in Jovan Milošević originally from FK Vojvodina in Serbia as a poacher as I didn't think my current strikers suited the role. I'm hoping as a 19 year old he can develop like Sesko and see a lot of similarities - I just saw Sesko as out of my price range:

image.thumb.png.6df134445a524a5a1e5135dcbe6b3d02.png 

I'm interesting in your 4-2-4 as I have a 4-4-2 I'm using but with a deep lying forward/advanced forward combination which I want to change as once I lost Dominic Calvert-Lewin I also lost goals. A lot of it was due to my DLF not being suited to the system but without Calvert-Lewin I couldn't cover for the DLF anymore.

Why did you go for a 4-2-4 to fit in your F9? My general feeling is a 4-4-2 would suit better as it would allow players to start deeper and run past as the F9 is dropping potentially opening up space. I get in your system it probably plays more like a 4-2-3-1 but with only a poacher as the out-and-out goal-scoring threat and a lot of buildup players it seems there would be a lot of frustration in there.

I'm looking forward to seeing this series in full.

Thats a hell of young poacher you have there! Will develop very nicely I bet.

I haven't really decided yet on whether 4-2-4 would work better than 4-4-2 for my team. Was just giving some examples of role combos. But generally in FM23 I see players with support duty dropping quite deep and honestly making 4-2-4 not much different from 4-4-2 during attack phase at least. 

And its true, my intention was to have a sort of 4-2-3-1 in attack. I am still rather obsessed with Brazilian 4-2-4 from my earlier thread :)

Edited by crusadertsar

@crusadertsar without seeing the rest of your 4-2-4 I am seeing some common threads in your tactic builds. The right inside winger looks like a Marcus Edwards-esque type player, the double pivots look to be Daniel Bragança and Manuel Ugarte while the right back looks like a Pedro Porro-type.

I love the idea of two CM-Def as it is customisable enough to make one a lot more free in the midfield (I've put an example below) while the other covers. With the players I think you are using I reckon you'd have Ugarte as the stock-standard and Bragança in a more playmaking role. Both should still cover hard for the four forward players in defence while being free enough to pick out passes in attack.

image.png.bc0772f793da9ed7b9de8723b4226c84.png

Sorry for pinching your thread with my guesses of your tactic. Let me know if you want anything deleted. Like I said; I'm pretty keen to see how it all comes together.

5 hours ago, nick1408 said:

@crusadertsar without seeing the rest of your 4-2-4 I am seeing some common threads in your tactic builds. The right inside winger looks like a Marcus Edwards-esque type player, the double pivots look to be Daniel Bragança and Manuel Ugarte while the right back looks like a Pedro Porro-type.

I love the idea of two CM-Def as it is customisable enough to make one a lot more free in the midfield (I've put an example below) while the other covers. With the players I think you are using I reckon you'd have Ugarte as the stock-standard and Bragança in a more playmaking role. Both should still cover hard for the four forward players in defence while being free enough to pick out passes in attack.

image.png.bc0772f793da9ed7b9de8723b4226c84.png

Sorry for pinching your thread with my guesses of your tactic. Let me know if you want anything deleted. Like I said; I'm pretty keen to see how it all comes together.

You are not pinching it at all mate! The whole point why I open threads like this is to generate discussion. I love it! And you are not far from it :brock:

@crusadertsarI wonder if you care about attacking width when you're using the 424? Since it's only a 2 man midfield formation, do you go narrower? Or because you use 2 IW (unless you use "stay wide" PI in any of them?) you keep it normal?

Other question is if you care about your IW's preferred foot?

Thanks! Another cracking thread

Edited by mikcheck

Good thread. These 2 roles have 1 thing in common: They do not move into channel in default setting.

This provide constant existence in the middle pitch and penalty box, also clear up the half space for other role to exploit.

On 26/03/2023 at 09:24, mikcheck said:

@crusadertsarI wonder if you care about attacking width when you're using the 424? Since it's only a 2 man midfield formation, do you go narrower? Or because you use 2 IW (unless you use "stay wide" PI in any of them?) you keep it normal?

Other question is if you care about your IW's preferred foot?

Thanks! Another cracking thread

Exactly! I use the most narrow instruction possible. In FM23 it is actually a nice method to make sure that your wide players are cutting inside as they are supposed to according to their role. I noticed that oftentimes even when you use IFs or IWs they wont cut inside consistently if you play with anything but "narrow" width. 

Yes, for sure I want both of my wingers to play on the opposite flank from their preferred foot. My whole strategy depends on them bringing the ball nside and providing central support to the false nine and poacher while the wingbacks/fullbacks overlap and feed him crosses.

Edited by crusadertsar

Oh I'm so enjoy your posts!

F9 is one of my favourite roles in FM. I was so happy to realize that SI improved f9 mentality for higher. Few months ago I created beautiful tactic in positive mentality:

Treq (a) --- F9 (s) --- IF (a)

Mez(a)---BBMs)

DLP(d)

WB(s) - CB - CB - WB(s)

It's not always productive (team could be soft in attacks), but always beautiful passing. Especially I'm enjoying how trequartista moves away from flank and mez has a lot of space. Sometimes treq stays even behind mez :)

F9 has a key role in this, I checked DLF and other roles, but only F9 does it effectively and beautifully 

Edited by Novem9

20 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Test and see

Test results (after changing width to narrow) in 4 games:

AML (IW - S)

Game 1: 7,8 - 1 goal

Game 2: 6,8 - 0,15 xG

Game 3: 8.0 - 2 assists

Game 4: 7,3 - 1 goal

AMR (IF - A)

Game 1: 6,6 - 0,16 xG

Game 2: 6,4

Game 3: 8,8 - 2 goals

Game 4: 6,7 - 0,18 xG

Result: Relatively satisfied but there is room for improvement...

Il y a 2 heures, vkastanas a dit :

Test results (after changing width to narrow) in 4 games:

AML (IW - S)

Game 1: 7,8 - 1 goal

Game 2: 6,8 - 0,15 xG

Game 3: 8.0 - 2 assists

Game 4: 7,3 - 1 goal

AMR (IF - A)

Game 1: 6,6 - 0,16 xG

Game 2: 6,4

Game 3: 8,8 - 2 goals

Game 4: 6,7 - 0,18 xG

Result: Relatively satisfied but there is room for improvement...

still they have to learn this new shape

16 horas atrás, Drikcey75 disse:

what do you mean? it's better to play narrower when using double pivot?

I'm just saying that maybe it's not the best option to play wider when you use a flat 442 or any other formations with just 2 bodies in the middle of the pitch

I've been trying to get the best out of shadow striker by using false nine and pf A/S/AF upfront for almost two weeks now. False nine is always nice to see but I don't always see mine dropping and taking defenders with him to make spaces for shadow striker. I rarely use it, I'd say it's more aggressive DLF? Been thinking to use the old school poacher with big guy as TM like the old days after reading this, maybe I'll give it a try if I'm at the limit with no way out with current forwards setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Part 3: Step-By-Step Creation of My Poacher+False9 Tactic (and with Regista thrown in for good measure)

Thanks for patiently waiting guys :)! I feel like its been a long time since my last update. But then being sick with the dreaded Covid (my 1st time!) for the last couple of days was no picnic. So bear with me if my writing is a little more long-winded than usual. Trust me, at the end of the day, this part of the guide has a very clear purpose even if it might take more than one update to convey everything that's on my mind. 

New Data Update, New Save... New Challenge

To start of, the point of this guide is to give a little insight into how I go about selecting a "perfect" tactic for my "perfect" poacher role. The word "perfect" being a relative term of course. To me, I get most satisfaction when a specific tactical shape succeeds in enhancing the best qualities of a specific role. You could even say that both the role and tactic were made for each other. In neither case, do I mean that my example player is the best possible representative of the role. Or that my tactic is "bestest" (sic), "killer", "exploit" tactic to score you a thousand goals in 5 seasons. If that's what you are looking for then this guide is not really for you. I am sorry. In Football Manager, I don't play a game of absolutes. No, simply because there exist no absolutes in football. And FM is a realistic sport simulation.

So what will I choose as my "Perfect" Poacher tactic? First, there is the shape.

ppt1.png.a2c59c9ee4090facd649344ac8eb182c.png

Narrow, three-in-the-back shapes have become rather popular lately in Football Manager. To tell you the truth I have been trying to oppose this trend up to now by soldiering on with my deeply Brazilian 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-4 tactics. But then with the last data update (and the first rejuvenating smells of spring in the air) I decided to try something different for my final FM23 save (or so I hope). Cue the screaming from my inner FM hipster who always stubbornly goes against the popular grain.

Naturally, this shape is actually very conductive to getting the best results from a single goalscoring striker like a poacher. There are sources of support from the wingbacks via crosses, midfield and centrebacks via long passes and closer up there are short passes, lay-offs and one-twos from the AMC and supporting striker. In other words it is already starting to look like your "Perfect" single attacking striker tactical system, whether your goal-scorer is a Poacher, Advanced Forward or Target Forward. 

When I create my tactics, the next important step I take is to decide upon the player roles. If you were paying attention so far (or just read the title :D) then you can already guess two other roles in my system. So along with the poacher, only 8 more left. Or 7 really, because to tell you the truth unless I am going for (spoiler! I am not) some kind of hardcore Total Football possession-hungry, high-pressing tactic, I don't really care whether I choose a regular Goalkeeper or Sweeper Keeper. So most of the time I will simply play my keeper in the position that he is most suitable for. In my current team, it happens to be Sweeper Keeper (S). But you can choose whatever works best for your keeper. It really won't matter for the larger tactic.

pp2.png.64399d5f1d15661bc93ebf1526204ee9.png 

At this point, in the tactical creation process, I have not settled yet on my overall team mentality and team instructions. That's normal, since most FM players tend to adjust those two quite a bit in the early phases of tactic testing. Many things might still change.

I am not aiming for any specific style, such as possession or counter-attacking football. All I want is for my Poacher to excel more in this tactic than he would in others (not specifically created with his role in mind). Then the real challenge will come in trying to fit my False Nine and Regista into this formation, and make them work well alongside my Poacher. From my previous guide piece, you might already guess that getting Poacher and False Nine should not be a problem at all. If anything, the two roles are practically made to be played side by side. What I am more worried about is how the Regista can contribute to this wonderful Poacher/FalseNine interplay. As you might ask, was it really necessary to stick another exotic role into a tactic that perhaps did not need it? My question back to you. Do you love Italian Football? Football from late1980s to 1990s Golden Era? 

Conducting The Symphony From Deep

image.jpeg.7cb824d4d766ea5710d2e9210dfe5387.jpeg

ttgyjt8zsrrieobgyhma.thumb.webp.5b9318b0b0bc5d7dbe692c3a4ffb24ee.webp

There is a good reason why both Poachers and Registas have been two defining roles throughout the history of Italian football. They both make the sport much more exciting.

Regista is primarily a very creative and unpredictable ball-passer who is given full freedom to create (from a deeper position) and to constantly look for chances while his more advanced teamates get into goal-scoring positions. By that definition, he should be a perfect foil to the Poacher, who is constantly looking to get into goals-scoring position. Indeed, regista functions best when there are runners all around him. Moving targets for all his passes. In this context "runners" are players who attack opposition space, and most importantly those who attack from various strata in the formation. I cannot stand predictability in my tactics. While opposition managers love it, of course, because it allows them to better plan their defence against you. So let's not give that to them! Afterall, as virtual football managers we are in it to win. And best way to inject unpredictability/tactical variety into your tactics is by staggering the locations of your attacking runners.

NOTE: To be an attacking runner in your tactic a role does not necessarily need to be on spect duty, support or attack. That is irrelevant to the greater tactic. What is by far more important is their individual mentality and various hard-coded (traits) and player-added instructions. 

pp3.png.13d2441bdb3a7945e3d5a9bc2c524143.png

In my emerging tactic, as you can see in the image above, there are quite a few potential runners. Not all will be aggressively getting into goal-scoring positions, like the Poacher, but all will contribute in their way to help the Poacher score. Whether by overloading an area and causing AI defenders to abandon their positions and as a result giving more room to the Poacher. Or by providing wing support and crosses to your striker. On their own, runner contributions might not seem like much but when part of the bigger tactic, they can easily overwhelm the opposition defences already stretched thin by your dual striker system. 

Similarly in the last image, the blue lines show my regista's passing connections, like a spider in a middle of his net, positioned perfectly to reach the maximum number of teammates with his long pin-point passes. So do you still think registas are a bad idea in a False9/Poacher-focused tactic?

As it stands, the core of my tactic has been established except for a few specifics such as team instructions. I am leaning towards starting with Balanced team mentality to keep things simple and to see how the roles behave initially. For now, the only thing I know for sure is that the point of the tactic is to get the best out of three exotic roles: Poacher, False Nine and Regista. The three thrive on either space creation (False 9), space exploitation (Poacher) and chance creation (Regista). For these reasons, I don't think the football we should be aiming for should be too fast paced or too direct. Or even too possession-heavy with it's usual high pressing. So we will have to settle on something between all of these extremes. 

TO BE CONTINUED in the next update ... Revealing Tactical Instructions, my 1st (and hopefully last :lol:) Save Reveal since FM23 Winter Data Update, and detailed analysis of The Roles (individual instructions).

Edited by crusadertsar

Well… I didn’t see a shape change coming. 

I toyed with something similar years ago when I was trying to get the RWB to act as a playmaker. I used a shadow striker with the false nine then so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a role change there as the tactic progresses. 

Just now, nick1408 said:

Well… I didn’t see a shape change coming. 

I toyed with something similar years ago when I was trying to get the RWB to act as a playmaker. I used a shadow striker with the false nine then so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a role change there as the tactic progresses. 

Yeah, the shape change kind of came with save change and new team

:brock: don't be tricked by support duty on AMC. Like I mentioned before it's the combination individual mentality, personalized instructions and traits that I look for. All that support duty does in this case is make my AMC start positionally deeper and more eager to help out midfield when out of possession. But when attacking he can be just as aggressive as your vanilla shadow striker. Anyway more details on specific roles soon :)

• crusadertsar changed the title to The Fox & The Lion: Fable of Two FM Roles (or Guide To Getting The Best From False 9 and Poacher)

Update 4: Tactical Instructions and Save Reveal. Closer Look at Roles

pp4b.png.0611fdc7e96ae925bcfeffa765646c47.png

The above team instructions are not set in stone but I foresee only a few adjustments here and there as I continue playing the matches (and watching them mostly in full). The biggest change came with the team mentality. I started out with Balanced mentality and we blew away our opposition during the pre-season friendlies. Mostly winning by a margin of 4 or more goals. Although our competition were not our equals, they should not have been pushovers. One was recently relegated to Italian Serie B (Genoa) and another was AEK Athens, one of Greece's elite.

Anyway, I learned to not pay too much attention to friendlies. The real test comes in the first month of regular season. On to the regular matches in League One "Uber Eats" and Champions League. Things have suddenly become much more competitive. After two matches (Away and Home) and two frustrating draws I decided to up the team mentality to Positive. Voila!

8FC987ED8B7305C9BD09786007D8F17960F4D0C7 (1600×900)

3-0 dismantling of mid-tier Nantes. Very pleasing results indeed. We totally controlled that match, both offensively and defensively. Three nice non-set piece goals from out attacking trio. One apiece from each position in the tactic's attacking trident of Poacher, False Nine and AMC(S). Poacher's 2nd goal of the season at that (more on his first goal soon).

I believe that staying on Positive mentality is just better suited to achieve the methodical (but not too direct), vertical ball movement that I am aiming for. Honestly in FM23 most of my tactics have been on Positive mentality as I never really like ultra defensive nor "balls-to-the-wall" attacking football. And have always found Positive (Control) mentality to be perfect for progressive possession/vertical tiki taka style. We control the ball when we need to do something with it and don't get hung up on all those possession numbers.

Setting up my instructions, I started with those that made most sense to me (because of playing with the Poacher). 

Mid-Block - I did not want high-block so as not to compress the valuable space behind opposition defence that my Poacher thrives on. Similarly, the other extreme of Low-Block would turn this into too much of a counter-attacking kind of approach which neither suited the reputation of my team (Marseille do not counter-attack unless it's PSG) nor the abilities of my chosen Poacher (not the fastest player around). So mid-block it was

Pass Into Space - works well with my chosen mid-block instruction and choice of Poacher and False Nine up front. I expect there to be quite a bit of space since we won't be aggressively pinning the opposition lines with our pressing. And once the False Nine drops back into our midfield, I expect even more space to develop for the Poacher to run into. So naturally I want my AMC (with individual instruction to "get further forward") and Regista to start passing more into these spaces for the Poacher to take advantage off. 

Higher Defensive Line - Goes together with Mid-Block like honey and butter. I am a believer in optimal defence being rather compact (but not overly so). So if line of engagement is standard (mid-block) then my defensive line should be one notch higher than standard (high defensive line). If I was playing High-Block then I would use much higher defensive line. 

Stop Crosses and Trap Inside - our main defensive strengths are in 3-in-the-back centreback unit. So why not use it? Especially since our main weakness is the blatant lack of bodies on wings. So I intend to invite them (opponents) into the centre and encourage them to try to play the ball through our three centrebacks and two DMs. Let them try haha 

Take Short Kicks, Distribute to Centre-Backs, Play Out Of Defence, Work Ball Into Box, and Focus Play Through The Middle - All of these were selected in hopes of discouraging low-chance long shots and encouraging more optimal midfield passing support towards our poacher. I prefer mid to high-chance passes (green and orange boxes in tactic image above) from False Nine, AMC and DMs as opposed to the low-chance crosses from the wingbacks and wide centrebacks (red boxes). 

3-Men Defence & The Puyol Role

(Pass it Shorter and Take Fewer Risks - the only individual instructions on all 3 CBs here)

The main idea behind my three-men defensive setup is that the central stopper will push forward aggressively and try to close down the most forward of opposition attackers. He will do this as quickly and early as possible. But he also has another purpose in acting as the deepest creative player to link between our keeper and midfielders. If you use a creative libero-type player here then you could create a sort of deep playmaker who cab initiate attacks from deep and connect even better with your regista and segundo volante. 

Essentially, while my wide centre-backs hold their positions and cover the zones out wide, the Stopper will engage with the opposition forward to reduce his time on the ball and try to regain possession as quickly as possible. A sort of deep destroyer. Or perhaps this crazy man reincarnated.

image.jpeg.265ecb98b027b7dbdb0e8ea3728c5d79.jpeg

My ideal stopper is former Barca lengend Carles Puyol. No-one would get past him and he always gave 100% effort to try to regain possession from deep. What a player! Puyol used all of his defensive skillset (but especially tacking and strength) in order to disrupt the opposition striker's ability to control the ball.

A good stopper, even if he does not completely stop the opposing player, will nevertheless reduce his chance to shoot accurately on goal from central area. And when I tell my team to channel the opposition centrally (Trap Inside) that is exactly why. I want them to run into my Stopper. And be stopped. 

The best Stoppers will require only a few key attributes but the higher values you can get here the better the results will be. Honestly, I would try to get the best possible player for this position. He along with your Poacher (obviously) will make or break this tactic. For this role to be effective you will need the player with above average determination, bravery, aggression, decision making, tackling, passing and pace. While Work Rate is also highly recommended. As well as Jumping Reach, which, naturally for a player operating in defence, needs to be at least average. "Gets Forward Whenever Possible" and "Brings Ball Out of Defence" are two traits I look for.

pp5.thumb.png.6735b70a357bf3cc66c863c1f02ce3a6.png

The following clip recorded my Poacher Vitinha's 1st ever goal for Marseille. The Portuguese 22 y.o sensation blasted one from up close through stubborn Reim defence. Eventhough we went on to draw that match, it was still a special goal, and a beautiful build-up that led up to it. I especially enjoy it because it shows all of the elements that I discussed above coming together (like my choice of roles and team instructions). Things will happen very fast so before you watch it, I will quickly run you through what essentially is a very rapid series of vertical passes - an ideal transition from your defence to opposition net. 

The play starts out with a short pass from our keeper which in turn lands the ball at the feet of my stopper Kolasinac (image above), who then dribbles with it for a short distance before passing it to the regista Guendouzi. The regista then passes immediately and incisively to the next creative link in the chain, The False Nine, Dimitri Payet, who then proceeds to connect with our Poacher via one beautiful cutting pass. And the rest as they say is history. 

Oh and by the way, this is my 1st choice Poacher, former Braga man Vitinha. He was my favourite player in my old Braga save, scoring at almost goal per game rate in Portuguese Premier League. He has 6 goals in 6 apps already, so I expect he might bring this tradition to his new club as well.

9CD4065045B1B6366C2D3385FDCC712218B95F77 (1600×900)

More to come :brock:

Edited by crusadertsar

2 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Did try the Defense set up, how is the conceding of goals @crusadertsar or how stable is your set up working towards the nil. 

Generally I am very happy with my defence. Very few goals conceded. But it's only been about one month in-game of testing. 

67989BEEC672DAAD1E863B543D84A0AEE5160774 (1600×900)

While Expected Goals Per Game for the league is 1.43. Compared to our 0.56 so far. 

Mind you this is still early on. Although I don't see why it would change alot unless we get a lot of injuries in our defensive unit. 

Edited by crusadertsar

And here are some early results.

C2C909660FAF11A8C99B70AED5850FA3F9607D3E (1600×900)

Had a really nice sequence of form in first half of September. Especially in Champions League. That's a whole lot of zeroes there :D although luckily not on our side

The bad 2-3 loss to our local arch-rival OGC Nice is the only sore spot here. But we will find a way to get our revenge. And our consolation is that they are currently not doing so hot and about 7 spots below our 2nd position in the league. 

Edited by crusadertsar

My only concern right now is that our scoring is not spread through the team at all. The Poacher Vitinha is hogging all the spotlight :lol:

poacher1.png.a43059f2acc074e1168c0b3e53b9c057.png

Although, that is kind of the point of my whole tactical system and the objective of this experiment. To see how I can get the Poacher firing on all cylinders and maximize his goal output. SO by that account the tactic has been a grand success so far. I guess it's just the pessimist in me who is wondering what will happen once Vitinha is injured, eventually.

I am somewhat reassured by the fact that I have this poor man's Poacher on the bench as a contingency plan. Never heard of this player before scouting him but his attributes look just great for the role! Palestinian too!

C23A6681AF32D8BFD7EFAB3E80AF5875D85B5398 (1600×900)

Heck, I didn't even know that Palestine had a football team. Anyway, don't know if he will be able to score at a higher level but from his attribute profile sure looks like a hidden gem.

Edited by crusadertsar

Man that are big results @crusadertsar love your writings, they have such a huge impact on my game some of my favs. 
I am deep in my 1860 save and have issues at the back despite investing the main gold into Defense. My setup is very close to yours (also 3ATB in similar roles). Try to implement more of this here.

my main scorer is a SS which is very cool as I love the role but all 3 AM score plenty. My SS is just a newgen posted a pic in the „secret of goalscoring“ thread by @Cleon something like finishing 7 and OTB 11 or 10.

Strikeforce: AMa SS APa 

But Defense has issues… I’ll report back.

Update #6: Final Tactical Refinements and Details

This update will not be as extensive as the previous ones but will be more about refining some important details about the tactic such as the choice of roles and individual instructions.

Firstly, I made a few minor adjustments. It is mainly to enhance the "countermovements" that I talked about in the last update.

modtactic.png.87f23b443e0088fdac26b1af2f62c7ee.png

As you can see the main idea is still that False Nine will be dropping deep and dragging opposition defenders with him. At the same time I gave a more conservative role (with hard-coded hold position instruction) to the DM directly behind the False Nine. I would like nice link-up between the two but at the same time I want the DLP to give more space for the False Nine to do his thing. The Regista was moving to high up and operating in the higher midfield. And that is the area that I want my False Nine to make his own, sort of like Advance Playmaker for the tactic. At the same time my AMC(S) role is actually my Shadow Striker role in everything but name. 

1FD79BCD2A29E05EFBF65E628514AB9D2FF978D4 (1600×900)

As you see by his individual instructions, it is meant to be a very aggressive attacking role in the final third. Just like a Shadow Striker he has "very attacking" individual mentality. Mentality plays a big role in how the player behaves even before you take any of the hard-coded instructions in account. In the end, the only reason I chose the "Support" duty is to make sure that he starts deeper than vanilla Shadow Striker role would when in defensive positioning. If you use a hard-working player here than the other added benefit is that he will drop more readily to help defend against opposition counterattacks and help win back the ball. 

Other than the AMC, the two roles that will benefit most from the False Nine dropping deep are the right Wingback (Attack) and the Poacher obviously. They are both on Attack duty and thus will be moving aggressively into the gaps formed in the opposition defensive line (as it reacts to the False Nine). The wingback will try to expose any opposition weakness on the right flank while the Poacher will do so centrally and also drift to left to give more space to the AMC, whose main focus will be the half-space channels on either side of the poacher. This way we ensure a three-pronged attack, with the fourth attacker (segundo volante) arriving late to take advantage of the disruption. For this reason, a long-shot attribute is a nice bonus for this player.

veretout.thumb.png.b46a8135fa59e4d45e9be761e125f3d2.png

The left-flank wingback is also not to be forgotten as he is another source of crosses towards my Poacher. He is not going to be running aggressively to the byline like his right-hand counterpart but I am still telling him to "cross more often" and hopefully he will also chip in with some diagonal passes towards our attackers. As you can see from the instructions, I am really trying to set up this role as big source of crosses towards the tall Poacher Borja Iglesias. But not necessirily push forward towards the byline like the right wingback would. 

leftwingback.png.eea35074903c198083e048c5f7656fde.png

Speaking of crosses, ideally I want my Poacher to be a versatile player capable of taking advantage of all kinds of support whether they be central passes or floated crosses. Thus Heading and Jumping Reach are important attributes for all my Poacher candidates. But in general if you can get a striker with a wide tool-set of abilities . So ideally a tall striker with great Heading, Long-shots and Technique (important overarching attribute that basically defines how well he uses his other technical skills). This will ensure that he will get the best chance to take advantage of every single pass or cross given to him. Essentially, in football I don't believe there is much separation between good Target Men and Poachers. All good Target Men should be good Poachers, and vice versa.

If you are looking for an example, here is one great choice for a versatile Poacher candidate.

borja.thumb.png.d36144eb2ad520c2ba2f8cb510fe8289.png

The change from Regista to DLP was part of my attempt to make the tactic even more solid in defence than it was already. I intend this tactic to be my main tactic for the Champions League. A sort of "Giant-killer" tactic which will hopefully allow us to advance as far as possible in the continental competition. Initially I went with Anchor+Segundo Volante combo. I still think it is probably the best choice here but my player suited the DLP role much better and I wanted to take advantage of his creativity. But on another team and with another player, I would probably go with an Anchor. 

Another important element in my defensive diamond (with the DLP dropping deeper), is my central centreback (on stopped duty). That is another specialist role that you need to be careful in picking to make sure that he possesses suitable attributes. Real Betis' Luiz Felipe is a very good candidate for this demanding role. I highlight in red those attributes which I deem essential for the stopper role. Your chosen player might not possess all of them, but having most will definitely help in making the defensive trio more effective.

CBSTOP.png.7ac89f81a94c20c9699e0cd04f55a712.png

As I mentioned before, the idea here, is to have a physically imposing aggressive player to step up from the defence and try to disrupt any opposition attacks, try to win the ball back quickly and pass it on to either the more creative DLP and SV or the wingbacks. This is part of our "playing out of the back" strategy to progress the ball gradually from deep and get it quickly to more creative players who in turn can get it to the attacking trident (of False Nine, AMC and Poacher) as soon as possible via vertical passes and crosses. Essentially the style I am aiming for is one that is a mix between fluid counterattack and vertical tiki taka, but generally just aesthetically-pleasing attacking football. And I am hoping that with the right set of players to fill the core roles we can achieve just that. All that is left is much testing. But I am hoping that some of you might be motivated to try this tactic out and report back here on how it works for your club. I would be very interested :)

:brock: PerfectPoacherTactic.fmf

Edited by crusadertsar

Hi Crusadersar,

Great thread, it gave me some inspiration for a new save and tactical challenge.  I've always stayed away from any variety of 4-4-2/4-2-4 as I always struggled to make it work and this gave me the impetus to have another shot and its going much better this time!

I did have one question though, have you noticed that the role suitability ratings appear to be bit odd for false 9s.  For example I have this youngster who performs fantastically for me as a false 9 (13 goals in 17 games after I signed him in January).  However, the game rates him as 3.5 stars for DLF, but only 1.5 stars for false 9, despite having marginally better attributes for a false 9 (most of them are similar).  Is this a bug or is there a reason?  Like I say its not effecting his performances, it just means he gets irritated with playing in a role that he doesn't suit, yet he clearly suits it at least as well as the DLF-s (at least as near as I can tell given the attributes both want).

I'd appreciate any insight you can provide :-)

image.thumb.png.6c351046e64534423be06c540b6bdf89.png

Edited by WhyMe

4 minutes ago, WhyMe said:

Hi Crusadersar,

Great thread, it gave me some inspiration for a new save and tactical challenge.  I've always stayed away from any variety of 4-4-2/4-2-4 as I always struggled to make it work and this gave me the impetus to have another shot and its going much better this time!

I did have one question though, have you noticed that the role suitability ratings appear to be bit odd for false 9s.  For example I have this youngster who performs fantastically for me as a false 9 (13 goals in 17 games after I signed him in January).  However, the game rates him as 3.5 stars for DLF, but only 1.5 stars for false 9, despite having marginally better attributes for a false 9 (most of them are similar).  Is this a bug or is there a reason?  Like I say its not effecting his performances, it just means he gets irritated with playing in a role that he doesn't suit, yet he clearly suits it at least as well as the DLF-s (at least as near as I can tell given the attributes both want).

I'd appreciate any insight you can provide :-)

image.thumb.png.c51889f7a540911f48f86bc772b93907.png

The only reason why the game rates him better for DLF role is probably because of his balance and strength (key for DLF). But he also possesses excellent dribbling, passing, technique, flair and agility which is probably the reason why he is performing so well as a False 9 for you. Anyway, your example shows exactly why I do not pay any attention whatsover to game's star ratings for roles. They don't matter. All I care about is whether the player has the key attributes that are needed for him to perform his duties in the specific role. And this player has all the attributes required for a decent False 9. 

Edited by crusadertsar

Thank you, that is what I thought, seems to be a bit of a glitch in the role ratings system.  It is a bit irritating that he keeps getting upset about being played in an unsuitable role that is actually very suitable, but while its not affecting performances I'll just have to ignore it.

il y a 18 minutes, WhyMe a dit :

Thank you, that is what I thought, seems to be a bit of a glitch in the role ratings system.  It is a bit irritating that he keeps getting upset about being played in an unsuitable role that is actually very suitable, but while its not affecting performances I'll just have to ignore it.

Hi, did you try to individual train him to this role?