The Ultimate Poll: Best version of the series.

Your Favourite Incarnation?!  

1,179 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favourite Incarnation?!

• Championship Manager 93 (93,94)
    • Championship Manager 2 (CM2, 96/97, 97/98)
    • Championship Manager 3 (CM3, 99/00, 00/01, 01/02)
    • Championship Manager 4 (CM4, 03/04)
    • Football Manager 2005
    • Football Manager 2006
    • Football Manager 2007
    • Football Manager 2008
    • Football Manager 2009

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's got to be 07 for me, and i don't think you looked too hard mate, i started one of these the other day.

You started it a week ago and it hasn't had any posts since 26th Nov, and it was called "Best FM", both words that aren't included when using the forum search engine.

Like I said, I looked long and hard, but I wasn't going to go through every archived page looking for other polls.

09 was always going to get a disproportionate amount of votes because it's new. It's the same as these polls of the 100 greatest things ever that Channel 4 do - you always get people/shows/events/albums that have been recently prominant higher up the list than they deserve.

There's absolutely no way of judging a version of FM until you've played it for months - the longevity factor is what decides a classic version of this game from an average one.

Although my first CM/FM game was CM 4, CM 03/04 still remains my favourite due to the amount of fun I had playing it. May have also been to do with the fact that I was young so had nothing to do.

I reinstalled 03/04 recently and I still think it's brilliant. Still runs too slowly on a 2007 machine though :D

I'll always like CM03/04 because it was a version (the only one really) in which I was able to filter lots of players through from my youth team into the full team and build a squad with a very strong core of those players. Admittedly that was mostly down to one of CM03/04s biggest flaws though - that physical attributes, especially pace, had far too big an impact in the match engine and a fair few youth players had great physical attributes and could be pretty naff technically, but still perform like a collosus!

For me it has to be 96/97.

I was tempted to say 01/02 but i can't really remember any of my saves to be honest (having said that rarely remember them anyway).

96/97 was the first CM/FM i bought and i played it for so many hours it was untrue. If i remember, Andy Liddell was a machine in my newcastle save......

....wheres the support for CM2 though!? All you very-young ens' obviously don't remember those dizzy days.

I remember the odd spread sheet you used to get that mapped all of the player awards at the end of each season. Oh the memories!

On reflection there are only three titles that I feel strongly about;

CM2 (97-98) - Was the first game I played and as such i'll always look back on it fondly.

CM4 (03-04) - It was fun, and that's that. It wasn't great, but I really enjoyed mucking about with it.

FM08 - The first time i've had a decent amount of self made success, with tactics etc. Longest career save.

I picked FM08, it was the first of the FM series that I really got my teeth into and IMO had a good blend of difficulty and fun. I haven't given FM09 enough of a chance yet to give a reasoned opinion on it's merits.

• SI Staff

CM 97/98 and CM 01/02 were games that I remember very fondly - probably because that was a stage of my life when I had a lot of spare time to play all day! :) I've been working on CM/FM since CM4 and I think there are probably aspects of every version that the people who worked on them are very proud of and enjoy.

My own personal opinion is that FM09 is the best version because I know from playing and working on it that the improvements that have gone in have taken the game forward and that is the only direction to go. In the same way, I fully expect FM2010 to be the best version when that comes out.

CM 97/98 and CM 01/02 were games that I remember very fondly - probably because that was a stage of my life when I had a lot of spare time to play all day! :) I've been working on CM/FM since CM4 and I think there are probably aspects of every version that the people who worked on them are very proud of and enjoy.

My own personal opinion is that FM09 is the best version because I know from playing and working on it that the improvements that have gone in have taken the game forward and that is the only direction to go. In the same way, I fully expect FM2010 to be the best version when that comes out.

How very corporate :D

The first CM i played was the red disc, Zidane was at Bordeux. Can't remember what year it was, could of been just after Blackburn won the league, or maybe just before. Might have been called CM2 i can't remember, but comparign that to 2009 my god how times change!

• 2 weeks later...

CM '93, it was a revolutionary footy managment game at the time, most football manager games (and I bought them all, just to get that one break) were *****, when I landed CM '93 I was overseas for the Army so I stuck with this other game for a while. But when I came back after 6 months and had a two week leave, well, I never left the game again.

The CM 97/98, I started the journey with the 96/97 version, but the following year release got me really (and I mean REAAAAAAAAAALLY) hooked.

Never stopped playing or buying my copy since then, FM 2007 was pretty great and I think FM2009 is the best so far, just need some patch to correct some issues, otherwise, fantastic stuff IMHO.

André

2005 was my first fm game, and I loved it and played with that version the longest. SO I voted for it. 2007 was better, but I couldn't get into it as much as the '05 version. And yeah.. 09 is still too buggy to be playable for me but it has the potential to be the best FM.

Archived