Do you... Don't have the players... Going to do it anyway..

I have a base idea of the football I wanna play. I can't have my own team bore me to death (meaning, park the bus, almost never have the ball, defend much more than attack, playing "anti-game" and etc). But before deciding on a formation, yes, I try to analyse the players I have. Some teams get better with a 4-1-2-3 (4-1-4-1 ingame), others with a 4-2-3-1, some rare times even a 4-4-2... but the basic, positive idea of football, one way or another, needs to be present, or I can't even watch my damn team...

• 2 months later...
On 17/11/2019 at 09:34, Dagenham_Dave said:

I base my style on the players I have when I take over a club, and it evolves from there as I bring better players in. 

Same here. 

I look through every player and identify those who are starting potential, make a note of every possibility position they can play, and make a hierarchy for each position available. 

Then I puzzle-piece a starting 11 together and make the tactic from there. 

After that, a position that is the weakest is the one I replace first. If I find a much better player than I have currently, that’s in a new position, I’ll see if I can modify the tactic to suit them. 

I stay with my tactic bcs yrs of trying taught me that playing medicore tactics bcs the Players fit in does not going to get you long way - it is better who learn whom of your Players can adapt and let the transfermarket take care of all other.

Edited by Etebaer

The first season I adapt with what I have because you cant do much tranfer business in the first season, no one buys and your budget is often not big enough for big changes.

Soon as second season hits I sell my wingers if they cant adapt to play deeper in a midfield 4 and start to build a team that plays counter attacking 4-4-2

I have a style I want to play, but unless you are a top team you will almost always have to adapt slightly to the opposition you are playing. I am not going to use a high and heavy press against a very good side away from home as a relegation candidate, for instance. As I grow the club, I sign players who can play the way I want better than the current players, and slowly I can use my style more and more. I do not use a single style though, I use variations on a theme. I care about winning matches, not so much how I win them, for the most part.

I love taking a lower league side and concentrating on the business of football by turning my team into a player sales factory. With that being said, I always pick a formation at the start that I want to explore or find a way to make it work regardless of the players because if you aren’t a club in the top leagues of football, it’s relativeky easy to just sign players on free who not only fit the new formation but are probably better than your original players anyway.

also the formation I use is generally pretty vanilla with very few if any instructions to start so I don’t ask a lot early on, JUST WIN!

Edited by Ether_mR

I just realised that I usually pick one team at the start of the game, play with it until I find god formation and tactic. It varies from year to year. And after that I just buy players to accomodate this system on and on forever.

If I start another save with different team, I just try to use the old but gold tactic that worked on previous team, because IT WORKED BEFORE.

I have a formation I use, and a backup one thats slightly more defensive if needed...

It goes with me everywhere and if I can't fit the current players in, I'll find players who will.  Same at International level, I'll go looking through as many players from that nation in any given position to find a guy who can play the way I want to play.