Football Manager 2009 patch download details (was authentication and update)

argh!! why make a bloody code where it could be o or 0 or i or 1 its so stupid

It's because the process used in the printing format is "inkjetted" onto the manual.

Sadly inkjetter's cannot distinguish so well between "0" and "O", working in the printing trade this is quite a bad example of it however.

It's not SI's fault, who ever the printer was should have flagged this up as a problem early on.

*Shameless business plug, here Miles if you see this, drop me a line next time you need to do this process, Our presses can take this issue away for hardly any additional cost :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miles in regard to youre reply to me that i ordered wwsm instead

um yes i did would you like to know the reason,

because i was told ON HERE BY YOU IN FACT THAT IF I ORDERED WWSM SORRY LET ME CORRECT MYSELF PRE-ORDERED WWSM then i would get it at the same time as football manager was released , even though i actually asked in these forums if i ordered wwsm that it would be the same as football manager 2009 as i wanted to play it on the 14th but couldnt find it on steam (football manager 2009) as only wwsm was there , as a lot of other people found , and why should we wait an extra 3 days if the method for delivering the game is steam , its online ffs its not like you have to get discs printed or even manuals for that matter is it!

It's because the process used in the printing format is "inkjetted" onto the manual.

Sadly inkjetter's cannot distinguish so well between "0" and "O", working in the printing trade this is quite a bad example of it however.

It's not SI's fault, who ever the printer was should have flagged this up as a problem early on.

*Shameless business plug, here Miles if you see this, drop me a line next time you need to do this process, Our presses can take this issue away for hardly any additional cost :)

Surely a different font would have been better. One that allows a distinction between similar characters?

Someone as Sega/SI will have ok'd the final product.

Miles,

This is all a little odd. I know it isn't your decision to not allow those of us with Steam pre-orders not to be able to activate, when those who have copies that they shouldn't have can activate via Steam but you would think there shouldn't really be one without the other.

Nevermind though as it's still earlier than promised which is great.

Some of you need to grow up and get off SI's back for God sake. Reading some of your posts and it makes you sounds like your crying over not being able to play a game. Just wait an hour or two or wait till tomorrow, its not the end of the world.

Nice work Miles, the change list for the update looks perfect and I am very grateful.

So SI have given into the actions of 'unscrupulous' retailers by allowing the activation before the actual release date?

So the people who get the game through 'a good retailer' like STEAM still have to wait?

Is that not the most contradictory thing SI has done during this release?

• SI Staff
can you update with STEAM if you have a MAC?

No - STEAM is PC only, and, as per the original thread, there is no Mac update available yet.

Miles does that mean that whenever I'm connected to the internet and playing Football Manager, Steam automatically recognises that, or if I activate using Steam is it possible to change settings so that it doesn't automaticallly load up?

Great work with the update by the way, very impressive

If you are connected and playing, STEAM recognises that, yes.

There's a big thread on STEAM where all your questions should be answered!

This is seriously annoying me now, the product key is doing my head in I have 4 1's or could be I's and two O which could be 0

a

I genuinely feel your pain, fingers crossed you and others manage to guess your codes but...it's a very, very funny situation. Does make me laugh :)

• SI Staff
FM09 Box Version - use UNILOC, it worked for me 1st time. All small letter.

DO not use STEAM, it will not work for another dayas that is when it is getting unlocked on STEAM

Use UNILOC.

it gives you the option to choose which 1 you want to use during installing on the DVD

That is complete, and utter, rubbish.

In this case can anyone explain what's the advantage of buying it through steam then?
Some of you need to grow up and get off SI's back for God sake. Reading some of your posts and it makes you sounds like your crying over not being able to play a game. Just wait an hour or two or wait till tomorrow, its not the end of the world.

Nice work Miles, the change list for the update looks perfect and I for one and grateful.

The problem is that we paid extra through steam for the "privilege" of playing it at release date. Now the counter for FM on steam is 1 day 2 hrs. If we have to wait 1 day later then what is the advantage of buying it through steam?

Right, that's it - everyone, next year do not buy the digital download from Steam, this is a f*cking joke. Really hacked off.

I wont be either, im sorry but is very wrong imo. I actually paid a few quid extra to get the game from STEAM, thinking that this was the best way to purchase it. Well it now seems that it is the worse way to get it.

ok than...it appears that steam buyers can or can not authenticate?which one of you, that BOUGHT FROM STEAM, were able to get a license key and were able to authenticate?cause i bought from steam, i pre loaded, i got no activation key and the game says that it is still unavailable

I wont be either, im sorry but is very wrong imo. I actually paid a few quid extra to get the game from STEAM, thinking that this was the best way to purchase it. Well it now seems that it is the worse way to get it.

I've tried to be nice to SI, backing them up when everyone was complaining about the injury bug and people not being able to play on crappy laptops.

But this is just stupid. How can the STEAM activation be allowed to go ahead, but the actual game through STEAM is still locked?

well MILES i tried every combination. Lucky for me I only had 1 O or 0 and 1 I. I tired everything over an dover for 30 minutes and it said Invalid Code. Even though I bought it legally from EB Games.

I tired it 1 time on UNILOC and it worked fine. Now I prefer UNILOC over STEAM any day of the week.

Sure, STEAM may work for some users but if it doesnt all I am saying is to use UNILOC, STEAM may do your head in if it doesnt work after a while.

Miles, do you know why some can download, activate, patch and play as we speak - when some has to wait an additional day? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to to find a proper answer to it.

I want an answer too. Mine said 6 hours until unlock, then it changed to 1 day and 1 hour! This is extremely frustrating!

Why are you still trying to promote steam!!

Steam quite obviously are the easiest and best way to keep your game updated. I can't believe the idiocy some people are coming out with. It's like a bunch of really spoilt and not particularly bright kids! Steam are a retailer who have kept their integrity and stuck to the specified release date. Just because in the past, or other people have got the game before they actually should, doesn't make that right, and certainly doesn't make it wrong when they/you can't/don't! It's absolutely incredible that it seems the vast majority of posters are those who are complaining. I would imagine that although it is a majority of posters, it's probably just because it's a very vocal minority, as so often the case when groups of relatively unintelligent people have a shared irrational/spoilt outrage. All Steam have done is not released the game before they should, I can imagine hoards of Football Manager fans tearing through the streets demanding that shop owners open up now to sell them the game immediately, ridiculous!!

okkkkkkkk.....it appears that steam has made their own rules...do not think that is correct...definetly not going to buy from steam anymore...backed them up(steam) when people were complaining...but now, definitly will not anymore...SI should have told steam that they want the game out on XX date, and so should have been...why the hell do many of us should have to wait because steam is steam?will not figure that out not even in 10 years

Steam quite obviously are the easiest and best way to keep your game updated. I can't believe the idiocy some people are coming out with. It's like a bunch of really spoilt and not particularly bright kids! Steam are a retailer who have kept their integrity and stuck to the specified release date. Just because in the past, or other people have got the game before they actually should, doesn't make that right, and certainly doesn't make it wrong when they/you can't/don't! It's absolutely incredible that it seems the vast majority of posters are those who are complaining. I would imagine that although it is a majority of posters, it's probably just because it's a very vocal minority, as so often the case when groups of relatively unintelligent people have a shared irrational/spoilt outrage. All Steam have done is not released the game before they should, I can imagine hoards of Football Manager fans tearing through the streets demanding that shop owners open up now to sell them the game immediately, ridiculous!!

WTF are you chatting about, if they are so great why is it saying one day and 1 hour to release??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

dont no why everyones moaning its still not passed 14th nov just wait 3 and a half hours u have waited a year all ready most people dont have it. one minute your all moaning for them to release the patch and let people activate the game and now your moaning about it give them a break.

People have got the game before they should.....thats not a big deal for me.

The thing that ****es me off slightly is that SI have now allowed early activation (wouldn't **** me off if I had the game in my hand ;)), one of the ways is thorugh STEAM. I ordered from STEAM, paid a little bit extra becuase I thought I could get in a little more game time (what a 'tard), but now I'm made to wait because I was a good boy because I ordered from the ONLY people that are honouring the release date!

Steam IS rubbish. Trying to promote them is pointless and expect complaint after complaint in the months to come. Tbh I would rather wait a few days and have an update that corrects ALL the errors found on the game than one which won't do the whole job or do it poorly as it was rushed. If SI gave an initial release date then they should stick by it. Saying it is not down to them is untrue. If there are unscrupulous retailers then refuse to serve them. Its trading license agreements to comply with the rules set by suppliers, if this is not done then you can lose your right to sell a product. The only ones who disappoint here IS Steam. First they set different dates per area/country and then they release an update that WE were promised would not be ready until "Official" release date. And we get the statement that it hasn't been tested on all graphic cards because there wasn't time! It's released early, there was plenty of time. Ppl will be complaining for months on these forums and the rest of us will have to put up with it because of Steam being rubbish and SI failing to keep their word.

okkkkkkkk.....it appears that steam has made their own rules...do not think that is correct...definetly not going to buy from steam anymore...backed them up(steam) when people were complaining...but now, definitly will not anymore...SI should have told steam that they want the game out on XX date, and so should have been...why the hell do many of us should have to wait because steam is steam?will not figure that out not even in 10 years

SI/Sega DID tell "steam that they want the game out on XX date" - and that's exactly when Steam are getting the game out... unfortunately!

Archived