The game is hard this year

ill admit i am newcastle but i get destroyed every away game i mean 4/5/6/7 nil every time whether is southampton wolves huddersfield or chelsea man city. scraped 1 draw at home to brighton my best result  (played 11 prem games now),  using the basic cautious counter attack with a standard  x mas tree formation, bought 2 top top players in my opinion and my scouts -  giani simone and victor kovalenko.

i feel like ive strengthened  this newcastle team with 2 decent signings, what could i possibly have done to loose 95% of games? 

how are others getting on with newcastle? maybe this years version is beyond me right now, early's days ofc but god damn im genuinely gutted i cant actually face loading up the game right now.

off to youtube and the tactics forum i guess, but when im using basic tactics/templates i didnt expect such a horrendous start, i dont like too usually give my manager good rep+stats but i did on this save.

Why not just upload the save file so people can have a look what might be going on? Guarentee you there's things you can change that will improve results and at this point it might be in terms of morale and confidence (both of which are presumably through the floor) as well as tactics.

47 minutes ago, Domathon said:

close this thread please the save file is cursed my best result in 9 games was 3nil loss most were 6/7nil what a waste of a sunday.

Given the continual bleating from the forum about how easy the game was in the beta phase, this would suggest that maybe you need another set of eyes to look at your save and make some suggestions for you.

I had an up and down 1st season with Newcastle - managed to win the league cup but struggled in the prem and managed to finish 10th by the skin of my teeth...during that time, the club was sold and I was giving £130mil to spend in the next summer window by the new owner. Sold lot of the deadwood and bought some new players and went on a unbeaten first half of the 2nd season, only drawing 2 in all competitions. However, I struggled a bit during the 2nd half and had to tweak my tactics a lot more and just managed to win the league.

So far I’ve been terrible! I keep blaming the ME as my players just don’t seem to match the instructions I have given but them I’m convinced my tactics are wrong.

I started a save with Sunderland last night, I just used some standard possession tactics and thought with a couple of signings I would have a successful season. I CANNOT keep a clean sheet and every goal I concede is because of a long ball over the top! This doesn’t seem to improve even when I drop the defensive line. I’ve seen so many tactics posted with this high line of defence and wonder how are people keeping clean sheets.?

I can dominate possession easily 60-40 most games and yet need 4-5 chances to scores where the opposition are 1 shot 1 goal. Its driving me insane haha!!

Another thing I have noticed also is that I watch the key highlights of the matches yet there seems to be a complete lack of them. I will change the mentality to try and improve the amount of key chances and I will also give shouts to try and encourage the team to get forward but the clock often just runs down without anything remarkable happening.

I did think that maybe I was over complicating it. In league 1 im guessing most clubs play route one and maybe I should do the same. Maybe im trying to play “football” so to speak in a league where most teams just play long ball.

Any advice would be great!!!

I'm finding the difficulty greater than in the last few releases but not unduly so. Actually finding it a nice balance. Middle of my third season as Dortmund have only won a single cup. In the past I would have probably won everything barring the CL by now. Really finding young players take much longer to bed in and become consistent - even across a few seasons. This is a nice change, and an important one at a team like Dortmund where there are so many really talented prospects in and around the first team. 

I'm finding it easy, but after 20 years playing the series I just know how to get results.

Joint top of the Premier League with Everton after 11 games (won 9, drawn 2). Battered Spurs 5-1, Chelsea 3-0, drew away at Bournemouth 1-1 and Liverpool 3-3). No singings, I just edited a few PAs of a couple of youngsters in the editor before I started.

I suggest as others have to post your team and tactics so that other users can help you.

1 hour ago, true_valiant said:

Another thing I have noticed also is that I watch the key highlights of the matches yet there seems to be a complete lack of them. I will change the mentality to try and improve the amount of key chances and I will also give shouts to try and encourage the team to get forward but the clock often just runs down without anything remarkable happening.

Yeah, sympathise with this. My games are absolute snore-fests; the positive is that i'm not conceding goals or chances but conversely, i'm not making many either. My games seem to just 'happen;' no incident, no spark, no life, no joy. Just nothing.

11 hours ago, callamity said:

no its too easy

English Premier Division_ Overview Stages-4.png

its all siuational am afriad, 10 wins from 15 games would not get you into first place on my game in the premiership, in fact it wouldnt even get you into fourth and to actually win the title in 3 seasons worth of play, you would need 95 points plus.

On 05/11/2018 at 19:23, iAlwaysWin said:

its all siuational am afriad, 10 wins from 15 games would not get you into first place on my game in the premiership, in fact it wouldnt even get you into fourth and to actually win the title in 3 seasons worth of play, you would need 95 points plus.

1571840981_EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-8.thumb.png.32eb3d1fe27892874962783b7ec4e1f9.png

Of course it is situational, why would it not be. It is situational in real life.  

but I won the league in 1 year with relegation fodder so, how can it be hard.

Go to tactics forum, learn from the real experienced players, not the ones who post fixes without reasoning or logic and over achieving will become easy

10 minutes ago, duggyavfc said:

anyone had any luck on fmt yet playing as villa won the championship easy got of to a good start in prem but couldn't win a game after Christmas you guys as Newcastle and everton any chance of sharing tactics for em to have a look at please 

i posted both i used throughout the season in the newcastle team thread. keep in mind these might not fit aston villa

2 hours ago, callamity said:

1571840981_EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-8.thumb.png.32eb3d1fe27892874962783b7ec4e1f9.png

Of course it is situational, why would it not be. It is situational in real life.  

but I won the league in 1 year with relegation fodder so, how can it be hard.

Go to tactics forum, learn from the real experienced players, not the ones who post fixes without reasoning or logic and over achieving will become easy

I can't believe what I'm seeing in the screenshot. You won the league with Newcastle in the first season? :eek:

Newcastle IRL are miles behind Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal. I can understand finishing ahead of Man United but 1st?? :idiot:

79 points is the one of the lowest point totals the premier league has ever been won on though - it wouldn't have gotten the title in any of the last 10 seasons. It just appears the majority of other teams had a really poor year there.

8 minutes ago, callamity said:

i posted both i used throughout the season in the newcastle team thread. keep in mind these might not fit aston villa

i use touch mate are there any player instructions im going to give it a go how do u find playing the high line don't get caught out with balls over the top ??

34 minutes ago, duggyavfc said:

i use touch mate are there any player instructions im going to give it a go how do u find playing the high line don't get caught out with balls over the top ??

I have done. i took a couple spankings to balls over the top but once you learn to manipulate defensive shape it becomes the real game changer

i havent added an player instructions yet

1 minute ago, callamity said:

I have done. i took a couple spankings to balls over the top but once you learn to manipulate defensive shape it becomes the real game changer

or im guessing fast defenders help ive got james chester I think andy carroll would out run him haha 

5 minutes ago, santy001 said:

79 points is the one of the lowest point totals the premier league has ever been won on though - it wouldn't have gotten the title in any of the last 10 seasons. It just appears the majority of other teams had a really poor year there.

leicester won it with 81. that is only 2 points. Arsenal came second that season on 71 points. so a total of 72 points would have won the league

tbf, the simple answer is that the game is hard until you learn a few key tricks that are overpowered

The tactics forum often overcomplicates things because it's full off people trying to achieve very particular playing styles, or show that unusual things are possible. If you want to just win, the stuff that's overpowered (at least until the next patch) is relatively simple and plays quite nice and realistic football:

Spoiler

(1) Play a basic 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 shape (possibly with DMs, especially if you're someone Newcastle. At the very least you'll want your midfield pair to include someone on defend duty and someone that is prepared to run a bit higher up the pitch - like an anchor and a volante. You'll want at least one of the strikers on a less aggressive role to link the play, especially if you're using DMs). And you don't want too many fancy playmaker roles.

(2) Set your wide midfielders to a wide midfielder (attack) role that sits narrow, roams around, runs wide with the ball and crosses from the byline. These guys do a lot for you, and a lot more than the vanilla wide player roles. And set your fullbacks to cross from the byline, which will make them overlap. This combination is the critical bit.

(3) Be prepared to play at least some of the time on "positive" or "attacking", especially if you need a goal.

(4) You can leave most of the rest of the sliders in the middle. You probably want "counter", "counter press" and "play out of defence" on, and you probably want your keeper distributing it short. You can consider making passing a bit shorter and tempo a bit slower, especially if you're on an attacking mentality, and you might want to press slightly more than normal..

(5) Use a bit of common sense with the rest of player instructions, like discouraging players that can't shoot from shooting. Similarly, you can do common sense stuff during a match like making your fullbacks less attacking, your mentality balanced or lower and wasting time when defending a lead, especially late on the game when scoring another goal isn't really worth much and conceding could cost you points.

(6) Enjoy the nice tactical shape that plays nice, overachieving football.

Obviously there are other ways to win a match and other tactical shapes that overachieve, but this is reliable and not silly like some of the stuff that's worked really well in other FMs...

27 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

tbf, the simple answer is that the game is hard until you learn a few key tricks that are overpowered

The tactics forum often overcomplicates things because it's full off people trying to achieve very particular playing styles, or show that unusual things are possible. If you want to just win, the stuff that's overpowered (at least until the next patch) is relatively simple and plays quite nice and realistic football:

Reveal hidden contents

(1) Play a basic 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 shape (possibly with DMs, especially if you're someone Newcastle. At the very least you'll want your midfield pair to include someone on defend duty and someone that is prepared to run a bit higher up the pitch - like an anchor and a volante. You'll want at least one of the strikers on a less aggressive role to link the play, especially if you're using DMs). And you don't want too many fancy playmaker roles.

(2) Set your wide midfielders to a wide midfielder (attack) role that sits narrow, roams around, runs wide with the ball and crosses from the byline. These guys do a lot for you, and a lot more than the vanilla wide player roles. And set your fullbacks to cross from the byline, which will make them overlap. This combination is the critical bit.

(3) Be prepared to play at least some of the time on "positive" or "attacking", especially if you need a goal.

(4) You can leave most of the rest of the sliders in the middle. You probably want "counter", "counter press" and "play out of defence" on, and you probably want your keeper distributing it short. You can consider making passing a bit shorter and tempo a bit slower, especially if you're on an attacking mentality, and you might want to press slightly more than normal..

(5) Use a bit of common sense with the rest of player instructions, like discouraging players that can't shoot from shooting. Similarly, you can do common sense stuff during a match like making your fullbacks less attacking, your mentality balanced or lower and wasting time when defending a lead, especially late on the game when scoring another goal isn't really worth much and conceding could cost you points.

(6) Enjoy the nice tactical shape that plays nice, overachieving football.

Obviously there are other ways to win a match and other tactical shapes that overachieve, but this is reliable and not silly like some of the stuff that's worked really well in other FMs...

i dont have any tricks that are overpowered.

i havent followed that generalization hidden under your spoiler.  as that would have been a disaster for my team (newcastle btw) 

the tactics forums arent about over complicating things. they are about teaching concepts, logical thinking, analysis and application. If you dont learn these things and follow generalizations you will fall on your sword.

So far, starting german 3.Liga and promoted winner into 2.Bundesliga i am placed 3rd atm. which qualifies for Promotion Play Offs.

Yet i am only at 1/4 of the Season and the signs that my side is a weaker side be that i win by a slim margin and lose quite big usually resulting in the weakest goal difference of all top Teams having +4 compared to unbeaten Hamburger SV at a double Digit number already.

I can not conclude if FM is to hard or to easy or right - i won friendlies against Bayern Munich and Schalke 04 but lost quite big in the Cup against RB Leipzig and in the Leage against the 2 top runners having some 1:8 Goals and Zero Points out of that games that clearly show my side is to weak to keep up with Clubs that play seriously at any 1.Bundesliga Level.

My side is good in the Midfield area, average in the Goal and Defence area, weak at the Striker area, so it clearly shows - mentally and technically slightly below average but more speedy and taller than most other sides but one or two and i have no compensation for the absence of some Players if that occurs by injury or international Play etc.

I feel the game is most sensitive in a certain window of equal competetiveness yet outisde of that you either stand no chance or win almost anyway but i think that is a quite realistic behavior...

Atm i am not concerned about the challenge level of the game at all...

to come back to this, turns out playing through the middle with no wide players is very hard. (with the team i have? or mayb its just damn tough )

set up wingers, and the game feels abit easier already, still very hard for me but im not man utd real madrid etc 

Archived