[FM17] San Giovanni - Tearing down the Establishment

Bedese

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. No more sugar for now. Onto business:

18a053d010fff314099920dbebb89663.png

This is our Nations League Group. We're in the bottom division, but somehow Sweden have ended up here too, despite being ranked 37th in the world. They're going to walk this division, but that's fine. This isn't the Nations League Group that sends the winners into the Euro Playoffs - that's coming in two years. We don't actually want to win this. We want to stay in the bottom division to get an easier draw next time, and then win it in two years time, because that'll send us into the Euro Playoffs which will give us a chance to qualify for the European Championships.

ed940b612449cddb68072a5fd3db89a9.png

This is our WC Qualifying Group. It doesn't start until next year, but it looks like a pretty decent group. I wonder how we'll do.

Here's the bloke San Giovanni have hired to replace me:

b49d4f31028c09e5f85dbbb9fe706740.png

A 34 year old who's managed 23 games in his career for Virtus Francella in Serie C? Not impressed.

He's been busy in the transfer market, though...

11e967cde8756d0ba5ea805565ab8146.png

I reckon San Giovanni might make the CL Groups soon, you know. He's bought in a decent amount of talent (all in one day, too...)

10 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Would you mind showing some of your best non Dan Giovanni players?

Certainly!

I'm delighted to be linking back up with Andrea Muraccini (YP72)...

b4d2ef0dcf51a3fb2d1b705d480bec8c.png

We have two more really good non San Giovanni players - but unfortunately they're both also goalkeepers...

c732374b0da7ba9c3389dfad4d1fff2f.png

fa93cc2b300e6e49f3a55cc544f7c9a4.png

After that, there's not much. Fiorentino have a few players who are quite decent, with this one probably the pick of them:

3a358ec0ce19b80a93bf4d8deeffc26c.png

We're light upfront, so this Sassuolo targetman looks like he could be useful:

2d2d736cb5a20adda2b8c2f85f7fc2b1.png

19 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Here's the bloke San Giovanni have hired to replace me:

b49d4f31028c09e5f85dbbb9fe706740.png

A 34 year old who's managed 23 games in his career for Virtus Francella in Serie C? Not impressed.

He's been busy in the transfer market, though...

11e967cde8756d0ba5ea805565ab8146.png

I reckon San Giovanni might make the CL Groups soon, you know. He's bought in a decent amount of talent (all in one day, too...)

Eww.

"You seen the world rankings lately, Billy?"

"Can't say I have, truth told, boss."

"We're in at 166th. Guess that's something. The top, though... Columbia are first. Iran are 12th? China 22nd, Jamaica 24th? The Cape Verde Islands are 64th, for crying out loud. And North Korea 70th!"

Billy's eyes lit up.

"Did you say Columbia?"

"Oh, shut the f*** up Billy."

9eb10e82a5990070e568b6ad3a461a3e.png

That's an incredible way to kick off the campaign. Bulgaria are 55th in the world, and have some really good players. It's also our first World Cup Qualifying win for TWELVE years... I think I should have taken this job sooner. Twelve? Really?

We're arranging friendlies against teams high up in the World Rankings but who don't necessarily have a squad befitting of that ranking, so that we can hopefully draw against or beat them and start to climb up the rankings significantly ourselves. First one:

fe365ed553d820e0df44e284511fb659.png

These guys were 68th. Thanks for coming.

San Giovanni Update:

ebe0745ac54188655baeec3344a5d660.png

They did as well as we would have in Europe. Ain't nobody beating Marseille.

432670036d5227f2644ec4dbc5e510b8.png

A load of outgoings, and just three new players, all on free transfers (although they're pretty good).

Most importantly, though...

4d91bf570ddc100ed536451ff10a1ede.png

Check that Youth Recruitment ;) 

1 minute ago, Pacman Jones said:

After one season?

Says it all really....

100% agreed with that. They've had one season, didn't win the league, didn't make a European Group stage, didn't have a reputation increase, but they've been given an upgrade anyway.

d8751995bbb81820d606db791b2159de.png

I'm glad Belarus are in this Nations League group, because this is the one we don't actually want to win (which is just stupid... this tournament has a massive flaw). Hopefully they'll go up and we'll get a better draw in two years time.

I didn't actually want to win the Nations League group, so I just let our assistant take care of things and hope that he'd come second.

2ac5af3104ae3b861ad73925bd4deb95.png

f93d01b36659a16c33d4a4c488f49c1b.png

No idea how he drew to Gibraltar, but he beat Latvia twice and did come second, so that's okay with me. Nice work. We'll try to win this in two years time.

f0818d923a33600b9e041876ac17d227.png

Here's our WC Qualifying Group. Brutal.

7 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Good question. I haven't actually decided yet. What do people think?

Just for hall of fame sakes, I would continue with the original.. Unless you have visions of them playing in front of 80,000 fans at the Jamie Sewell Jnr Arena. :D

16 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

It's good to see some things don't change:

68934c3217f917b162309be035a9ef70.png

It'd have been the funniest thing if the AI managed to beat Dinamo...

12 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Good question. I haven't actually decided yet. What do people think?

I think you should keep the original manager.

And I think you've proven beyond any doubt that the youth recruitment thing is a bug.  There's only been 2 changes to San Giovanni, the human manager leaving and them now signing players.  Neither should mean a sudden change in policy when it comes to youth recruitment.

It's kinda depressing to know that youth challenges might be blocked because of this bug. Your San Marino save being the best example. Hopefully SI gives us more information and fixes this. I'm going to keep an eye on your thread in the bug forum. 

I'm wondering if this is just for the really small countries (Faroer, San Marino etc. etc.) or other countries like Hungary (where I have a youth challenge) too. 

8 hours ago, MADA said:

smp did a san marino youth thread where he managed to upgrade youth recruitment several times iirc? 

Yeah, he did. He started with Fiorentino who have a higher Youth Recruitment rating from the start, and he was also a lot more successful :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Miek said:

It's kinda depressing to know that youth challenges might be blocked because of this bug. Your San Marino save being the best example. Hopefully SI gives us more information and fixes this. I'm going to keep an eye on your thread in the bug forum. 

I'm wondering if this is just for the really small countries (Faroer, San Marino etc. etc.) or other countries like Hungary (where I have a youth challenge) too. 

I believe it's not just limited to the small countries, but I don't know that for certain.

On FM2017 my board has upgraded youth recruitment 3 times in 8.5 years on my Serbian save (Started as Fairly Basic).

On FM2016 I had to reach the CL final in Belarus before getting an upgrade though (Started as Average).

The circumstances between the 2 clubs are different though so I don't think it necessarily shows a difference between the 2 games.  I was selective though when doing my own youth only save on FM2017, making sure I chose a club with one of the highest youth recruitment ratings in the country because of concerns around the board's refusal to increase it.

7 minutes ago, Sir_Liam said:

On FM2017 my board has upgraded youth recruitment 3 times in 8.5 years on my Serbian save (Started as Fairly Basic).

On FM2016 I had to reach the CL final in Belarus before getting an upgrade though (Started as Average).

The circumstances between the 2 clubs are different though so I don't think it necessarily shows a difference between the 2 games.  I was selective though when doing my own youth only save on FM2017, making sure I chose a club with one of the highest youth recruitment ratings in the country because of concerns around the board's refusal to increase it.

Interesting info. Cheers :) 

I managed a team in Malta, but I do not remember what level the youth recruitment started at, but I believe it was at the lowest possible.

The only time I could ask for a upgrade was when the board asked ME for an opinion on something they wanted. For example, the board asked if I wanted to Increase the Coach wages. If I said that I wanted to use the money on other improvements, I could ask for Youth Recruitment upgrade. That was the only way I could upgrade it on that save. I have no idea if you have tried this.

I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Just now, Warg92 said:

I managed a team in Malta, but I do not remember what level the youth recruitment started at, but I believe it was at the lowest possible.

The only time I could ask for a upgrade was when the board asked ME for an opinion on something they wanted. For example, the board asked if I wanted to Increase the Coach wages. If I said that I wanted to use the money on other improvements, I could ask for Youth Recruitment upgrade. That was the only way I could upgrade it on that save. I have no idea if you have tried this.

I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Completely understood, but they never offered that to us as an alternative improvement :( 

1 hour ago, Jupjamie said:

I believe it's not just limited to the small countries, but I don't know that for certain.

I know I had little trouble pumping it up with Munster(German 3rd) or Bayonne(French 5th), but of course they're some of the very highest countries, and known for their youths.

Faroes you know about, and Ireland is proving somehow even harder to develop.

Archived