[FM17] San Giovanni - Tearing down the Establishment

Bedese

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

e74a161179f485f01062ab7871cf7eff.png

632fd14aff4f435e6950d1f7bdef9fb0.png

We battered Red Star both times and threw away wins. If we'd turned those 2 points into 6 like we should have, we'd have gone through. We're getting so much closer, but are we going to be able to take that final step anytime soon?

Gyazo is being slow, so this will take the place of a season review this year:

6dbc60a13d92f2af09d5ba564a441201.png

We're absolutely awful in finals. We suddenly forget both how to defend and score. We got the win, but does it need to be this nerve-racking?

The San Giovanni manager looked on from the sideline, helpless. He'd done all he'd could. He'd made his substitutions, told the team what to do. But to no avail. As they swept forward, making up for their effort by seriously lacking in quality, the manager's demeanour changed. For the first time in his career - even though it was tight - he didn't stay on the sideline.

"Nicola? Schedule a press conference for tomorrow morning."

With that, he turned and walked down the tunnel. Nicola, the assistant manager called after him, but didn't get an answer. As he turned back to the pitch to urge the team on for one last push, the final whistle went. Sigh. Maybe next year. He looked back towards the tunnel, but he might as well as saved the energy. The boss had disappeared.

38c54d7d7e582a00b5948d01a7dae5bb.png

5 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

The San Giovanni manager looked on from the sideline, helpless. He'd done all he'd could. He'd made his substitutions, told the team what to do. But to no avail. As they swept forward, making up for their effort by seriously lacking in quality, the manager's demeanour changed. For the first time in his career - even though it was tight - he didn't stay on the sideline.

"Nicola? Schedule a press conference for tomorrow morning."

With that, he turned and walked down the tunnel. Nicola, the assistant manager called after him, but didn't get an answer. As he turned back to the pitch to urge the team on for one last push, the final whistle went. Sigh. Maybe next year. He looked back towards the tunnel, but he might as well as saved the energy. The boss had disappeared.

38c54d7d7e582a00b5948d01a7dae5bb.png

:eek:

A young work experience kid in a cheap suit stood in a crowded conference room, surveying the scene. He didn't know San Giovanni had a room like this. To be honest, he barely knew San Giovanni existed. He didn't care about football. He was only here because it was better than detention. His attention was drawn - well, everywhere. The room was packed. 

"What's the big deal?" the kid asked his boss. "Why are so many people here? Who cares?"

His boss burst out laughing. "Man, you weren't lying when you said you don't follow football. Old man Sewell hasn't given a press conference EVER. He doesn't talk to the journalists. Hell, I don't even know if he can speak Italian! Apparently he was looking ill on the sidelines yesterday, too? Something's up, man. Pay attention to this. It'll be a cool experience for you. If he talks in Italian, anyway..."

A man in a tracksuit strode over to the podium. It figures that he wouldn't bother to get dressed up smartly for this. He never did. You could tell he was a filthy Englishma... anyway.

Like the man or not, he'd done a hell of a lot for football in the country. Even if he did refuse to speak to journalists... until now. 

"Hello? Is this thing on?"

Oh. He could speak Italian. A sea of "si's" rang out around the room.

"Right then. I have an announcement to make..."

Hundreds of cameras immediately burst into action. There hadn't been this much flashing since Sewell's court case in 2048. 

Questions poured out, but the words were lost in the noise. Sewell looked on, smiling.

"To answer your questions..."

"Why am I going? I think it's the right time, guys. I've been here 72 years. I only took the job because I'd came here on a stag do and been left behind. I've loved every second here, but it's time. I know that, deep down. I'm 92 years old. Realistically, I think I've done as much as I can for the club. We've been on an incredible journey, guys. We really have. I came here with the reputation of the football in this country in the toilet. We're not a joke anymore, I can tell you that much. But I've fought with the board over our youth policy for long enough. We just have fundamentally different ideas on the way we need to take this club forward. 

I've done all I can with the restrictions they've given me, but I can't do anymore. I'm tired, guys. We keep getting close, but we haven't made that final leap yet, and I think the club could do with a fresh face around the place. This is a great club. It really is, guys. I'd love to stay, but I know deep down it's for the best. So I'm retiring from club management, and that's final. I really wish San Giovanni well. I hope that the next manager can come in and take them further than I could."

"However... I'm not retiring from international management."

"Come on guys. You didn't really think I was walking away from football, did you? Get real!"

"I've always wanted to one day have the honour of managing the San Marino National Side. I've been offered the job before, but the time was never right for me with my club duties. But, I've been talking to Marco, Marco and Marco a lot over the last few days, and I'm delighted to announce that they've offered me the job to manage San Marino, and I'm absolutely honoured, and I'm thrilled to accept."

"San Giovanni might be over for me now, but that doesn't mean I'm finished in football here. We've still got a lot of work to do."

So, if you want the non-storyline version of why I'm stepping down...

Spoiler

There's a few reasons.

I think the squad has basically plateaued. We weren't really going anywhere, in truth. We're 70+ years in, and we've still never made a CL Group or an EL Knockout Round. I didn't really have an attachment to the current squad, either. Even though we had the best player we've ever had in Emanuele Gabriele (YP82b), I just... didn't care, really. We had a few holes, we were about as good as we'd ever been, and we weren't going to be getting any better. I didn't love any of the players in the squad, so it made sense that this would be a good time to step away.

The domestic season has become a slog, and that shouldn't happen when we're only actually playing about three games. The playoffs have absolutely done my head in. We'd probably be a hell of a lot further down the line if we didn't keep losing playoff games which then ruins our coefficient. I'm genuinely fed up of having a whole year wasted because we lose in a final where we had 30 shots to 5 against a team we've already beaten four times that year.

The main reason, though? It's the Youth Recruitment bug, man. The other teams have all upgraded theirs significantly, and we're still stuck there the same as we were 70 years ago. We're not going to be able to progress with Youth Recruitment so limited, and we're not going to get it upgraded with a human manager. I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on San Giovanni to see how they're doing both on and off the field, and I'm praying that they start to seriously invest in youth recruitment. We've left them with a very healthy bank balance, a massive stadium, and a squad that's good enough to be winning the league, even if they (as I expect) sell their best players for peanuts to foreign clubs. They've got a massive wage and transfer budget, too, so they might even be able to improve the squad...

Just because Jamie Sewell is retiring from club management, that doesn't mean we're necessarily done with San Giovanni in this save... ;) 

9 hours ago, aldish said:

Could you share the facilities, reputation and youth recruitment of the other clubs?

Certainly. I'll put a table up in the next post.

5 hours ago, MAMRICCA said:

maybe as you step down Youth Recruitment will improve!

That's the hope :D 

4 hours ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Could you not have used the In Game Editor to up the level by one to see if it kick starts it in?

I could have, and I debated doing it, but it just felt a bit weird editing the youth recruitment manually (even though we definitely deserve a higher level).

4 hours ago, yugo23 said:

Or you could take over another Sammarinese club, with better Youth Recruitment?

I also thought about that, but only briefly. I'm a one-club man :D 

1 hour ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Maybe they might finally beat Dinamo... :D

Will you take the job again if they improve their youth recruitment?

I don't want to say I'll definitely take the job up again, because it's not definite, but it's a strong possibility. It just depends how things pan out.

Here's all the information for the teams in San Marino, with the value at the start of the game next to the value now:

d5d95323056413cd487389887408e41e.png

Every single team has improved their Youth Recruitment more than once - Fiorentino even have their's in double digits! Despite being by far the most successful team in every category ever, we couldn't improve ours once. 

Get to work, AI!

10 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Here's all the information for the teams in San Marino, with the value at the start of the game next to the value now:

Every single team has improved their Youth Recruitment more than once - Fiorentino even have their's in double digits! Despite being by far the most successful team in every category ever, we couldn't improve ours once. 

Get to work, AI!

It is pretty off putting, thought about bumping the other thread you made a while back with this info, see if SI respond again, they may have forgot/hope you guys forgot about it

1 minute ago, Bood said:

It is pretty off putting, thought about bumping the other thread you made a while back with this info, see if SI respond again, they may have forgot/hope you guys forgot about it

I've just done it ;)

Quick question, in the post you've just linked they talk about the chairman needs to be inclined towards youth in order to upgrade. Would philosophies not help the cause? Have you tried asking them to assess how you bring players through the academy, they might be slightly more willing to allow for better recruitment? 

6 minutes ago, flux963 said:

Quick question, in the post you've just linked they talk about the chairman needs to be inclined towards youth in order to upgrade. Would philosophies not help the cause? Have you tried asking them to assess how you bring players through the academy, they might be slightly more willing to allow for better recruitment? 

We've had that philosophy for most of the time there, it didn't change anything :( 

It's a shame to see you leave San Giovanni because of what appears to be a bug with youth recruitment.  I've felt that from other save games I've read about on here too.

I'm glad you've reported it as a bug.

9 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Get to work, AI!

Yeah, they didn't want to confirm that this was a bug right? Quite compelling evidence that something is wrong, I've got similar results even with a couple of board changes..

1 minute ago, aldish said:

Yeah, they didn't want to confirm that this was a bug right? Quite compelling evidence that something is wrong, I've got similar results even with a couple of board changes..

All I know is that they put it 'under review' a few months ago. Hopefully we'll hear whether they found anything soon.

"Well then, Billy... here we are."

Oh, you don't know Billy? Let me introduce him, then.

e3264ebe72c25ec2100a44d5275f2722.png
This is Billy Edwards, my PA. He's been with me since the start, has Billy. I couldn't ask for a better PA. Except for the drug habit. See, Billy has a bit of a problem with cocaine. It keeps things interesting, anyway. He's not too bad, most of the time. I'm also partial to a bit of nose candy, truth be told. It's not a problem, mind. Definitely not.

"Just going to make a cup of tea, boss. You want one?"

"Not right now, Billy. I'm sorting out the rest of our staff. There's a few decent names that I reckon we could snag."

"Suit yourself."

*Ten minutes later...*

"Err... Billy, did you happen to make your tea with sugar?"

"YEAH BOSS I DID I REALLY LIKE SUGAR IN MY TEA IT MAKES IT SO MUCH SWEETER I LIKE SWEET THINGS"

"Billy... did you ****ing take the 'sugar' from that tray in the kitchen?"

"YEAH BOSS I REALLY LIKE THAT TRAY IT'S SILVER I LIKE SILVER ITS MY FAVOURITE COLOUR AND IT'S REALLY SHINY AND..."

"Billy... that wasn't sugar..."

"OH NO BOSS I THINK I MADE A MISTAKE I JUST WANTED SOME SUGAR I PROMISE BOSS I REALLY DID"

"...."

"WELL **** YOU BILLY THAT WAS MY ****ING STASH OF SUGAR!"

(Thanks to @Keano16for this particular piece of madness).

Archived