[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BoxToBox said:

Incredibly excited to see where this goes.

Thanks, man!

Gunnar has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a burning desire to prove himself.  Should be very interesting!

The board are insisting we play strikerless.  Sure, I'd love to.  

But, I'm not entirely sure we're capable of it ... much less confident in my own ability to pull it off.  I had planned on the tried-and-true "keep it simple stupid" approach for starters.

The board isn't having it.   What good is hiring Telleus' son to play a bog-standard 442, they ask?

I've fobbed them off for the time being with some platitudes about "needing to assess the squad."   Let's see how long they buy that one, shall we?

Got to think a change of tactics is due.. The Decapitated Buffalo looks like it's worth a shot ;)

Partizan is a good fit. It's like starting with Malmo again, but obviously in Serbia instead.. and with Partizan. You'll have to freshen up the list of eligible clubs, removing the achievements during Hakan's lifetime. Ah I'm excited about where this could go.

7 hours ago, wynter said:

Awoke to perfection :applause:

Thanks, man!

6 hours ago, Rikulec said:

What a beautiful twist. Long live Gunnar!

Gunnar! Gunnar! Gunnar!

5 hours ago, HawkAussie said:

Long live Gunnar and let the story continue onwards. It would be actually be interesting to see how big the size of the file is becoming with all of those leagues and results.

It's about 208M right now. I removed Turkey after competing Fener, and Scotland after the World Cup. 49k (ish) players, I believe.

18 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Got to think a change of tactics is due.. The Decapitated Buffalo looks like it's worth a shot ;)

Partizan is a good fit. It's like starting with Malmo again, but obviously in Serbia instead.. and with Partizan. You'll have to freshen up the list of eligible clubs, removing the achievements during Hakan's lifetime. Ah I'm excited about where this could go.

I've been thinking long and hard about tactics, and one clear option I've been favouring is to convert the shadow strikers to inside forwards, basically a mix between the libero tactics I've been using with Decapitated Buffalo.

In terms of the narrative, I think I have to play some form of strikerless with a libero -- the defining characteristics of Telleus' tactics since Leeds. Anything else strikes me as inconsistent with the story as it is set up (for the moment, at least, until Gunnar earns his own credibility as a manager).

I hadn't thought about cleaning up the accomplishment screenshots...good idea. I'll tinker with it.

15 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

I've been thinking long and hard about tactics, and one clear option I've been favouring is to convert the shadow strikers to inside forwards, basically a mix between the libero tactics I've been using with Decapitated Buffalo.

In terms of the narrative, I think I have to play some form of strikerless with a libero -- the defining characteristics of Telleus' tactics since Leeds. Anything else strikes me as inconsistent with the story as it is set up (for the moment, at least, until Gunnar earns his own credibility as a manager).

I hadn't thought about cleaning up the accomplishment screenshots...good idea. I'll tinker with it.

You do essentially have the freedom to do whatever you like with the tactics, as Gunnar is a clean slate who had never met his father - but I suppose an evolution of the existing tactics is probably a good shout, and inside forwards at least means it wouldn't be a carbon copy. Why not throw a Raumdeuter in there for giggles? That's gotta be somewhere on the hipster scale by now.

FADE IN - Interior. FK Partizan headquarters building in Belgrade.  July 2060.

An attractive young woman sits behind the reception desk.  A tall, striking young man walks in the door, and approaches.

"Dobro jutro," she says, smiling warmly.

"Ehh...good morning.  Gunnar Vikander, here to meet with the Board."

"Ahh, yes.  Yes.  One...minute, the please."

The young woman picks up the phone and dials, waiting a moment before (presumably) informing the Board of Mr. Vikander's arrival in rapid-fire Serbian.  

Vikander is captivated by her beauty, and momentarily loses himself.

"Sir.  I said, sir.  Please, if you will...follow...me?"

Shaking his head, Vikander is brought back to the present.  "Ah, yes.  Sure.  Yeah."

As they walk down the long, carpeted hall, the young woman points out various photographs from the club's long, glorious history.  Vikander doesn't notice them.  He simply stares at this beautiful creature, lost in the moment.

As they arrive at the of the hall, the young woman knocks sharply on the imposing, wooden double-doors.  Madonna's "Into the Groove" can be heard coming from inside, the melody broken only by occasional, raucous laughter.

The young woman knocks again, but there is no answer.

Inside, the laughter dies down, and Vikander hears the punchline of the joke, muted by the weight of the doors, the mocking tone of the Chairman's voice nevertheless clear.

"...And then, he says to me...but, mister mister, I am not my father!"  

Howling laughter erupts from behind the doors.  The young woman winces, and gives Vikander a warm smile.  "I'm sure that they're talking about someone else," she says, reassuringly.  Vikander shrugs awkwardly.

As the laughter dies down inside, a loud voice bellows, "Gunnar isn't a patch on that Telleus, but he's the best we've got.  For now.  So, let's try to play nice with the little bastard, yeah?"

Vikander sighs.  The young woman gives him a reassuring, apologetic look, before rapping her knuckles on the doors again, louder this time, which is followed quickly the music being turned off, the sound of chairs rearranging and a command that they enter. 

The young woman places a hand on Vikander's shoulder, patting him gently, while opening the door with the other .  "Truly, Mr. Vikander, it's just the...how you say...talk, talk.  My father, he is not a harsh man."

Vikander is stunned...this...beautiful siren...is the Chairman's daughter?  Oh, ****.  He's in trouble now.  "What's...what's your name?"  He stammers.

"Stana," she whispers, pushing him inside.

Vikander stumbles awkwardly into the room.  Not the entrance he had planned, as he regains his balance...staring into the middle distance and rolling her name over and over in his mouth, softly.  "Stana..."

Vikander's reverie is broken by a shout from the head of the table.  "You!  It is about time.  Are you prepared to discuss tactics?!"

Vikander takes a deep breath, squaring his shoulders -- he's been practicing in the mirror -- and states, firmly.  "Yes, Mr. Chairman.  After assessing the squad, I have determined that the only recourse we have is to keep things simple.  Return to Telleus' roots, and the systems he employed at Malmo, Fiorentina, Monch...err...Gladbach, as well as Sweden and Holland.  Tried and true.  Proven.  Universal.  this was the essence of my father's football."

Vikander takes a deep breath.  He's said it.  He waits for the explosion from the Chairman.

It doesn't come.

The Chairman simply sits, staring at him, smoking that awful cigar.  "So, son.  You tell me you know Telleus?  We did not hire you to play a 442.  Or any variation of it.  We hired you to play with the libero.  No strikers.  That is Telleus," he says, pounding a fist into the table for emphasis.

Vikander, knowing this was coming, is prepared.  "Yes, Mr. Chairman.  Those are the tactics that my father employed in the latter portions of his career.  But, as Hampus Lindgren has thoroughly documented in Rabona Interruptus and his best-selling book, 'Telleus' Tactical Teachings, Tomorrow's Football Today' the strikerless systems were a flight of fancy.  Employed, if you will, on a whim.  A casual offhand comment made to the press while intoxicated by liquor and his rivalry with Mr.  Guardiola, who at the time --"

The Chairman interrupts.  A soft chuckle emanating from his gullet, growing increasingly louder and more angry with each passing moment.  "A drunk boast, you say?  Decades of football revolution?  A drunken boast?"

The room erupts in laughter.  

"I'm not my father," whispers Vikander.  But not quietly enough, as the Board members nearest to him begin to repeat the phrase in mocking laughter.

A steely determination overcomes Vikander.  "I'm not my father," he says with conviction, staring the Chairman in the eye.  With murder in his heart.

The Chairman meets his gaze, laughing.  Vikander does not flinch.  The room quiets.  Neither the Chairman nor Vikander blinks.

"No, son," the Chairman intones, forgivingly.  "You are not.  It remains to be seen what YOU are.  But, for now you are my plaything.  My diversion.  And you WILL play the strikerless, libero style of your father.  Or you will be cast out of here, in shame.  It is your choice."

Vikander swallows nervously.  His determination from a moment ago tempered by what he has read of the Chairman's anger.  "What if we invert the libero?" 

The Chairman is struck dumb.  An inspiration.  Perhaps this young man is his father's son after all.

"No," the Chairman whispers.  "That would just be another midfielder.  Word games will not work with me, boy.  You will have to try harder."

Vikander pauses.  The thought has been in his mind for days, after reading an old analysis conducted by Lindgren of a meaningless match from Telleus' final season in the Bundesliga.  The pieces, almost too complicated to work.  Even his father never tried it, truly.  Just experimented.

Thinking of Stana, Vikander decides it is time to roll the dice.

"What if," he says, pausing for effect.  "What if, we went one step further than my father...build upon his ideas, and take football to the next level?  Beyond Telleus."

The Chairman stares at him.  "What do you have in mind, son?"

Vikander doubles down.  "I'll tell you.  But first, you have to promise me one thing, if I can pull this off."

The Chairman squints at Vikander as if seeing him for the first time.  "What is this...one thing?"

"If I can pull this off?  A date with your daughter."

Seeing the vein about to burst on the Chairman's forehead, Vikander wonders if he has been too bold.  Only time will tell.

FADE OUT

Edited by ManUtd1

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

eafc3140c26245f194aea665a7d20a09.png

FK Partizan Beograd

Tactical Musings -- July 2060

So, what exactly is young Vikander going to do?

I've thought long and hard about this.  And came to one conclusion.  Vikander has to continue with Telleus' tactics.  Anything else wouldn't work -- in my head, at least.  We also have a natural libero/sweeper at Partizan already.

So, what's the one thing he could do, besides inverting the libero?  Say it with me.  

Strikerless.  Libero.  Inverted Wingbacks.  Very Fluid.  Overload.

I tinkered with this at the very end of Telleus' tenure at Frankfurt, but never implemented it.  Now, Vikander will.

There are three tactics, which track the prior "grapefruit" naming conventions.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

PM Omvänd Libero

(grapefruit inverted libero)

d35c40efa2d0d067a4f6cdf665faf24d.png

a70d3230d567ef323d88624650a0d19e.png 223e20a6966bd604f885ba92ff0a816a.jpg

This is the base tactic.  The same fundamental structure as PM Libre 2.0 (outlined above and over at Strikerless), but with team instructions a blend of that tactic and those found in PM Branco di Libero (outlined here).

PM Kedjad Varg

(grapefruit chained wolf)

ad5ff57f925e4d0480e571ca8573f586.png

286a73eacccb150925f37cd4646f7627.png

This is the counter tactic, again mixing the tactical approaches found in PM In Catene and PM Incatenato.

The mentality is dropped to counter, and both central midfielders are withdrawn into the DM strata.  We also encourage more direct attacking play by: (1) removing "retain possession"; (2) employing "much more direct" passing; and (3) removing "work ball into box."

PM TD Yttersta

(grapefruit to the extreme )

eb7c911a4a4789d7b3d8f437f043eb3e.png

3d5ca8deb315c4d0e11d46150ab09d6d.png

Finally, the more aggressive tactic.  This is essentially the base tactic, but with TIs focused on more direct attacking play -- "retain possession" and "work ball into box" are removed, with "much more direct" passing ticked.

Edited by ManUtd1

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

But, as Hampus Lindgren has thoroughly documented in Rabona Interruptus and his best-selling book, 'Telleus' Tactical Teachings, Tomorrow's Football Today'

How do you come up with this stuff.

i_cant_even-fainting.gif

18 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

“Grapefruit chained wolf"

Once the people of Serbia know Vikander's name, I can see that becoming the name of a 2060/2070s metal band.

*stolen*

1 hour ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

“Grapefruit chained wolf"

Once the people of Serbia know Vikander's name, I can see that becoming the name of a 2060/2070s metal band.

That is pure genius! :lol:

1 hour ago, DodgeeD said:

Oooh, Gunnar should have checked how many daughters the chairman has before making his request...

They are all sending him pics already :D

deb8767d4c795c454dd46c432c86dffc.gif

Sorry, ladies...?  Gunnar only has eyes for Stana right now... 

1 hour ago, Cardiovascular said:

This is a work of art, my man. There were almost tears reading Hakan's final bow. :(

Thank you, man!  I've been thrilled that others enjoyed the end of his chapter as I much as I did! :D

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

*stolen*

Doh!  Beat me to it.

:lol:

Ah I just remembered Hakan had a failed attempt at Nevereverkusen.. Success there would surely give Gunnar a stamp of authority.

I'm also finding it very difficult not to type 'Gunnar' instead of 'gonna' all the time, so I'm Gunnar avoid the word entirely. Ish.

5 hours ago, Joe. said:

Ah I just remembered Hakan had a failed attempt at Nevereverkusen.. Success there would surely give Gunnar a stamp of authority.

I'm also finding it very difficult not to type 'Gunnar' instead of 'gonna' all the time, so I'm Gunnar avoid the word entirely. Ish.

Leverkusen is very much on my radar, for that exact reason They keep getting relegated and seem to lose the relegation playoff with some frequency.

Spain is also somewhere I want to go before too long, having not taken a job there with Telleus.

Can't even tell you how excited I am with the new challenge tracker. Makes it so much easier to track your process.

I was wondering how you were going to handle the aging of Hakan. Love the twist and can't wait for another 50 years of world domination.

Sad to see the back end of Hakan but good luck to Gunnar following his father's footsteps.

Isn't Portugal now eligible for the challenge after the last World Cup or have I completely forgotten about Portugal winning it previously?

39 minutes ago, ssestig said:

Isn't Portugal now eligible for the challenge after the last World Cup or have I completely forgotten about Portugal winning it previously?

They won it twice in a row in 2038 & 2042

@ssestig glad to have you on board, man!  And, thanks, @Joe. for fielding the Portugal question!  I'd have loved for them to be eligible -- even if it would have been an "easier" nation to work with.

As it stands, I've got my hands full with Ivory Coast and Colombia...Turkey is still a good shout, too.  I'd enjoy the challenge of the US or Australia, as well.  But, they seem really unlikely to happen.  Mexico and the Czechs may need to be revisited, as well.

In-game, I've been working to get the club in order -- we have an obscene number of players thanks to Teleoptik serving as our "B" team...just setting up individual training took forever.  Between that, recruiting staff and scouting...progression has been slow.  But, a substantive update is coming at some point!

Edited by ManUtd1

On 04/07/2017 at 18:36, ManUtd1 said:

But, as Hampus Lindgren has thoroughly documented in Rabona Interruptus and his best-selling book, 'Telleus' Tactical Teachings, Tomorrow's Football Today'

Had Telleus lived, I could imagine him having a part-time job, to make a bit of cash post his career:

Telleus on Tour - Travelling To Teach - Telleus' Tactical Teachings, Tomorrow's Football Today.

16 hours ago, Generation-Next said:

Long time reader, first time poster ;-) 

Loving the grapefruit tactics. 

Thanks, for reading and commenting, man!  Glad you're enjoying it and the tactics!

15 hours ago, noikeee said:

Had Telleus lived, I could imagine him having a part-time job, to make a bit of cash post his career:

Telleus on Tour - Travelling To Teach - Telleus' Tactical Teachings, Tomorrow's Football Today.

Telleus, talking tactics today on Twitter!

:ackter:

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

eafc3140c26245f194aea665a7d20a09.png

FK Partizan Beograd

August 2060 Mini-Update

The danger in giving someone a little bit of power always lies in when that person decides to use it.  Without supervision.

Having appointed me as manager, what did the Chairman expect?  Yes, I sold off some players.  Yes, I bought some players and promoted some youth.  And, in the process, I made the club a ****ton of money.

So, what's the problem, exactly?  The problem is that I'm taking action without consulting him.  I'm actually doing the job he "hired" me to do, and refusing to be the ceremonial puppet he wanted.

Make no mistake -- if we fail to perform, it'll be by head on the chopping block.  Given the Chairman's reputation, that may not be hyperbole.  

But, then a funny thing happened.  The press (and other club officials) noticed that the players I'd brought in and promoted were doing the business.  Gathering up points, progressing in the qualifying stages of the Europa League.  Winning my first title, the Super Kup.

There is little doubt that the Chairman is looking for a reason to yank my chain, so to speak.  To bring me in line.  Hold my feet to the fire.  Assert his authority.  The good feeling around the club is very much a facade, in that regard.

He can't do that while we're winning though, can he? 

I probably shouldn't have asked him to give Stana my best earlier today...poking this bear might provoke an...unpleasant....reaction.  At the same time, I suspect that standing up to him is the only way I'll get out of Belgrade with my dignity and reputation intact.

aac874b7e0f36c50f7d89adba90c1ebc.png

701859729641a8c74517a48ffecda8d7.jpg

e016da783cd417383d06ba9586ee3bd5.jpg

Tough Group draw, but at least I avoided the likes of Barcelona, Leeds, and Reims.  Being a third-seed doesn't help.

I love seeing Brondby, and really wish I had more exotic locations to travel to, in addition to Legia.  Malmo would have been bonkers for the narrative...it'll happen at some point.

Thanks, for reading and commenting, man!  Glad you're enjoying it and the tactics!

Telleus, talking tactics today on Twitter!

:ackter:

I feel we could have more alliterations if we can add TED Talk in there.

This is absolutely brilliant! I was away for a while and came back to like 15 new pages, you are as prolific as ever... 

fantastic end to Hakan's career and I'm sure he will enjoy a slowing down of life on various Polynesian islands. 

I was however worried that would be it, but what a fantastic way to keep it going - you do not disappoint sir. And I welcome this ingenious way of resetting the quote generator Mattrim :applause:

And, finally, Alicia making hearts race so many years later *sigh* 

8 hours ago, kidthekid said:

I feel we could have more alliterations if we can add TED Talk in there.

Once again, I'm ashamed not to have thought of that. Especially since self-congratulatory TED talks are so blindingly common. 

4 hours ago, Akkarin said:

This is absolutely brilliant! I was away for a while and came back to like 15 new pages, you are as prolific as ever... 

fantastic end to Hakan's career and I'm sure he will enjoy a slowing down of life on various Polynesian islands. 

I was however worried that would be it, but what a fantastic way to keep it going - you do not disappoint sir. And I welcome this ingenious way of resetting the quote generator Mattrim :applause:

And, finally, Alicia making hearts race so many years later *sigh* 

Thanks, man! Matrim was a fun one to pull in, no doubt, and I'm glad you enjoyed the twist! As for Alicia, she...well, she speaks for herself :brock:

14 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Once again, I'm ashamed not to have thought of that. Especially since self-congratulatory TED talks are so blindingly common. 

Thanks, man! Matrim was a fun one to pull in, no doubt, and I'm glad you enjoyed the twist! As for Alicia, she...well, she speaks for herself :brock:

That she certainly does.

Did you do a review of how you set up in Lupo Rabbioso? I was looking for it, but can't seem to find it...

23 minutes ago, Akkarin said:

That she certainly does.

Did you do a review of how you set up in Lupo Rabbioso? I was looking for it, but can't seem to find it...

I thought I had, but I didn't using the name. It's the same positions/roles as in PM Branco did Libero, the default tactic. The changes to TIs are here:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/390937-fm-17-if-you’re-not-first-you’re-last-redux-–-redemption-for-the-“nearly-men”-of-europe/?do=findComment&comment=10782986

You may want to leave "work ball into box" ticked, though, to temper some of the aggressiveness.

Edited by ManUtd1

I thought I had, but I didn't using the name. It's the same positions/roles as in PM Branco did Libero, the default tactic. The changes to TIs are here:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/390937-fm-17-if-you’re-not-first-you’re-last-redux-–-redemption-for-the-“nearly-men”-of-europe/?do=findComment&comment=10782986

You may want to leave "work ball into box" ticked, though, to temper some of the aggressiveness.

Perfect - thanks!

The "Welcome to Gunnar, Europe" tifo in the away end was brilliant.

a88316aba173d1c75bdd23e5bb104173.jpg 

Remind me to thank Mom for getting me "Telleus' Tactical  Teachings: Tomorrow's Football Today" on tape, narrated by Tina Turner and TJ Miller.  Terrific.

Somewhere, I hope Dad is watching.   And that he's proud.

Red Star?  More like **** Star.

6e4f7205753c0451b6e17e95a1237f6b.jpg 

My first Eternal Derby.  If the lads weren't believers before this...now, they are.

Stana?  The Chairman has started to call me "son."  Honestly, it was a tad more fun when it was forbidden, with an element of "if he catches us, he'll do to you whatever you've done to me."  

4 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

Shouldn't Bob be making the pilgrimage out of the caves soon? BalkanBob has got to show up sooner or later.

Bob is very much struggling with the cosmic significance  of everything that has happened.

bald GIF

2 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

5-0 AGAINST CRVENA ZVEZDA??I CAN SEE THEIR COACH RUNNING WITH AN ANGRY CROWD BEHINDE HIM...:lol:

It was glorious! Annihilation, when they were top of the table :D

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

Brøndby and Malmö in the same group. <3

Shame it's not in the CL.

What a startfor Gunnar too.

I love that Group! Sadly, there's no chance Brondby will become eligible in the save :(

The good news?  Malmo win their 3rd title in 4 years.

4ad890aba3afbdfde13d2149937f5aaf.jpg 

The bad (or, if you're the half-brother he pushed away, somewhat enjoyable) news?  Gustav was sacked at Stora Valla after 28 rounds.

4e360c323a4dfe95f3e27c34948ad7c0.jpg