This game is rigged.

It's Champions League Semi-Final.  First leg is at home vs Manchester United.  I pull off a stunning 3-0 victory.

Go into Manchester for the second leg - end up losing 4-0.  My player misses a PK, theirs scores one.

I'm absolutely furious.  Unbelivable.

So I save-scum.  No way I'm going to lose like this when I'm up 3-0.

I'm currently on the THIRTY-SECOND reload and still haven't managed to pull off a victory.  Thirty-two times in a row, my team has been unable to win away against United with a 3-0 aggregate lead.

What is going on in this game???  I've already decided I'm not moving on until I win.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't it Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? 

Just accept you lost and move on. Would you have reloaded had you been 3-0 down then won the next game 4-0? I think we all know the answer to this. 

When did you save your game?

Chances are you gave a poor team talk at the end of the first leg making your team complacent and reducing the odds of you doing well in the second leg.

Add that to potential tactical issues and poor decision making due to your worsening mood means you are probably best taking a break for a while.

Is the game rigged? No.

If you upload your save would others make the final?  Yes.

As Dave says though you learn nothing from reloading and it just ruins your save in the long term, accept the loss, learn from it & move on.

7 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

When did you save your game?

Chances are you gave a poor team talk at the end of the first leg making your team complacent and reducing the odds of you doing well in the second leg.

Add that to potential tactical issues and poor decision making due to your worsening mood means you are probably best taking a break for a while.

Is the game rigged? No.

If you upload your save would others make the final?  Yes.

As Dave says though you learn nothing from reloading and it just ruins your save in the long term, accept the loss, learn from it & move on.

What this is showing me is that no matter what formation I use, no matter what roster I use, no matter what team talks I use, I have thus far always lost this game.  Currently on reload #38.

If nothing I do can change the result, then is that not the absolute definition of predetermined?  Which means rigged - the result is already determined before I even hit "Submit Team".

Just now, CybrSlydr said:

What this is showing me is that no matter what formation I use, no matter what roster I use, no matter what team talks I use, I have thus far always lost this game.  Currently on reload #38.

If nothing I do can change the result, then is that not the absolute definition of predetermined?  Which means rigged - the result is already determined before I even hit "Submit Team".

So basically you didn't read what I said :rolleyes:

You are losing because of decisions you make, nothing more.

If you want to whine & be a bad loser carry on but that doesn't change the fact that the game is not rigged, predetermined or anything else.

There's your answer. Nothing YOU can do seems to change it, but that doesn't mean it can't be changed. Nothing is pre-determined. The ME doesn't even know the final score when the match starts.

Your best bet is to just post about your issue in the tactics forum and supply details to get advice on.

You're on reload 38, 10 mins after being on reload 32?  You're either using instant result or holidaying through matches so how do you even know what's going on?

Even if you are watching matches, your highlights are set to just key or perhaps even commentary only.  Either way, you're not paying enough attention to the on pitch action.

Watch the match.

2 minutes ago, herne79 said:

You're on reload 38, 10 mins after being on reload 32?  You're either using instant result or holidaying through matches so how do you even know what's going on?

Even if you are watching matches, your highlights are set to just key or perhaps even commentary only.  Either way, you're not paying enough attention to the on pitch action.

Watch the match.

After the... 15th or so reload, I was absolutely fuming so yes - I changed up the formation/roster in the pre-game screen, change one TI or so and hit go then crank up the of the match and turn it to "Commentary Only". 

41st reload, we finally drew 2-2 to secure an aggregate win.  After a red-card for each team and like... 12 total yellows.

Doesn't even matter at this point - the save is junked.  I loved that save.  Painstakingly built that team up to be yearly contenders - second time we made it to the Semis I think, always lost in the quarters before.

http://www.filedropper.com/brokencelta

As I've said every time this comes up - and it does often - I will never understand the need to reload a game you've lost. No-one has a divine right to win every game they play. The only purpose reloading will have is to help you spot things you've missed before, however the OP doesn't seem to have even managed this. 

3 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

41st reload, we finally drew 2-2 to secure an aggregate win.  After a red-card for each team and like... 12 total yellows.

Doesn't even matter at this point - the save is junked.  I loved that save.  Painstakingly built that team up to be yearly contenders - second time we made it to the Semis I think, always lost in the quarters before.

http://www.filedropper.com/brokencelta

What version of FM is it on?

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

As I've said every time this comes up - and it does often - I will never understand the need to reload a game you've lost. No-one has a divine right to win every game they play. The only purpose reloading will have is to help you spot things you've missed before, however the OP doesn't seem to have even managed this. 

Because it is inconceivable to me that we could win 3-0 at home, have superb morale, beat our closest rivals in the mid-week game 4-0 at home and then go on the away leg with that kind of... flow?  and somehow, EVERY SINGLE THING THAT COULD GO WRONG, goes wrong.  My PK taker with 18 PK taking, 17 composure and 16 finishing somehow can't net it.  That we give up a PK.  That we can't complete passes.  That we can't... the list goes on. 

Any other game, I'd have probably let it go as I had numerous times in the past - but this time, it felt like the game was purposely taking this away from me, what we had worked for and earned up to that point.  I've never been so mad at a game in my life.

2 minutes ago, CFuller said:

It is indeed FM16. I'm playing this match now... and the aggregate score after the first leg is actually 1-1. Hmm.

What??  We won 3-0!  It was one of the greatest games that team has ever played!  Berardi had a Brace and Romagnoli scored on a corner!

I built a wonderful team in my last save over many seasons, won the League Cup, won the Premier League, won the FA Cup, then lost the Champions League 1-0 to a penalty that should not have been awarded.

My hard work and greatest FM achievement was in tatters, and unfairly so. But the game did not conspire against me just to annoy me. I just lost. You simply have to move on and accept it. It's all part of the story to me.

8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yup, just loaded it, and it indeed was 1-1 in the first leg. OP having a 'mare here. 

Ooooooooooooooh noooooooooooo...

I must have uber-rage-quit after the 4-0 loss and not saved the game yesterday, reloaded as the most recent save was just before I started the first-leg of the United game at home. 

God dammit...  That's hubris for you - I didn't think there was any way I could lose when up 3-0 and didn't bother to save after the 3-0 win.  Cue the 4-0 loss and ensuing rage-quit...

FM lesson #54218904328902345121:  ALWAYS save...

1 minute ago, CybrSlydr said:

Ooooooooooooooh noooooooooooo...

I must have uber-rage-quit after the 4-0 loss and not saved the game yesterday, reloaded as the most recent save was just before I started the first-leg of the United game at home. 

How do you replay a match 38 times and not notice you drew the 1st leg 1-1 :rolleyes:

Just now, Cougar2010 said:

How do you replay a match 38 times and not notice you drew the 1st leg 1-1 :rolleyes:

Because I was absolutely furious that we couldn't manage a win!  I wanted to throw my keyboard THROUGH my TV!  I just kept hitting, "Load" and didn't even bother to look at the pre-match aggregate score.

Because I was absolutely furious that we couldn't manage a win!  I wanted to throw my keyboard THROUGH my TV!  I just kept hitting, "Load" and didn't even bother to look at the pre-match aggregate score.

But the first leg score is displayed throughout the match, and at the end. 

It's this lack of attention to detail that's maybe more of an issue than any game rigging. 

I've just finished playing this match, and - for what it's worth - I lost 2-0. Goals from Chris Smalling in the first half, and Juan Mata late on. It didn't really help that Celta Vigo had a defender sent off early in the second period.

Celta were just outclassed by Manchester United throughout that game - no scripting required, really.

Here's FM lesson #54218904328902345122 for you, CybrSlydr. Sometimes you just have to accept that you have the second-best team, move on, and look to do better next season. Take it from a man who's slogged it in the lower leagues for two decades on FM13 and lost more play-off Semi Finals and Finals than he cares to remember.

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

So you must have reloaded a game after you'd drawn 1-1 away to Man Utd, just to get a 3-0 win the next time :lol:

I love this thread. 

No, I think what happened is the previous save was just before I started the home leg against United.  After we won the first 3-0 and thumped Deportivo 4-0 at home in the mid-week, I didn't bother to save and the auto-save didn't kick in because it was too recent.  I then lost 4-3, rage-quit and lost those games because I didn't save.

I loaded up on my laptop this morning while watching the Everton-West Ham game and... was apparently somehow completely oblivious to the fact that I was playing the home match again instead of the away leg, drew 1-1, then that game saved because I then moved back to my main computer in my room.  I use the cloud so I can play my saves on both computers.  I launch from my main computer and it's the one that saved to the cloud from my laptop.

5 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I've just finished playing this match, and - for what it's worth - I lost 2-0. Goals from Chris Smalling in the first half, and Juan Mata late on. It didn't really help that Celta Vigo had a defender sent off early in the second period.

Celta were just outclassed by Manchester United throughout that game - no scripting required, really.

Here's FM lesson #54218904328902345122 for you, CybrSlydr. Sometimes you just have to accept that you have the second-best team, move on, and look to do better next season. Take it from a man who's slogged it in the lower leagues for two decades on FM13 and lost more play-off Semi Finals and Finals than he cares to remember.

And like I said before, every other time I've taken those kinds of losses and moved on.  We didn't win the League this year, we've never won in the Semi-Finals of the Champions League, etc.  But this time was different - it was personal. 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I bet you wish you could reload this thread :lol:

To try and take a positive...

It's threads like these where people put on their stupid pants that give this place some flavor and a chuckle for all.

So while it's infinitely embarrassing, hopefully someone can learn from my idiocy.

Yeah I lost 2-0 as well but it doesn't really tell the story as we were on the backfoot all match.

Its always going to be a hard match to win, Man Utd are heavy favourites and you have a really thin squad outside of the first eleven, god knows how you have coped with injuries.

I tweaked your 41221 in the first half and then switched to a tweaked 442 in the second.  It really didn't make any difference as Man Utd were all over us with Horn keeping us in the match several times.

Winning the tie from 3-0 up would be possible but from 1-1 you are really going to half to get lucky and probably steal the first goal.

Just now, Cougar2010 said:

Yeah I lost 2-0 as well but it doesn't really tell the story as we were on the backfoot all match.

Its always going to be a hard match to win, Man Utd are heavy favourites and you have a really thin squad outside of the first eleven, god knows how you have coped with injuries.

I tweaked your 41221 in the first half and then switched to a tweaked 442 in the second.  It really didn't make any difference as Man Utd were all over us with Horn keeping us in the match several times.

Winning the tie from 3-0 up would be possible but from 1-1 you are really going to half to get lucky and probably steal the first goal.

Injuries this year weren't really much of a problem as they had been in previous years.  I'd been cross-training players for multiple roles for just that problem.  Another reason for the lack of depth is finances - board were only letting me keep 35% of transfer revenue and I lost... Quim Arribas, my starting AML and... Refojos in the winter window - $81m and $60m.  Unfortunately, 35% of that isn't much to replace what I lost.  So I picked up Iago since fans love him and he was available on a free (I expect he would retire at the end of the year) and Benat Sola (I looked for a giant, high-potential striker and found him, Spanish to boot, that I could have dominate the box) for $25m.  Berardi would slot in as a Striker or AMR depending up on injuries.

The 4-1-2-3 was my main formation (I'd been hoping to transition to the 3-5-1-1 [Ozil's 3-4-3] through the winter/summer window and use it full-time in the next year) so if one of my AMs got hurt, I'd switch to the 4-4-2.  I picked up Palencia since he can play both DR/L, so he'd slot in if either Jorge or Bellerin got hurt.  If Svoboda got hurt, Jorge slots in at ML and Palancia at DL - Bellerin was retrained to play MR so he could slot in in the 4-4-2 and Palancia would take the DR.  Linares is a youth academy product that I was using a depth. 

1 minute ago, waldywaldy said:

Downloaded just for laughs. 15 TI's, a bunch of pre set OI's, there's way to much variables going on to say something intelligent about this.

Changed to 3 TI's and dropped all the OI's, played 2-2 fairly easily.

I got the tactic from here - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-16-tactics/357702-classic-gold-plug-play-16-3-a.html

I modified it a bit role-wise, but mostly left the tactic and TIs alone - and I never bother with the OIs.  I leave that to coaches.  It's served me quite well and I figured if it wasn't broken, don't fix it.

1 hour ago, CybrSlydr said:

It's Champions League Semi-Final.  First leg is at home vs Manchester United.  I pull off a stunning 3-0 victory.

Go into Manchester for the second leg - end up losing 4-0.  My player misses a PK, theirs scores one.

I'm absolutely furious.  Unbelivable.

So I save-scum.  No way I'm going to lose like this when I'm up 3-0.

I'm currently on the THIRTY-SECOND reload and still haven't managed to pull off a victory.  Thirty-two times in a row, my team has been unable to win away against United with a 3-0 aggregate lead.

What is going on in this game???  I've already decided I'm not moving on until I win.

If you were sacked and Cloughie decided to take over your job this is what he would say to your players

" Well, I might as well tell you now. You lot may all be internationals and have won all the  honours there are to win under *****. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest  dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by  cheating "   :herman:

2 minutes ago, wazza said:

If you were sacked and Cloughie decided to take over your job this is what he would say to your players

" Well, I might as well tell you now. You lot may all be internationals and have won all the  honours there are to win under *****. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest  dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by  cheating "   :herman:

He could say that of their Champions League win (assuming we go into the Final and won) but the league titles and other things were won fair and square.

1 hour ago, CybrSlydr said:

I got the tactic from here - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-16-tactics/357702-classic-gold-plug-play-16-3-a.html

I modified it a bit role-wise, but mostly left the tactic and TIs alone - and I never bother with the OIs.  I leave that to coaches.  It's served me quite well and I figured if it wasn't broken, don't fix it.

You should change the thread title form "This game is rigged" to "I tried to rig this game but it isn't working".

Archived