Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, at least as striker go, Man Utd couldn't find one either.

I don't know about DM. Arguments can be made that Morgan wasn't worth it. In that case, is there really no one else in the market? With the strikers, only the ones at the top clubs fit our bill. Is Alaba and Busquets and Matic the only DMs that can improve us? It's difficult to believe that there isn't one out there for us.

David Ornstein @bbcsport_david

Very unlikely #AFC will make any signings today. Explored options but nothing was close & almost certainly no ins or outs now #DeadlineDay

Well there it is. Any hopes of a title challenge gone. So unbelievably fed up of Wenger's ********.

Why doesn't Wenger want to spend if money is there? I'm not an Arsenal fan but even I can see you have had the same problem for past 5 years. Goalkeeper (now fixed) a dominent centre half with bit of pace and a DM someone who kicks the opposition puts his foot in and control the midfield while the other talented players show off their passing and time on the ball.

Arsenal won't spend, United spending money in areas they don't need, Chelsea buying players then loaning them out again last few windows been a bit strange to say the lease.

Why doesn't Wenger want to spend if money is there? I'm not an Arsenal fan but even I can see you have had the same problem for past 5 years. Goalkeeper (now fixed) a dominent centre half with bit of pace and a DM someone who kicks the opposition puts his foot in and control the midfield while the other talented players show off their passing and time on the ball.

Arsenal won't spend, United spending money in areas they don't need, Chelsea buying players then loaning them out again last few windows been a bit strange to say the lease.

We don't need a CB and the DM you've described is Coquelin - who has shown that he's not the right player for us.

Lots of misses there Tone.

If we don't challenge for the title then Wenger should be sacked. Are we all in agreement?

Nope. That's a stupid absolutist stance fails to account for any potential context. It also doesn't accept the reality of our situation. Realistically we are 4th best as a result of resources and our resources aren't particularly close to City's or Utd's or even Chelsea's if they choose to utilise them. As a consequence of this a title challenge isn't really an expectation. So a failure from the manager to take us there isn't them failing to do their job really it's just in the case of Wenger disappointingly failing to continue the progress the club has recently made.

This doesn't take away from our window being disappointing it's just not the complete utter shambles portrayed by some or at least compared to previous efforts at least.

Apparently Nasri is available. He'd improve us for sure...

As much as I like him as a player we would be dumb to back there given his attitude issues

To be fair, at least as striker go, Man Utd couldn't find one either.

I don't know about DM. Arguments can be made that Morgan wasn't worth it. In that case, is there really no one else in the market? With the strikers, only the ones at the top clubs fit our bill. Is Alaba and Busquets and Matic the only DMs that can improve us? It's difficult to believe that there isn't one out there for us.

There were other ones on the market they're just not immediately apparent to us. There is definitely more that could be done.

Oh and Matic whilst clearly better than our options is overrated and Alaba isn't really a DM

Realistically we are 4th best as a result of resources and our resources aren't particularly close to City's or Utd's or even Chelsea's if they choose to utilise them.

ManUtd are way out in front in terms of resources. The only reason we don't compete against City and Chelsea is because of Kronke.

It's like Gary Neville is posting, obsession with pace and power.

Arsenal have no problem beating teams who sit behind the ball and give you time on the ball its the better sides who attack you and not give you time on the ball is what Arsenal normally have problems despite beating City last season and Chelsea charity shield.

If Arsenal get 2nd by about 15 points but behind Man City by about 12 points would you still want Wenger out? I know you guys are frustrated and with ticket prices and the capacity and where you are at etc you guys must be frustrated not buying 3 big players per season so you push on each season but you have to be careful what you wish for too.

Arsenal play good football under Wenger, always top 4 there is no guarantee someone else takes over spends more money by signing the players you want to see at Arsenal and plays same attractive football and finished top 4 every year.

Yeah, people been saying for years we need a ball winner in midfield. We finally got one, and he hasn't been the silver bullet everyone say he'll be.

It's always been with a caveat (from actual Arsenal fans) to have a player who can win the ball yet be able to pass and evade pressure.

Arsenal have no problem beating teams who sit behind the ball and give you time on the ball its the better sides who attack you and not give you time on the ball is what Arsenal normally have problems despite beating City last season and Chelsea charity shield.

You actually couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Thiago Motta a month ago could have been swayed...

Well yeah potentially

Yeah, people been saying for years we need a ball winner in midfield. We finally got one, and he hasn't been the silver bullet everyone say he'll be.

I think it's because the concept of a ball winner is dated unless you want to finish in 10th

ManUtd are way out in front in terms of resources. The only reason we don't compete against City and Chelsea is because of Kronke.

They aren't miles ahead of City and Chelsea if the owners at those two clubs look to spend big.

Kroenke is treating this like an investment not a play thing. That does. hold us back resource wise whilst FFP dies

They aren't miles ahead of City and Chelsea if the owners at those two clubs look to spend big.

Kroenke is treating this like an investment not a play thing. That does. hold us back resource wise whilst FFP dies

And they wouldn't be miles ahead of us if our owner actually invested in the club. The sad thing is Wenger wouldn't even need hundreds of millions of pounds to do the business he needs to do. So short sighted.

And they wouldn't be miles ahead of us if our owner actually invested in the club. The sad thing is Wenger wouldn't even need hundreds of millions of pounds to do the business he needs to do. So short sighted.

It's not now Kroenke has ever operated. I don't think it's unreasonable for him not to invest. There is a fundamental issue in football with financial doping which needs to be fixed before the winning becomes even more concentrated

People have invested in football clubs for as long as the sport has existed so it's hardly a fundamental problem. Would be great if we had an NFL set up which encouraged sporting equality, but if that doesn't happen then the worse thing that could happen would be FFP style systems which just cement the existing pecking order and leave you with a league where the club with the most supporters wins the league virtually every season.

If the owners of Arsenal are happy running the club on the cheap and settling for 4th every season, fair enough, but in that case they need to stop being the most expensive club in the world to follow. Can't have it both ways.

If the owners of Arsenal are happy running the club on the cheap and settling for 4th every season' date=' fair enough, but in that case they need to stop being the most expensive club in the world to follow. Can't have it both ways.[/quote']

Is there a waiting list for season tickets at Arsenal? If there is, prices only ever go one way until existing season ticket holders don't renew and the waiting list isn't large enough to plug that gap.

The Arsenal fans at work have an air of muted fury combined with abject apathy today.

People have invested in football clubs for as long as the sport has existed so it's hardly a fundamental problem. Would be great if we had an NFL set up which encouraged sporting equality' date=' but if that doesn't happen then the worse thing that could happen would be FFP style systems which just cement the existing pecking order and leave you with a league where the club with the most supporters wins the league virtually every season.

If the owners of Arsenal are happy running the club on the cheap and settling for 4th every season, fair enough, but in that case they need to stop being the most expensive club in the world to follow. Can't have it both ways.[/quote']

I don't think it's about running it on the cheap it's just he isn't willing to put his money in. That we have to be asking for the owners to be benefactors and worry that they're just merely using it for an investment shows how far off football is currently

Is there a waiting list for season tickets at Arsenal? If there is, prices only ever go one way until existing season ticket holders don't renew and the waiting list isn't large enough to plug that gap.

The Arsenal fans at work have an air of muted fury combined with abject apathy today.

Yeah it's a pretty lengthy one.

I don't see the point at getting angry about the transfer window it is only one of many potential causes for a team not achieving what we want it to. People have the transfer market massively out of proportion these days

Nope. That's a stupid absolutist stance fails to account for any potential context. It also doesn't accept the reality of our situation. Realistically we are 4th best as a result of resources and our resources aren't particularly close to City's or Utd's or even Chelsea's if they choose to utilise them. As a consequence of this a title challenge isn't really an expectation. So a failure from the manager to take us there isn't them failing to do their job really it's just in the case of Wenger disappointingly failing to continue the progress the club has recently made.

Wenger has chosen not to be active, Wenger has talked about this being an exceptional group ready to challenge. This is Wenger's team and he's told the world about how great they are. If they don't prove it then surely he should be held accountable. I've said it numerous times, but we pretend to be an elite club, we act like one in all areas except on the pitch. We seemingly exist simply to make money - it's why Wenger is unsackable.

Arsenal play good football under Wenger, always top 4 there is no guarantee someone else takes over spends more money by signing the players you want to see at Arsenal and plays same attractive football and finished top 4 every year.

:D :D :D Behave, Arsenal haven't played 'good football' in years. We are dull 90% of the time.

Wenger has chosen not to be active, Wenger has talked about this being an exceptional group ready to challenge. This is Wenger's team and he's told the world about how great they are. If they don't prove it then surely he should be held accountable. I've said it numerous times, but we pretend to be an elite club, we act like one in all areas except on the pitch. We seemingly exist simply to make money - it's why Wenger is unsackable.

Sure he should be held accountable but not to his public statements for obvious reasons. He should be held to the standard we can reasonably expect given our resources.

Well we haven't used all our resources.

Not the bank balance no but there aren't that many players who have moved who would have improved us who were within our resource range. For instance Sterling and Schneiderlin the fee and wages combination made them both unworkable

That is what the market operates at now' date=' either we up the money we are prepared to pay or we're done as a force in this country.[/quote']

No we just have to be a bit more circumspect and cleverer about it.

We can't for instance give Schneiderlin more money than Ozil, massive agent's fee and then pay £25mill when he isn't particularly close to being the perfect option. We could however go and buy Ki or try for Motta/Soriano/Fuego

Yeah it's a pretty lengthy one.

I don't see the point at getting angry about the transfer window it is only one of many potential causes for a team not achieving what we want it to. People have the transfer market massively out of proportion these days

I don't think anyone is blaming the transfer market for our poor form. That's mainly on Wenger.

I think the worry is that they think they know how good this team is, which is not good enough to win the league with. The frustration with the lack of activity is due to the fact that they think the transfer market is the only way we're going challenge for the title. Basically, they're frustrated by the idea of stalling as also-rans, rather than being able to push towards the next level.

I don't think anyone is blaming the transfer market for our poor form. That's mainly on Wenger.

I think the worry is that they think they know how good this team is, which is not good enough to win the league with. The frustration with the lack of activity is due to the fact that they think the transfer market is the only way we're going challenge for the title. Basically, they're frustrated by the idea of stalling as also-rans, rather than being able to push towards the next level.

Oh I understand that completely but people are obsessed with it. It doesn't alone define your season all sorts of room for other improvements

£25m isn't a lot of money anymore.

It is for us when the players isn't even particularly right for the role. It also isn't bad by itself just when combined with the other two factors it definitely is

No it's not' date=' I'd say paying £25m is pretty much standard now. If you want the perfect player you're looking at £40m+.[/quote']

Perfect player doesn't mean the player doesn't have flaws. Just means they are right for the role. Schneiderlin whichever way you look at it probably isn't

Archived