Rainmaker v2 and Silk & Steel v2.......... A Combined Arms approach to FM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right I dont know if you remember on the original fulcrum tactic thread, But I started off at Basingstoke, got them upto the championship in 6 years i think, but thought it was time for a change after seeing the budget they gave me and quit.

Applied and got the blackpool job (just relegated from champ to lge1) anyway tore it up in league 1 losing 3 league games all year (almost beat the record for the unbeaten run record it stood at 32 i lost the 29th or 30th game), anyway won the league easily, currently top in the championship with blackpool.

Silk & Steel is very good, win most of my away matches, but home form is indifferent, even tried silk and steel at home on a few games, but atm sticking to rainmaker at home, guess it will come good.

Now some screenshots

fix.png

tbl.png

tbl1.png

Right I dont know if you remember on the original fulcrum tactic thread, But I started off at Basingstoke, got them upto the championship in 6 years i think, but thought it was time for a change after seeing the budget they gave me and quit.

Applied and got the blackpool job (just relegated from champ to lge1) anyway tore it up in league 1 losing 3 league games all year (almost beat the record for the unbeaten run record it stood at 32 i lost the 29th or 30th game), anyway won the league easily, currently top in the championship with blackpool.

Silk & Steel is very good, win most of my away matches, but home form is indifferent, even tried silk and steel at home on a few games, but atm sticking to rainmaker at home, guess it will come good.

Now some screenshots

fix.png

tbl.png

tbl1.png

Looking good :thup:

Mr U Rosler, what tactics usage you would recommend for Stockport in Skrill Premier?

Our media prediction is only 17th.

I did get some reinforcements to squad in comparison to Skrill North team, but obviously the financial limitations didn't allow me to get as many new players as i would have wanted to...

An amazing tactic Rosler!

Currently with Leeds United first season in, 14 games and sitting top of the tree with 27 points. Just had the toughest game possible against Man U in the league cup 4th round at Old Trafford. I went out with the Silk v2 tactic naturally as the weaker team and away from home; held out for about 60min till RVP popped up at the far post with a header, making me switch to the rainmaker. Had 6 shots with 5 on target in the last 30min without scoring.

All in all, I was very pleased with the defensive application we put out against United before trying to get on the front foot.

Hoping for promotion, but its a long season.

Great tactic!

After leading 2nd Division club Paderborn to the Bundesliga title and establishing them in the Champions League for 4 seasons I made the switch and moved to FC Bayern. Won the Bundesliga in my first season with them (2019/2020) but lost the DFB Cup Final to my old team Paderborn.

Using the new versions of the tactics for the second half of the season. Didn't see a lot of differences compared to the previous versions to be honest. You're still very much depending on the mercy of your strikers to convert those clear chances and your centre backs scoring a lot from set pieces.

Hey! Little feedback from this old lurker, occasional poster.

A bit of background. Having missed on last year's edition of the game, I decided to take the lazy approach this year, so decided to download a few tactics and see what worked. At my forth season in the game, I took a job at my home town team, recently promoted to the National Seniors Championship (Campeonato Nacional de Seniores) in Portugal. Ermesinde, the team, is a really weak team, with no money and a really low reputation. But, since in my first two seasons I had gotten a modest Operário dos Açores and another recently promoted Campomaiorense teams to the second place in the league (these ones with tactics of mine), I knew I could do something for a team I love.

So, about the league. This is the third division of Portuguese football. It is played in two phases, composed of eight groups. Only the two first teams of each group will qualify for the promotion phase.

In the first season I used another forum member tactic and got my team safe from relegation and getting the first place of the league, in the Relegation phase. Got the best scorer of the league. Second season, I played the same tactic... 'till halfway through the season. That's when I found Silk & Steel. I finished 4th in the first phase of the league and second in the second phase. I sticked (is this right?) to it and third season was a charm. Halfway through, got V2 running and took second place in the first phase, qualifying for the promotion phase. Second phase saw my team run away with the first place and a place in the Champions Final, which I also won.

This season, I'm playing Silk & Steel away, and Rainmaker home, like last season. Home is not going too well, but away is going fine. Although, I'm siting 8th place with a team that has no money to hire players and the highest attribute I can get for the key attributes is 9. I'm playing mostly youngsters and old, decrepit, players that can barely hold the 90 minutes of the match. So I "blame" your tactics for my current success.

Thanks. Cheers.

P.S.: As I said above, I'm too lazy these days, so there are no pictures.

Im finding this tactic very frustrating. I can play some great football with good balls from the CM to produce good lucking goals but dam i find these sort of games happen often.

f1kr.png

When i watch the games it doesn't look like the team are doing anything wrong, plenty of chances ect but i find it hard to keep clean sheets ATM.

Any tips?

Im Southampton BTW

Im finding this tactic very frustrating. I can play some great football with good balls from the CM to produce good lucking goals but dam i find these sort of games happen often.

f1kr.png

When i watch the games it doesn't look like the team are doing anything wrong, plenty of chances ect but i find it hard to keep clean sheets ATM.

Any tips?

Im Southampton BTW

personally i've not seen a lot of that.

You created 7 CCC's and 4 Half Chances vs 1 CCC for them! I'm not sure the tactic can be blamed, it did its job!

I'm assuming at least one of their goals was from a set-piece?

Which tactic did you use for this game?

You created 7 CCC's and 4 Half Chances vs 1 CCC for them! I'm not sure the tactic can be blamed, it did its job!

Im not having a dig at your tactic just a frustrating game. Im only using the silk and steel as the whenever i use the rainmaker i get thumped!

Like i said, if you watch the game, and i do watch it 'comprehensively' we look a good outfit and dont seam to do much wrong. Maybe long shots are a little high.

Mr U, any tips with regards to Team Talks? Do you bother with them at all? If you do, is it something you leave to the Asst Mgr?

Started a new season with Luton using your tactics and tips this season. Only 11 games in and too early to make any conclusions - plus the squad Ive inherited is absolutely garbage!

Im not having a dig at your tactic just a frustrating game. Im only using the silk and steel as the whenever i use the rainmaker i get thumped!

Like i said, if you watch the game, and i do watch it 'comprehensively' we look a good outfit and dont seam to do much wrong. Maybe long shots are a little high.

I hadn't taken it as a dig :D

There seems to be a lot of varience between different peoples experiences, certainly in the short term. Although i'm top of Skrill South out of nowhere i've just been hammered 6-1 by a pub team in the cup! Extremely random result and performance.

I normally encounter a frustrating period over the course of the season, Nokturno had one in his save but he rode it out and won the League, thats all you can do really. If you question everything after every poor result you end up going backwards and mad!

Of course no tactic is perfect but there are lots of things going on in the background which can have an effect, team and player morale, team talks, team and player form, luck, complacency etc and that applies to BOTH teams. Throw all that in the mix and anything can happen.

Taking a long term view i'd be surpised if your not happy at the end of the season.................... although there are always exceptions.............

psq7.png

My results are ok i just concede to many goals and wondered if you could suggest a tweak or if you had the same issue. The fact that i need a striker that can score is obvious when i compare ccc/hc to goal ratio

Its early season still. i wouldnt panic. i had a similar start with Norwich then things really settled down.

I would use Rainmaker home, Silk & Steel away like clockwork with Southampton season 1.

I hadn't taken it as a dig :D

Good :D

Im going to keep going as the results aren't that bad and im not 100% fluid yet. Its worth sticking to it as the football is very pleasing on the eye and i love a good pass from the mid that splits the opponents defense. I will let you know how the season unfolds. I also have to remember my expectations were only for mid-table.

hmmm nice.. i won the EPL in my 1st season with newcastle :D

was on a 15 match unbeaten.. then change the training to def set pieces and slider 1 notch from the right .... i dont know is it the game system of must lose at least a game ...

after changing... my team went down .. winless for 6 games straight till i change back to normal tactics training and 30 % match preparation.. then start getting good form and eventually win the league.. haha

also my complete forward who is papiss cisse.. am using newcastle..

good acceleration, good finishing off the ball and composure... as suggested as the key attributes by mr rosler...

doesnt seem to score a lot.. in fact i retrain ben arfa to the false 9 position and he scored 22 goals in the league alone.. cisse 10 or less i think.. lol

any ideas why? hmmm.. or what kinda strikers shud i buy ? i have 32 million pounds to spend after finishing the 1st season... :D

oh yea another good thing to mention.. tim krul got 22 shutouts in 38 games lol... omg...

only 69 goals scored in the league

I normally encounter a frustrating period over the course of the season, Nokturno had one in his save but he rode it out and won the League, thats all you can do really.

Just like my Stockport Skrill north season. It started out really bad, for the first 6 games we didn't get any wins. Then slowly things started to fall in to place and like i posted earlier, we eventually won with 5 points margin.

hmmm nice.. i won the EPL in my 1st season with newcastle :D

was on a 15 match unbeaten.. then change the training to def set pieces and slider 1 notch from the right .... i dont know is it the game system of must lose at least a game ...

after changing... my team went down .. winless for 6 games straight till i change back to normal tactics training and 30 % match preparation.. then start getting good form and eventually win the league.. haha

also my complete forward who is papiss cisse.. am using newcastle..

good acceleration, good finishing off the ball and composure... as suggested as the key attributes by mr rosler...

doesnt seem to score a lot.. in fact i retrain ben arfa to the false 9 position and he scored 22 goals in the league alone.. cisse 10 or less i think.. lol

any ideas why? hmmm.. or what kinda strikers shud i buy ? i have 32 million pounds to spend after finishing the 1st season... :D

oh yea another good thing to mention.. tim krul got 22 shutouts in 38 games lol... omg...

only 69 goals scored in the league

Ben Arfa would be awesome False 9, I did the same thing with Mata at Chelsea he was great.

You won the league on the back of great defence, yet Widowmaker was worried about that..... goes to show how each game is different.

I'd just get rid of Cisse. You could do a lot worse than go back to Chelsea and get Demba Ba. Even as your 2nd choice. He always got me 30 goals a season.

Other than that, you can go mental and blow your budget on someone....... Tevez?

Ben Arfa would be awesome False 9, I did the same thing with Mata at Chelsea he was great.

You won the league on the back of great defence, yet Widowmaker was worried about that..... goes to show how each game is different.

I'd just get rid of Cisse. You could do a lot worse than go back to Chelsea and get Demba Ba. Even as your 2nd choice. He always got me 30 goals a season.

Other than that, you can go mental and blow your budget on someone....... Tevez?

oh wow.. haha i bought carlos fierro 4.2 million and Doria for centreback... since coloccini is aging :p and like u said due to the defence i won the league... might as well i blow my budget on him :p reason due to previous save... doria was on the champions league dream team... hmmm hope he doesnt disappoint.. haha.. if carlos fierro doesnt score.. ill somehow sell someone to buy demba ba :p

Having really had enough of this years version and the way in which the tactics engine is put together, i decided to give a go to downloading this set. I think its very well considered and thought out, and very well explained.

Im playing as Liverpool in season 2, after finishing 3rd in the first season with my own tactics, i grew tired of the ME not reflecting the instructions i was giving. I implimented this set just before xmas in season 2.

Sadly hasnt worked so well for me. A few good results, but quite a few draws as i struggle to score. I have been using rainmaker at home, and the odd away game when favourites.

I cant get my strikers to score at all with this im afraid. Suarez as CF has been a disaster, barely getting above 6.40 ave rating and scoring i think 2 in 12.

For the first time in many years, i am thinking of going back to the previous version of FM. The ME has some incredibly poor areas to it, given how far post release we are. Constant missed one v one changes, the predictable goals from corners after scrambles, and some really rediculous decision making. Just watched my team concede a goal where a long clearance goes to my CB, no one within 40 yards. He runs away from the ball, not even back tracking, turning away from the ball and running. The ball hits his back, bounces about 15 yards back to a striker who runs through and scores. And this is Kurt Zouma, so hardly a poor defender.........

I might start a new save and try this set - i still maintain that the thought and logic put into it is very sound.

Finally got the Skrill Premier season going.

Three games played, two wins and one loss.

The worrying thing is that after three games i have 5 players injured. Two of them are really important players, so let's see how it goes from here.

Rhys Turner has scored only 5 goals so far, bit disappointed, should have scored more in 3 games ;)

Finally got the Skrill Premier season going.

Three games played, two wins and one loss.

The worrying thing is that after three games i have 5 players injured. Two of them are really important players, so let's see how it goes from here.

Rhys Turner has scored only 5 goals so far, bit disappointed, should have scored more in 3 games ;)

KUEK should try Rhys Turner at Newcastle!

Lol, just resigned from Liverpool after another abject performance, decided to see who offers me a job and give this set a try with them.

Parma came along with a job offer. Sitting 5th in Serie B, which is all good. £9million transfer budget is unexpected. Then i look at the squad. I kid you not, across all 3 squads (1st team, Reserves & U19) we have a total of 195 players......... Wonder if i can just about find a team within that lot to fit this system :)

I play as a sort of DoF on classic mode. I enjoy transfers.

Anyway, first season as Liverpool using this tactic and some of your guidance. Signed Morgan Schniederlin from Soton and Tom Huddlestone from Hull in January.

2l9qsz8.jpg

Top marks for the tactic. I should have won this but we completely collapsed at the end, thanks to injuries to key players and the utterly useless piece of crap that is Kolo Toure, who managed to almost single-handedly lose us the title.

I started a new season with these two, and first game of the PL season I was 7-0 up in 34 minutes. Yes, 7-0. That's never happened to me, in any version. :) I was thinking oh no, what have I done, this tactic is nerfed.

If somebody can show me a link to how to upload screenshots for game to posts here happy to show.

However, normal service resumed and am now 7th in PL in Oct which is more realistic.

KUEK should try Rhys Turner at Newcastle!

That should work!

One thing i have noticed with strikers that you can't let them go without scoring for too long.

For example last season, when Rhys scored 36 league goals, he actually had several games without goals. I took him to private chat, told him that if he doesn't start to score again, someone else will take his place. In the next match he scored again.

If that wouldn't have helped, i would have played someone else for a time and then given him another chance.

Striker is no good for the team, if he doesn't score or create goals. No matter what the name is in the back of the shirt.

mr rosler your tactics have been good 1st rainmaker very good but you may have some competition now if mr hough releases his tactic as promised tomorrow but well wait and see

All good. Very happy with the results and style of football we have here.

And hopefully he releases it here and not FM base exclusively as their tactics forum is much busier and this forum needs supporting a bit more. Nothing against FM-Base, my own tactic is up there but I consider this place home.

Looking forward to seeing it :thup:

Which foot is preferred for the Complete Forward?

Right ideally, but not a massive issue. if you have a good lefty thats fine. you could even swap the roles around so f9 on the right etc.

Lefty playing on right might cut inside occasionally which is not a bad thing.

And amazingly, its working remarkably better in Serie B, despite no gelling at all as only just introduced it in March.

6 games - 6 wins, 16 goals scored, 2 conceded........

Must be something with Liverpool........lets see if it can get Parma into Serie A, and im guessing season 1 there will see silk and steel used a bit more than rainmaker.

Question: why did you go for a CF role and not a poacher? Looking at the critical stats for the position, a poacher seems to fit even better as a CF is more demanding?

Ah, the poacher conundrum.

You've kind of answered your own question.

I've opted for the CF because its more demanding.

Think of the last of the great modern day poachers...... Michael Owen, Jermaine Defoe, Hernandez at Man U, Darren Bent they all have one thing in common........ they spend most of their careers warming the bench.

That wasn't always the case in the days of Linekar, Robbie Fowler, van Nistelrooy, Inzaghi, Batistuta these guys were rightly lauded for their goal scoring prowess.

However, times change, with the rise of the Deep Lying Forward, Defensive Forwards, Inside Forwards their is no room for a 'one trick pony' at the highest level anymore.

Evolve or become obsolete.

No discerning manager would start with a 'Poacher' anymore so you will not find one in my tactics:herman:

However, at least in FM, I consider the Complete Forward/Attack to be a modern day reinvention of the Poacher, all of the advantages of the Poacher with none of the drawbacks, lethal goal scorers yet with the ability to create as well as score goals :brock:

Hello, Rosler. Update: After being promoted 3 times in a Row with Rimini (started in Italy C2), I got to Serie A with a media prediction of 20th.

I am in December, currently 5th, I am very happy but I trust your work and will make the switch during the New Year's break.

My only fear with v2 is that you kept 'retain possession' in it. My huge success with S&S, with both Flamengo and Rimini, was based on a 'without retain possession' customization of mine. I'll give it another shot, though, so I can give proper feedback after the season ends.

I will also most likely create another customized version of S&S, with counter+direct passing, for when I face huge monsters who will have higher possession no matter what. I will also let you know how that goes as well.

Hello,

Thank you very much. I use your tactic with PSG and i win everything the first season. It's incredible !!!!!

I have a question ! Which tactic do you use for a nation and which training,?

Thank you

Forgot to mention 1 thing: Changing the tactics for their v2 counterpart resulted in NO loss of fluidity, in case someone is worried to change during the season.

Other posters have implied this, but I confirm it from my experience.

Incredibly just won the Championship with Leeds having 3 games in hand after trailing Huddersfield around Christmas. Went with the principle of using Silk away and rainmaker home, only changing them if i fall behind away or leading at half time at home.

The real hero of the season has been Aspostolos Vellios on loan from Everton who has scored 28 goals so far with 3 games to go and the squad also have the top 4 average ratings in the league. I've signed Matthew Ryan for next season in the Premier League to replace Kenny. Fingers crossed we can keep ourselves alive in the Premier league with some big signings.

Archived