FM14: Liverpool F.C Thread - This Year is our Year!

cezar.sl

Anybody else have problem with the defence ? In the friendlies against Arsenal and Tottenham at Anfield (won both 5-2) they have like 5-6 clear changes. And in the first league game home against Swansea, they had 5 clear chances, against my 4. Still i won the game 4-0.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
his stats are improved but more importantly the shoot from distance ppm has been removed

That is great news. I might start a new game now. Suarez and Sturridge should both score a lot, Suarez especially is awesome. On the previous patch it was always difficult to get either of them to score anything close to real life.

However I don't feel as much need to play FM when we're doing so well IRL.

Anybody else have problem with the defence ? In the friendlies against Arsenal and Tottenham at Anfield (won both 5-2) they have like 5-6 clear changes. And in the first league game home against Swansea, they had 5 clear chances, against my 4. Still i won the game 4-0.

Yeah.

Brendan Rodgers

:)

Wouldnt even know how to do a spoiler lol just checking some of the stats i mean some not all lol

LOL me neither!!

Talking of Suarez, he has had almost as many injuries as goals since his return on mine... really want that new update just dont want to start again haha!

Liverpool are looking top notch now..

There's been a kind of reversal in what's needed with the update I feel...

In previous updates, LFC just needed a boost in attack as Suarez and Sturridge weren't up to scratch.. now it seems to me that the defence is a bit rickety given injuries and the fullbacks.

Really good save potential though.. may start one.

Just started a new save myself. Not sure how I'm going to set the team up, ideally would like both Suarez and Sturridge up front and to get Henderson, Coutinho and Sterling in the team as well. Will have to sacrifice either Gerrard or Lucas to do that I suppose and both are usually ridiculously good in FM. Trying to get Ricardo Rodriguez and a new CB in to boost the defence. Anybody got an tips on good young players who have been improved with the patch?

I just started what I intend to be virtually my final save on this years version of the game, with Liverpool today. Just a couple of questions, firstly why is Sheyi Ojo a central midfielder, thought he was a striker? And more importantly, why on earth is Suarez's ban STILL in the game, it expired long ago in reality, and I would have hoped SI would have removed it but obviously not.

Ojo is an attacking midfielder/winger in real life, so the change from a striker is correct. But I don't get why he's a central midfielder either. Thank heavens for the ingame editor to correct things like this. :)

ahhh another good win today against the saints, but back to where it matters most FM!! (joke lol)

but seriously back to FM,

I won the Carling Cup beating Man City in the final 2-0

I won the prem with a game remaining, finished two points clear of Man Utd, though i lost to Everton at ANFIELD on the last day 1-0 despite having so many shots.

Im in the FA CUP Final against City again... this will be a tough game as in the league they annihilated me 3-0, so far on fixtures between us its 2-1 to me.

I signed:

Balanta loaned back to River

Honda what a good signing in Jan for free... 15 games 5 goals and a few assits.

Quaresma for 650k played well got a few assists and a few goals chalked off for offside.

Cerri, not bad done well on loan at Northampton ( i think)

Richario Zivkovic (check name) played him once in the 1st team looks good.

Angel Correa, looking good sofar, only played about 10-15 games got a few important assists.

Jari Litmanen signed him because hes a legend and i wanted him to become the oldest goalscorer for us and he did at 42 against Everton :) match winner too, he capitalised on the keeper dropping it :) he is now becoming a coach for me.

Perruzi- got this lad in jan for 10mil upfront with Aspas, and another 11mil in add-ons. WOW twice the player Johnson is.

Future signing

Valdes, im still not convinced on Mingolet, keeps kicking it to the opposition, im not joking when i say he gave atleast 6 or more goals away with individual mistakes.

Anybody got any ideas who to sign for right-back? I've picked up Shaw for left-back (and Ter Stegen for GK) but with Kelly and Johnson both being pretty injury prone, I'd really like some cover for that position. Ideally somebody good enough that I could sell Johnson and that can also fill in at DM (currently Toure and Agger are my backup DMs, which is not ideal).

Sam Byram has been class for me. He should be quite cheap too, I bought him for £5m at the end of the first season. He'll improve rapidly with Premier League games and he's a very well rounded full-back. Nathaniel Clyne is good too and also costs around £6 million but he's not as good as Byram mentally.

How are you lining up kingdalglish?

Ideally I'd like to go

Gk, FB, CD, CD, FB

DMC

MC

AMR AMC AML

ST

its the allocating of roles combining the mentality and fluidity is where I fall short...

WB on support,

the DMC as an anchor,

Gerrard DLF

Sterling as winger on right,

Coutinho as treq,

Suarez IF (free role)

Sturridge up front as AF....

Ideally I'd like to go

Gk, FB, CD, CD, FB

DMC

MC

AMR AMC AML

ST

its the allocating of roles combining the mentality and fluidity is where I fall short...

WB on support,

the DMC as an anchor,

Gerrard DLF

Sterling as winger on right,

Coutinho as treq,

Suarez IF (free role)

Sturridge up front as AF....

Please be aware this is how I play at times - take or leave the following as you see fit, there are much more knowledgeable players than I.

From your formation, you may get caught out in centre of midfield for numbers and WingBack roles are more suited to Inside Forwards, Full Back role better suited to wingers, I tend to go with something like:

41DM221 Attacking Strategy/Rigid Philosophy at home, Counter/Balanced or Rigid Away

Position (Role) [Duty]

Gk (Gk or Sweeper Keeper) [Defend]

FB (WingBack) [Attack], DC (Defend) [Defend], DC (Defend) [Defend], FB (WingBack) [Attack]

DM (Defensive Midfielder or HalfBack) [Defend]

MC (Advanced Playmaker) [Attack], MC (Deep Lying Playmaker) [support]

AMR (Inside Forward) [Attack], AML (Inside Forward) [Attack]

FC (Trequarista) [Attack]

Tweaks:

If playing against 2 strikers or playing wide as team instruction, make DM a HalfBack otherwise whichever you choose

If facing 4231 with 3 AMCs, change MC (deep playmaker) to DM (deep playmaker) so formation becomes a 42DM121 and FB dutys - change to support, remove play wide - in addition you could play narrow and exploit wings

If away then sometimes (use judgement) tweak dutys of wide players to less aggressive

If playing 442 you could play wider and exploit middle - were you have more numbers and force their central 2 MCs further apart by playing wider

If playing Attack strategy at home against team parking the bus (you are much better than) and you cant score then drop to Control strategy and drop the high defensive line and high tempo and add retain possession (sometimes dropping deeper also helps) - this draws opposition out a bit more and can b helpful in breaking them down.

Player instructions: GK - distribute to Defence

Team Instructions: Play Wider, Much Higher defensive line, much higher tempo, hassle, stay on feet

This is a starting point only -tweaks according to opponents/playing home or away required

Later at end of game to hold onto a tight lead bring in retain possession, could drop duties of full backs to Defend, and if needs must (under real pressure) you can always drop MC deep playmaker to DC to make 5 at back and change MC advanced playmaker to support duty

It is vital to learn your tactics asap and when done, use team cohesion on match strategy as base and just tweak according to scout report for individual matches. Pay attention to the scout report - it will give hints on opponents weaknesses and strengths - incorporating this will do no harm at all.

In terms of fitting players into formation I go roughly:

Mignolet (always try and get in Ter Stegen asap)

Johnson, Skrtel, Balanta, Alex Sandro (latter 2 signed for about 8.25 and 11.5 approx. not all up front) but Agger and Enrique would do also

Lucas (can pick up Mama Diarra ex Madrid player for free as cover for this season)

Gerrard (Deep playmaker), Coutinho (Advanced playmaker - start training as MC asap)

Sturridge (AMR), Sterling (AML)

Suarez (Treq) (Aspas as backup -sign Zivcovic, young 16yo dutch player for future approx. 750k)

Coutinho can be moved to AML as Advanced playmaker still and Hendo as BBM in his position

Watch the match on Comprehensive and react if you need to - manage your team according to how the game is going - if you find you are being exploited out wide then be less aggressive and drop Wingback duties to Support - change team instructions - you my want to keep ball a little more. Grind out the results early on in season, sometimes you have to be cautious to begin with until your team I more gelled with both themselves and your tactics.

There are 3 stickied threads on Tactics and Training Discussion forum that may interest you:

WWFan's How to Play FM14: A Twelve Step Guide (not linked - lazy cut and paste of title)

llama3's Pairs & Combinations: The Complete Series (not linked - lazy cut and paste of title)

Cleon's Creating A Tactic - Design, Create and Maintain (not linked - lazy cut and paste of title)

Let me know how you get on - Good luck with your game, and feel free to ask anything, If I can help I will. They are also a helpful lot on the tactics and training forum too.

Had a pretty awful start to the 1st season with Liverpool but a strong finish saw me finish 7th and win the FA Cup Final. Then something very weird happened as I landed big name signing after big name signing.

Started off with Thiago Silva for 25mil. PSG finished 3rd and I guess he wasnt too happy.

Then Dominico Berardi for a combined 15mil. That was my budget gone.

Real Madrid offer for Suarez..negotiate to 55 mil and he's gone. Coutinho was pretty poor, he goes to Schalke for 30mil.

I meet release clauses for Diego Costa + Marco Reus and both join (they did the "not very interested but offer me lots of money and i'll consider)...end up on 105k and 115k a week respectively.

So yeah finish 7th, barely get in Europa League and manage to attract Thiago Silva, Diego Costa and Reus

Had a pretty awful start to the 1st season with Liverpool but a strong finish saw me finish 7th and win the FA Cup Final. Then something very weird happened as I landed big name signing after big name signing.

Started off with Thiago Silva for 25mil. PSG finished 3rd and I guess he wasnt too happy.

Then Dominico Berardi for a combined 15mil. That was my budget gone.

Real Madrid offer for Suarez..negotiate to 55 mil and he's gone. Coutinho was pretty poor, he goes to Schalke for 30mil.

I meet release clauses for Diego Costa + Marco Reus and both join (they did the "not very interested but offer me lots of money and i'll consider)...end up on 105k and 115k a week respectively.

So yeah finish 7th, barely get in Europa League and manage to attract Thiago Silva, Diego Costa and Reus

What.on.earth.

What.on.earth.

Tell me about it. I couldnt beleive it. Desperately tried to sell Coutinho when I found out I could get Reus + Costa but couldnt afford them both on Suarez money due to agent fees. But yeah there's no way I should of been able to get them after the season I had.

WOW what signings, Coutinho was probably my second player of the season behind Gerrard on my game with 10 goals and 16+ assists.

Im going to try for Tiago Silva when i get home. Its annoying though as Falcao is interested in signing for me but wants 400k a week!!

Finally started my liverpool save with the Jan update.

Going well in the league but its tight at the top for champs league places in december with a handful of points seperating 1st and 6th and I've been dominated a few times by the other big teams, namely ManU early when my team was still learning my formations and then pumped recently by citeh away.

Bought Balanta and Alex Sandro and they're both being bedded in slowly, have an abundance of defenders who I'm probably rotating too much. Sandro was a bit of a panic buy after Enrique hurt himself pre-season and missed the first couple months of the season. Also agreed a deal for Hughes but he's spending the season at Derby.

Squad is pretty thin (and weak after my starting first 11) so I'm going to give the kids game time in the cups and last minute substitute appearances. This caused Harry Wilson to become not only Liverpool's youngest PL goalscorer but the youngest in the competition's history.

My real problem is getting both of SAS to perform, generally only one plays well and it's whichever is in the striker position (either poacher or advanced forward) as i play a 4-5-1 meaning the other is shifted out to their opposite footed wing to play as an IF at AML/AMR. Sterling ends up occupying the other as either a winger or IF and outperforms whoever is in the other AM position. Can't get Coutinho to perform either, he's rubbish on the left (Advanced playmaker and occasionally IF) and has only played a few games at AMC due to tactics and injuries.

I'm seriously doing something right in this game, but I have no idea what.

I have had a few private messages lately asking for advice, but there seriously isn't a lot of advice I can give. :lol:

My team have currently played 34 games and have won all 34. That does include cup games, but the form that the team is on is something else, and I'm almost scared to post the screenshots in case I get accused of cheating if I decide to post on other sites. :lol:

Title secured before January?

KBDhD7j.png

4OOgKSs.png

Ridiculous December fixture list as well. Same 4 teams in my last 5 so need a big cushion going in to those games. Made no additions to my squad and don't plan to in January either so will be a tough ask.

What season is that? You'll do well to keep it up with so many games remaining.

Just got to that start of my season

Transfers In:

Andre Hahn £2.1M (release fee, would recommend as a squad player)

Jonas Hofmann Loan (Sent Moses back as Hofmann looked a better player)

Southampton Home: 1-2 (Hofmann)

Stoke Away: 1-0 (Hendo)

Trammere Away: 2-0 (Hahn, Sakho)

Strurridge, Aspas and Gerrard all injured and of course Suarez has his ban, so have had to give Sinclair his debut

Archived