*Official* FM 13 Update 13.2.3 - Match Engine v1339 Constructive Discussion & Feedback

You cannot directly compare the discipline of two players, you've already pointed out that they have different aggression ratings & I'm sure it goes deeper than that, team tactics & player instructions are more than likely responsible.

My point is that M'Vila was fine the previous season and I had no issues. Now after the new patch (which coincided with the start of a new season) he is a complete liability to me. So something has happened on the patch that has affected this player (I know not intentional) more than most, but also the number of yellow cards in general. Oh, by the way, the opposition are getting a fair few red cards as well, so it is not just me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a major overhaul to the ME, to rule out that your tactics need adjusting is foolhardy.

I've checked the yellow/red card statistics for a few leagues in different nations & the general pattern is that the FM card count is about 90% of real life figures for the last few season, there are a few oddities but personally I didn't feel it was worth raising in the bugs forum because the game needs random events to aid realism & immersion.

This is hilarious, you have created a tactic that has little space for your side, where they inevitably run through each other and then when they try to thread a pass they hit each other. And your inability to make good passes = a poor match engine. Dude you take the award for the most ridiculous post I have ever read, just because you have these issues doesnt' mean the rest of us are. If a lot of us are facing it then its an issue, if the AI is passing the ball around you and NOT HITTING players then there is something to be said about your system.

I don't think the match engine is perfect and I won't claim it is, cos its HEAVILY skewed towards taking advantage of a combination of attributes and ppms. Now this is allowing some of us to make brilliant sweeping tactics that rip teams apart. Even if you don't take advantage of this 'edge' you can still make good tactics. Just because you can't, just means you can't play the game or its just too hard for you. And if you can't accept that c'est la vie.

First off, you have absolutely no idea what tactics I use, or my tactical knowledge, yet you attempt to berate me by saying my post is "hilarious", and "ridiculous", and that I'm pretty much a cleuless tactician who the game is too hard for and I just have to accept that, whilst stating how the games ME is allowing you to make, and I quote, "brilliant sweeping tactics that rip teams apart." Now I've heard some arrogant, elitist crap in my time, but your post wins. Well done.

And it works both ways: Just because you're not having the issue, ever (finding this hard to believe), doesn't mean that other people aren't, as I've heard the problem mentioned a few times. Or do you have some special SI statistics available to you that nobody else knows about?

Also, you'll be pleased to know (or not) that the tactic I was testing the new patch on is actually from a very well respected tactician in this community, who is well known for making non exploiting, realistic tactics, that should work on pretty much any patch, or recent game, so I guess, by your logic, that means that the 'TheBetterHalf' is a pretty clueless tactician, who makes rubbish tactics because they don't work on this ME.

I wonder what proportion of those complaining about the match engine are using tactics created by someone else & how that number compares to the other group who are not seeing all these apparent issues? Just a thought & one that unfortunately we'll never know the answer to.

First off, you have absolutely no idea what tactics I use, or my tactical knowledge, yet you attempt to berate me by saying my post is "hilarious", and "ridiculous", and that I'm pretty much a cleuless tactician who the game is too hard for and I just have to accept that, whilst stating how the games ME is allowing you to make, and I quote, "brilliant sweeping tactics that rip teams apart." Now I've heard some arrogant, elitist crap in my time, but your post wins. Well done.

And it works both ways: Just because you're not having the issue, ever (finding this hard to believe), doesn't mean that other people aren't, as I've heard the problem mentioned a few times. Or do you have some special SI statistics available to you that nobody else knows about?

Also, you'll be pleased to know (or not) that the tactic I was testing the new patch on is actually from a very well respected tactician in this community, who is well known for making non exploiting, realistic tactics, that should work on pretty much any patch, or recent game, so I guess, by your logic, that means that the 'TheBetterHalf' is a pretty clueless tactician, who makes rubbish tactics because they don't work on this ME.

Aha! So the truth is out...you have no tactical nous and your defense is using someone elses tactic...i rest my case.

Aha! So the truth is out...you have no tactical nous and your defense is using someone elses tactic...i rest my case.

So let me get this straight: If somebody tests a new patch out with somebody elses realistic tactic, they automatically have no "tactical nous", and they're not allowed to complain about the ME because what they say is worthless as they have no understanding of football, or the ME and should basically not play the game because they're not good enough.

Yes, you're amazing. You're arrogance and elitism is truly astounding. Well done again.

So let me get this straight: If somebody tests a new patch out with somebody elses realistic tactic, they automatically have no "tactical nous", and they're not allowed to complain about the ME because what they say is worthless as they have no understanding of football, or the ME and should basically not play the game because they're not good enough.

Yes, you're amazing. You're arrogance and elitism is truly astounding. Well done again.

Dude you test patches or engines with your own tactics, and can't possibly claim that the engine is flawed if you don't. If you drove my ferrari and crashed it while taking a bend at 100, does that mean the car is crap? Cos i can take the bend at 140? Yes call me elitist and arrogant. I speak the truth, and if you can't handle the truth then thats your perogative. If you want to comment that the engine is flawed prove it, by making a logical tactic and base your opinions on some assertions that are based on honesty. If I am being arrogant and elitist then i am a proud arrogant ***.

Dude you test patches or engines with your own tactics, and can't possibly claim that the engine is flawed if you don't. If you drove my ferrari and crashed it while taking a bend at 100, does that mean the car is crap? Cos i can take the bend at 140? Yes call me elitist and arrogant. I speak the truth, and if you can't handle the truth then thats your perogative. If you want to comment that the engine is flawed prove it, by making a logical tactic and base your opinions on some assertions that are based on honesty. If I am being arrogant and elitist then i am a proud arrogant ***.

Funny when perfectly logical tactics that are created by users stop working overnight though with only a patch, right?

If you want logical tactics, then:

When I use a total of 5 defenders, then I expect to have a defense. Sadly, in this ME, I rarely ever have. 1 player making a mistake is something that could be acceptable, 4 players doing the same mistake at the same time is not, especially when I have instructed them to tackle hard, yet they still refuse to do it when they should. Conceding a goal through a player's mistake is tolerable, conceding a goal because your defense line decided to have a break is not. Once again,I repeat, while having them instructed to tackle hard.

Wingers were off the charts pre-patch and now they are close to useless. Many people who used "perfectly logical tactics" with wingers had them destroyed. Things went overboard with their tweaks on that part as well.

I could keep going and extend towards keepers as well, but that's been said many times already. The awesome dribbles down the line all the way to the keeper's face are not completely gone either, even though close to noone in their mind would attempt something like that.

The patch didn't fix the flaws of the ME, it just made them a wee little less frequent. That's not a fix, that's a band-aid. Even the through balls happening more often is just a frequency change and not a proper fix on how they occur.

This is not how it works.

The match is simulated in full. It's not done in real time, yes, but it does not tack on a random sequence of events in match view just to show a goal being scored. Every action of every player is calculated. So if your GK or defender makes a howler then the ME has calculated him doing so. It might pick the wrong animation so some things may look weird in 3D but that's another story.

The match result is calculated when you hit play at the start of the match, the only time anything is recalculated is if you make a substitution or a tactical change. You are right in that the visual representation is not random, but it is simply a visual representation of the calculations done when you click play. I think some of the crap we see is maybe not fully the fault of the ME but rather the antiquated 3d engine struggling to properly animate what the ME has dictated to happen.

But yeah , that is another argument and one best avoided, people always seem to have problems differentiating the ME and 3d engine , resulting in awful threads full of stupid.

The only way SI will consider making changes this late in the FM13 cycle is if people provide enough examples of these consistent & unrealistically frequent issues, looking in the ME bugs forum there has hardly been what you could call a massive surge in activity.

Anecdotal feedback is fine but hard evidence & plenty of it is what's required.

@dking: TBHs tactics are not realistic and are exploitive. That is all.

@johnyfooty: I've used the same tactic from Beta through release and up until now. It works and has won titles, in style, on all patches. If the tactic is realistic and non-exploitive it'll work on any patch and not need adjusting. So stop spouting nonsense.

A few people have said it already but most complaints seem to come from people with little understanding of football. Perhaps if people understood that this ME represents real football and not FIFA/PES arcade football there would be less spleen venting.

Speaking of which...

When was the last time any of you saw a scorpion or scissor kick? Two-footed tackle? I saw those occasionally in FM12, but so far none in 13. Am I just unobservant or are they much rarer than before -- or maybe they no longer exist in this ME? :/

@johnyfooty: I've used the same tactic from Beta through release and up until now. It works and has won titles, in style, on all patches. If the tactic is realistic and non-exploitive it'll work on any patch and not need adjusting. So stop spouting nonsense.

Give me one reason why your "I" has more value than anyone else's "I".

"I don't have a problem, so noone should have a problem."

Now if that is what someone calls solid argumentation.

If only a handful of tactics work correctly without being "exploits" like everyone wants to claim, then there is a problem right there.

Oh,and if for 20 years now winning in this game was just a matter of exploit, what have we been doing all this time exactly? I love how every year the elitism goes over the roof and the last year was "all about exploits".

And since you're here, what team are you managing by the way? Have you even tried LLM? Because playing there feels more like gambling than managing.

The match result is calculated when you hit play at the start of the match, the only time anything is recalculated is if you make a substitution or a tactical change.

I've never claimed otherwise. I was just responding to the point about defenders only doing stupid things because the game has decided there will be a goal. This is not true at all. The goal is scored because of the defender doing something stupid not the other way around.

The animation are in dire need of an major overhaul, my fear is that are will not get the investment that it requires to bring it in line with the match engine's capabilities.

The animation are in dire need of an major overhaul, my fear is that are will not get the investment that it requires to bring it in line with the match engine's capabilities.
i couldn't agree more, its the one facet of the game i am a huge critic of. When we first saw 3d, i was concerned that inaccurate translation would generate more grief than it was worth. Today the engine has moved miles ahead of the animation. Keeper mistakes for example: we don't see enough animations of that, failed challenges etc. Its the main reason why i prefer 2D over 3D and its probably the reason why a lot of people find the engine lacking cos the nearest 3D equivalent is FIFA or ProEvo. When people start expecting to see similar translations that's when the issues start.

Give me one reason why your "I" has more value than anyone else's "I".

"I don't have a problem, so noone should have a problem."

Now if that is what someone calls solid argumentation.

If only a handful of tactics work correctly without being "exploits" like everyone wants to claim, then there is a problem right there.

Oh,and if for 20 years now winning in this game was just a matter of exploit, what have we been doing all this time exactly? I love how every year the elitism goes over the roof and the last year was "all about exploits".

And since you're here, what team are you managing by the way? Have you even tried LLM? Because playing there feels more like gambling than managing.

My 'I' is no more important but it does point out that that not all tactics are destroyed by patches which - to answer another of your points - suggests that mine is based on sound footballing logic and not exploits. Whether those exploits are deliberate or incidental is irrelevant.

To deny that each iteration of FM hasn't had exploits is just denial for the sake of it. 'Diablo' anyone?

Oh and while I'm here: I'm currently managing Spurs but have had saves with Red Bull Salzburg, Bayern, Sampdoria, Atalanta, Inter and Shaktar. No I haven't gone LLM but then I rarely do. It bores me. That said RB Salzburg in the Austrian Bundesliga are hardly at a great level.

Things I still don't like:

1) Ratings: I know they're subjective, but when you see "objective" mistakes and no drop in rating you start to wonder: is it a bug? Something wrong with the tactic? Or simply the "wrong" animation? I currently have a tactic that gives my team an average of 15 shots and 2/3 ccc every match, while my opponents are left with an average of 2/3 shots and 0/1 ccc. Yet I fail to win every match: I guess it happens, but it should happen for a reason: bad GK? No, his av. rating is 7.0; bad strikers? No, their av. rating is 7.30/7.40.

2) Fitness/condition: does it have an effect whatsoever on the performance? In my experience with FM[insert number here], an unfit, motivated player plays much better than a fully fit but nervous player. I don't think it should (always) be the case. I still don't see cramps, for instance, nor mistakes caused by fatigue.

3) Oh the drama... Or, "Expect the unexpected". Sometimes it looks like every match MUST be a memorable experience. Every good (or bad) run must come to an end with the "wrong" opponent. A player's form goes up up up and then down down down (or vice versa) with no reason and no "forewarning". This is especially the case with mediocre teams overachieving: your decent full back is a legend for three matches and then suddenly becomes a natural calamity.

4) Tactics: as usual, different parts of the game evolve at different speed. The way it is now, the tactics screen is so esoteric that it could be probably be used as an admission test for the masonry...

My 'I' is no more important but it does point out that that not all tactics are destroyed by patches which - to answer another of your points - suggests that mine is based on sound footballing logic and not exploits. Whether those exploits are deliberate or incidental is irrelevant.

Highlighted it for you.

If your tactic works, then good for you and I'm happy for you because you can get some enjoyment out of the game, I really am. Not everyone's does though and even if they do, they fall apart 1-2 seasons later, making the game feel completely random and inconsistent.

I'm a LLaMa & as I've had to develop my own tactical approach rather than download a one-size fits all tactic I find it much easier to deal with updates & make any changes that are required, I've seen similar feedback from other LLM players & so far none of them have been bouncing up & down complaining about a bugged match engine or that their tactics have imploded.

Highlighted it for you.

If your tactic works, then good for you and I'm happy for you because you can get some enjoyment out of the game, I really am. Not everyone's does though and even if they do, they fall apart 1-2 seasons later, making the game feel completely random and inconsistent.

Good highlighting. Well done.

The reason my tactic doesn't fall apart is because its based on sound footballing logic. Anyway my experience of these threads is that people don't come here for help or advice. Just a whine and some confirmation by others that their deficiencies are the games fault. As ever the tactics and GPTG forums are the places to go for help and more often than not I can be found in there sharing my experiences and helping those that want to learn.

I totally disagree that fitness/condition has no effect. I make a real effort at squad rotation, and ensuring I always have 11 players starting a match at 93% condition plus, where the players are not rated by the game as tired. I often notice my team taking control of a game at the end, and certain don't have the problem with conceding late goals that other players do. In the second half of my current season, the teams in and around me have been playing a lot of matches with players in the 70/80% range and I have pulled away in the league. At the start of January I was neck and neck with my closest rivals, with a couple of games left in the season I'm 25 points clear. I believe this is largely due to my playing week in, week out with a fully fit team.

Condition, has effect. I exchange my eleven very often, because of condition. Just the goalkeeper never change. I always manae and strive to have my players at 100% every single match. Usually I use my second team in the less important matches and at home and the first team against good teams and away matches.

MY defender just put the ball into his own net from the half way line after the keeper walked out of the way of a simple back pass.

I'm going to log this bug in the bugs forum and then I'm finished with FM13. I really don't see the point in it any more because the ME is useless to the point where you feel like tactics are completely irrelevant.

This year has some great improvements like the development lists etc but the ME and some other changes to the interface have made it terrible. I've gave it a good crack (Currently in 2023) but this, at the moment, is the worst Football Manager to be released. I'm away back to 12.

F**king gutted.

Good highlighting. Well done.

The reason my tactic doesn't fall apart is because its based on sound footballing logic. Anyway my experience of these threads is that people don't come here for help or advice. Just a whine and some confirmation by others that their deficiencies are the games fault. As ever the tactics and GPTG forums are the places to go for help and more often than not I can be found in there sharing my experiences and helping those that want to learn.

Well, that's not my concern. I can settle for a mediocre tactic as well and I have found plenty of them. I do have the patience to go for long term nurturing of talents that will make your team work.

What bothers me is this and I'll use FM12 as an example:

In FM12, regardless of whether I lost or won, I saw some good highlights and some good football. In FM13, losing means that you will be spectating the stupidest of mistakes from your players, to the point where a person will want to tear his own hair out. Similarly, winning means nothing, because the majority of the goals will be of similar value as when you lose. If you get where I'm going. Putting results aside, it just doesn't feel enjoyable.

The complete lack of feedback of what the user does wrong doesn't help either, but that's another story altogether.

Well, that's not my concern. I can settle for a mediocre tactic as well and I have found plenty of them. I do have the patience to go for long term nurturing of talents that will make your team work.

What bothers me is this and I'll use FM12 as an example:

In FM12, regardless of whether I lost or won, I saw some good highlights and some good football. In FM13, losing means that you will be spectating the stupidest of mistakes from your players, to the point where a person will want to tear his own hair out. Similarly, winning means nothing, because the majority of the goals will be of similar value as when you lose. If you get where I'm going. Putting results aside, it just doesn't feel enjoyable.

The complete lack of feedback of what the user does wrong doesn't help either, but that's another story altogether.

Mediocre tactic?! **** off.

And using the arcadey, pace is the bee all and end all fm12 as an example is not going to win you any arguments when talking about realistic football sims.

In FM12, regardless of whether I lost or won, I saw some good highlights and some good football.
Casual arcade-ishly maybe. But a FM where Usain Bolt would be the best striker in the world is no football management simulation, it's more down the Call of Duty road.

Casual arcade-ishly maybe. But a FM where Usain Bolt would be the best striker in the world is no football management simulation, it's more down the Call of Duty road.

Defenders doing stupid mistakes every 2nd match is not realism for me either. So, it depends what you call arcade-ishly. Because defenders being afraid to chip a toenail is not realistic either. Quite the contrary actually.

And let's not even go to goalkeepers.

Do the movement seem more realistic? Yes.

Do the decisions seem more realistic? No.

I'm supposed to manage a football team, not a grant a wish foundation.

Mediocre tactic?! **** off.

And using the arcadey, pace is the bee all and end all fm12 as an example is not going to win you any arguments when talking about realistic football sims.

Reading comprehension level low or what? I didn't call your tactic mediocre...I called mine.

And I didn't mention anything about the overpowered pace of FM12, you did. And even though it has improved slightly, it's not entirely gone in FM13 either. Pacey players are still much better than what they should be against players with high technical stats.

You don't get what i said, right? Because the graphical translation into the 3rd dimension of the calculations the ME does isn't super pretty, the game mechanics behind them are realistic and not plug&play-ishly mastered by any 3 year old that wants to occasionally play the game. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is not my point, just pointing out the main difference between the ME now and in FM12. Not more defender mistakes for me than approx. in the real matches I watch.

You don't get what i said, right? Because the graphical translation into the 3rd dimension of the calculations the ME does isn't super pretty, the game mechanics behind them are realistic and not plug&play-ishly mastered by any 3 year old that wants to occasionally play the game. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is not my point, just pointing out the main difference between the ME now and in FM12. Not more defender mistakes for me than approx. in the real matches I watch.

If you point me what else someone can change other than instructing his defenders to tackle hard in order for them to start defending, then your point might have some value. But if they are afraid to dive after being intructed to tackle hard and dive into tackles, then sorry, something is wrong and it's not tactics.

There seems to be close to no difference on where someone will have their tackles slider.

I wouldn't care if they missed their tackle. I do care when they don't tackle at all when they are specifically instructed to do so.

Right now the only thing that seems to matter is that today the defenders decided to defend,but who knows, tomorrow they might decide they can't bother.

If you point me what else someone can change other than instructing his defenders to tackle hard in order for them to start defending, then your point might have some value. But if they are afraid to dive after being intructed to tackle hard and dive into tackles, then sorry, something is wrong and it's not tactics.

There seems to be close to no difference on where someone will have their tackles slider.

I wouldn't care if they missed their tackle. I do care when they don't tackle at all when they are specifically instructed to do so.

My point is at least not devalued by thinking of FM as a onedimensional thingy with specific on/off buttons that have no correlation whatsoever.

"5 defenders = now i must have a defense!" is the same shallow logic and I begin to see a pattern here. Not understanding what a good tactic is and what to expect from it is the same stupidity, or is being tactically inept being negated by buying Guardiola's tactics and blindly "using" them? FM is not so obviously simple. Football is neither, the afore statements would even get you kicked out of coaching sunday league teams.

Post your tactic in full detail in the appropriate section and you will eventually get some further explanations as to why what you're seeing is down to you or if it's ME irks.

Why are many people so in denial?

Why are so many people thinking that those who are not happy with the game are players who have 0-0-30 seasons and they are unhappy that they can't win a match?

You are starting to irritate me and for that I will stop here before I trigger the wrath of any moderator if I go over the edge. If you consider the game on its current state good, then good for you. I'm not and you won't be changing that opinion with your "you are bad,I'm good and I know what I'm saying." attitude.

Reading comprehension level low or what? I didn't call your tactic mediocre...I called mine.

And I didn't mention anything about the overpowered pace of FM12, you did. And even though it has improved slightly, it's not entirely gone in FM13 either. Pacey players are still much better than what they should be against players with high technical stats.

I guess your reading comprehension level is low also if you didn't get the point about holding up the fm12 as an example. But whatever. I'll leave you to your whining. You seem good at it and happy in doing it. Take care.

@johnyfooty:

Never said anything about winning/losing ratios or being good/bad. Just about you not understanding the game, if you think it's as simple as you stated yourself with your previous posts. Maybe that and what others already tried to explain and doesn't get through to you might be part of the bad experience you're having.

So yes, if you're not willing to understand anything and ignore every attempt to reason, then it's better for you to stop here and keep on blaming the game for everything.

Does the match engine still consider one side the home side in matches in neutral venues? Just had a cup semi final that went to a replay, in the first match the opponents were listed first, and came into the game playing a 4-4-2, the crowd noises and pre match blurb seemed to indicate they were the home side. Then in the replay, I'm listed first and they come into the game with a 4-5-1, I'm suddenly the strong favourite, despite being the underdog last time, and the crowd are on my side.

The glaring one for me after a couple of matches is (as many have mentioned) the ball not slowing down and racing away like it's on ice or like there's a tornado blowing.

It's a shame cos it impacts on every pass not just the long ones, and as a result effects the whole feel of the match negatively imo.

Overall it's a pretty good update after the terrible release and updates since. There's still some pretty major issues that I cannot believe got through testing, but it really is close to being good now. Hopefully FM14 will have a better ME, because this is the least I've played a SI release.

Defenders consistently under-hit a back pass to the keeper, which I see has been noted in this thread. Goalkeeper distribution is also really poor at times.

I've conceded goals via:

A defender running towards a bouncing ball on the half way line and trying to flick it via his head back to the keeper (the striker got it and walked past the keeper for a tap in)

A defender sprinting to keep in a ball that was going out for a corner, only to just keep it in near the corner flag and attempt a pass back to the keeper with 3-4 forwards near him (intercepted by a striker right in front of the keeper for a tap in)

Just a couple of examples from around a dozen (probably more) that happened to me in my first season since the update, both for and against my team. Obviously players make mistakes, but these kind of mistakes are something you would probably see once a season, not multiple times.

If i get time I'll upload some of them for people to pick holes in.

I have high hopes for FM14, but sadly FM13 just hasn't done it for me. Respect to the guys at SI though, because it really was close to being great.

I just started playing this years FM and with this new update installed i thought it starts off with all the latest transfers from Jan at their new clubs? I started with Liverpool and Sturidge and Counthino are still at their old clubs?

Archived