I turned down Real Madrid

He didn't turn them down, though. At no point did he say no to Real. It was United that did all the saying no. Ronaldo made his desire clear and left it at that.

Please read below, especially the part in bold at the bottm.

Cristiano Ronaldo has finally ended speculation about his future by insisting that he will stay at Manchester United for at least another season. Having made no secret of his desire to join Real Madrid this summer, Ronaldo will return to Manchester tomorrow after conceding defeat in his efforts to force a move to the Spanish champions.

In an interview with Público, the Portuguese newspaper, Ronaldo said: “Yes, I am going to stay at Manchester United. I will stay for at least this season. Ferguson heard my reasons, I heard his and indeed we had an agreement that the best for both parties would be if I stay.” Having been ruled out until October after surgery on his ankle, Ronaldo was due to have the injury assessed today by Niek van Dijk, a surgeon at the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam, before returning to Manchester, where he will step up his rehabilitation.

While Ronaldo, 23, is expected to receive a warm welcome from his United team-mates, several of whom he has been in regular touch with, it remains to be seen how the Portuguese is received by the club’s supporters. Many have expressed outrage at the player’s attempts to broker a move to the Bernabéu.

Ferguson tried to defuse a potential revolt by claiming that it was easy for a young player to have his head turned by the offer of vast riches in the face of such brazen courting from Real, but Ronaldo refused to blame anyone but himself for the situation and emphasised that United would have the same committed player next season who scored 42 goals last term.

“There were rumours that I would stay against my will, but I want to clear something up right now — who says or writes that is lying,”[/Quote]

If he hadn't have decided to say "no" and was been forced to stay, then the text in bold would not have been said by Ronaldo himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the point of the thread, and to answer the following question;

Has anyone turned down a big club to stay were they are?[/Quote]

Well yes, but I was laready at a big club.

After 3 highly successful seasons managing Juventus, Internazionale sacked Roberto Mancini and offred me the job. But I just couldn't leave my beloved Juventus.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happens all the time, so far in my save as Rangers I have turned down Real Madrid, Barca, Milan and Man Utd, after that I got fed up and just kept denying it in the media then they didnt approach me unless they were really keen.

I turned down Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and many others while managing Hercules because I like to stay with the same club and buy lots of 17-19yr promising youngsters and eventually I won everything there is to win while maintaining average age of 22-23y in first team and even sold some wonderkids for 60m and constantly get offers for them..barca and real are full of 30+ yr players while I dont have a player over 26 in my team because I sell them to make room for new players

Please read below, especially the part in bold at the bottm.

If he hadn't have decided to say "no" and was been forced to stay, then the text in bold would not have been said by Ronaldo himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the point of the thread, and to answer the following question;

Well yes, but I was laready at a big club.

After 3 highly successful seasons managing Juventus, Internazionale sacked Roberto Mancini and offred me the job. But I just couldn't leave my beloved Juventus.

There's a not so subtle difference between Ronaldo 'deciding' to stay at Man Utd (if it came down down to it he had not choice as Man Utd weren't prepared to sell him) and his 'saying no' to Real Madrid. For him to 'say no' to Real Madrid, Man Utd would have had to accept an offer from Real Madrid, which they didn't do.

I turned down on offer from Southend to stay at Burscough.

Now Southend are sitting comfertably in the playoff spots, while I'm dead bottom and staring relegation in the face.

I am now very very seriously mulling over an offer from Rotherham.

Have turned loads of big jobs down to stay with tiny teams. Anyway Barca are just as big as Real so its hardly a huge thing.

nice one mate. real madrid are the biggest club since football began.look at the records

nice one mate. real madrid are the biggest club since football began.look at the records

Er, no, by total number of titles, that belongs to Milan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_competition_records#By_Club

As for the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_club_competition_records#World-wide_Ranking_for_international_official_titles_won_by_squad_.28top_20.29

Still Milan.

I have turned down, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcastle in order to stay with my beloved Boca side. I just had to take Rivers record of 33 league wins, which I have done now but still don't wanna leave.

I have turned down, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcastle in order to stay with my beloved Boca side. I just had to take Rivers record of 33 league wins, which I have done now but still don't wanna leave.

Im kind of like that...................

Ive been in charge of Lyon now for 10 and a half seasons and have won the league in all of my 10 seasons. I have various offers from other huge European clubs, but I just cant bring myself to leave all this success behind.

Im kind of like that...................

Ive been in charge of Lyon now for 10 and a half seasons and have won the league in all of my 10 seasons. I have various offers from other huge European clubs, but I just cant bring myself to leave all this success behind.

Yeah I think one of the things is that being in south America I am constantly getting my top players poached of me, usually by Real (now theres a surprise) so in essence every couple of seasons I have to build new team which makes it interesting.

And like you say I cant leave, especially when you have spent so much time developing a team.

Nice try. Also compare who has won the most champions league titles.Yes,thought so,good try though.

Nice try. Also compare who has won the most champions league titles.Yes,thought so,good try though.

I maybe wrong but i guess thats a Man Utd fan who dosnt relise that football excisted before the Premier League. Champions League titles or European Cup titles are all the same at the end of the day, still classed as European Champions. Its like Liverpool had 4 European Cups and then won the Champions League which we got to keep as we had won it FIVE times, if its gona be like that then it will be who has the most coca cola cups,worthington cup,carling cups.milk cups,league cups, be there forever.

I maybe wrong but i guess thats a Man Utd fan who dosnt relise that football excisted before the Premier League. Champions League titles or European Cup titles are all the same at the end of the day, still classed as European Champions. Its like Liverpool had 4 European Cups and then won the Champions League which we got to keep as we had won it FIVE times, if its gona be like that then it will be who has the most coca cola cups,worthington cup,carling cups.milk cups,league cups, be there forever.

Yes I do realise, and it's called taking the mick. :rolleyes:

i always turn down all job offers, as i'm either already at a big club, or i'm trying to turn a small club into a big club, so leaving is pointless.

i did however, once have a pretty realistic story. i was at fulham, had just won the league by the skin of our teeth, and there's a board takeover. i'm fine with this, but then he says he'll replace me with mickey adams, despite me turning fulham into (fortunate tbh) champions. i manage to prove myself to him, despite feeling undervalued. i then only get given a 10mil transfer budget so i ask for more, which they deny me. then man u come knocking with a whopping 120mil budget, so i left. i'm pleased to say i crushed fulham the next season :)

I turned down most of the big European clubs whilst managing Rangers. After ten seasons though, I accepted the Barcelona job with a £200m kitty and a ridiculous wage budget. What a let down. I found it boring. Their squad was already amazing and the only players you could buy to add to the squad were costing 60 or 70 million. I could buy who I wanted but lost interest after 2 seasons and quit. Im now the manager of newly promoted Lazio in Serie A. I get far more enjoyment building my own team over a couple of years than cherry picking the best players at a "money no object club"

Incidently, to interfere in the argument about the worlds most succesful club- if you are basing it on trophies won the look no further than Rangers Football Club. 51 league titles and more trophies than any other club in the world. Closely followed by Linfield I believe.

I turned down Liverpool after leading QPR to the Premiership at the end of season 2. Also at the end of season 1 I turned down Man City after they were relegated and being offered a £50m kitty.

It's hard to leave once you have built a team and everything is in place to do well!

I have just turned down the Ghana national managers job as I wanted to concentrate on staying at Pompey and getting them into Europe again and then moving in to the new stadium.

I just thought managing a national team would have got in the way, but thinking about it afterwards, I think I should have done both jobs, as Ghana have some great players.

I turned down Barcelona. I had won literally everything for Arsenal for 3 years and went unbeaten in the league for 93 games. I fancied a new challenge when Barcelona and Milan came a knocking. Milan with pretty similar team to these days finished 17th in the league somehow. So i turned Barcelona down as I thought i could win the league with the same team that came 17th :)

I am half way through my 6th season as Liverpool manager and i am unbeaten in 104 Premier League games and 179 in all competitions, with about 16 draws. My contract runs out at the end of next season and do not want to sign a new one. I want a new challenge. I do not want to manage a big team in the prem, so might go to Spain, but i fancy going to a League 2 club and getting them in to the prem with my huge reputation. Might be a gamble but one i am willing to take. I have only spent £150mill whilst at Liverpool so going to a club with a small budget wouldn't be a problem.

I took Veendam to the Dutch Premier Division in my first season, I was surprised by it considering I was tipped to finish mid table but this Afonso striker scored 33 goals in 33 games. The second season in the Premier Division I was predicted to finish last place and go straight back down, and I thought I was cause I had to sell my best player Mile Krstev to keep the finances balanced and I was given no transfer money. A tough task but I got Afonso on a season long loan again and we ended up finishing 12th place, not bad. My third season was amazing. I was actually given some transfer money to work with and I signed Afonso on a permanent deal, and brought in some youngsters from France. After a crazy season we finished 2nd place to Ajax plus we won the Dutch Cup with a 2-0 win over Roda JC. After that I started to get offers from Spain, England, etc. I rejected offers from Bolton, Real Betis, Tottenham, and Man City. I just stayed at Veendam cause I asked for better facilities and youth facilities and got them, along with a stadium expansion :)

Archived