Understanding Your Tactic - The Discussion

Cleon, just wanted to say thanks for some amazing threads and great insight into how FM tactics work.

In the past, I've pretty much exclusively downloaded "ready made" tactics from the forum and just played like that. When that didn't seem to work this year, I started reading some of your stuff, and came up with my own formation.

Started out with a flat 4-4-2, but just couldn't get it to work, and gradually it evolved into more of a 4-5-1, but with wingers giving a lot of support to the front man. Having finally gotten it to a place where I wanted it to be, I started a new career game with Everton (old one corrupted just as my tactic seemed to be coming into its own)...

I think you could say it's been going quite well.

63y6j5.png

Each match has been so much more fun too, actually using the shouts and seeing the results of each change played out infront of me.

Thanks very much once again. I've been playing CM/FM since CM2 and this is the first year in about 7 or 8 where i've truly felt that "addiction" returning.

PS. Still got a slight regret that I haven't been able to get a flat 4-4-2 working... Playing that formation still feels more like "real" football to me, even though it's being used less and less in the real world these days.

PPS. One thing I noticed when I was experimenting in building this tactic, I just could not, COULD NOT get anything other than a defeat out of games against stoke. Any advice for playing that sort of side? Crouch was just absolutely destroying me.

You beat Sheff utd 6-0 then ask for my help? Not happening....

Only joking :D

Hmm what shape did Stoke use? The 442? Normally I just cut the supply off of the wingers and then the strikers don't get as involved because Crouch/Jones rely on crosses and have a great aerial threat. Also make sure that you wasn't using a stopper/cover combo because one of the strikers drops off the front and causes all sort of issues if you do.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You beat Sheff utd 6-0 then ask for my help? Not happening....

Only joking :D

Hmm what shape did Stoke use? The 442? Normally I just cut the supply off of the wingers and then the strikers don't get as involved because Crouch/Jones rely on crosses and have a great aerial threat. Also make sure that you wasn't using a stopper/cover combo because one of the strikers drops off the front and causes all sort of issues if you do.

Haha. Sorry about that! 6-0 was flattering.... sort of...

Yeah, 4-4-2. When you say cutting off supply to the wingers... I tried setting my fullbacks to tightly mark them, and it did improve the defensive side of things a bit, but the problem is that it pretty much nullifies Baines, who is one of my major attacking threats.

Centre backs are both just set to basic CD/D...

In terms of shouts, I tend to go with a relatively similar set up to your "Barcelona" custom shout set... but usually with pass into space, rather than to feet - seems to make me more attackingly threatening. Any of those I should be looking at changing when playing a side like Stoke?

Thanks for your help mate.

Haha. Sorry about that! 6-0 was flattering.... sort of...

Yeah, 4-4-2. When you say cutting off supply to the wingers... I tried setting my fullbacks to tightly mark them, and it did improve the defensive side of things a bit, but the problem is that it pretty much nullifies Baines, who is one of my major attacking threats.

Centre backs are both just set to basic CD/D...

In terms of shouts, I tend to go with a relatively similar set up to your "Barcelona" custom shout set... but usually with pass into space, rather than to feet - seems to make me more attackingly threatening. Any of those I should be looking at changing when playing a side like Stoke?

Thanks for your help mate.

Well I'd only tight mark them if my players were actually better than them. If not they'll just get skinned time after time. But I'd close them down, show onto weaker foot and stuff though.

I understand Baines is one of your main attacking threats (I use him too) but first and foremost he's a defender unless you use him as a ML. If the defensive players don't do the things like tracking back or cutting out dangerous threats then you'll always struggle. It shouldn't change his game much in an attacking sense because these are all things he should do when you don't have the ball. But you're going to have to decide risk vs reward :)

Hello gents, long time no see/speak. I've been out of action both on the forums and with the game for the last couple of months or so due to work commitments, but I finally managed to get a good few hours in today picking up where I left off.

My question to you Cleon, or lam for that matter...

With the theory behind this tactic, how many seasons, on average would it take for the teams around you to pick at your tactic to the point they become immune to it? Needless points dropped and lost against teams I was beating convincingly last year, and the year before using the theory of this tactic (TQ, 2 IF's etc). 3 seasons is surely too for the AI to grow accustomed to it right?

EDIT: And even so, if they did surely my attacking force of Cavani, Neymar and Sterling / Insigne , talent alone should beat some of the leagues defenders? Am I being a little naive in regards to reading the game further and further depending on the opposition to think they've beaten it already?

EDIT EDIT: Sorry if that last sentence didn't make much sense - English isn't my strongest language.

With the theory behind this tactic, how many seasons, on average would it take for the teams around you to pick at your tactic to the point they become immune to it? Needless points dropped and lost against teams I was beating convincingly last year, and the year before using the theory of this tactic (TQ, 2 IF's etc). 3 seasons is surely too for the AI to grow accustomed to it right?

The AI never become accustom to your tactic, ever!!!

The only thing the AI will do based on your rep is decide if they should defend or attack against you. So if you start as a rubbish team then majority of teams will be aggressive and attack you. So as you grow and pick up results and get better they'll start to reaccess how they play against you so the next time they might be more cautious against you. You might be doing well at first because the AI is attacking you, this means they are leaving space for you to exploit. If they are defensive then its down to you to break them down and stay concentrated for the full 90 minutes and don't get hit on the counter.

But the AI never learns or becomes familiar with your tactic.

EDIT: And even so, if they did surely my attacking force of Cavani, Neymar and Sterling / Insigne , talent alone should beat some of the leagues defenders? Am I being a little naive in regards to reading the game further and further depending on the opposition to think they've beaten it already?

I've used those players and they do fine for me for the past 7 seasons.

The AI never become accustom to your tactic, ever!!!

The only thing the AI will do based on your rep is decide if they should defend or attack against you. So if you start as a rubbish team then majority of teams will be aggressive and attack you. So as you grow and pick up results and get better they'll start to reaccess how they play against you so the next time they might be more cautious against you. You might be doing well at first because the AI is attacking you, this means they are leaving space for you to exploit. If they are defensive then its down to you to break them down and stay concentrated for the full 90 minutes and don't get hit on the counter.

But the AI never learns or becomes familiar with your tactic.

I've used those players and they do fine for me for the past 7 seasons.

Not sure how you managed this, but you've just made me dislike FM a little haha. Thanks for the quick reply, as efficient as ever.

Cleon - This is a great thread. I'm playing as Spurs but in FM12. I have s different tactic, but the explanations behind how the pieces fit together to build a style of play was really helpful for me. I went from clinging onto my league title to winning the quadruple, which required beating Barcelona (twice), Man City (3x), Arsenal and Man Utd. So...thanks!

Seeing as I have been using the tips from this thread I think this question probably belongs here. In the below screenshot why has every player reacted poorly to the team talk given by the assistant? 3-0 up against Man City and dominating?

halftimeteamtalk.png

What you on about?

The gentleman at the page before this were talking about the difference between a 451 and a 4231 where the 4231 requires exceptional work rate MC's, instead of playing as MC's why don't we play them as DM's then? Wouldn't it solve the problem having 2 CB and 2 DM's ro protect the back four

Cleon - This is a great thread. I'm playing as Spurs but in FM12. I have s different tactic, but the explanations behind how the pieces fit together to build a style of play was really helpful for me. I went from clinging onto my league title to winning the quadruple, which required beating Barcelona (twice), Man City (3x), Arsenal and Man Utd. So...thanks!

Cheers, I'm glad it helped you out :)

The gentleman at the page before this were talking about the difference between a 451 and a 4231 where the 4231 requires exceptional work rate MC's, instead of playing as MC's why don't we play them as DM's then? Wouldn't it solve the problem having 2 CB and 2 DM's ro protect the back four

Ah, you should maybe ensure you are quoting infuture so it makes sense :D

He was arguing the 442 needed harder working MC's than the 4231. However even if you played them as DM's they'd still need the same kind of workrate because they'd still have the same space to cover.

I've noticed that too about the 4231. I have two tactics I tend to use, a 4231 and a 41221, and with the 4231 my MCs (who have good stamina) often need to be subbed around 70 minutes because of all the distance they've covered. Also I find that while in posession it's deadly, the 4231 can be vulnerable through the middle. I've decided to stick with my 41221 unless I really expect to dominate.

Well, it's time to revisit the concept in here again. As you would have seen in the previous pages I had developed a tactic that was working for me at Everton. As time has gone by players have come and gone. While I was relatively happy with how I was going I thought I could be doing better. I decided to review my squad properly again and noted that I had accumulated four centre backs that all should be playing while I hadn't really replaced Leighton Baines or upgraded the RB position. From here I decided that playing three at the back could work well. I thought the extra player would be perfect as a striker for two reasons - a) an extra number in attack and not clogging the midfield and b) I had managed to sign Neymar (44.5m pounds) and thought that while he is great up forward as a lone Trequartista if I gave him a partner the scoring could really pick up as he would have a mate close by to pass to if he couldn't get the chance. The final formation ended up like this -

31222.png

At the moment I have played 10 games for 9 wins and a loss, averaging 2.8 goals per game and 0.9 against. While it is high against I am not too concerned as there was one lop-sided result (a 5-4 win against Southampton) that throws the stats out, bringing it down to 0.5 per game against, which I am more than happy to work with.

I guess the point is, you need to constantly be looking at your squad's strengths and weaknesses and work out if your winning tactic could be working even better.

I cant get my head around fm13 , I'm having real problems getting a run of good performances out of my Arsenal team playing a 4-2-3-1 , I have no problems scoring goals but keeping decent possession and conceding goals is big problem.

my team is set as follows

Balanced / Counter

Short passing

More expressive

More roaming

Drill crosses

Everything else is on default which means that most support or defensive player roles will man mark instead of zonal but I have changed the striker and amc to zonal and no man marking. Really at a loss , I conced 2-3 goals nearly every game I play.

GK/D--- Szczesny

FB/D---Taylor

DC/D---Vermalean

DC/D---Mertasacker

FB/D---Sagna

BWM/S---Fellaini

DLP/D----Arteta

IF/S----Podolski

AP/S---Corzorla

W/A---Walcott

DLF/S----Giroud

I cant get my head around fm13 , I'm having real problems getting a run of good performances out of my Arsenal team playing a 4-2-3-1 , I have no problems scoring goals but keeping decent possession and conceding goals is big problem.

my team is set as follows

Balanced / Counter

Short passing

More expressive

More roaming

Drill crosses

Everything else is on default which means that most support or defensive player roles will man mark instead of zonal but I have changed the striker and amc to zonal and no man marking. Really at a loss , I conced 2-3 goals nearly every game I play.

GK/D--- Szczesny

FB/D---Taylor

DC/D---Vermalean

DC/D---Mertasacker

FB/D---Sagna

BWM/S---Fellaini

DLP/D----Arteta

IF/S----Podolski

AP/S---Corzorla

W/A---Walcott

DLF/S----Giroud

The fullbacks are a vital part of the 4231 in both attack and defensive phases of play. They need to support the midfield when in attack and help out with defensive duties when you don't have the ball. You've got both these on defend so there is no support down the wings and your MC's will be struggling to cover the space they are required to mark. Plus when they do go to cover this leaves you exposed badly through the centre.

Plus the 4231 isn't really a possession based formation, what it is intended to do is make use of the possession in threatening positions. If you want possession then I'd advise using a different shape, something like the 41221.

No offence but I don't think you understand the shape that you use.

Seeing as I have been using the tips from this thread I think this question probably belongs here. In the below screenshot why has every player reacted poorly to the team talk given by the assistant? 3-0 up against Man City and dominating?

halftimeteamtalk.png

That's almost exactly what I had last night when I played it.

3-0 up at HT at home, my AssMan said the same thing and all my players seemed confused. The problem is you can't change what he's said so you are stuck with it. The opposition proceeded to come back to draw 3-3 and we only won it with a last minute Hitzlsperger belter.

Great game but if we hadn't have won it I would have been fuming!

How did your game finish?

Ah, you should maybe ensure you are quoting infuture so it makes sense :D

He was arguing the 442 needed harder working MC's than the 4231. However even if you played them as DM's they'd still need the same kind of workrate because they'd still have the same space to cover.

A real life example is Holland at the 2012 European Championship. One of the reasons they failed miserably is that the DMs in their 4231 (van Bommel and Nigel de Jong) didn't have the legs to cover enough space in the middle, this resulted in a huge gap in the midfield and isolated forwards.

The fullbacks are a vital part of the 4231 in both attack and defensive phases of play. They need to support the midfield when in attack and help out with defensive duties when you don't have the ball. You've got both these on defend so there is no support down the wings and your MC's will be struggling to cover the space they are required to mark. Plus when they do go to cover this leaves you exposed badly through the centre.

Plus the 4231 isn't really a possession based formation, what it is intended to do is make use of the possession in threatening positions. If you want possession then I'd advise using a different shape, something like the 41221.

No offence but I don't think you understand the shape that you use.

Thanks Cleon , I will try changing full backs to support roles , would you say my team instructions are ok?

Balanced / Counter

Short passing

More expressive

More roaming

Drill crosses

everything else is default

like I said in previous post with default marking it seems all defence or support roles change to man mark so I have changed my amc and striker who are on support roles to zonal along with my other attacking players all others on defence roles are on man mark.

Hi Cleon and rashidi. first of all thanks for your kind help and time.You two along with Lam have really been making this forum live(no offense wwfan)

In the weekend i finished my first season with Barnet npower league 2 (4231). Finished 17th(too bad although media prediction was 23). The problem i discussed with creating meaningful chances sorted out a bit a players started to blend.

I tweaked with roles a bit and noticed one thing that in my previous settings there was no players allowed to roam so i made one AMC as teraquista. most of the times he drags opp's DMC out of their positions and my other two AMc's get free. so now my AMC's who were all getting ratings of 6.4 suddenly started getting 6.9 with one of them to above 7.5. Another thing i stopped using poacher as i think this role is complete waste except u have chicarito.

As you pointed i needed two exceptional MC's and attacking fullbacks which i signed in my second season. one on loan and another on free. released deadwood players and strengthened my squad more than to my liking. After 10 matches i m sitting midtable which is still too bad (media prediction 24). Coz if you cant win promotion in league 2 in ur second season. you are playing bad. I am aiming for promotion playoffs. My main goalkeeper is injured for 4 months at start of sep. my backup goalie has 8,8,8(aer, comm, coa). at home i am doing well but away opposition cross a ball. No matter how bad is cross or how bad is striker. its a GOAL coz my goalie will walk away to opp side of goal where ball is coming. havent won a single away match yet :( not even a draw. played 41212 counter. also this threads main tactic. trained defensive positioning for away matches.

my goalie had good reflexes although. so what should i do to counter the crosses?

Hi Cleon and rashidi. first of all thanks for your kind help and time.You two along with Lam have really been making this forum live(no offense wwfan)

In the weekend i finished my first season with Barnet npower league 2 (4231). Finished 17th(too bad although media prediction was 23). The problem i discussed with creating meaningful chances sorted out a bit a players started to blend.

I tweaked with roles a bit and noticed one thing that in my previous settings there was no players allowed to roam so i made one AMC as teraquista. most of the times he drags opp's DMC out of their positions and my other two AMc's get free. so now my AMC's who were all getting ratings of 6.4 suddenly started getting 6.9 with one of them to above 7.5. Another thing i stopped using poacher as i think this role is complete waste except u have chicarito.

As you pointed i needed two exceptional MC's and attacking fullbacks which i signed in my second season. one on loan and another on free. released deadwood players and strengthened my squad more than to my liking. After 10 matches i m sitting midtable which is still too bad (media prediction 24). Coz if you cant win promotion in league 2 in ur second season. you are playing bad. I am aiming for promotion playoffs. My main goalkeeper is injured for 4 months at start of sep. my backup goalie has 8,8,8(aer, comm, coa). at home i am doing well but away opposition cross a ball. No matter how bad is cross or how bad is striker. its a GOAL coz my goalie will walk away to opp side of goal where ball is coming. havent won a single away match yet :( not even a draw. played 41212 counter. also this threads main tactic. trained defensive positioning for away matches.

my goalie had good reflexes although. so what should i do to counter the crosses?

Stop using a sweeper keeper?

You can also try and cut off the supply that the wide players give the strikers. Specific man marking, show onto weaker foot etc.

Stop using a sweeper keeper?

You can also try and cut off the supply that the wide players give the strikers. Specific man marking, show onto weaker foot etc.

I dont use a sweeper keeper. I have been using weaker foot instructions to make sure wingers cut inside if they play to their strong foot flank. Specific marking i think in every match away i'll have to set it and hope my main goalie get well soon. Thnks again. FM rocks !!!yo!!!

I dont use a sweeper keeper. I have been using weaker foot instructions to make sure wingers cut inside if they play to their strong foot flank. Specific marking i think in every match away i'll have to set it and hope my main goalie get well soon. Thnks again. FM rocks !!!yo!!!

You said you'd used the tactic at the start of the thread, that uses a sweeper keeper :D

Not the right place but I think Cleon is the man to ask about this...

Why can't my 25 year old CM/AM Jenssen be assigned as a tutor my 19 year old AM Vico? I go into Private Chat and the tutor option is grayed out for both players.

Hover over it and see what it says. Someone can't tutor if they are learning a PPM, injured, have a higher low rep than the person they are going to tutor etc.

Its probably stupid but it does not let me do Pump Ball Into Box & Pass Into Space, Any reason why?

I know im asking to wack it up field but i also want to put it into space so when eg my CB pass into space for FB run on to it he can Pump it into box.

Guys I have a really silly question, the strategies (Attacking, Standard etc), are they essentially a preset for the team instructions?

If I was to manually set all my team instruction sliders, would that make the strategies redundant?

Bleh never mind, spent an hour tweaking my tactic using the tips in this thread, got my passing accuracy close to 90% and now I lose 4-0 instead of 3-0. The only difference is my team plays well instead of *****, I still lose.

What am I doing wrong when I dominate every aspect of the game and lose all the time? Why isn't the game giving me ANY feedback whatsoever? All it says is how wonderful my team are playing and how despite the scoreline I am dominating the game. I feel like I'm wasting my time here.

Guys I have a really silly question, the strategies (Attacking, Standard etc), are they essentially a preset for the team instructions?

If I was to manually set all my team instruction sliders, would that make the strategies redundant?

Bleh never mind, spent an hour tweaking my tactic using the tips in this thread, got my passing accuracy close to 90% and now I lose 4-0 instead of 3-0. The only difference is my team plays well instead of *****, I still lose.

What am I doing wrong when I dominate every aspect of the game and lose all the time? Why isn't the game giving me ANY feedback whatsoever? All it says is how wonderful my team are playing and how despite the scoreline I am dominating the game. I feel like I'm wasting my time here.

Erm the game gives you all the feedback you need. Become familiar with the analysis tab, its all in there. You say you dominate games but do you actually dominate in threatning areas etc?

Did you watch the Spurs vs Man U game at the weekend? Granted it ended in a draw, but Spurs dominated the game and they only managed a draw in the 92nd minute!

Possession, shots on goal, corners..... you need more than this to win games.

You tweaked tacitcs until you got your passing to 90%.... well done, have a medal :), how about you tweak tactics meaningfully to win games.....

Whats with peoples obsessions over passing ratios? possession? shots?

halftimeteamtalk.png

I would have used the same comment but with a calm approach. I always view ASSERTIVE as point fingers at people and TELLING them rather than ASKING them things.

If you dominated the game and were playing well, then would you start point your finger at people TELLING them to keep it up, or would you say something like "well done lads, I'm happy with what you have done out there, you have played really well, just keep doing the same thing and the game is ours" and then pat a few of them on the back?

With team talks, it's not always about the actual message, it is often about the delivery.

Also, the team get used to you. I'm not sure if you have noticed or not but the media comments on how you handle media meetings. So if they do this, you can expect the team to do it too. Try to keep a constant attitude with the team, unless something major has happened.

I can get my team out on the field at kick off with at least half of the green every time now and it's a rare case that I get more than two reds at half time.

Also.... if you ask your Assistant to handle team talks, then to be honest, you can't really complain........ he is doing what you asked, if you don't like how he does it, then you do it :)

You tweaked tacitcs until you got your passing to 90%.... well done, have a medal :), how about you tweak tactics meaningfully to win games.....

How? There's no clues as to what's going wrong, I have more possession, more shots, more CCC's, I dominate in all areas and get turned over, 7 in a row now. What am I looking for, why is advice on this game always so cryptic, why is nothing documented so I have to rely on heresay on the forums?

I wouldn't mind if I was playing in the CL final, but I'm in Serie C2, why are the opposition managers so good? They rock up in a bog standard 4-4-2 and horse me.

How? There's no clues as to what's going wrong, I have more possession, more shots, more CCC's, I dominate in all areas and get turned over, 7 in a row now. What am I looking for, why is advice on this game always so cryptic, why is nothing documented so I have to rely on heresay on the forums?

I wouldn't mind if I was playing in the CL final, but I'm in Serie C2, why are the opposition managers so good? They rock up in a bog standard 4-4-2 and horse me.

Try reading what I put rather than skipping past it...

And I don't do hear say, I only deal in facts.

As Cleon intimated, I'd be damned surprised to see you having the lions share of possession in the opposing third with a 90% pass ratio! That high would suggest to me that you are setting up very deep and playing very deep with the ball.

Out of curisoity I just loaded up FM to see what widgets I have open during games. I have all of them active in windows apart from four; Match Overview, match report, latest scores and latest updates. Of those I have Match stats (edited to almost max), team ratings, opposition formaiton, radar and action zones constantly open. I also look at assistant comments every 5 minutes or so until the game is in control.

As well as all this, I use the analysis tab to establish positons on field (heat map), poor passing performances, interceptions and so on and so on. There is a TON of information in the game and I promise you that I don't use it all and I'm almost certain Cleon doesn't either.... my point being, there is SO MUCH information that you don't have to.

What is evident is that you don't understand it, which is fine, I'm not digging, but you need to understand that you don't understand it and then start to learn it. Post some pictures of the stats, the heat map, the shots etc etc, then get help that way.

How is it possible to have no clue what's going wrong?

Just watch the match, then you'll know.

Should try focusing more on attacking in training and see if that helps or work on improving the strikers finishing/composure via training so that they'll actually score the Clear Cut Chances that you get.

If anyone is posting asking for help then please be detailed and provide stats and lots of info. If not then you'll not get any help. It's okay claiming something and then not backing it up with facts and evidence but no-one will be able to help. If it's just a good old moan you are after then take it elsewhere, this thread is for people who are open minded to the fact that they don't understand the game as well as they think they might and is for those who want to learn. It's not somewhere for random people to just jump in and speak total bollocks.

In this thread we deal with facts and not theories/guess work.

A quick question: Is there a precedence in the relationship between team & player instructions and Shouts? Do Shouts take precedence over all other settings?

I.e. (PPMs) > Shouts > Player Settings > Team Instructions

While I'm being relatively successful in my current save this is more to do with my finances and my ability to outgun other teams through player signings. I'm finding it hard to make the team play how I want and am (still) struggling in getting my head around how the various instructions affect each other.

I'm trying to think of an example to give. Say I set the team instructions to more direct passing, then manually set a DLPs passing settings to Short (I know it's not advised to fiddle with slider settings, but hypothetically speaking) then employ the shout Get Ball Forward; which setting 'wins'? Or have I oversimplified things through my ignorance?

A quick question: Is there a precedence in the relationship between team & player instructions and Shouts? Do Shouts take precedence over all other settings?

I.e. (PPMs) > Shouts > Player Settings > Team Instructions

While I'm being relatively successful in my current save this is more to do with my finances and my ability to outgun other teams through player signings. I'm finding it hard to make the team play how I want and am (still) struggling in getting my head around how the various instructions affect each other.

I'm trying to think of an example to give. Say I set the team instructions to more direct passing, then manually set a DLPs passing settings to Short (I know it's not advised to fiddle with slider settings, but hypothetically speaking) then employ the shout Get Ball Forward; which setting 'wins'? Or have I oversimplified things through my ignorance?

Any manual slider changes you make will overwrite everything. So in your example above the shouts that modify the passing settings of the players wouldn't work for that particular player.

Hey guys, I havent posted on this thread for a while and I was asking some pretty dumb questions that where already answered in other peoples posts on here. I just want to say thanks for all the feedback I got, I have now managed to create my own tactic (first one ever) that actually gets me results!!! I have been trying and trying since I got the game months ago and I can finally say I have succeeded and I must admit, I now enjoy the game much more knowing I am winning games with a tactic I made.

Cleon I kind of pissed you off a few months ago with not reading this thread and others fully so apologies for that.

Hey guys, I havent posted on this thread for a while and I was asking some pretty dumb questions that where already answered in other peoples posts on here. I just want to say thanks for all the feedback I got, I have now managed to create my own tactic (first one ever) that actually gets me results!!! I have been trying and trying since I got the game months ago and I can finally say I have succeeded and I must admit, I now enjoy the game much more knowing I am winning games with a tactic I made.

Cleon I kind of pissed you off a few months ago with not reading this thread and others fully so apologies for that.

No need to apologise you didn't **** me off. I kept telling you to read the thread because it was for your own good :)

Glad you're having success now :)

Great thread Cleon its been a fab read and helped me out loads. Just one question tho, have you had any success with set pieces etc? I have just been knocked out the carling cup semi final by swansea from 2 deep free kick set pieces. They were both pumped into the box and both times one of there defenders was standing on the penalty spot by themselves and just tapped the ball in! The most frustrating part was it was a full back both times.

I have set my training focus to defensive set pieces but im not actually sure what this match prep option actually does in relation to this. I was so livid i had to quit the game and i shall be starting from scratch even tho i was in the knockout of the CL won the world club cup and super cup and was top of the league :(. I have ajusted my set pieces so i have every player back for set pieces i just wish it were possible to specify which players you would like your players to actually man mark from set plays rather than just man mark or mark tall player. I had both my centre halves to mark the tall players so to speak against arsenal which then led to one of my def midfielders marking vermarlin from arsenal who is not the tallest but has a good spring only one outcome there!

I watch all my games in full, sad i know but i like to get a feel of everything that goes on. I just really want to sort out my set pieces but i just find it very limited, even though i have good solid defenders in Terry and Branna in the air as well as good markers i always find myself conceding a lot of set piece goals

Do you think that perhaps in future releases will will get more control off set pieces defensively?

Great thread Cleon its been a fab read and helped me out loads. Just one question tho, have you had any success with set pieces etc? I have just been knocked out the carling cup semi final by swansea from 2 deep free kick set pieces. They were both pumped into the box and both times one of there defenders was standing on the penalty spot by themselves and just tapped the ball in! The most frustrating part was it was a full back both times.

I have set my training focus to defensive set pieces but im not actually sure what this match prep option actually does in relation to this. I was so livid i had to quit the game and i shall be starting from scratch even tho i was in the knockout of the CL won the world club cup and super cup and was top of the league :(. I have ajusted my set pieces so i have every player back for set pieces i just wish it were possible to specify which players you would like your players to actually man mark from set plays rather than just man mark or mark tall player. I had both my centre halves to mark the tall players so to speak against arsenal which then led to one of my def midfielders marking vermarlin from arsenal who is not the tallest but has a good spring only one outcome there!

I watch all my games in full, sad i know but i like to get a feel of everything that goes on. I just really want to sort out my set pieces but i just find it very limited, even though i have good solid defenders in Terry and Branna in the air as well as good markers i always find myself conceding a lot of set piece goals

Do you think that perhaps in future releases will will get more control off set pieces defensively?

In all honesty I can't remember what I did for set pieces as I've not played this game for a long time now. So off the top of my head I'm not sure, until I log back onto the game. I will let you know though if I changed anything. I've got a bad habit of leaving set pieces default though so I am really unsure if I touched them for this save or not :)

Sorry I couldn't be helpful :(

Well it only took about a week but I finally read the whole thread. Just would like to say wow. Great thread.

Also pleased with the way you guys handled the same questions being repeated by people too lazy to read. I know I wouldn't have answered the same way hahaha

I am doing quite well at the moment in my game with regards to scoring goals. Messi at Trequartista :p. However I am conceding goals quite a bit. It is not that my defense looks fragile, it is more ter Stegen lets stupid goals in when you would normally save them. Can language cause a problem for goalkeepers in a foreign team?, he is German and playing in a Spanish team.

I am doing quite well at the moment in my game with regards to scoring goals. Messi at Trequartista :p. However I am conceding goals quite a bit. It is not that my defense looks fragile, it is more ter Stegen lets stupid goals in when you would normally save them. Can language cause a problem for goalkeepers in a foreign team?, he is German and playing in a Spanish team.

Yes it can, your Assistant will tell you if hes having trouble communicating. Do this, Team overview > report > last match > team talk feedback and he'll tell you if someone is having communication problems.

Archived