• Last Reply

BLYTH SPARTANS A.F.C.

This is Sparta(ns)!

2013/14 - Blue Square Bet North

BlythSpartans.png

Club Information | Manager Profile | Confidence | Finances | Squad | Transfers

The League

League Table | Position Graph

Bit of a whirlwind season really. I really didn't expect to get top table, let alone playoffs and promotion. It went down to the wire for the playoffs, with it being decided on the last day when we beat Workington 3-1 and Guiseley lost to Solihull Moors 2-0. The playoffs however, that was a different matter. My good old friend Lady Luck returned for the semi finals.

Semi Final First Leg | Semi Final Second Leg

Joe Foley, who you'll read about later, was amazing in the first leg. He practically got us through on his own. We were stupidly lucky in the semi final, winning thanks to a 92nd minute own goal, which is a nice change after last year's last minute losses. We made it to the final to face Tamworth.

Playoff Final

Dominated the game. I'm shocked it 1-1 for the 90 minutes. Fortunately we won it in extra time and will spend next season in the Blue Square Premier!

The Cups

FA Cup Fixtures | FA Trophy Fixtures

Relatively poor showings in the cups this season. Hopefully we'll do better next year.

Key Players

Phil Airey | Robert Dale | Ben Greenhalgh

Three of the most important players for me. See the next section for Phil Airey. Robert Dale was instrumental in our attacking play, as was Ben Greenhalgh. I can't rate Greenhalgh highly enough. If you can get him, do so.

Awards

Fan's Player of the Season

Phil Airey

27 goals in 38 games is one way to get the fans on your side. Already a Blyth player when I took charge, he'd only scored 9 in 44 last season. Brilliant player and well deserving of both this award and the Blue Square Bet North Player of the Season.

Top Scorer

Phil Airey

See above.

Millward Player's Choice Award

Manager's Player of the Season

Joe Foley

He may have only played two games, but one of those games was in the first leg against Halifax, where he essentially won the tie for us.

Jordan Swinburn Award

Surprise of the Season

Getting Promoted

Didn't expect to even make the playoffs, let alone get promoted.

Aims For Next Season

Survive!

Survival is the big aim for next season, with good cup runs the side quest. Would quite like to get the squad boosted somewhat too.

Career Overview

Season          League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14         Blue Square North     5th               Promoted - Playoffs

BadgeKettering_Town.png

Kettering Town - Blue Square Bet North - 2013/14

The only way I can sum up our season would be consistantly inconsistant. We managed a comfortable 12th never threatened either the play-offs or relegation. We only lost 10 games all season but 20 draws was our downfall. I did change tactics around all season long as I cant seem to settle on a tactic.

League Table

Past Positions

Far too many draws. If we can turn some of those into wins we would be a massive threat in this league. Only winning 12 games all season was a massive dissapointment when you consider we had the 2nd top scorer in the league.

Cups - Banbury sent us packing in the FA Cup 4th Qual round 2-1. FA Trophy saw a 3-1 defeat to Tamworth in round 2.

Squad - I think its a very strong squad. If I can just settle on a tactic we should be able to compete up the higher end of the league next season.

Transfers - Plenty of movement and there will be the same this coming summer.

Finances- In debt. Pretty standard at this level. Need a cup run.

Key Player Profiles:

Paul Moran - Star striker, scored 34 in 42 also setting up 11. Only 17 years old. His contract expires in 1 year so I will be looking to tie him down to a long contract as soon as I can.

Jason Lampkin - Centre midfielder who scored 7 and set up 10.

Darren Cole - Player mainly as a right back. Likely to move him into centre back for next season.

Hopefully it was a good platform to build on. Look forward to pre-season to work on a tactic I will use for the entire season.

Career Overview

2013/14         Blue Square North     12th               

Right, 10 odd years of lurking is enough. I am the new manager of Lowestoft Town, before I post again I will attempt to learn how to put pictures up!

Alt+F9 in game, screenshots folder in the FM documents folder, upload it to somewhere like imgur, link it here ;)

Bury Town - Blue Square North - Season 2013/14

A good finish in my first season as we managed to finish in a nice mid-table place with 58 points. At times we could've threatened the play-offs but inconsistency in results put paid to that and we were sure to finish in a respectable place that made the board more than happy. One of our biggest problems was finding the right tactic and settling the players in as at the start we had players playing all the over the park but once we switched to a 4-4-2 and made it simpler we played better. We enjoyed a good cup run or two in the FA Cup (Where we ousted by Gillingham in the 1st round Replay) and the Third Round of the FA Trophy against Braintree.

League Table

Squad - A squad that could do with some strengthening in some places and some more technical players wouldn't be bad.

Fixtures 1 Fixtures 2

Finances

Transfers - More ins than outs but that's probably to be expected at this level if I'm honest. Some players were very astute signings who I'll be having contract talks with depending on my new budgets.

Key Players:

David Hume - Hume was at the club when I arrived and he was the best of the lot still at the club. Originally I told him I didn't have a use for him but as I didn't have enough players for the first league game I drafted him in and he didn't dissapoint with a great goal return. He's signed a new contract for a year and I hope he can extend his feats next year.

Sam Smith - The first loanee at our club and whilst he came in the January transfer window he's someone who had a big impact seeing us through a fair bit of congestion and scoring a nice tally that will make me think about signing him permanently if his parent club, Cambridge, don't resign him.

Tim Sandercombe - Every club needs a strong set of hands between the nets and we had Tim. He saved us on more than one occasion and was a real asset to the club. I hope he can be our starting keeper for a few years whilst we try and improve our side.

Career Overview

2013/14         Blue Square North     11th              1st round FA Cup

I'm in again. I completed this with Kingstonian last year, so I've plumped for them again (as local teams East Thurrock and Concord Rangers didn't come up in 4 hours, someone already has Canvey and I don't like Thurrock).

Onwards and upwards...... Ehren James takes charge at The Fans' Stadium

I was hoping to get either Canvey or Concord as well as they're local. Had to settle for Bury Town in the end.

I've finally made some progress with my tactics for FM13 after an inconsistent start. My 4-3-3 from previous years had become virtually useless, conceding far too many and having no control of the game. But adapting it to a 4-1-4-1 seems to have solidified the team considerably.

I've really struggled with sticking to a tactic. I've decided to play a 4-4-1-1 Hopefully this will stick.

From what i've noticed so far packing the midfield and using the wings (with wide mids more than attacking mids) seems to be important. Looks like 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-1-1 are going to be popular for FM13.

Archived