League 1 Thread - 2012/13

G-Man11

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just realised we've now only got 1 CB with the club possibly not coming out of embargo before September. That could be a problem:D

Yeah Fleck was in and out of the side all season. He's got undoubted talent and technically is probably one of the best players in the league but we just couldn't find the right position to play him and he never really produced much. He's finally settled in a Pirlo role but he's an utter liability from a defensive stand-point in that role, his best attribute is his crossing ability but he's way too slow to be effective on the wing. He's just one of those guys who will always be hindered by his complete lack of physical ability. He also needs to sort out his decision making and consistency.

I expect him to be a key player next season though.

Sounds good, I remember watching one of your JPT games on Sky, and he was very quiet and seemed to vanish off the ball.

But when he had/was given the ball he was making some good touches/passes.

Ipswich already snapped up Tranmere's leftback didn't they :D or have they got another good left back since?

Aaaron Cresswell I'm thinking of.

Zoumana Bakayogo is the player I'm thinking of. He's represented by McHale sports and one of the agents from them who used to have some decent information on Forest has said in a SSN article that he's gone away with his family to weigh up offers from League One, Championship and possibly other clubs as he will probably be leaving Tranmere.

Yeah I don't think he was ever going to be much as a attacking mid or winger, which was his problem. He looks a lot better as a DM where he get's a ton of time on the ball and can pick out his passes (aka Pirlo). As I said he's a defensive liability though, his attempts at tackling are laughable.

Tranmere have confirmed releases on the following David Amoo, Paul Black, Danny Harrison, Michael Kay and Adam McGurk have not been offered new contracts and are available to sign for other clubs.

Any of them any good ? Adam McGurk was decent in my time at Tranmere on the fmo but assume he was pretty good for them irl as well as he'd made 20 odd appearances upto Feb when they were top of the league.

Warning: May contain sour grapes

He's not wrong in anything he said though. It's not sour grapes - just the truth. You came for the point, offered nothing, time wasted from minute one and got lucky with the win. No real issue with that as I would hope we would have done the same if we only needed a point

Love how we failed to do the double of any of the bottom 5 yet did the double over both of the top 2. We really blew this season even with the 10 point penalty.

From the Crewe away game, we were effectively a midtable side with our performances etc.. We're looking like we're going to keep the majority of the squad (minus Jed :( ), so we should be relatively competitive next season.

He's not wrong in anything he said though. It's not sour grapes - just the truth. You came for the point, offered nothing, time wasted from minute one and got lucky with the win. No real issue with that as I would hope we would have done the same if we only needed a point

He makes us out to be the Antichrist of football saying strong stuff like "Wimbledon-esque", "pre-historic hoofers", " little thought given to skill level" and "the 'good guy' doesn't always win". Those comments are an insult and I absolutely take exception to them. While we may not be free-flowing a lot of the time, what he's said there is completely over the top, exaggerated bollocks and smacks of bitterness. You don't win the league if you can't play a bit of football or possess no skill. And if you can then what does that say about the 23 teams that finished below us?

Yes we tried to run the clock down for this one game because the players knew that we only needed a draw. So what? As has been said, anyone else would have done the same. And it's not like we've employed excessive gamesmanship tactics throughout the season either. What we did on Saturday was no more than what I've seen many teams come to the Keepmoat and do this season to try and get a point. An easy link to make though isn't it, a nasty physical team employing gamesmanship tactics (in one crucial game)? It makes for a great story of injustice in the paper. When we won at Wembley in 2008 vs Leeds we defended and time wasted from 50 minutes onward after we scored, no one said anything though because we had a reputation for "playing good football" then. That made it a bit more difficult to paint the picture of the ultimate villain.

It's funny how he bigs up Brentford to be some sort of brilliant, pure footballing team who created loads of chances on Saturday. While they may have played good football this season I must have watched a different game to him because Brentford spent most of the game themselves hoisting hopeful direct passes to Donaldson and co. And funnily enough the two scoring chances that they had, hitting the post and of course the penalty, came from said hoofball tactic. They needed three points and offered nothing but a few spells of pressure. They didn't deserve to win (or lose). If Brentford had taken their chance in the last minute then I'd have a case for calling them "lucky" too.

And finally his comment "You either spend your time moaning about how life isn't fair or you dust yourself off and go again". Looks like he spent his Monday writing a bitter article about how life isn't fair to me.

You seem to be taking it very personally there mate. I still maintain that nothing he has said in that is false. You did spend the game hoofing it forward. You did spend it time wasting. Point out where he said you've played like that all season?

You say yourself that it makes for a good story of "injustice" - the shock of that in a newspaper of all places eh? So because you did the same thing 5 years ago but didn't get slammed for it then it's OK to spend the entire 90 mins wasting time this time? (Again, not blaming your boys for it, a stronger ref would have clamped down on it sooner) but surely you can understand the frustration?

Again - he doesn't "big up Brentford as a brilliant, pure footballing team" he states that we found it hard to break you down (true) but that we managed to create some chances (also true) yes the BWP chance off the post was from a Donaldson flick on from a goal kick, and is it really a surprise that the pen came from a long punt up field in the 94th min of a game we needed a goal in? We have earned a reputation this season of being a footballing team (many fans have said we're the best team they've played this season) but sadly in the run in our main creative players (Forshaw and Forrester) have been injured and/or lost form so we have (sadly IMO) to launch long balls and become more direct

And as for your dig in the last line - is it really a surprise that he might still be upset about what happened to his team on Saturday?

You have a rep as a footballing team? I've only seen Brentford twice this season (both games against us) but you were incredibly direct in both games. Especially the one at the Ricoh, just seemed to spend the entire game chucking it down the channels for Donaldson. Which tbf was causing us all sorts of problems.

Patrick Agyemang agreed a deal to be with us next season :)

Therry Racon very close as well

Marlon Pack rumoured to want to come home :D

Haha I actually asked Jordan Cross the question about Marlon Pack as his contract is up in the summer, he was supposed to go to Swindon before the embargo. He's been ever present in the Cheltenham team and in the team of the year twice :thup:

If we just lost Jed and get Marlon, I wouldn't be too fussed, but I'm not accepting 80k that is ****ing disgusting. The guy is going to be a really good Championship player.

That was one of the reasons I wanted SOD to manage us' date=' they were fantastic when they beat us at FP in the Championship.[/quote']

Yeah same here. I'd love to have Sean O'Driscoll with us, I'd swap him for Dyche in a heartbeat.

We definitely should have appointed SoD instead of Brian Laws back when we were in the Premier League, regardless of the compensation Doncaster were holding out for. (that decision cost us a hell of alot more)

You have a rep as a footballing team? I've only seen Brentford twice this season (both games against us) but you were incredibly direct in both games. Especially the one at the Ricoh, just seemed to spend the entire game chucking it down the channels for Donaldson. Which tbf was causing us all sorts of problems.

To be fair to Brentford, when we played them they didn't do much expect pick the ball out of the back of the net six times. They were quite good at that. :D

We have offered new deals to Aan Sheean, Jeff Hughes, Yoann Arquin, Joss Labadie, Haydn Hollis, Curtis Thompson, Tyrell Waite and Greg Tempest.

Released Julian Kelly, Hamza Bencherif, Liam Mitchell and Jake Wholey. Alan Judge is moving on.

We also seem to be negotiating with Gavin Mahon for some reason. Very odd considering he hardly ever plays and was shipped out to Stevanage on loan. That leaves Krystian Pearce who we are probably asking to take a wage cut to stay with us. Not to bothered if he goes as we have more than a few good centre backs.

Orient's released list was fairly ambitious/ruthless in my opinion. I think we could have kept pretty much everyone and been left with a solid squad again, but I can't fault the club for trying to improve.

We've resigned Cuthbert and Omozusi and offered contracts to Vincelot and Mooney. I really hope Vincelot can be kept, Mooney I think is very fortunate as most of his goals this year came in JPT/FA Cup games against lesser opposition.

Released were Lee Butcher, Lee Cook, Martin Rowlands, Charlie McDonald, Jimmy Smith and Leon McSweeney. From a human perspective it's a bit harsh on Butcher as he was in outstanding form 15 months ago, then blew his knee out hasn't played since and is now unemployed. It might also be better use of the salary cap to dump a 19-20 year-old on the bench who won't count against the cap as opposed to Butcher. McSweeney was 1 game away from an automatic renewal so again that appears to be a bit harsh. Cook and Rowlands are still quality players at this level, but are probably on good money and struggle to play 90 minutes twice a week. Smith I'm not fussed about as although he's reasonably talented he's never had the motor to influence a game for 90 minutes.

The cap is going down from 65% to 60% isn't it? Probably means most clubs need to cut the wage bill.

Our chairman has said our budget will be cut by 30% for next season. Think some out of contract players on big league 1 wages are going to struggle to find a better deal in the summer.

Plus attendances are down nationwide, so not only is the % of revenue allowed going down the revenue itself is significantly less anyway. The players we signed later in the Summer last year were significantly better than those we signed earlier (Symes, Griffith, Sawyer) so it might well be best to wait it out.

Does anyone actually know how they calculate the revenue figure for the cap? Do they just use last year's accounts? Or is it some sort of agreed projected revenue? What happens if you didn't submit any accounts the previous yeah? What about if you have a significant upturn in revenue from the previous season?

A few weeks ago all the Stewards were asked if they would be willing to travel up to 30 miles for home games next season (which I've led to believe is the furthest you are allowed to play away from your catchment area). The next biggest stadium in Coventry is for the Rugby club and as a former regular for their games I can say it's not even fit for Conference standard. So yeah it would almost certainly be somewhere quite a way from Cov.

None of that really matters till we sort out Admin and who owns the club though.

I'm pretty certain if we end up with a takeover then the new guys will be able to get a far better deal over the stadium (if not ideal), most of the ACL/SISU stuff is pretty much just spite now.

We're not bad, but you should know that considering your best players couldn't get into our team ;)

Actually that's us.

I'm almost certain you'll be signing Cody in the summer Wigmore. Will be interesting to see what he can do at this level at a team that actually values him.

Archived