Team Talks: the only 3 choices you need :)

By all accounts team talks and player reaction is very important but the whole team talk feature is way too random.

I just used assertive last option at the start of my match and most reacted positively (if being relaxed is positive!). I was 3-0 up so I used passionate last option, the team were delighted and we conceded three goals and drew 3-3. So, I used aggressive last option and they were motivated. It doesn't seem realistic to me.

Is getting any green reaction preferable to nothing at all? If it is then I feel rather like I'm jumping through hoops and applying one size fits all team talks just to get a reaction. It just doesn't feel right. Others on the forum say that assistant manager team talks are rubbish but I feel like I'm playing morale lottery everytime there's a match so I might resort to that.

i agree with you in that it seems like a lottery sometimes but persist and i am sure you will have success more than failure, that might just have been one of those games that seem to crop up a lot in FM12 so maybe keep going and see if it happens again maybe?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's reassuring - I was just concerned that a positive reaction of any kind gave you some sort of advantage. I wanted to know that I could give the talk I want, get no reaction and still have just the same chance of performing as I had if they were all green because I was aggressive.

You can't always assume that result/performance was down to a teamtalk. A teamtalk is just one of many factors that determine player performance.

So what causes the excessive shots number compared to the A.I.? It has been in th game for years. The game makes the player's team miss easy chances in order to keep scores realistic as far as I can tell (no other explanation exists, feel free to correct me though).

Is that tied to the team talks or not?

• SI Staff
So what causes the excessive shots number compared to the A.I.? It has been in th game for years. The game makes the player's team miss easy chances in order to keep scores realistic as far as I can tell (no other explanation exists, feel free to correct me though).

Is that tied to the team talks or not?

I don't know as your theory is 100% wrong.

In terms of shot counts....it *is* your tactics ;-)

well guys an update on my Rotherham game i ended up 2nd in NLeague1 4 points behind Sheffield Wednesday and got automatic promotion, YIPPEE!!!!! Used the team talks all year as in original post and all stayed good morale was top notch throughout season and when compared to the other teams in the league from 1st to bottom my morale was extremely superior to them all even Sheffield Wednesday had fewer players in the superb to Very good morale range then me and they even had 1/2 there team in yellow morale or worse where my team i only had 2 out of 31 players who were okay morale the rest were mostly good to superb morale.

As you remember i was supposed to finish 17th this year but i have finished up 2nd an impressive achievment i would say and confirms for me at least that morale has a huge part to play in this game more so than anything else i think.

Hope everyone had a great x-mas and hope you all have a happy new year too ... cheers, mike :)

i wouldn't say i am pretty good at the game my tactics are nothing special i use default instructions with my formations ie: balanced & standard etc... i think i have managed to keep morale up pretty good so far with my team talks and all seems good at this stage will post more about my next season at halfway mark and let guys know how i am going then.

cheers,

mike

Aggressive team talk doesn't really work for me.

-Cautious > Unhappy- is the best to use in situations where you are down, tied, or lost; the next match after aggressive teamtalk is abysmal

You only really need "Passionate" and "Cautious" anyway.

KO:

-Cautious > Expect a win- is the best against teams at home and lower teams away

-Cautious > No pressure- is the best if you are a far weaker team

-Passionate > For the fans- is for general matches where you have nothing specific to say

Half time:

-Cautious > Unhappy- when tied or losing, even if you are tied against a bigger team, this really motivates them

-Cautious > Happy- best if you are +1 goal up

-Caitous > Show me something else- Also a good one, only if you're losing

FT:

-Cautious > Well Done- Best one if you won any match, or tied against a hard team

-Cautious > Unhappy- If you lost or drawn with a weaker team;or narrow loss, poor performance

I found that aggressive team talks never work. Another thing I found is that "keep your concentration" or "don't get complacent" actually leads to just that, MASSIVE complacency. Have never tried Reluctant or Calm tones.

It's rather apparent that what's a good team talk for one player is bad for another, due to the almost infinite number of factors influencing a save game. So it's impossible to give any reasonable tips.

For example, I recently won 3-1 away against an inferior team, but I was very unhappy with what I saw, so I used Aggressive: "I'm far from happy with what I saw from this team". I got the "Drum slams team" news report after the match, about how I kept the players locked in after we WON. And they all had positive reactions, mostly fired up. To win the match I had to go into massive Overload mode to score two late goals against a junk team, it was 1-1 until 85th minute.

I also use "Don't get complacent" to good effect if we hold just a narrow lead. Pretty much anything I say has either a positive effect or no effect, maybe because I out-rep most of my players. That doesn't mean my players go out and play great football, but teamtalks aren't the problem. I actually have no idea why we're just scraping draws and narrow wins against bad teams at the moment, when we have good morale and better players and a proven tactics + good teamtalks... I don't understand much of this game.

Aggressive team talks are apparently successful in terms of getting a 'good' green reaction but I don't like using them. I'm also not comfortable with being unhappy when drawing, particularly against a better team.

Consequently, I've gone for a much more nicey nicey approach and the morale and performances have improved. I encourage whenever possible, tell them they've been unlucky if they lost but performed well and say well done for a victory regardless of performance or opposition.

As Fredric says, there are no hard and fast rules to team talks but, despite evident success, I will be avoiding aggression as much as I can.

Hello players.

Look at your league position.

Look at your predicted position.

Now back to the position.

Now back to the prediction.

Sadly, they're not the same, but if you stopped using plug n play teamtalks and adapted them to your situation, they could look the same.

Look at your squad personalities, look at the match odds, where are you?

You're in a team talk with the options you need right there.

What's in your brain, back to this thread.

This has it, it's some posts that have good advice in them.

Look again, the posts now make sense.

Anything is possible when you get team talks right.

I'm on a horse.

i believe totally it is the right way to go with team talks in my Original Post at least for me it is and i can understand your hesitation in aggressive team talks for draws and honourable losses but for me i let them know with aggressive team talks that i expect them to win regardless of opposition and to me there is no honourable loss for my team i drive them onwards with my expectations and it seems to work i have knocked out man utd and chelsea as well as Man city in cup games with my approach as Rotherham with only freebies and my own tactic which is nothing special but it seems to work wonders for my Rotherham side and i am now looking forward to my new season in the championship league and hopefully win promotion so i can progress to the premier league my board have just anounced stadium expansion of 12,200 seats which will take me up to 28,000 seats approx.

at last i should be able to get some money together and buy a couple of players this season looks to be really exciting.

I tried this out with my struggling team and I did get reactions from the players but I just don't think the pre-match works. It tends to put the players on a 'relaxed' footing whcih may be useful if you are always the underdogs, but for me it was disasterous causing the team to average about 6 at half time and 3 goals down, on successive ocassions!

• SI Staff
I tried this out with my struggling team and I did get reactions from the players but I just don't think the pre-match works. It tends to put the players on a 'relaxed' footing whcih may be useful if you are always the underdogs, but for me it was disasterous causing the team to average about 6 at half time and 3 goals down, on successive ocassions!

But how can you be sure that was the true cause? There are loads of variables at play in the ME....not just team talks.

In my experience, relaxed players don't play to the best of their ability. Players getting the "looked fired up" or "looked motivated" as team talk feedback start out well but handle goals in very unpredictable ways. A fired up player may lose focus entirely if you go under a goal, and he can become uninterested or overconfident if his team scores. The OP presumes that green = good but that is simply not the case when the whole match is taken under account, not just the first ten minutes of each half (which is what the team talks affect, for the most part).

Until proven otherwise I stick to avoiding nervousness and complacency as the optimal strategy.

In my experience, relaxed players don't play to the best of their ability. Players getting the "looked fired up" or "looked motivated" as team talk feedback start out well but handle goals in very unpredictable ways. A fired up player may lose focus entirely if you go under a goal, and he can become uninterested or overconfident if his team scores. The OP presumes that green = good but that is simply not the case when the whole match is taken under account, not just the first ten minutes of each half (which is what the team talks affect, for the most part).

Until proven otherwise I stick to avoiding nervousness and complacency as the optimal strategy.

You're reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into teamtalks and drawing conclusions you have no basis for.

Of course green is always good, but it's never a guarantee to win, and of course red is bad, but you can still give your opponent a sound beating. It's just onen little factor. You can have people with red reactions during half time, but still "Looking motivated" on the pitch in the second half. It just means they had their motivation adjusted down a little, but no big deal.

3 rules for team talks that have been in place since FM07.

Pre match - Calm players down and relax them. Either wish luck or tell them result not important.

Half time - Inspire players. Depending on HT score, if winning say pleased, if drawing or losing but on top chances wise commisserate, if drawing but outplayed or losing then have a bit of a pop at them.

Full time - Praise players, if lost say unlucky but pleased, if drawn say pleased and if won praise to the hilt, no matter whom you were playing.

The HT team talk is the trickiest imo, get this right and you can rescue many games. The pre game and FT ones are easy.

I'm convinced the trick to this game is gettting morale high and then keeping it there. Always has been. Should rename the game Morale Manager 2012.

i still think SI have got a good game and cant really see any major problems with the game myself personally every game has trouble getting the game play balance right but i think SI have got it pretty good not perfect but not bad either i would say just about right myself, it is not easy to please everyone all the time but as long as the game is enjoyable and gets it right more times than not i am happy.

It still has taken me 6 seasons to get from npower league 2 to championship league so i think the balance is ok. I have had to scour the transfer market for good solid players for free most of the time but still have managed to do pretty well so far.

You're reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into teamtalks and drawing conclusions you have no basis for.

Of course green is always good, but it's never a guarantee to win, and of course red is bad, but you can still give your opponent a sound beating. It's just onen little factor. You can have people with red reactions during half time, but still "Looking motivated" on the pitch in the second half. It just means they had their motivation adjusted down a little, but no big deal.

The short version: we are not disagreeing,

I tried these team talks for a few matches and they do not work for a big team like Man Utd. Telling my team to enjoy themselves before a game when they are huge favourites makes them too relaxed it would seem and they become complacent very quickly.

You are wrong of course. It's been in the game from the days of CM2 when I started. It's a question of tactics. There are threads on this all the time.

You are wrong of course. It's been in the game from the days of CM2 when I started. It's a question of tactics. There are threads on this all the time.

answer is in these two questions: what's got tactic to do when player is one on one with keeper? and how many times you see clear cut chance which isn't recognised as such by ME/stats feature?

there is already problem with every other striker scoring a goal per game, imagine a situation if all those chances were converted into goals..

Hello players.

Sadly, they're not the same, but if you stopped using plug n play teamtalks and adapted them to your situation, they could look the same.

I'm on a horse.

This post is now diamonds.

I don't know as your theory is 100% wrong.

In terms of shot counts....it *is* your tactics ;-)

Thanks for the answer. Can you be a bit more clear?

Is it a tactics issue when I'm having more and better chances than the A.I. in each game, yet my top class players keep missing them, when the same kind of chances but less in number are being converted by the A.I.?

Should the conversion rate be a tactics issue? I'm having more and better chances than the A.I., so that must mean that my tactic is working?

Besides, the game's tools tell me that I'm playing significantly better. Shouldn't that results in -generally- more wins?

Thanks for the answer. Can you be a bit more clear?

Is it a tactics issue when I'm having more and better chances than the A.I. in each game, yet my top class players keep missing them, when the same kind of chances but less in number are being converted by the A.I.?

Should the conversion rate be a tactics issue? I'm having more and better chances than the A.I., so that must mean that my tactic is working?

Besides, the game's tools tell me that I'm playing significantly better. Shouldn't that results in -generally- more wins?

I agree with you that it shouldn't be like this, but it is. If you create 20 or more shots in a match, the conversion rate is going to go down no matter how big the chances are. The animations fail to show you what is actually happening, and that is that chances are rushed, strikers are stressed or lacking in confidence. If you repeatedly hit that quagmire of missed chances every game, this means that you have hit exactly that spot where the game is punishing you for what the developers deem exploitative according to the weaknesses of defending AI. You of course WANT to blame the game, and you have the right to do so, but if you want to convert your chances you will have to change the tactics.

Aim at 8-15 shots per game, at least half of them at goal. Since your team sounds like it is very good, the opponents will just cram all 10 guys in front of goal and hope for the best. You need to take your time and play with a slow tempo and less attacking mentalities. Avoid shooting from distance; this will help slowing the football down so that your attackers can find space, and you don't feed their keeper boosting his confidence with lots of shots from distance that will end in a goal 1/100 or less.

Edit: also, more related to the topic, I have the most success trying to avoid complacency and nervousness rather than attempting to achieve morale boosts. You don't need fired up players to win matches, and in my experience when team talks are successful in terms of players looking motivated or fired up, they tend to lose patience more quickly. I regularly have opponents pressing me the first 10-20 minutes, before they become nervous, lose discipline and confidence and I eventually take over and win.

I agree with you that it shouldn't be like this, but it is. If you create 20 or more shots in a match, the conversion rate is going to go down no matter how big the chances are. The animations fail to show you what is actually happening, and that is that chances are rushed, strikers are stressed or lacking in confidence. If you repeatedly hit that quagmire of missed chances every game, this means that you have hit exactly that spot where the game is punishing you for what the developers deem exploitative according to the weaknesses of defending AI. You of course WANT to blame the game, and you have the right to do so, but if you want to convert your chances you will have to change the tactics.

Aim at 8-15 shots per game, at least half of them at goal. Since your team sounds like it is very good, the opponents will just cram all 10 guys in front of goal and hope for the best. You need to take your time and play with a slow tempo and less attacking mentalities. Avoid shooting from distance; this will help slowing the football down so that your attackers can find space, and you don't feed their keeper boosting his confidence with lots of shots from distance that will end in a goal 1/100 or less.

Edit: also, more related to the topic, I have the most success trying to avoid complacency and nervousness rather than attempting to achieve morale boosts. You don't need fired up players to win matches, and in my experience when team talks are successful in terms of players looking motivated or fired up, they tend to lose patience more quickly. I regularly have opponents pressing me the first 10-20 minutes, before they become nervous, lose discipline and confidence and I eventually take over and win.

I don't think I was clear enough. My team is not very good, I'm Malaga, which is an ok team with some great potential.

Secondly, how do you mean "manage" my shots? Do you imply I should create a tactic that produces less chances? Because that is absurd. Besides, it's crazy to think that the match engine doesn't properly show what's going on. I can understand that it can't produce the fine details, but when a striker has a 1 on 1 it's pretty clear in the match engine. No striker in the world can have so many chances chances in consecutive games and still fail to convert. It can happen, but no where near enough as it happens here.

The strange thing is that PaulC stated that I'm 100% wrong. How can he say I'm wrong when the game's tools tell me that my team is playing good football and I have more and better chances than my opponent? Where do I need to look? Are these info-tools even available to end users like us?

To clarify: I'm not complaining about me not winning. I'm doing fine generally and even if I wasn't it wouldn't mean much to me, it's just a game. Since I'm interested though in game design I would just like to know how some things are being carried out in this game, generally speaking of course.

I don't think I was clear enough. My team is not very good, I'm Malaga, which is an ok team with some great potential.

Secondly, how do you mean "manage" my shots? Do you imply I should create a tactic that produces less chances? Because that is absurd. Besides, it's crazy to think that the match engine doesn't properly show what's going on. I can understand that it can't produce the fine details, but when a striker has a 1 on 1 it's pretty clear in the match engine. No striker in the world can have so many chances chances in consecutive games and still fail to convert. It can happen, but no where near enough as it happens here.

The strange thing is that PaulC stated that I'm 100% wrong. How can he say I'm wrong when the game's tools tell me that my team is playing good football and I have more and better chances than my opponent? Where do I need to look? Are these info-tools even available to end users like us?

To clarify: I'm not complaining about me not winning. I'm doing fine generally and even if I wasn't it wouldn't mean much to me, it's just a game. Since I'm interested though in game design I would just like to know how some things are being carried out in this game, generally speaking of course.

Ok to clarify my point too:

One-on-one chances are simply CRAP in this game. Gettit? Don't rely on them to win. The defensive programming is not including team defending, so once a player dribbles past one defender (or there is a through ball into space) he is through on goal like 10 times a match. The score would be 10-8 and stuff like that if SI didn't nerf those situations. The current ME cannot be fixed on this issue and it has been that way for years. The only thing you need to do to create those chances is to have fast attackers and a couple of creative midfielders.

So yes, tweak your tactic to create less chances (that is, high-possession patient football) - a variety of types of chances is necessary: crosses, through balls, counter attacks, dead-ball situations... you need them all. A tactic that creates only one type of chances (typically 1-on-1's from a through ball in the centre) will do great most matches but suddenly it doesn't. That's when you encounter a team that is able to counter your strategy or when the strikers for some reason doesn't score on their first 4-5 chances (or both).

To TSH,

like BiggusD says, slow tempo, patient passing around with less long shots will produce less shots at goal but at the same time those "less amount" of shots will be better quality shots than banging willy nilly away, there is nothing wrong with a high amount of shots at goal it is just your strikers have more time to have a high quality shot than smashing it at goal all the time.

i would suggest using your tactic and taking long shots off all your players and try high amount of through balls with all your players, this way they will work the ball into high quality shots on goal, maybe not as many as before but that will be due to a significantly lower long shots tally and higher quality shots at goal instead.

so for every player no long shots reduce their long shots as much as possible, and put through balls on as high as possible for every player. try that and see how you go, they are the only 2 things i would change with your tactic if i were you. hope it helps and let me know ok how it goes would be interested to see how things go after my 2 suggestions.

Cheers,

mike

I just want to respond to the poster who said that relax doesn't mean good. Yes, if it is green it does mean good. I just had a pre season friendly and I told them they could play without pressure.

pachucavliverpoolliverp.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see the ones who were relaxed had in green except for one who was overly relaxed and it wasn't green.

Ok to clarify my point too:

One-on-one chances are simply CRAP in this game. Gettit? Don't rely on them to win. The defensive programming is not including team defending, so once a player dribbles past one defender (or there is a through ball into space) he is through on goal like 10 times a match. The score would be 10-8 and stuff like that if SI didn't nerf those situations. The current ME cannot be fixed on this issue and it has been that way for years. The only thing you need to do to create those chances is to have fast attackers and a couple of creative midfielders.

I agree with you but PaulC said this is 100% wrong. There is no artificial nerfing going on.

Also, the suggestion to play a slower tempo with more patient passing is not really an answer because it means the game is broken. I don't want my team to play slow tempo with patient passing. Besides, my team isn't capable of doing so.

Sorry for the off topic, please respond to me in private if you'd like to continue the discussion.

have started a new save game as man utd and my observations hold true as far as i can see am doing brilliantly in the morale department had no bad morale problems or complaints from players all is going well, won't bother to mention how i am going in the league as being "Man Utd" is enough said on that side am top as you would expect on that side of things this is just to tell you that i have had no adverse affects using my team talks and players are responding well.

Cheers,

mike

Hi guys,

in the last FM11 game i finally did the team talks myself and worked out a system based on scoreline of which talk to give and got positive results back everytime so i was wandering to myself how would i go with the new tone system in team talks and i have worked out you only need to use 3 tones during the match.

Pre game team talk : choose the "ASSERTIVE" tone and choose the last option always get positive feedback mostly green if not all by players.

Half-time talk: this is based on how the score is if you are drawing or behind you give "AGGRESIVE" tone and choose the last option always get positive feedback from players mostly green if not all by players. if we are winning you give "PASSIONATE" tone and choose the last option always get positive feedback from players mostly green if not all by players.

Full time: once again based on scoreline if Drawn or behind you give "AGGRESIVE" tone and choose the last option always get positive feedback from players mostly green if not all by players, if we win you give "PASSIONATE" tone and choose the last option always get positive feedback from players mostly green if not all by players.

with these team talks my players morale improves and they all are revved up for the whole year and my performances are great by the team morale is always in the green if not superb for most of the side.

have tested with a wide range of teams and currently using my system for Rotherham and i am leading the league by 1 pt halfway through the season even though i am 1.4million in debt and can only get free players to sign as no transfer money, currently in Npower league 1 at the moment.

hope these work for you guys if you decide to have a go with them.

cheers,

mike

What patch??

Doesnt work for recent patch :(

I hope someone has new suggestions, my team talks are killing moral. Atm i rather say nothing, no matter what i say it either has no effect or some1 reacts negatively.

That's odd, I only started following this advice following the 12.1.1 patch and it works every time. What is your rep compared to your club and players?

Hello players.

I'm on a horse.

:applause:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a problem with players being "uninterested" in games. Sometimes couple of them, sometimes half of a team.

I use either passionate encouraging team talk (i.e. show me what you can do!) or with weaker opponents I have used "I expect a win". It seems whatever I do, some players still look uninterested in motivation window.

Now, I'm not completely sure it depends on team talks. It may be that they're uninterested because it's just a pre-season friendly or because I'm a new manager with lower reputation than they expect. My team talks usually doesn't seem to give any reaction, neither green or red. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a problem with players being "uninterested" in games. Sometimes couple of them, sometimes half of a team.

I use either passionate encouraging team talk (i.e. show me what you can do!) or with weaker opponents I have used "I expect a win". It seems whatever I do, some players still look uninterested in motivation window.

Now, I'm not completely sure it depends on team talks. It may be that they're uninterested because it's just a pre-season friendly or because I'm a new manager with lower reputation than they expect. My team talks usually doesn't seem to give any reaction, neither green or red. Any advice would be appreciated.

It is your reputation. Nothing you can do about it until you win stuff.

It is your reputation. Nothing you can do about it until you win stuff.

I agree. Seven years in with 6 top 10 Premier League finishes with West Ham and still half my squad doesn't has the motivation to play for me!!. As for my midfielder Anderson whatever you say he loses focus. It does make me laugh though because if there were certain team talks that worked every time then surely they would be considered an exploit!!!!

Archived