From the terraces to the top...hopefully!

Raware

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The club goes into the hands of the thousands of Coalville fans according to the news item.

That with an average of 740.

I'm just happy with an average of 740! :D

Good luck for the coming season. I think you made the right decision not to join Hartlepool - it's a grim place.

Thanks :thup:. I too think it was the right decision to turn down the Hartlepool offer no matter what Jeff says! :D.

A solid first season in the BSBP,hope you can improve on your 13th place finish and maybe have a good cup run along the way.

Cheers. I'm hoping for a similar cup run to the one we had in my first season where we reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup to help our finances. But we've not had much luck in the cups the past few seasons.

Up the Ravens!

Raware's black and white army!!! :D

Thanks City2000. Marlon Broomes has been excellent for us over the past few years but has started to show his age is catching him up this season as he got caught out a few times. I think he's done well though to carry on playing till 37. I'm feeling it when I play now and I'm 31!

I'm lucky, i'll turn 31 soon but i'm a keeper so i've got years left in me yet :D

Good luck for the year ahead!

Wiganrumour.png

As the season gets into full swing now, the rumour mill has started with myself being linked to the vacant Wigan Athletic job. While they’re struggling in the Premiership and look very likely to be relegated and while at this stage it’s only a rumour, should an offer be made I’m not sure what I’d do.

For me it would depend on whether or not I was enjoying it at Coalville still, if you are starting to think about moving on then it may be best to do so. I do agree with the lads above though and think it would be a much more rewarding challenge to get Coalville into the Football League.

It depends on what you want from the save really - Wigan could be a good chance to jump up a few leagues, but, if you are like me and relish the prospect of taking a small team and leading hem to success, Id say stick with them!
Probably not with them bottom.
Breaking into the Football League with Coalville seems like a much more exciting challenge than getting Wigan back to the Premier Division...
For me it would depend on whether or not I was enjoying it at Coalville still, if you are starting to think about moving on then it may be best to do so. I do agree with the lads above though and think it would be a much more rewarding challenge to get Coalville into the Football League.

Thanks for the thoughts lads :thup:. I think I agree with you all in that it'll be a lot more rewarding trying to get Coalville into the Football League especially after taking them so far already. I didn't really matter anyway as it was only a rumour in the end and no offer was made for me. Former Middlebrough striker Lee Dong-Gook was the man they gave the job to.

However, this rumour has just been banded around...

Dundeerumour.png

...closely followed by this...

Dundeeoffer.png

I've asked to delay the decision for a week.

As for this one, I think it should be an easy decision - stay!
I would turn that one down myself, I think there are better jobs waiting for you out there.
I wouldn't go back to Dundee, not matter how much they paid me :D
Turn it down. Easy decision. :p

Thanks for the advice fellas :thup:. I did actually contemplate accepting...for a second :D. I would like a stint in Scotland at some stage though I think.

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2015/16 : Mid-season update

Blue Square Bet Premier : It’s been a lot more of an enjoyable experience so far for us this season than this time last season as we sit surprisingly in a play-off place at the halfway stage :D dispelling the media’s prediction of another relegation battle. It’s not that we’ve improved in front of goal but rather we’ve improved defensively as we’re shutting teams out and turning games round to draws which we would’ve lost last season. Alan Lynch leads our goal scoring charts as usual as he’s found the back of the net 12 times this season while his new strike partner Michalis Tsakogiorgos has also found the onion bag a few times as he’s claimed 6 goals so far. The big difference though is the new additions we’ve made to the squad as they’ve brought both quality and consistency to the team, something which we were lacking last season. As I mentioned Michalis Tsakogiorgos has settled in well scoring 6 goals but it’s the arrival of Mihai Popa who I’ve been impressed with as not only has he scored 4 times already for us from the right wing but he also recommended Iulian Popescu to us who looks fantastic for this level. While the arrival of our new players has put us well over my wage budget, I feel they’re worth the risk and could take us to that next level that we’re after; an established BSP side with a realistic chance of promotion to the Football League.

However, talking about the wage budget risk, I received this option in my news ticker. Obviously with such a great first half of the season, I’ve altered my expectations to a top half finish which coincidentally falls in line with our current wage total :D.

As for the cups…well, as usual we’re out of the FA Cup before Christmas as Swindon Town beat us 2-0 in the 1st round but we’re still in the FA Trophy where we meet Oxford United in the 2nd round. I’m not holding my breath though as Oxford are seen as strong favourites for both the FA Trophy and the League after coming down from League Two last season.

My aims for the remainder of the season… : Now I’ve increased our expectations to a top half finish, that’s what the aim for the remainder of the season has to be. While we’re flying high in the league at the minute, I’d have to be foolish if I thought a push for promotion was likely for us this year…maybe next season but not now.

Much better season than last so far, Raware! :) As for the offers you're getting...I always play as though it were me, so I usually go if the offer is good. My loyalties can be bought with wages and prestige ;) However, there's a couple of teams that will always have my heart.

Much improvement upon last season, so far. It's impressive to see you above teams such as Oxford and Crewe, who you would think are 'too big' for the BSP.

I wonder if Popescu is any relation to the legendary Gheorghe of Spurs and Barcelona fame?! :D

Going great, Popescu looks like he could play a couple levels up, great signing.

Cheers City2000. I have our right wiger Mihai Popa to thank for Popescu as he recommended him to me :D.

Much better season than last so far, Raware! As for the offers you're getting...I always play as though it were me, so I usually go if the offer is good. My loyalties can be bought with wages and prestige. However, there's a couple of teams that will always have my heart.

Thanks cerud. I try and play as if it was me too, the two offers I've had so far just didn't feel right despite being higher rep leagues. Like you I can also be bought :D and also have a couple of teams that will always have my heart.

Starting to move forward again I see.

Hopefully it continues!

Cracking start in the league. Popescu looks an excellent signing for BSP side.

Thanks roganp. I'm hoping Popescu can fulfil what looks to be exciting potential.

Much improvement upon last season, so far. It's impressive to see you above teams such as Oxford and Crewe, who you would think are 'too big' for the BSP.

I wonder if Popescu is any relation to the legendary Gheorghe of Spurs and Barcelona fame?!

Cheers AK. I'm surprised at how much Crewe and Oxford are struggling this season. Oxford are actually odds on favourites for the title this season!

Gheorghe Popescu went through my mind too when I signed Iulian :D. Now Gheorghe was a player as were his compatriots Hagi and Dumitrescu who I loved watching.

Brilliant start in the league,hopefully the side will be able to reward you loyalty.

Cheers B.W.G. I'm hoping so too.

Awesome mate.

Cheers mate :thup:

When I first signed Irishman Alan Lynch 4 and a half seasons ago when I first took over as Coalville Town manager, I never imagined how much of an impact the man would have on 1) Coalville Town as a club and 2) my FM career. The man has been nothing short of immense for me during my time with Coalville Town and has to rank as one of my best, if not the best signing I’ve ever made (a big statement I know). In just 4 and a half seasons the man has just notched up his 100th league goal for Coalville Town :D and considering those goals have come in 4 different leagues, each league rising in quality as we’ve progressed, I think that’s a great achievement :thup:.

If I’m honest, I’ve never heard of Alan Lynch and while yes, although his goals have come in leagues which aren’t known for their quality, to score as consistently as he has earns my FM respect. So I’m curious…has anybody else ever heard of him and if so, how has he performed for you?

Going very well.
Amazing start to the season, lets hope you can keep it up! :D

Thanks fellas :thup:.

Great read great to see coalville up there inspired me to start one with colne fc wish me luck!

Thanks Plobdork. I presume Colne FC are your local side? I'd of liked to have played with my local side really Long Eaton United FC who also play at Level 9 but there wasn't an available database or one that I knew that was as realiable as uncle rons. So I chose my next closest local team and that's Coalville Town as the Father-in-law supports them.

Gald this save has inspired you and good luck in taking Colne FC to the heights of English football! :thup:.

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2015/16 : Last day of the season

I usually only do three updates a season but with things looking so tight on the last day of the season, I feel it’s worthy of an update :D

With a great first half of the season for us, I was expecting us to fade away in the second half of it and end up finishing mid-table, which considering the media expected us to finish bottom of the league again would be a great achievement for us. However, we’ve managed to continue our great form from the beginning of the season to leave us sitting in the play-off places on the last day of the season with a chance of claiming the title and things looking very tight at both ends of the table.

Lastgame.png

Admittedly, the odds are in the favour of Darlington, Fleetwood and Eastleigh (who actually came up last season from the BSS and have made an incredible impact on the league) but there’s still a chance for us, especially looking at the fixtures on the last day of the season. League leaders Darlington meet 2nd place Fleetwood while 3rd place Eastleigh play Ebbsfleet who narrowly missed out on a play-off place. We face Chelmsford who despite it looking the easier game out of the title race games, they’re fighting for their life and some would argue it’s the most difficult game out of the three.

Lastday.png

One things for sure, what ever happens it’s going to be a rollercoaster of a last day of the season for both ends of the table!

Edit : Having look at the last day table and fixtures again, I'm actually wrong :o. I thought there was a chance of us claiming the title as I thought Fleetwood were on 76 points but they're actually on 77 points, the same as Darlington which means that with Darlington and Fleetwood playing on the last day, mathmatically we can't claim the title. A win for either side would obviously leave one of them finishing on 80 points and a draw would leave them both on 78. Even if we win our game, we'd only finish on 77 points so 2nd is the highest we can finish.

I guess I need to pay more attention in future!

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2015/16 : Review

Blue Square Bet Premier/Blue Square Bet Premier progress/Blue Square Bet Premier fixtures : Well, a fantastic first half of the season for us put us in a play-off place at the midway point of the season but with the strength of the league and the lack of depth in our squad I was expecting us to fade away in the second half of the season. But we didn’t as we maintained our great form to go on and finish 3rd and qualify for a play-off place :D.

Blue Square Bet Premier play-offs : We went into the play-offs with no real expectations so it wasn’t a surprise when Eastleigh (who are new boys to the division themselves this season after winning the BSS last year) beat us 2-0 in the Semi-Final 1st leg. After that defeat I wasn’t too hopeful for the 2nd leg, but we showed great character to get back into the game as Jamie Richards grabbed his 11th goal of the season to make it 1-0. We needed one more goal to take the game to extra time but it wasn’t looking likely…but then that man, Alan Lynch, right on cue, popped up in the 89th minute to save us and take the game to extra time :D. That last minute goal seemed to spur us on and somewhat deflate Eastleigh, understandably as it was left to Mihai Popa to grab the winner and send the fans into raptures as we went through to the final. Unfortunately for us though, whether we used all of our energy or luck up in the semi’s, we didn’t perform in the final and after all of the seasons hard work, it ultimately meant nothing as AFC Telford beat us 1-0 to take their place in the football league next season.

Still, we can have no complaints about the season considering we had no aspirations at all of promotion this season.

FA Cup : Out in the 1st round as Swindon Town deservedly beat us 2-0.

FA Trophy : We made it all the way to the Semi Final this year where after a 1-0 win in the 1st leg against Fleetwood put us a step closer to the final. But Fleetwood fought back in the 2nd leg and grabbed themselves an injury time winner to ensure it would be them in the final. They ended up losing to Colwyn Bay in the final.

Transfers : We made some key signings this season with the arrival of Robbie Willmott (who left later on in the season), Zlatko Janjic, Michalis Tsakogiorgas, Mihai Popa, Todd Kane and Jordan Pearce all of which I briefly touched upon in the pre-season report. As the season progressed and with the squad looking thin and jaded we made a few other signings as in came Danny Potts, Iulian Popescu, Gunnar Porsteinsson and Jeanvion Yulu-Matondo all on free transfers.

Squad : I was confident that the squad had more than enough quality to exceed the medias predication of relegation and with the addition of the players we made this season, maybe even quietly confident of a top half finish. But I wasn’t expecting them to make the impact they did as they were at times unplayable. Alan Lynch was again our top scorer for the fifth season in a row as he again hit 20+ goals for the season while his new strike partner Michalis Tsakogiorgas also hit double figures as he claimed 12 goals. One other player who hit double figures was surprisingly our centre half Jamie Richards as he scored an incredible 11 times while Laste Dombaxe became our first international player as he was capped for the Angola main squad for the first time. While the squad did fantastically well this season, they did start to become jaded around February and considering how thin our squad is, I’ll have to look at bringing in some new faces over the summer to prevent burn out again next season.

Finances : We were nearly £200k in the red before our play-off games but those 3 games saw us hit the black again…only just though.

My views of the season… : Despite the obvious disappointment to lose the play-off final, I’ve got to be delighted with our season as no one gave us a chance of survival let alone promotion.

My aims for next season… : I’m tempted to say play-offs after our showing this season.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Coalville Town     Evo-Stik League First Division South       1st      League Champions
2012/13  Coalville Town     Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division     1st      League Champions
2013/14  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet North                      1st      League Champions
2014/15  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       13th     -
2015/16  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       3rd      -

Brilliant improvement on last season but unlucky with losing in the playoff final.
A very good season Raware despite just missing out.
Maybe next year?
The Blue Square Bet Premier league is usually tight, but not that tight!

Unlucky fella, always next season.

Unlucky in play-offs but a fantastic career so far.

Thaks fellas :D

So close to another promotion. Must say I like that you're finding it harder to get promoted now though. Games really aren't fun if you fly up the leagues too fast. But maybe you can take the step next season?

Me too. I was a little worried when we were promoted three times in a row but it's starting to level out now.

Unlucky on just missing on promotion, but moving up 10 league places is great progression.

Thanks roganp. It's a massive step for us and puts us firmly up there with the other top BSP teams. Hopefully we can build on this progression.

Is Alan lynch a club legend or icon yet?

He's not an icon yet (he should be!) but he's on the favoured personnel list...as am I :cool:.

Unlucky to miss out on the playoffs, but still, you have to be pleased with a third place finish :)

A couple of decent signings, and you'll be laughing all the way to the Football League

Thanks AK. Yep, despite losing in the final I'm really pleased with how quickly we've progressed in this league. It's just finding those decent signings now :D.

As I’ve reached the end of the season and having enjoyed a few threads around here recently which have included the Dutch, German and Belgian leagues, I’ve decided to add the Dutch, German and Belgian leagues to my save :D to 1) see how things are going in Holland, Germany and Belgium and 2) to hopefully manage there sometime in the future :D.

Leaguesadded.png

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2016/17: Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

Blue Square Bet Premier : Board expectation - Respectable league position : Media expectation - 15th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 1st round

FA Trophy : 2nd round

Transfer budget : £0k

Wage budget : £6.27k p/w

Current wage bill : £6.66k p/w

Season tickets sold : 203 (+5 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : Well the media don’t have us down as relegation candidates for the first time in 2 years and the board are wanting a respectable league position, which lifts the pressure off us after narrowly missing out on promotion last season…my expectations however are to try and match last seasons achievements and reach the play-offs. Anything less and it has to be classed as regression despite overachieving last year. To help us try and do that, we’ve made a few pre-season transfers as in come Femi Ilesanmi, Sean McDermott and Will Evans all on free transfers, Junior from Histon on a free, Emeka Yusuf from Worksop on a free and perhaps my most pleasing signing John Hargreaves from lower league Corby on a free who my scouts tell me has the potential to become a good Premier League striker in the future :D.

Archived