From the terraces to the top...hopefully!

Raware

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely attracting the attentions of some good names.
Those are some very good jobs for what you have accomplished so far! From playing in front of 400 spectators to nearly 25,000? :D

It's a big jump to be linked with clubs like those...and flattering too. However, rumours are all they were as nothing materialised. Not that I'm disappointed though as I don't feel ready to leave Coalville just yet.

Would be more than a little strange to jump from the tier 6 to tier 1 IMO. You've done excellent so far of course, but a bit strange the game links to such lucrative jobs so early on.

I agree. Not a moan but it is a bit strange to potentially jump from the BSN to the Championship, although some managers have done it in the past (Nigel Cloughs move from Burton to Derby springs to mind) but it doesn't happen often. Either way, I didn't get offered anything so it doesn't matter now ;):D.

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2014/15 : Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

Blue Square Bet Premier : Board expectation - Stay clear of relegation : Media expectation - 24th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 4th Qualifying round

FA Trophy : 1st round

Transfer budget : £0k

Wage budget : £3.79k p/w

Current wage bill : £3.66k p/w

Season tickets sold : 195 (+117 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : The step up in quality should now be more apparent with some good teams in the league and given our media pre-season predictions of finishing bottom and the board wanting us to avoid relegation, my expectations have to match them. If we can avoid an immediate return to the Blue Square Bet North, I’ll be more than happy.

I don't think those job offers are that unrealistic to be honest - when you consider this is a young manager who has had three straight promotions and three of those job offers are for L1 clubs. A manager like that would be in demand I think - Southampton may just want to rebuild and feel a young manager with such a ridiculous success rate is worth a punt on.

Any manager that gets three consecutive promotions to the BSP I think would be seriously looked at by any L1/2 clubs that had a vacancy, and maybe even a few Championship ones.

I don't think those job offers are that unrealistic to be honest - when you consider this is a young manager who has had three straight promotions and three of those job offers are for L1 clubs. A manager like that would be in demand I think - Southampton may just want to rebuild and feel a young manager with such a ridiculous success rate is worth a punt on.

Any manager that gets three consecutive promotions to the BSP I think would be seriously looked at by any L1/2 clubs that had a vacancy, and maybe even a few Championship ones.

I understand what you're saying as quite a few managers IRL make the step up from the BSN/BSP to L1/L2 level. I think what Pangaea meant was jumping from the BSN to the Prem, or at least I think he was as he said from tier 6 to tier 1. As you say, I don't think it's unreasonable to think a struggling L1/L2 side would look to a successful manager a couple of leagues below them.

Come on The Ravens, another promotion!

Indeed! I think we may have hit the glass ceiling now though after such a rapid rise.

I agree with CityAndColour on the job prospect so great news on the interest

It's nice to feel wanted :D

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2014/15 : Mid-season update

Blue Square Bet Premier : We knew we were going to be in for a difficult season and it’s been just that so far as we hit the halfway mark of the season with ourselves languishing above the relegation zone, just 8 points above it. While we seemed too good for the Blue Square Bet North last season, I can’t help but feel that we’re not quite good enough for the Blue Square Bet Premier and maybe our rapid rise through the divisions was too quick; maybe we could’ve of done with a few consolidation seasons in the BSN. Relegation is still most definitely a possibility for us and considering our recent 8 match winless streak, we need to turn things around quickly or face an immediate return to the Blue Square Bet North. The man I’m pinning our hopes on is our usual saviour, Alan Lynch who’s grabbed himself 13 league goals so far (14 in all competitions). He must continue his good form throughout the remainder of the season though for us to stand any chance of survival…and of course, avoid injury, something which we’ve not managed to do this season with at least 3 players out at the same time amongst the squad.

Onto the cup competitions and it’s been hit and miss for us with us once again going out at the 4th round Qualifying stage of the FA Cup, this time to Lowestoft of the Blue Square Bet North but making it to the 2nd round of the FA Trophy where we play Bishop’s Stortford away. If I’m honest, I couldn’t really care about cup competitions this season, my only aim is to keep us in the Blue Square Bet Premier.

My aims for the remainder of the season… : Simple…to stay up!

Best of luck, your league looks very tight

Thanks, it is very tight. I think even teams as far down as 10th still have a chance of making a push for promotion.

I'd be happy sitting in your position.

I'm more than happy with our progress so far this season. Avoiding relegation is my only aim.

Pretty good debut season in the Blue Square Premier so far. You're already 8 points clear of relegation, despite a bad run of form recently, so I have all faith in you surviving. That said, some of the most fun in FM is had in nailbiting relegation struggles :)

Doing well so far,hope you can keep your head above the water :D

Me too!

Pretty good debut season in the Blue Square Premier so far. You're already 8 points clear of relegation, despite a bad run of form recently, so I have all faith in you surviving. That said, some of the most fun in FM is had in nailbiting relegation struggles :)

Absolutely. It's actually a refreshing change to have a relegation battle on my hands, which is what we should have after such a rapid rise through the divisions. I do try and play the game as realistically as possible (including transfers and scouting) so when we had 3 straight promotions, my interest in this save did wane a little. But this season has regained my interest in the save :D.

Despite us struggling in the Blue Square Bet Premier this season, I must be doing something right as I’ve received my first job offer :)

Hartlepoolapproach.png

I’ve asked to delay the decision for a week but I think I already know that I will reject the offer as they’re struggling in League One, have a fairly poor squad, have financial issues and look likely to be relegated. Plus, I’d like to try and take Coalville to the Football League before looking to move…if I move that is.

Not the Maaaahnkey 'angers! Anyway, did the job offer not feel good or you knew that it wouldn't?

Jeff Stelling would be proud! :D I rejected the offer as it just didn't feel right. Hartlepool are in a poor state and I feel that they're on a downward spiral...fast.

I certainly feel you have warranted the interest being shown in you, continuing to do a fantastic job at Coalville.

Nice to see Lynch still banging the goals in!

Thanks City2000. I still can't believe anyone hasn't made a bid for Lynch since he's knocking the goals in every season.

If you've rejected, it's definitely the right choice.

Yep, I rejected it as it just didn't feel right financially and looking at the squad and the club overall they look in a poor state.

Despite our recent successes over the past few seasons, we’re still struggling financially and can’t seem to make any kind of profit. So, it seems that after numerous cash injections to keep the club afloat, our chairman has finally decided that the time is right to hand the club over to other investors as I received these pieces of news in my news ticker…

Takeoverbid1.png

Takeoverbid.png

Good or bad news…I’m not sure. Hopefully, whoever takes over gives us more financial clout than we currently have.

Financially insecure!?

In comparison to me they're rolling in it. Got 3x the amount of wage budget I have!!! Fuming! :p

In comparison to our current wage budget at Coalville, they have 8x the amount of what we have! But still, overall they look in a worse financial state than we are. You know when it just doesn't feel right?

What would you do if it was a tycoon?

I'd probably wet my pants, childish I know :D. It's something I've never had on any FM, along with having a stadium named after me and of course having a son.

Things a bit more tricky in the BSP then ;)

I'm not surprised the club's finances aren't too hot; considering how many stadium improvements they've had to make, it just isn't sustainable for a Level 6/7 club to make so many upgrades in a short space of time. Success comes at a price in FM! :D

Never had a fans trust takeover, so will be interesting to see if that works any differently to a regulation takeover. I'm predicting you won't get any investment, though!

After months of long and drawn out discussions regarding the clubs future, we finally have new owners in the form of a fans trust. While it’s not the millions of pounds of investment I wanted ;) at least the club is back in the hands of the fans…

Fanstrusttakeovercompleted.png

…and at least the new chairman has given me a chance to maneuver in the transfer market now by freeing up some cash…however, that comes in the form of a £325k bank loan in which we’ll be paying back £1.5k per month.

Loanrepayments.png

A fan takeover would be interesting though. Do they offer funds? Never had that, nor the three things you mention.

As you can see, they haven't invested any funds but have taken out a loan which does free up a little bit of cash for us, in the short term of course.

I can understand the 'not feel right' feeling. I usually only go for jobs that you just know you'll enjoy! :)

My feelings too. I don't want to go to a club where I won't be enjoying myelf.

Things a bit more tricky in the BSP then ;)

I'm not surprised the club's finances aren't too hot; considering how many stadium improvements they've had to make, it just isn't sustainable for a Level 6/7 club to make so many upgrades in a short space of time. Success comes at a price in FM!

Never had a fans trust takeover, so will be interesting to see if that works any differently to a regulation takeover. I'm predicting you won't get any investment, though!

A lot more tricky in the BSP, which I expected really.

As you say, it just isn't sustainable for a Level 6/7 club (we were actually a level 8 club when I took over ;)) to make so many upgrades in a short space of time. But we have to look at the long term and making the upgrades we have are necessary if we want to progress to the next level :D even if it means going into debt.

You were right about the lack of investment too. No money; but a loan which will help us out in the short term.

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2014/15 : Review

Blue Square Bet Premier/Blue Square Bet Premier progress/ (Due to an issue regarding the selection of fixtures, I’m not able to provide a screen shot of the league fixtures) : We knew we were going to be in for a difficult season and an immediate return to the Blue Square Bet North was very much a possibility with everyone tipping us to go straight back down. But after a slow start to the season which left us perilously hanging above the relegation zone at the mid-season point, we managed to string a few results together to go on and finish mid-table, 13th in fact :D to by far surpass the boards and my own expectations!

FA Cup : Out at the 4th Qualifying round stage again to lower league opposition :(. We just didn’t turn up.

FA Trophy : Out in the early stages of the competition again but really my priority this season was to stay in the BSP.

Transfers : Again, our poor financial state meant we had to look to the free transfer market if we wanted to get players in. And we did as some good players joined us this season in the form of Steven Gregory, Adam Marriott, Alex Goodman, Hichem Slimani, Liam Dick, Callum Gallgher, Steven Lennon, Elton Monteiro, Chimdi Akubuine, Jamie Richards, Jake Buxton and Bruno Pilatos.

Squad : I did worry that given the pre-season predictions from both the media and our board, we’d really struggle to stay in the Blue Square Bet Premier this season. But I needn’t had worried as the group of players we brought in gelled well with the existing players we had to eventually help us finish well above where we were predicted to finish. As usual, and I seem to say it every year now, Alan Lynch was our star player as he hit 20+ goals again for the 4th season in a row which now takes him to a record 89 league goals for the club (for a player that scores so consistently, I’m amazed no club has tried to come in for him yet). I was also pleased with our Angolan connection on the right side of our squad as both Bruno Pilatos and Laste Dombaxe seemed to form a quick understanding and produced some fine displays throughout the season. One other area I was pleased with this season was the newly formed central defensive partnership of Jake Buxton and Jamie Richards who will be key for us over the next few years due to our current defensive duo Marlon Broomes and Pedro Miguel Cardoso Monteiro leaving the club at the end of the season. Both players have been fantastic servants to the club and an integral part of our rapid success of the last few years. But age catches up with us all and they were caught out a few times this year at this level. Should either of them go into coaching/scouting though, I’ll definitely look to bring them back to the club such is the fantastic service they’ve shown to us over the last few years.

Finances : Looking a lot better now we’ve got a new board and chairman but that’s only down to a £325k loan that they took out. Hopefully the reason we went into debt (stadium expansions) will start to repay us over the next few seasons in the form of higher gate receipts.

My views of the season… : A great season for us especially as no-one gave us a chance of survival this season.

My aims for next season… : People will still have us down as one of the weaker teams in the division but I’m hoping for another season of consolidation. Mid-table again and I’ll be happy.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Coalville Town     Evo-Stik League First Division South       1st      League Champions
2012/13  Coalville Town     Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division     1st      League Champions
2013/14  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet North                      1st      League Champions
2014/15  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       13th     -

Echoing what others have said already, that was a solid season of consolidation. Should be able to push on a bit next year :thup:

Excuse my immaturity, but the child in me thinks it's hilarious that you've got a Dick with the potential to be one of the best at the club :D I hope you've got a good tutor! :D

Bit more of a challenge this time.

Definitely!

Brilliant signing this season

Maybe you can put a push for the playoffs next season

I was pleased with some of the signings we made this year, they definitely helped us stay away from the drop. Not sure about the push for the playoffs though :confused: but I hope you're right.

Very solid debut season that. Something to build on for the future.

Thanks Pangaea. It gives us a very good base to build from.

Real nice solid season there, something to build from.

And I was wondering where Marlon Broomes had got to!

Thanks City2000. Marlon Broomes has been excellent for us over the past few years but has started to show his age is catching him up this season as he got caught out a few times. I think he's done well though to carry on playing till 37. I'm feeling it when I play now and I'm 31!

Echoing what others have said already, that was a solid season of consolidation. Should be able to push on a bit next year.

Excuse my immaturity, but the child in me thinks it's hilarious that you've got a Dick with the potential to be one of the best at the club. I hope you've got a good tutor!

Thanks AK. Hopefully 13th or above for us next season.

No need to excuse the immaturity...I giggled myself :D especially when my coach sent me a message saying that he'd compiled a report on Dick!

From 1st three times in a row to 13th. Bit of a fall?

How the mighty fall eh? ;) Well, hardly mighty ;)

Not much to add on top of what everyone else has said, definitely a very solid season. Can see you pushing up a few places next season.

Thanks roganp. That's the aim, progression. I don't think we're good enough just yet though to progress to a promotion push next season.

Booo you weren't champions this season!

Get that league winning streak started again ASAP.

I'll settle for three straight league titles (even if they were Mickey Mouse titles ;)). I think it may be a while now though before we get our league winning streak back on as there's some good teams in the BSP and the gulf between leagues is now becoming more apparent.

Well...I guess you're allowed one season like that. But still, a decent season in which you'll be able to grow and steady the squad in preparation for League play. Well done!

Thanks cerud. My only aim this season was just to avoid relegation so to have a season like we did I've got to be happy :).

'The club will return to the hand of the thousands of fans'. Oh yeah definitely thousands. :D

Good solid first season in the BSP. :thup:

Ha ha, it made me laugh too considering we sold a massive 195 season tickets this season!

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2015/16 : Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

Blue Square Bet Premier : Board expectation - Safe mid-table position : Media expectation - 24th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 4th Qualifying round

FA Trophy : 1st round

Transfer budget : £6k

Wage budget : £4.09k p/w

Current wage bill : £4.93k p/w

Season tickets sold : 198 (+3 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : The media once again have us down as dead certs for the drop but after our performances last season, I’m confident that we can match last seasons mid-table finish. To back up my belief of a mid-table finish are the signings we’ve made during pre-season. It’s been a while since I’ve been excited at pre-season but the signings of Robbie Willmott on a free, former Brentford man Janjic Zlatko on a free, Michalis Tsakogiorgas for £6k and Mihai Popa on a free, both from Colwyn Bay, Todd Kane from H&W Welders on a free and Jordan Pearce from Blyth on a free lead me to believe that we’ve added some real quality to squad, quality that we were missing last season.

Archived