From the terraces to the top...hopefully!

Raware

I'm more inclined to follow the bookies, If they screw up they're down the hole for lots of money. If the pundits screw up it's merely reputation.

Very true. I'd like to follow the bookies too as a media predicted relegation scrap isn't what I really fancy! :D

Just read through this. Great work so far and good luck in the League Two.

Cheers.

A great read so far, well done on reaching The Football League.

For years now I've always wondered what it would be like to manage Prescot Cables (the non-league club closest to me) and thanks to uncle ron it is possible. I only got FM12 a few days ago but reading this has inspired me to start a career with them.

KUTGW!

Thanks. I'd say go for it. There's nothing really like trying to get a local club up the echelons of the football pyramid. This is the furthest I've ever got in trying to take a club from the bottom to the top.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2017/18 : Mid-season update

npower League Two : I’ve got to be delighted with our performances so far in our debut season in the Football League as we sit comfortably in mid table with not a sign of relegation on our minds :D. We’re not even that far from the play-offs but I think thinking about that is a bit premature for us right now! Despite my backroom staff continually telling me that Alan Lynch is far from good enough for our squad, he continues to be our best performer as he’s hit double figures already this season notching up 10 goals in 22 games while John Hargreaves is our other player who has been amongst the goals (I say amongst the goals, he’s only got 5 but is our second top scorer). While I’m obviously aware that we can still be easily dragged into a relegation battle, I’m actually confident that we have enough to avoid an immediate return to the BSP

As for the cups, well I don’t need to tell you that we’re out of both the FA Cup (after going out to Cheltenham on penalties in the 1st round reply) and we’re out of the Carling Cup (after Rotherham sent us packing also in the 1st round). However, we’re through to the Johnstone’s Paint Pot North Final where we meet Wrexham.

My aims for the remainder of the season… : To ensure that we don’t become embroiled in a relegation fight. Mid table and I’ll be happy.

Going great so far, to have a shot at making the playoffs in your debut season in the Football League is fantastic.

Glad to see Lynch still banging in the goals. Have to keep ignoring those dissenting voices from the staff, will be a sad day when he goes!

Very well done.
Cracking start.
Fantastic start, keep it up
Looking very tidy; midtable, and not shipping too many goals either. You're the Swansea of League Two
Good start to Football League life.

Cheers fellas :thup:

Going great so far, to have a shot at making the playoffs in your debut season in the Football League is fantastic.

Glad to see Lynch still banging in the goals. Have to keep ignoring those dissenting voices from the staff, will be a sad day when he goes!

Impressive start so far and still in with a real shot of making the playoffs.Nice to see Lunch still banging them in,hope he can carry on doing so.

Cheers guys. I'm surprised how "Lynchy" has adapted to every step up we've made despite my coaches constantly telling me he isn't good enough. He's by far the clubs all time leading goal scorer as he sits on 129 league goals and is just 42 league appearances away from breaking the clubs all time league appearance record; yet he's only on the favoured personel list. Surely he's got to be a legend?!

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2017/18 : Review

npower League Two/npower League Two progress/npower League Two fixtures : An unbelievable debut season for us in the Football League which saw us prove everyone wrong (including myself) to easily avoid relegation and to in fact finish 4th in the league and with that, a chance of another promotion!

npower League Two play-offs : We went into the play-offs with no expectations on us so it was no real surprise when Walsall beat us 3-2 in the first leg. We still had a chance though in the second leg and after the game finished 2-1 in normal time, it was us who grabbed the winner in extra time to take us to the play-off final :). That however, is where our luck ran out though as after a tentative game that finished 0-0, it was us that lost on penalties as Carlisle took their place in League One.

Still, we can have no complaints about the season considering we were odds on favourites to go straight back down.

FA Cup : Out in the 1st round after losing the replay on penalties to Cheltenham.

Carling Cup : Also out in the 1st round after Rotherham beat us 2-0.

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy : We surprisingly made it all the way to the North Final but that’s as far as we went as Wrexham beat us over the two legs.

Transfers : Quite a bit of activity for us in the transfer market this season as in came Steve Overton from Gainsborough for £275, Charlie Lee from Ballinamallard Utd on a free, veteran Kieran Richardson on free, another Romanian Antonio Danciu on a free, George Ray on a free, Shaun Kelly on a free, Jan Kapral on a free (who later left for £85k) and Paschal Smith and Tommie Hoban (who I’ve agreed to sign on a permanent basis) both on loan. Out of the door saw us ease our financial worries slightly as we recouped £125k.

Squad : I was slightly worried at the start of the season that we wouldn’t have enough quality to stay in the league but the squad of players proved me and everyone else completely wrong as they looked more than comfortable playing at this level. Alan Lynch who my backroom staff keep telling me isn’t good enough for this level had another decent season as he scored 14 times in 48 games, not prolific I know but that takes him to 133 league goals for the club making him the clubs all time leading goal scorer while John Hargreaves finished as our top scorer for the season, notching 15 goals in 45 games. Mihai Popa also had a decent season for us as he scored a few while also creating a few and Antonio Danciu looked like a great piece of business for us as he had a good debut season for us while also attracting the interest of a couple of European clubs. The only problem with the squad now though is that with the exception of 5 or 6 players, the rest of them are still on part time contracts so during the off-season I’ll have to look to try and get all of the players onto full time contracts meaning there probably won’t be any new arrivals next season as we will have reached our wage budget getting everyone to full time.

Finances : Looking a lot better than previous years but we’re still considered financially insecure. Probably because of the repayments we have to make each month and the cash injections the board keep making.

My views of the season… : Like our last play-off final appearance in the Blue Square Premier a few seasons ago which also finished in us losing out in the final, I’m obviously disappointed but overall I have to be delighted with the season considering no-one gave us a chance of survival.

My aims for next season… : Whether this season was just luck we have to aim for a similar place next season if we want to look at progression.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Coalville Town     Evo-Stik League First Division South       1st      League Champions, Evo-Stik Chairmans Cup Winners
2012/13  Coalville Town     Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division     1st      League Champions
2013/14  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet North                      1st      League Champions, Isthmian Charity Shield Winners
2014/15  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       13th     -
2015/16  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       3rd      -
2016/17  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier    		       1st      League Champions, FA Trophy Winners
2017/18  Coalville Town     npower League Two  			       4th      -

Great debut in the Football League, although it's always a disappointment to go out in the playoffs and especially on penalties in the final.

Hopefully you can make a step up next season and get direct promotion :thup.

Was a great season, a real heartbreaking way to end the season but it shows you have a team ready to compete at the top end of League 2. Good luck for next year, hopefully you can go one better.
Great season overall and a nice building block for next season.
Excellent season.
Excellent first season in the football league,although losing in the playoffs on penalties is always gutting.
Stone the Ravens. Impressive Football League debut.

Thanks fellas :thup:.

Congrats on the upgrade! Sucks on the playoff loss.

Cheers Deisler. The playoff loss did hurt a bit but I suppose we have to be glad we actually made it to them.

So close to back-to-back promotions (again!). Still, I'm sure you're delighted about the season overall.

Overton looks like a handy 'keeper; not a bad acquisition for 275 quid ;)

Very pleased with our season overall as I am too with our bargain in Overton. Already have Ipswich sniffing after him.

In all my saves Huddersfield have made the Premier League easily without fail, nice to see them down there.

Cracking season anyway :thup:

Thanks HC

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2018/19: Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

npower League Two : Board expectation - Respectable league position : Media expectation - 17th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 1st round

Carling Cup : Learn from the experience

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy : Learn from the experience

Transfer budget : £100k

Wage budget : £10k p/w

Current wage bill : £13.83k p/w

Season tickets sold : 632 (+133 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : Despite us making the play-offs last season the media and the board both have us down to finish mid-table/lower half of the table but after our exploits last year, I can’t help but feel that we should be pushing for a repeat of what we accomplished last season this season; we have to if we want to look at progressing. To help us do that this year I’ve blown my transfer budget and massively overspent on our wage budget as we’ve brought in Tommie Hoban, Stefan Pierce on loan who is touted as the next Stuart Pearce, another Romanian in Lucien Floruţ and former Hearts striker Calum Elliot.

Onto the club side of things and we’ve finally moved into our new stadium :D and we’ve once again substantially increased our season ticket holders as now 632 supporters have season tickets :D.

Congrats on moving to the new stadium. How big was it now again?

You're stuck with it for 20-odd years, but as you are still far down the league pyramid that should be fine. Crowds don't really go off the chart until the Premier League.

Cheers. Our new stadium is a 7591 all seater, not massive I know but a step in the right direction.

Your scout really must love the red-light districts of Romania! ;)
And his Bucharest 'girl in every city'.

:D. Our newest Romanian makes it 5 in the squad now. My scouts can only actually scout the UK and Ireland...our Romanian additions have come through our existing Romanians recommendations...although if my scouts could scout abroad, I'm sure they'd be in the red-light districts! :)

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2018/19 : Mid-season update

npower League Two : After a slow start to the first half of the season for us which saw us fail to win in our first 4 games and also go on a run of failing to score in 5 games, we’ve actually managed to pick up 6 more points than we had this time last season to leave ourselves in a play-off position at the halfway mark of the season which I’ve got to be delighted with. Our new signing Calum Elliot seems to have settled in well as he’s grabbed himself 8 goals so far this season while his strike partner John Hargreaves has got himself 7 goals. Unfortunately though it looks as if club favourite Alan Lynch’s Coalville Town career maybe coming to an end as he’s finding it increasingly difficult to perform at this level and with his contract due to expire at the end of the season, it’s looking unlikely that I’ll offer him a new contract. It’ll be a sad day :(.

As for the cups, well put simply…we’re out of all of them :( as Sheffield United dumped us out of the Carling Cup in the 1st round (HotChocolate will be happy ;)), Coventry City knocked us out of the Johnstone’s Paint Pot in the 2nd round and Wrexham sent us packing in the FA Cup 2nd round after a replay.

My aims for the remainder of the season… : With no involvement in any cup competitions now this season we must look to try and achieve what we did last season at least, so a play-off place is a minimum.

Well done keeping it up.
Going strong in league two.

Cheers fellas :thup:

We are Blades men, super Blades men, from the Lane.

How far did we eventually get? It annoys me when you get knocked out of a cup and the team that knocks you out gets knocked out in the next round.

You actually got knocked out in the next round after losing 1-0 to Bristol City :D;)

At the lane at the lane,There All f***** wa***r's at the lane. Feel for you Raware

If it's any consolation (well, not to Hot Chocolate ;)), Sheff Utd are still in League One while Wednesday are flying high in the Prem.

You actually got knocked out in the next round after losing 1-0 to Bristol City :D;)

Boo to us.

That will be consolation to crag, he is a deluded Wednesday fan after all and probably thinks that will happen sometime in real life.

-----

I forgot what was the score last night anyway? I heard it was Massive 0 Tiny Little Stevenage 1, surely not? :D

Looking good so far,shame about the early the cup exits.
Gutted on all the cup exits for you.

I'm used to the early exits :(. We've had one decent cup run in my 8 seasons so far and that was in my first season where we unbelievably reached the FA Cup 3rd round from entering it at the 1st Qualifying round! Hopefully, we're due another cup run soon...we could do with the money :)

Solid going so far in the league. Hopefully you will be up there come the end of the season.
I feel your pain, I have had 1 cup run in 7 seasons. I did manage to win it mind :p

Cheers guys :thup:

In a nice position, hopefully you can make the playoffs at least.

Will be the end of an era if Lynchy moves on, maybe in a few years you can bring him back on the coaching staff!

Thanks City. It will be a sad day indeed after 288 league appearances and 136 league goals for us :(. He's no where near good enough for this level now but I'm still tempted to offer him a years extension on his contract just out of sentiment. He's only 9 games off the clubs record for league apps. What d'you think?

Thanks City. It will be a sad day indeed after 288 league appearances and 136 league goals for us :(. He's no where near good enough for this level now but I'm still tempted to offer him a years extension on his contract just out of sentiment. He's only 9 games off the clubs record for league apps. What d'you think?

Is a great record he has, I would keep him around just to get him the club record I reckon but then i'm a sucker for keeping club legends way longer than I should anyway :D

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2018/19 : Review

npower League Two/npower League Two progress/npower League Two fixtures : After last seasons defeat in the play-off final I wanted us to at least match last seasons exploits of reaching the play-offs again this season. But that wasn’t looking likely at the start of the season as we made a slow start which left us hanging around the bottom end of the table. At the halfway mark of the season though, that expectation was looking possible as we got our act together to drag ourselves up to 6th and as the season progressed we continued our form to go on and clinch the last automatic promotion place after Scunthorpe and Gillingham finished well ahead of us. No promotion lottery for us this year :D and a 5th promotion in 8 years for us :D.

FA Cup : Out in the 2nd round to Wrexham after a replay.

Carling Cup : We were always the underdogs in this game so it was no real surprise that The Blades sent us packing at the first hurdle.

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy : Disappointing not to make it as far as we did last season but again, we drew a big team in the 2nd round as Coventry City ended any hope we had.

Transfers : Not much activity for us this year as we brought in quality rather than quantity as in came Tommie Hoban (who we had on loan last season) from Watford on a free, Stefan Pierce on loan from Middlesbrough, former Hearts striker Calum Elliot on a free and another Romanian in the form of Lucien Floruţ from FC Bihor who I blew the whole of my transfer budget on.

Squad : With the squad pretty settled and similar to last season and with the addition of our four new players, I was quietly confident of a repeat of last season and making the play-offs. We did in fact just sneak into the last automatic promotion place ahead of MK Dons and Cheltenham thanks mainly to the goals from our new Scottish acquisition Calum Elliot who hit 21 goals in 47 games. John Hargreaves also got in on the goal scoring fun as he finished with 14 goals in 43 games and Antonio Danciu had a fine season too as he grabbed himself 11 goals from midfield. One disappointment though is the decline of club favourite Alan Lynch who unfortunately looks ever increasingly unable to perform at this level and with his contract due to expire at the end of the season, I’m not sure he’ll cope with League One football next season. Shame, as he’s only 6 games off becoming the clubs all time appearance holder. I’m not sure whether to, out of sentiment, offer him a years extension just to claim his place in the Coalville history book…surely he deserves to right?

Finances : Although we’re in the black we still lost over half a million pounds this season. Quite worrying really but hopefully the step up to League One and a nice little cup run (we’re due one!) can help our finances out.

My views of the season… : A fantastic season which culminated in a 5th promotion in 8 seasons for us as we’ve gone from the Evo-Stik League First Division South to the npower League One…not a bad meteoric rise! :D

My aims for next season… : It’s got to be nothing more than to avoid an immediate return to League Two.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Coalville Town     Evo-Stik League First Division South       1st      League Champions, Evo-Stik Chairmans Cup Winners
2012/13  Coalville Town     Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division     1st      League Champions
2013/14  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet North                      1st      League Champions, Isthmian Charity Shield Winners
2014/15  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       13th     -
2015/16  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       3rd      -
2016/17  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier    		       1st      League Champions, FA Trophy Winners
2017/18  Coalville Town     npower League Two  			       4th      -
2018/19  Coalville Town     npower League Two			       3rd	Promotion to npower League One

Archived