From the terraces to the top...hopefully!

Raware

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2021/22 : Review

(*NB: Due to a bug in which the competitions cannot be filtered, Carling Cup and FA Cup results are included in the Championship fixtures)

npower Championship/npower Championship progress/npower Championship fixtures : We flew out of the blocks at the start of the season and as we hit the midway point of the season, we found ourselves sitting in a play-off place. As expected though, we fell off the pace in the second half of the season due to one reason or another (injuries and suspensions, not to mention lack of depth in the squad) and ended the season finishing 9th, just narrowly missing out on a play-off place.

FA Cup : For the 3rd year in a row we were sent packing in the 5th round as Liverpool ended any hopes we had, beating us comfortably 2-0.

Carling Cup : More improvements in this cup as we reached the 4th round (the furthest we’ve ever reached in this cup) before again, Liverpool sent us on our way.

Transfers : Loads more activity in the transfer windows for us as we spent a net of £700k as most of our targets came in, in pre-season. As touched upon in the pre-season update, those that arrived were Chris Roberts from Chesterfield for £325k, Jazz Martin (who joined us on a permanent basis after 2 successful loan seasons with us) from Manchester United on a free transfer, Ivan Lazic from Mladost CKB on a free, Petr Kadlec from Hradec Kralove for £55k, Ian Morrison from Coventry City for £300k, Marko Vesovic on a free transfer, Phil Ferguson on a seasons long loan from Manchester United, Vanco Veljanovski from Varazdin and Norman Kurauzvione from Pribram who I smashed the clubs transfer record to bring in as well as Marcao from Guarani on a free transfer and Craig Holmes from Motherwell for £100k in the January transfer window.

Squad : I had no concerns about the quality in our squad to avoid a relegation battle but I had slight concerns about the lack of depth in our squad to cover injuries, suspensions, etc. And after our great start to the season, my concerns seemed to be proven right as injuries and suspensions to key players meant that we dropped off the pace slightly to just miss out on the play-offs. Still, the players did fantastically well as John Hargreaves produced a season that we have grown to expect of him as he netted 21 times in 48 appearances while his strike partner Norman Kurauzvione had a steady first season with us as he hit the back of the net 10 times in 46 games. One other player that I was particularly happy with was our Irish midfielder Willie Foley who scored 9 times as well as grabbing some valuable assists and with that, the attraction of clubs like Hearts and Middlesbrough.

Finances : Still looking steady as we have over £2 million.

My views of the season… : A fantastic follow up season in the Championship for us which can be renowned for encountering the 2nd season syndrome. Considering consolidation was my only aim this year, to be in with a shout of the play-offs and only just narrowly miss out on them is a signal that we’re making great progress.

My aims for next season… : We need to improve the squad again if we’re to improve on this season and I’ll be looking to do that in the off season to give us a chance of building a realistic chance of making a promotion push next season.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Coalville Town     Evo-Stik League First Division South       [b]1st[/b]      League Champions, Evo-Stik Chairmans Cup Winners
2012/13  Coalville Town     Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division     [b]1st[/b]      League Champions
2013/14  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet North                      [b]1st[/b]      League Champions, Isthmian Charity Shield Winners
2014/15  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       13th     -
2015/16  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       3rd      Lost in the play-off final
2016/17  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier    		       [b]1st[/b]      League Champions, FA Trophy Winners
2017/18  Coalville Town     npower League Two  			       4th      Lost in the play-off final
2018/19  Coalville Town     npower League Two			       [b]3rd[/b]      Promotion to npower League One (automatic)
2019/20  Coalville Town     npower League One   		       [b]2nd[/b]      Promotion to npower Championship (automatic)
2020/21  Coalville Town     npower Championship			       13th     -
2021/22  Coalville Town     npower Championship			       9th      -

[b]Bold[/b] indicates promotion
[i]Italic[/i] indicates relegation

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stay is what I'd do.
You're doing great with Coalville Town. I can understand if you want to leave though just for the change.
Yeah stay.
I'd stay,you've done so much and I reckon you could achieve even more with Coalville.
I think staying is everyone's default position now
Another great Coalville season.

I say stay.

Thanks for all of your input guys :thup:. I was really tempted to take it as progress is getting quite slow now and with no silverware in 6 years, the lure of some in Scotland was enticing me :D. I've decided to reject it in the end in the hope of taking Coalville Town "from the terraces to the top" :o ;)

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2022/23: Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

npower Championship : Board expectation - Respectable league position : Media expectation - 11th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 4th round

Carling Cup : 3rd round

Transfer budget : £4.1 million

Wage budget : £77.9k p/w

Current wage bill : £92.2k p/w

Season tickets sold : 1662 (+23 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : Having cemented our place as a strong Championship side now and given the board’s and media’s expectations of a mid-table/top half finish for us, my only aim this season is for just that. Although we only just narrowly missed out on a play-off place last season, I could be tempted to say we could push for promotion this year but I don’t want to put any more unneeded pressure on us and undo all of the good work we’ve done so far. To help me try and achieve my goals this season I’ve blown my transfer budget of £4 million during the pre-season transfer window and brought in Filipe Resende from Olhanense for £1 million, Lapa from Krasnodar who I smashed the clubs transfer record to get in at £2.7 milion, Simon Walls from Torquay United, Phil Ferguson from Manchester United (after spending last season on loan with us), Fletcher Chenoweth from Bournemouth, Jazz Richards from Leeds United, Joseph Shaughnessy from Linfield, Bife from Paris St-Germain and Danny Baker from Totteham Hotspur all on free transfers and Carl Welch from Manchester United for £500k. Out of the door saw 9 players leave as we recouped just under a million pounds, which has helped us a little but we still sit nearly £2 million in debt and are £14k p/w over our wage budget. Hopefully a good cup run can make amends for our over-expenditure :D.

You've really grown the Ravens over the years. Seeing them as a consistent Championship League club must be good. Think there's potential to challenge for the Premier League in a couple seasons?

This time you'll make it and you heard it here first.

Hope you're right :)

You've really grown the Ravens over the years. Seeing them as a consistent Championship League club must be good. Think there's potential to challenge for the Premier League in a couple seasons?

Thanks cerud. It's very satisfying to see a club I've taken from the Evo Stik League First Division South to the npower Championship (and keep them there), something I've never managed to do before. Hopefully, I'll be able to take them to the top flight and get that English Hero achievement. I think the potential is definitely there, it's just fulfilling that potential. We're a very small club with small facilities, small finances and a small reputation meaning it's going to be difficult but I'm quietly confident that in a few seasons we could be in a position to challenge for promotion.

It's gonna be a lot easier with £40m every year from TV money.
It'll be worth waiting for, the money can really help you push on.

Definitely. It's just getting there first :D

Not when you don't have a chance to win one in 14 years. :D

You had the Johnstone's Paint Pot to play for ;)

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2022/23 : Mid-season update

npower Championship : As we reach January we find ourselves sitting in the dizzy heights of a play-off place with half of the season still left to play :). Thanks to some great performances which has seen us taking a leaf out of Arsenal’s book and winning games 1-0 (8 games have been won 1-0) we’ve confounded the critics (and myself) by looking like genuine challengers for promotion this season. Much of that is down to Norman Kurauzvione who’s finally looking worth every bit of the £1.5 million I splashed out on him last season as he’s grabbed 10 goals in 17 games. However, with those performances have come the attention of some of the bigger clubs, namely Chelsea and Derby as both teams have put an offer in for him, which my wonderful chairman has accepted on my behalf :mad:. While I understand an offer like that is a massive amount of money for a club like us and with us currently sitting £3 million in debt, I can reason to some extent as to why the chairman accepted the bid, but for us to build on the success we’ve had in recent times, we should be looking to keep our better players. With Norman Kurauzvione now almost certain to sign for Chelsea or Derby, the pressure will be back on John Hargreaves, who’s struggled to find his form from last season, to find the net for us.

As for the cups and it’s the same old story in the Carling Cup for us we were knocked out in the 3rd round by an impressive Norwich City side. Our FA Cup 3rd round tie is the next fixture up for us and given the fact that we’ve drawn Exeter City at Coalville Stadium, we should be looking to progress.

My aims for the remainder of the season… : Given our fantastic start to the season I would’ve said promotion was a real possibility for us but given the fact now that Kurauzvione and his goals will almost certainly be leaving us in the January transfer window, it makes the prospect of promotion a little more difficult unless we can bring someone else in straight away. With the funds from the Kurauzvione transfer only serving to help us get back in the black financially, it looks unlikely that anyone else will be coming in straight away.

Damn Chairmen...although that would completely erase your debt. And you're only a point off of 2nd and automatic promotion! The second half of the season should be interesting :thup:

Damn Chairmen...although that would completely erase your debt. And you're only a point off of 2nd and automatic promotion! The second half of the season should be interesting :thup:

Damn chairmen indeed! Considering how much I've changed the fortunes of Coalville in recent times, the damn chairman and board never grant any of my requests :(. Kurauzvione went to Derby in the end for £3.5 million, and as expected the goals have dried up. Should make a very interesting second half of the season.

Cracking first half to the season. You are nicely poised.
Excellent first half to the season,hopefully it can continue for you this season.
Great start mate!
Hope you can hang in there in the upper reaches of the table.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping, despite the sale of Kurauzvione, we can maintain challenging for a place in the upper end of the table, maybe even an outside promotion push.

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2022/23 : Review

(*NB: Due to a bug in which the competitions cannot be filtered, Carling Cup and FA Cup results are included in the Championship fixtures)

npower Championship/npower Championship progress/npower Championship fixtures : We had a great first half of the season which left us sitting in a play-off place by the new year but given the fact that we lost our top striker, Norman Kurauzvione in January, thanks to the chairman stepping in and accepting a £3.5 million bid from Derby, I was cautious that we’d fall off the pace and struggle to score goals in the second half of the season. That didn’t happen though and we continued to maintain our form (notching up 8 straight wins at one point) to go on and claim 2nd spot and with that, an automatic promotion place to the Premier League! :D

FA Cup : After 3 consecutive seasons reaching the 5th round, we could only make it to the 4th round this season as Fulham easily disposed of us.

Carling Cup : An early exit for us again in this cup as Norwich beat us 1-0.

Transfers : Our only activity in the transfer windows were at the start of the season which saw us bring in Filipe Resende from Olhanense for £1 million, Lapa from Krasnodar who I smashed the clubs transfer record to get in at £2.7 milion, Simon Walls from Torquay United, Phil Ferguson from Manchester United (after spending last season on loan with us), Fletcher Chenoweth from Bournemouth, Jazz Richards from Leeds United, Joseph Shaughnessy from Linfield, Bife from Paris St-Germain and Danny Baker from Totteham Hotspur all on free transfers and Carl Welch from Manchester United for £500k.

Squad : I had no concerns about the quality we had in the squad given our recent acquisitions, only a lack of depth. But given our small wage budget (78k), small in comparison to the majority of Championship teams, we had no choice but to remain with a small squad. They did magnificently though even with the loss of our top scorer in January with John Hargreaves upping his game since Kurauzvione’s departure to go on and net 15 goals for the season. Willie Foley had another fine season grabbing 9 goals and 11 assists while Bife had a decent debut season for us, netting 8 goals from midfield. Now we’ll be playing Premier League football next season though, I have to look at bringing some quality additions into the squad to prevent an immediate return to the Championship.

Finances : Not looking great as we’re nearly £8 million in debt (£5 million of that though is due to a stadium expansion). Premier League TV money and attendance money should help to get us back in the black soon though.

My views of the season… : A tremendous season for us culminating in promotion after just 3 years in the Championship. Considering the spine of our team hasn’t changed much, we’ve made tremendous progress in such a short period of time.

My aims for next season… : Two things…1) Improve the squad with some quality additions 2) Avoid relegation.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Coalville Town     Evo-Stik League First Division South       [b]1st[/b]      League Champions, Evo-Stik Chairmans Cup Winners
2012/13  Coalville Town     Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division     [b]1st[/b]      League Champions
2013/14  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet North                      [b]1st[/b]      League Champions, Isthmian Charity Shield Winners
2014/15  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       13th     -
2015/16  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier		       3rd      Lost in the play-off final
2016/17  Coalville Town     Blue Square Bet Premier    		       [b]1st[/b]      League Champions, FA Trophy Winners
2017/18  Coalville Town     npower League Two  			       4th      Lost in the play-off final
2018/19  Coalville Town     npower League Two			       [b]3rd[/b]      Promotion to npower League One (automatic)
2019/20  Coalville Town     npower League One   		       [b]2nd[/b]      Promotion to npower Championship (automatic)
2020/21  Coalville Town     npower Championship			       13th     -
2021/22  Coalville Town     npower Championship			       9th      -
2022/23  Coalville Town     npower Championship			       [b]2nd[/b]      Promotion to the Premier League (automatic)

[b]Bold[/b] indicates promotion
[i]Italic[/i] indicates relegation

Finally! Congratulations.
Massive congrats on Promotion.Coalville hitting the big time now :D

Cheers fellas! :D Looking forward to seeing Premier League football in little ol' sleepy Coalville :)

With promotion comes a change in leadership as our chairman has decided to step down. I can’t say I’m disappointed as over the years we haven’t seen eye to eye on many things with more times than not, him rejecting any request I made. However, the new chairman doesn’t sound much better with no sign of extra funds being made available :(.

CoalvilleTown.png

Coalville Town

Season 2023/24: Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

Barclays Premier League : Board expectation - Stay clear of relegation : Media expectation - 20th (out of 20)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 5th round

Carling Cup : 4th round

Transfer budget : £10 million

Wage budget : £182k p/w

Current wage bill : £182k p/w

Season tickets sold : 3400 (+1738 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : With ourselves now in the Premier League, our only expectation this season is to avoid an immediate return to the Championship. To help us try and achieve that, the board has given me £10 million to spend plus a generous £182k per week to spend on wages which I’ve used to bring in Ben Carter from Chelsea on a free transfer, Ahmed Ragab from Vannes OC on a free transfer, Jack Graham from Villareal for £4.5 million, Kevan Nash from Stoke City for £3 million, Patrick Carrick on a free transfer after his contract expired at Arsenal, Blake Young from Tottenham Hotspur for £2.5 million and Neil Hughes and Connor Westlake on free transfers, who both have gone out on loan to get some first team experience.

It’s going to be a difficult season for us no doubt about that, especially given the first 9 fixtures of the season :eek:. If we can get out of those relatively unscathed and pick up a few points, plus given the additions we’ve made, I think we might just have enough quality to escape the drop, providing of course we can stay clear of injuries and suspensions.

Archived